BAMA- What are you really getting from them? - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #211
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Fellas, your late to the MPT party. I've been running MPT since August 2013 and its great. The race shifts are perfect for a DD and car shifts like a manual but the most perfect manual ever and mine is automatic. Anyone here who doesn't invest 75 dollars into a MPT tune, should have their head examined and have no idea what your missing. With that said I also run a bama hybrid tune and like that very much as well. Great , solid , powerful tune the hybrid tune is and happy with bama.

Here these words people. Stop delaying. Stop debating in your head. Go to your computer, go to the MPT website and order the race performance tune for 75 dollar's. You will not regret it. I'm telling you, MPT='s pure awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #212
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Fellas, your late to the MPT party. I've been running MPT since August 2013 and its great. The race shifts are perfect for a DD and car shifts like a manual but the most perfect manual ever and mine is automatic. Anyone here who doesn't invest 75 dollars into a MPT tune, should have their head examined and have no idea what your missing. With that said I also run a bama hybrid tune and like that very much as well. Great , solid , powerful tune the hybrid tune is and happy with bama.

Here these words people. Stop delaying. Stop debating in your head. Go to your computer, go to the MPT website and order the race performance tune for 75 dollar's. You will not regret it. I'm telling you, MPT='s pure awesome.

I have to agree with you 110% Kona. My 93 MPT tune with race shifts is amazing. If you told me before I tuned that it would do all that it does I wouldn't have believed it was possible. Couldn't be happier, best $75 I ever spent.
With that being said, I do like my custom 93R from Bama. I also like their free tunes for life, as I can run any tune/fuel combo I want, and if for some reason I can't find 93 I can just pop in my 87S and still be better than stock. Might have Bama play with my 87S to get it a little more kick if possible.
I am happy, and I would recommend, that you purchase the tuner from Bama so that you get free tunes for life, with your forum discount you save $24, and then the MPT tune costs you only $51. That way you get the most bang for your buck!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #213
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Sounds like I'll be ordering my tuner from MPT. Thanks to all those contributing to this thread, it's become an excellent source of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #214
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
Sounds like I'll be ordering my tuner from MPT. Thanks to all those contributing to this thread, it's become an excellent source of information.

I would get my tuner from AM using the forum discount and then purchase (1) MPT tune. My reasoning is posted above.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #215
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I would get my tuner from AM using the forum discount and then purchase (1) MPT tune. My reasoning is posted above.

Makes sense, but I would gladly pay a little more to avoid BAMA's customer service. I think I'll be content with the three tunes that come with MPT's tuner. I am looking forward to see how the tunes stack up at the track, just to see how the numbers compare.

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #216
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
Makes sense, but I would gladly pay a little more to avoid BAMA's customer service. I think I'll be content with the three tunes that come with MPT's tuner. I am looking forward to see how the tunes stack up at the track, just to see how the numbers compare.

You only get mod revisions for 6 months! And winter is coming! You will be super mad when you have to pay $75 every time you put a new mod on. I only have headers left on my performance mod list and then it is all appearance mod's for me. That's why I tuned now.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #217
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

What tune do you feel has more kick Bama or MPT

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #218
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah at the time mpt didn't have the new SCT X4 and I really wanted that tuner so I ordered from AM. With the forum discount it was cheaper and I always reasoned I could get the MPT tune I wanted later while still having unlimited tunes from Bama.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #219
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Grabber's reasoning is sound. If you decide to go with MPT, you only "need" one of their tunes. Your fastest one. For the "track" .

The other tunes can be done for fuel economy or whatever you want to do. Tunes for life is a nice thing to have in case you do some modifications like an O/R x pipe later on down the line which requires a tune to turn off the pesky DTC that will appear.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #220
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
What tune do you feel has more kick Bama or MPT

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
As much as I love my bama hybrid tune the MPT has a bit more kick. The MPT tune is more explosive from a dig and more torquey feeling. My bama hybrid tune shifts nice and pulls hard but MPT does feel a bit stronger. With that I still highly recommend bama tunes along with an MPT tune

Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #221
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
You only get mod revisions for 6 months! And winter is coming! You will be super mad when you have to pay $75 every time you put a new mod on. I only have headers left on my performance mod list and then it is all appearance mod's for me. That's why I tuned now.
I'm having a litle trouble completely understanding it but it kinda sounds like MPT will make changes for $20 once you're outside the 6 month window. I'll have to check into this further.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #222
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Yeah, but say you do your plan and you have lifetime BAMA and 1 MPT, if you get a mod don't you have to pay the $75 anyway since your one MPT tune is no good anymore? Am I missing something?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #223
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Yeah, but say you do your plan and you have lifetime BAMA and 1 MPT, if you get a mod don't you have to pay the $75 anyway since your one MPT tune is no good anymore? Am I missing something?
I said that is best since I have only one more performance mod on my list (headers). I would advise to get the tuner from AM, play witht he tunes, and work on your bolt ons, then get an MPT when you know it will be worth it for the $75 and your performance mods list is complete able in 6 months.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #224
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I said that is best since I have only one more performance mod on my list (headers). I would advise to get the tuner from AM, play witht he tunes, and work on your bolt ons, then get an MPT when you know it will be worth it for the $75 and your performance mods list is complete able in 6 months.
Oh ok, I get it. Thanks. Yeah that sounds like a very good plan and might be what I end up doing. Especially since if you are progressively modding, you can't really wait to tune. Because the car can't utilize your mods unless it is tuned for them. This way I could get new BAMA tunes every time I make a change, and when I feel like I'm "done" (though it seems like no one is ever done), get MPT to have a LOT of fun.

Can anyone play devil's advocate on this plan?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #225
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh ok, I get it. Thanks. Yeah that sounds like a very good plan and might be what I end up doing. Especially since if you are progressively modding, you can't really wait to tune. Because the car can't utilize your mods unless it is tuned for them. This way I could get new BAMA tunes every time I make a change, and when I feel like I'm "done" (though it seems like no one is ever done), get MPT to have a LOT of fun.

Can anyone play devil's advocate on this plan?
Great plan and you will not be disappointed with bama tunes.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #226
Registered Member
Regular

Loving the write up so far. I've just been sitting back and reading everything as it comes in. I did want to say that having been using my BAMA free tunes for life they have been getting increasingly better. I had done a little experiment with a couple CAI and was requesting tunes almost every other month. I never called. I've called them once and was told to just request a tune from the site so I did and haven't called back since. Right now I'm loving my 87 Street tune. Back in California I was always on 91 Race, then 91 Hybrid and when I moved out to Boston I requested the most conservative Street tune. Almost 500 lbs was loaded in my car, including myself and I avg 75-80 mph and 28.7 mpg. After arriving I requested a Street tune with the throttle response of the Race tune. So much nicer, smoother and I'm loving the low end grunt I get from it compared to the Race tune alone. Thing is I didn't quite feel much of a difference running 91 tunes vs 87 tunes. Not sure if Massachusetts has 93, haven't seen it at any gas stations. Doubt there is much difference between 93 and 91. I'm sure it's no more different than 87 and 89. Anyway I look forward to seeing more from you GB93.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #227
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Man, it sure got quiet on this thread. Are we done here or is more info on the way?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #228
Registered Member
Regular

Well, my car is in the shop getting the hood repainted and a new windshield . Won't have it back until Friday afternoon. Hoping to do some more tests once I get it back this weekend.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #229
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Well, my car is in the shop getting the hood repainted and a new windshield . Won't have it back until Friday afternoon. Hoping to do some more tests once I get it back this weekend.
Perfect day to get your ride back, just in time for the weekend
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #230
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Perfect day to get your ride back, just in time for the weekend
Not when its been in since Monday and I've had an absolute horror story with this Ford dealer.... they tried pinstriping my 'stang like a minivan.....
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #231
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Plus AM is not giving out this tune as it is in beta stage. They will be in a few weeks supposedly

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #232
Registered Member
Regular

So I currently have nearly 34K on my 2012 V6, with the 4-year 40K warranty. I found a dealer here in Michigan (thanks to FordMustang12 who also lives in Ann Arbor!) who will install 3.55 Ford Racing gears and edit the speedometer and shift points without voiding warranty, so I'm probably getting that done real soon (hopefully next week). I have 2.73s right now. I just got a job down in Texas that I'm probably going to accept. The drive down there will quickly add 1,300 miles. And we all know how Texans like to drive an hour to get to the grocery store.

Point is, my tuning plan inspired by this thread might be put into action sooner than expected.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #233
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I currently have nearly 34K on my 2012 V6, with the 4-year 40K warranty. I found a dealer here in Michigan (thanks to FordMustang12 who also lives in Ann Arbor!) who will install 3.55 Ford Racing gears and edit the speedometer and shift points without voiding warranty, so I'm probably getting that done real soon (hopefully next week). I have 2.73s right now. I just got a job down in Texas that I'm probably going to accept. The drive down there will quickly add 1,300 miles. And we all know how Texans like to drive an hour to get to the grocery store.

Point is, my tuning plan inspired by this thread might be put into action sooner than expected.
Awesome man! Any reason you went with the 3.55s instead of 3.73s?
You will love the gear + tune combo, I have 3.31s myself never experienced the 2.73s.
That sure is a long drive!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #234
Registered Member
Regular

GrabberBlue1993, without re-reading all the posts, have you done a few datalogs and sent them to Bama for tunes tweaked to exactly your conditions?

I have started my testing with different results, and am getting ready to send some datalogs to help customize the Bama tunes for my specific car and location. 87S did not work so well with new Airaid installed at same time, as it did move powerband lower, but CAI had bad rattle a WOT. Went back to stock tune and still rattle, but now pretty much solved with foam tape at top front of box. Then tested 87P and while it moved powerband back up, it feels much better and more streetable at lower speeds. Manual transmission shifts under normal driving felt much better with 87P. But of course these are still semi-canned tunes until they get the datalogs.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #235
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
GrabberBlue1993, without re-reading all the posts, have you done a few datalogs and sent them to Bama for tunes tweaked to exactly your conditions?

I have started my testing with different results, and am getting ready to send some datalogs to help customize the Bama tunes for my specific car and location. 87S did not work so well with new Airaid installed at same time, as it did move powerband lower, but CAI had bad rattle a WOT. Went back to stock tune and still rattle, but now pretty much solved with foam tape at top front of box. Then tested 87P and while it moved powerband back up, it feels much better and more streetable at lower speeds. Manual transmission shifts under normal driving felt much better with 87P. But of course these are still semi-canned tunes until they get the datalogs.
I have never datalogged with Bama. I just spoke to them, told them what I wanted, and it happened. Datalogging is mostly for issues such as your car running rich, idle surging, etc. with the 87 tunes you won't notice as big a difference as the 91 or 93 ones
Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #236
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome man! Any reason you went with the 3.55s instead of 3.73s?
You will love the gear + tune combo, I have 3.31s myself never experienced the 2.73s.
That sure is a long drive!
Ish416 has a great sticky post in the DIY forum that compares results of different gears, and the difference between 3.55 and 3.73 for the 3.7L was negligible. In other threads I have read that 3.55 is not as harsh of a ride as 3.73, and of course the fuel economy should be slightly better. Those two things outweigh such a small difference in performance, for me.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #237
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have never datalogged with Bama. I just spoke to them, told them what I wanted, and it happened. Datalogging is mostly for issues such as your car running rich, idle surging, etc. with the 87 tunes you won't notice as big a difference as the 91 or 93 ones

I was under the impression that without the datalogs, they had to keep things more conservative, and with datalogs could push things more.

The 87S also had a momentary bog or hesitation under moderate acceleration. No bog with stock or 87P tune.

I'll be doing some timed runs with current 87S, 87P and the updated versions after dataloging. Since you have gone through a lot so far with Bama, you might want to do a quick datalog to see if they feel they can do better for you, especially if it seems MPT Race tune feels better.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #238
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
I was under the impression that without the datalogs, they had to keep things more conservative, and with datalogs could push things more.

The 87S also had a momentary bog or hesitation under moderate acceleration. No bog with stock or 87P tune.

I'll be doing some timed runs with current 87S, 87P and the updated versions after dataloging. Since you have gone through a lot so far with Bama, you might want to do a quick datalog to see if they feel they can do better for you, especially if it seems MPT Race tune feels better.

I felt no need to datalog. Paul fixed my idle surging and gave me an entirely revamped tune in about an hour with no data logging. I love my Bama 93R that he made up for me. I also love my MPT 93P. The MPT is a bit quicker low end wise but they feel the same top end. I will switch between them to change it up every now and then!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #239
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Ish416 has a great sticky post in the DIY forum that compares results of different gears, and the difference between 3.55 and 3.73 for the 3.7L was negligible. In other threads I have read that 3.55 is not as harsh of a ride as 3.73, and of course the fuel economy should be slightly better. Those two things outweigh such a small difference in performance, for me.
Wow .. someone actually read a sticky!

The point of that was to show that while you certainly will feel the difference in g-force with a larger gear, in actuality, you aren't gaining much if any in terms of acceleration over a distance or distance traveled over time.

I have had several high hp cars and trucks since I was 16 (I'm 30), I've swapped out many of gears and generally found that the times I was pulling down (up to .2 difference good or bad) didn't match my butt dyno.

Now, I have the 2.73s in my 3.7. Sometimes I wish I would have bought the PP with the 3.31s, in fact if I had to do it over again, I probably would. That said, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought a Mustang.

Reading through this, it seems like I may need to order up an MPT tune and compare it to my Steeda.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #240
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to load my 87 performance tune tomorrow now lol
Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 AM   #241
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why get 3.55 gears and edit the Speedo through the dealership if ur warranty is almost up and ur going to get a tuner.. just get 3.73 gears and tune it u will save money by not having to deal with the dealership..

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #242
Registered Member
Regular

Lol and where do u get this thing where u think Texans like to drive an Hr to just go to the grocery store.. I go 5 mins down the street to Wal-Mart lol

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #243
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
Why get 3.55 gears and edit the Speedo through the dealership if ur warranty is almost up and ur going to get a tuner.. just get 3.73 gears and tune it u will save money by not having to deal with the dealership..

I think he wants to keep his warranty for as long as possible before tuning. I would definitely keep it for the drive to/from Texas since it's such a long trip and something could go wrong God forbid. He said he wants 3.55 for the better mileage and there really isn't any difference in speed (how fast you go) over distance from the 3.55s to 3.73s.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #244
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey that's a good point. Impatience? Haha, no you're right, if I waited 33K miles, why not wait 7K more and save a lot of money. But on the 3.55/3.73 issue, I posted above why I want 3.55.

Quote:
Lol and where do u get this thing where u think Texans like to drive an Hr to just go to the grocery store.. I go 5 mins down the street to Wal-Mart lol
I was just being figurative/exaggerating to make the point about how it is a fact that communities in Texas are famously very spread out, and yes even culturally (not as much a "fact") Texans don't mind driving longer distances to get places to do whatever. In Ann Arbor I might not drive even 100 miles in 2 weeks, especially in the summer, because the city is so walkable/bikeable, and just set up so that people don't need to get in a car for everything. I either bike or take the bus to work. I'm sure that's not going to be the case down there.

We have sufficiently threadjacked here... wish I didn't mention the gears thing. Gears are a touchy subject on ME. Might as well have asked "should I trade in my V6 for a V8" or "which axleback should I get?"
Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #245
Registered Member
Regular

1 more day until I get my car back!!! Can't wait to go all out on the MPT tune to see what it can do!! I'm gonna do a few street runs against my buddy's Honda he's been working on (says he can beat me LOL). 2001 accord LX. He won't tell me what he's done under the hood but I helped him install headers and a catback... I can't wait to crush his little rice mobile with my American muscle power!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang