BAMA- What are you really getting from them? - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
As long as it feels like my car is actually tuned like you're saying idc what tune they sent me lol. I called and they said Paul has been busy so he hasn't written the tune yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
llJAEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post
Damn I wish I could get this tune on my car but unfortunately it's a lease. I did get a Pypes axle for cheap and installed, that's the only mod I got so far. This tune I would love to get especially because I am following my boy to bimmerfest in Maryland next weekend and I know the BMW guys are gonna call me out. With this tune I should be good.
Well, 100% don't tune a lease LOL. Buy it and then tune it!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Damn I wish I could get this tune on my car but unfortunately it's a lease. I did get a Pypes axle for cheap and installed, that's the only mod I got so far. This tune I would love to get especially because I am following my boy to bimmerfest in Maryland next weekend and I know the BMW guys are gonna call me out. With this tune I should be good.
ricketkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
For example, MPT takes 3 days to send a tune out. You can rush it for an extra $35, but that's not too appealing. Even if you get it tomorrow, definitely have to give the edge to Bama. Same day or 1 day vs. 3 days? Bama wins hands down in that department.

Initially yes it takes about 3 days but if you data log with them you get revisions in a few hours or a couple days at most and they send out tunes on weekends and holidays.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Initially yes it takes about 3 days but if you data log with them you get revisions in a few hours or a couple days at most and they send out tunes on weekends and holidays.

Cool! They said they do a bunch of data logging on weekends I just remembered

Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

So I drove up to NH today with the 87S tune in... Averaged 28 MPG but I was going 85-100 the whole time so I didn't get the best mileage but still happy. Made it 386 miles to my destination on literally 1 exact tank (found a gas station with 0 miles to E lol). Took the highway paintman recommended and it was beautiful! Great drive. I received my 93 tune from MPT but I forgot my laptop at home... So looking like it will probably be Sunday I try it out since I can't do it on an iPad. Excited to try it out after all the good things I've heard. The Bama 93race seems to really have lost some pep, not just because I'm used to it... The low end power seems to have vanished. I switched from 87S to it today so I thought that would reset my adaptive shifting and I've only had it tuned for a week so I didn't think I would need to do the fuse 47 tune... Maybe I will try that.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That is one thing I noticed about the tunes is that they eventually start to have less pep. I don't know if its just a automatic thing or if its the tune itself. Can any MPT or people with other tunes/automatics confirm or deny?
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
That is one thing I noticed about the tunes is that they eventually start to have less pep. I don't know if its just a automatic thing or if its the tune itself. Can any MPT or people with other tunes/automatics confirm or deny?

I know to pull fuse 47 but it's only been literally a week... And shouldn't switching from tune to tune reset it and fuse 47 pull is just easier then retuning?

Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I know to pull fuse 47 but it's only been literally a week... And shouldn't switching from tune to tune reset it and fuse 47 pull is just easier then retuning?

From my understanding of the threads I've read on the topic, switching tunes will not reset it. You need to do the fuse 47 pull. And I don't think you can assume it's not going to be affected in 1 week. When I eventually tune, I will use the relay solution so that it resets on every key-off.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
From my understanding of the threads I've read on the topic, switching tunes will not reset it. You need to do the fuse 47 pull. And I don't think you can assume it's not going to be affected in 1 week. When I eventually tune, I will use the relay solution so that it resets on every key-off.

I will try pulling it today hopefully. I just hate working on my car in any way when I'm a few states away from home god forbid anything goes wrong. Maybe I will before dinner. I haven't had enough time to make a relay and I don't know if I will anytime soon looks like I'll just have to pull it. Should I leave it out for 10 minutes or longer? I've read 10.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Or you can reset the KAM on the tuner.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will try pulling it today hopefully. I just hate working on my car in any way when I'm a few states away from home god forbid anything goes wrong. Maybe I will before dinner. I haven't had enough time to make a relay and I don't know if I will anytime soon looks like I'll just have to pull it. Should I leave it out for 10 minutes or longer? I've read 10.

I think 10 should be fine, again this is just based on what I've read, so take it with a grain of salt. But don't worry about pulling a fuse leading to you being stranded in NH... this can hardly be called "working on your car". You'll be fine.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Or you can reset the KAM on the tuner.

That will work just as well as the fuse 47 pull? I won't lose my tunes or anything right? That sounds better than waiting 10 mins for the pull

Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That will work just as well as the fuse 47 pull? I won't lose my tunes or anything right? That sounds better than waiting 10 mins for the pull

And how do I do that lol

Old 07-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And how do I do that lol

It might depend on what tuner you have. You have SCT right? Did some google searching and it says it's under "Special Functions".

kam reset on sct tuner
Old 07-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but resetting the KAM is the equivalent of disconnecting your battery and losing all "keep alive memory". So you will also lose radio presets, correct? And probably other stuff that I don't know about. So although resetting the KAM will reset the PCM, it's not exactly "equivalent" of the fuse 47 pull because you'll also be resetting EVERYTHING else, right?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
By the way, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but resetting the KAM is the equivalent of disconnecting your battery and losing all "keep alive memory". So you will also lose radio presets, correct? And probably other stuff that I don't know about. So although resetting the KAM will reset the PCM, it's not exactly "equivalent" of the fuse 47 pull because you'll also be resetting EVERYTHING else, right?

I definitely don't want to have to reset everything. I'll just try the fuse 47 pull later. Anything I need to use to pull it or just pluck it out with my fingers

Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I definitely don't want to have to reset everything. I'll just try the fuse 47 pull later. Anything I need to use to pull it or just pluck it out with my fingers

Some needle nose pliers would help if you can get your hands on some while out of town. I believe our Mustangs come with a "fuse pulling tool", but it's in the compartment for the other fuse box which is behind the passenger side kick panel. Look up "fuse" in the index of your owner's manual, it should say how to get to it there.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Aite so I finally loaded my 91R beta tune that I received from Paul few days ago. I have tried MPT for a week, without any doubt it has smooth acceleration along the curve.

And now Bama tune: well, it certainly feels quicker (maybe a tad bit more than hybrid tune) but it still has acceleration gaps between 2400-3200 rpms. Does it edge MPT out? Probably not.

I will most likely post a detailed review of Bama 91R beta vs MPT after I'm done data logging for both, have driven for a few days on both revised tunes.

Ps: i have MPT 87 performance. I made a mistake while choosing octane level (yes I was on Internet Explorer lol), and they said I have to buy a separate 91 tune. Yes this 87 tune feels stronger than Bama 91R at this point. I'm on 91 octane gas in my car.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Some needle nose pliers would help if you can get your hands on some while out of town. I believe our Mustangs come with a "fuse pulling tool", but it's in the compartment for the other fuse box which is behind the passenger side kick panel. Look up "fuse" in the index of your owner's manual, it should say how to get to it there.

Thanks for all the info. Man! You've been super helpful!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Aite so I finally loaded my 91R beta tune that I received from Paul few days ago. I have tried MPT for a week, without any doubt it has smooth acceleration along the curve.

And now Bama tune: well, it certainly feels quicker (maybe a tad bit more than hybrid tune) but it still has acceleration gaps between 2400-3200 rpms. Does it edge MPT out? Probably not.

I will most likely post a detailed review of Bama 91R beta vs MPT after I'm done data logging for both, have driven for a few days on both revised tunes.

Ps: i have MPT 87 performance. I made a mistake while choosing octane level (yes I was on Internet Explorer lol), and they said I have to buy a separate 91 tune. Yes this 87 tune feels stronger than Bama 91R at this point. I'm on 91 octane gas in my car.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

Interesting. I would call Bama back and get with Paul and try and get some more low end throttle response, it sounds like that's what you're lacking a little. That sucks that MPT won't switch your octane for you. Would be nice if they would... That's where Bama wins with free tunes for life for sure.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Grabber, you said you ran 87S on your way up to NH. How does that compare to stock?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Grabber, you said you ran 87S on your way up to NH. How does that compare to stock?

It is definitely quicker than stock. Doesn't have the high end power that race does. Really comparable to performance IMO. In all honesty the 87 street was weaker than the 93 performance, obviously, but if they were both 87 or 93 they'd probably feel almost the same, with a little more drive ability to the edge probably, super smooth shifts, more so than the performance

Old 07-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting. I would call Bama back and get with Paul and try and get some more low end throttle response, it sounds like that's what you're lacking a little. That sucks that MPT won't switch your octane for you. Would be nice if they would... That's where Bama wins with free tunes for life for sure.

Yeah ima call em first thing tomorrow but I gotta do a data log first. I live in a crowded town, not really easy to find a spot to go full wot without catching attention from popos lol. I was supposed to get these tunes over 2 weeks ago (I'm the original test mule lost in history haha), but something came up and I didn't get em till beginning of this week.

I'm dying to mod this car, but at the same time I'm itching to have a v8 under my arse.. gosh so many decisions to make lolol :p

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

This is awesome man
cameron43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Are you saying the 91R is a little bit faster then 91H? Right now I run the 91H

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Are you saying the 91R is a little bit faster then 91H? Right now I run the 91H

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
BAMA 91R beta tune I'm on feels sort of quicker than their old hybrid tune for sure. By how much? This is subjective, the difference is not significant tbh. I still need to get it revised, it has acceleration gaps. Much like the hybrid I was on for good 6 months.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
BAMA 91R beta tune I'm on feels sort of quicker than their old hybrid tune for sure. By how much? This is subjective, the difference is not significant tbh. I still need to get it revised, it has acceleration gaps. Much like the hybrid I was on for good 6 months.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Thank you! I called Bama yesterday asking if they could make my tune a little more aggressive and they told me to wait a couple of weeks because they are working on new tunes..no more hybrid tune....is this beta tune part of this new tunes?

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Thank you! I called Bama yesterday asking if they could make my tune a little more aggressive and they told me to wait a couple of weeks because they are working on new tunes..no more hybrid tune....is this beta tune part of this new tunes?

Yeah, they are testing out their new revamped tunes. They will be more aggressive, as per Bama's claims.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

Aite so I called BAMA this morning; Paul wasn't in, so I spoke to Pat. Who I believe was filling in for Luis today, if you know what I mean lol. Here's how it went:

ME: I have been asked to test your 91R beta by Paul. I am having some issues with it. It pulls nice down low and at high rpms. However, there's an acceleration gap between 2400- 3200ish rpm. As in, it hesitates/doesn't pull as hard when my car enters this rpm range. It sort of feels sluggish before taking off again, much like stock ford tune.

Pat: Hmm that's interesting. We have never had that complaint before (duh!! How would you, if your tunes are still in beta phase and are not rolled out to public yet)

Me: I have a MPT tune as well, and my car doesn't act wonky on it. Got linear/smooth acceleration across all rpms. I guess your tune lacks power in mid rpms.

Pat: Hmm again thats interesting. MAYBE ITS SOMETHING TO DO WITH YOUR CAR. (seriously are you friggin kidding me dude?! I'm no pro like you, but I ain't a dumbass either. I'm comparing how car is responding to 2 different tunes, I can tell where the difference is)

Me: Well, how could that be something to do with my car when I have zero issues running MPT tune?

Pat: Yeah we have never heard of this problem again (umm isn't that the reason I am calling you guys?!?)

Me: Aite I will do some data logs and talk to Paul on Monday. At least he will have some numbers to look at to revise my tune.
----

I seriously doubt BAMA's professionalism at this point. I mean Paul was really nice over the phone when he took my order, and he wanted to make sure I am satisfied. But the rest of his team members are a joke. Like guys c'mon I ain't some lunatic wasting my precious time on purpose with you guys, I am on phone because I have paid big money and I need to be satisfied with I am getting.

Alex from AM: If you're reading this post, I'd seriously like to request a refund for my money at this point. Its been close to an year going back and forth to get a perfect tune. Sadly, it hasn't happened yet. On the contrary, my MPT tune feels great 'right out of the box' with no issues what so ever. I hope you can see what I am trying to say here.

For the record, I'm running MPT 87 tune, and its way better than BAMA's best '91' tune. I can only imagine what MPT 91 would do.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have a question about your beta tune and MPT tune. I'm running the Bama street tune (91s or 93s, whichever it is). When I accelerate, in say 2nd gear and let off, the rpm stay high for a bit then will come down to idle. This is rather annoying and may sound like I missed a gear to anyone around. My question is do any of the tunes you have eliminate this? I have asked Bama in the past if this can be eliminated and I was told no.

Jeremy
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
BAMA- What are you really getting from them?

Quote:
For the record, I'm running MPT 87 tune, and its way better than BAMA's best '91' tune. I can only imagine what MPT 91 would do.

It would be a beast that's what it would do. I got my 91 MPT tune and did data logging with them to make it as aggressive as safely possible and my six is a beast on it. I seriously doubt Bama could come close at this point. Maybe after a few months of revising there tunes they may come close but I don't think they will match or beat MPT's tune as far as performance and street ability. Now on the track they will probably be close with the edge going to MPT as others have proven but if you daily your stang I don't think you can get a better tune than MPT at this point. I mean they are very good at tuning the 3.7.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Pat: Hmm again thats interesting. MAYBE ITS SOMETHING TO DO WITH YOUR CAR. (seriously are you friggin kidding me dude?! I'm no pro like you, but I ain't a dumbass either. I'm comparing how car is responding to 2 different tunes, I can tell where the difference is)

Me: Well, how could that be something to do with my car when I have zero issues running MPT tune?

Pat: Yeah we have never heard of this problem again (umm isn't that the reason I am calling you guys?!?)

Sometimes it is just how you hear or read things. Half full or half empty?

The way I read his reply is that maybe that specific Bama tune just did not work right with "your specific" car, as it was written. Something to do with your car not liking that specific tune that worked in other cars, (and they will need to adjust it to work better in your specific car). A datalog or two with each change hopefully will get it right for your car.

These are not canned tunes, and what works great for one owner with a bunch of mods will not work the same for another owner with different mods, or even different fuel, location, altitude, temperature, etc.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
Sometimes it is just how you hear or read things. Half full or half empty?

The way I read his reply is that maybe that specific Bama tune just did not work right with "your specific" car, as it was written. Something to do with your car not liking that specific tune that worked in other cars, (and they will need to adjust it to work better in your specific car). A datalog or two with each change hopefully will get it right for your car.

These are not canned tunes, and what works great for one owner with a bunch of mods will not work the same for another owner with different mods, or even different fuel, location, altitude, temperature, etc.
I completely understand where youre coming from. It would have made more sense if the person I was speaking to explained the situation like you did. Rather than taking the short route by blaming everything back at the customer. Courtesy goes a long way imo.

I have done about 4 data logs to show performance under normal driving and WOT. I will email it to BAMA tonight. Hopefully things will work out this time, it's my final straw.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Hey all sorry I've been away in NH with no service, just got home. Ended up getting a bad tank of 93 up there, pinged like crazy.... burned through that halfway home, put some 93 in, was gonna try the MPT out as soon as I got home.... then a rock came up and put a huge crack in my windshield that won't stop spreading....
Luckily I have glass insurance and I'm gonna take it in tomorrow.... but then I have to get my hood re-painted Tuesday by Ford.... I'm really hoping to get a chance to try out the MPT tomorrow after the windshield gets fixed.
I averaged 28.7 MPG over 786 miles on the trip from start to finish. 87S going up, stock going down. Up I averaged 27 but I was going 85-100 entire way up.
Sorry to hear you got that answer when you called Bama. It really sounds like Paul is on top of his stuff but can't run everything, and his "team members" are not so great.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang