NEW MUSTANG OWNER - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #1

Region: Texas
NEW MUSTANG OWNER

Hello all,

I'm a proud owner of a 2013 Black Mustang Manual as of a few days ago. Looking to keep this car for a long time so I wanna add some mods to it. Wheres the best place to start? Thanks in advance.

-Scott-

2013 Black Mustang Manual 6 Speed V6
Custom Wheels
scottb234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
First thing I did to my car was upgrade all the factory stereo equipment. I really enjoy my music and the stock base sound system was not going to cut it. Something like an axleback exhaust would be a great place to start actual modifications. Axlebacks are cheap and really help make your car sound not so quiet and wimpy. The pypes pype bomb axle back is my persoanl favorite and what I have on my car.
cjohnson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Welcome dude! And as for mods you first start off by saying to yourself what you prefer first, appearance? Or performance? The only things of done to my pony so far are, 20" black MSR rims and black pypes pype bombs. Everything else came stock with my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson91 View Post
First thing I did to my car was upgrade all the factory stereo equipment. I really enjoy my music and the stock base sound system was not going to cut it. Something like an axleback exhaust would be a great place to start actual modifications. Axlebacks are cheap and really help make your car sound not so quiet and wimpy. The pypes pype bomb axle back is my persoanl favorite and what I have on my car.

How did you upgrade the audio?

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I replaced the speakers with Infinty Reference 6832cf 6x8 180 watt coax loudspeakers. $60 a pair and sound better than the $150 fosgate speakers my friend put in his explorer. I also added a bazooka bta1050d subwoofer for a little boom. Mix that subwoofer with a line out converter and it sounds incredible. I had actually purchased the subwoofer for my jeep then kept it when I sold the jeep so the sound system realistically only cost me ~$150. The sub is about $250 on amazon. A great budget sound system imo.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I replaced the speakers with Infinty Reference 6832cf 6x8 180 watt coax loudspeakers. $60 a pair and sound better than the $150 fosgate speakers my friend put in his explorer. I also added a bazooka bta1050d subwoofer for a little boom. Mix that subwoofer with a line out converter and it sounds incredible. I had actually purchased the subwoofer for my jeep then kept it when I sold the jeep so the sound system realistically only cost me ~$150. The sub is about $250 on amazon. A great budget sound system imo.

Cool thanks! Was looking at bazooka subwoofers, but wasn't sure if they'd be worth it. Been hearing a lot of good things about them tho.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
Cool thanks! Was looking at bazooka subwoofers, but wasn't sure if they'd be worth it. Been hearing a lot of good things about them tho.
I absolutely love mine, hits hard, very little distortion, and is extremely cheap compared to other options. $250 for a 10" 250 watt powered subwoofer sounds like a deal to me! If you are keeping the factory head unit you need to use a line out converter though because the stock hu doesn't put out enough power for the sub, it'll work without it, just won't hit as hard. If you want I can record a video of it tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I absolutely love mine, hits hard, very little distortion, and is extremely cheap compared to other options. $250 for a 10" 250 watt powered subwoofer sounds like a deal to me! If you are keeping the factory head unit you need to use a line out converter though because the stock hu doesn't put out enough power for the sub, it'll work without it, just won't hit as hard. If you want I can record a video of it tomorrow.

Awesome man, thanks for the info that was super helpful! No need to make a video, I'll just take your word for it. Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb234 View Post
Hello all,

I'm a proud owner of a 2013 Black Mustang Manual as of a few days ago. Looking to keep this car for a long time so I wanna add some mods to it. Wheres the best place to start? Thanks in advance.

-Scott-
I would buy an oil separator. I wish my car had one since mile 1. An oil separator prevents any extra oil from going into your air intake. This will slightly increase the cleanliness and possibly the life of your engine. It literally takes no more than 1 minute to install if you know how to do it. The sooner the better - especially if you plan on keeping your car for awhile! Congratulations on the new pony!
Mustang Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #10

@Mustang Coyote,

Thanks! I'll definitely look into it. I like your pony!

Did you get the black shift knob custom installed or did it come with the car?

Custom Wheels
Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 AM   #11

Also how much does anyone know how much it generally costs to have new exhaust installed?

Custom Wheels
Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

JLT Black Mustang Oil Separator - Passenger side JLTOSP-FMV611-B (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping is the oil separator.

2010-2014 Mustang Shift Knobs*|*AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! are all the shift knobs - this is where mine was purchased.

Thanks for the compliment man! My car has American Muscle purchased parts all over it. American Muscle is simply the vendor of these parts. I am unsure of the price of an axle back install because I'd do it myself. BUT, I must say that it is a very simply task and I strongly suggest that you take it on yourself - it will feel very rewarding and save you at least $50.
Mustang Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #13

I haven't gotten mine yet (probably august). But the first things I plan to do is stripes, borla axle back, maestro idatalink/kenwood headunit + front speakers upgrade and paint correction/opti-coat.

Also little things like floor mats, raxiom led light change, etc.
Cades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
as mentioned lots of choices what matters to you.

I replaced all 4 speakers in my base model which helped a lot.

+1 on CAI & axle back for further sound mods...don't expect HP but it will sound better.

If you have a stick shift consider the MGW shifter.

it should take less than 2 hrs to replace axle backs...great job to have a buddy help you with (buy lunch) if you want to start learning how to work on cars.

enjoy the ride.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
oh yeah, white cueball shifter for the old school look
Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Get an AB exhaust on that baby! It will really liven her up. My favorite mod that I have done is my SR Performance strut tower brace. It turned my mustang into a new car handling-wise, it eliminated the body roll that I noticed was really bad in these cars stock. It's a cheap mod that you will really feel and looks great under the hood, and takes literally 5 minutes to install!
Like Strange said ^, the AB exhaust is a great place to start. It makes these cars sound like they should, and will make your car sound amazing. It is also a great place to start if you want to get into working on cars. Modding my mustang really helped me and a friend reconnect, and we meet at least weekly now to help with each others mod's or just wash and detail our cars! Def. buy lunch/provide beers!!!
The combination of an AB exhaust and a strut tower brace (I recommend SR performance) will get your feet wet in the mod world and will really show some noticeable differences in sound and handling respectively.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

1st cheap mod: Strut brace and rear sway bar upgrade. The stock tires are actually more than adequate unless you put it on a track. You'd be amazed at how far you can actually push the car before it gets sideways.

2nd: Add fog l ights. The computers in the base model are identical aside from the s ound system and sync to the premium. So the automatic lights will work as well after the mod.

3rd: Washable filter. Note that you really should clean and wash it every 6-9 months if you live in a major city.

That's it. The beauty of the base model V6s is that they are only 1-2K more than a Corolla. They are the ultimate cheap commuter car - that can still blow the doors off of anything under $30K that doesn't have a V8 in it.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
By a Barton shifter bracket first. This will make the trans shift 100% better then start with everything else that was suggested. Best $60 you can spend on a manual car

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Coyote View Post
JLT Black Mustang Oil Separator - Passenger side JLTOSP-FMV611-B (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping is the oil separator.

2010-2014 Mustang Shift Knobs*|*AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! are all the shift knobs - this is where mine was purchased.

Thanks for the compliment man! My car has American Muscle purchased parts all over it. American Muscle is simply the vendor of these parts. I am unsure of the price of an axle back install because I'd do it myself. BUT, I must say that it is a very simply task and I strongly suggest that you take it on yourself - it will feel very rewarding and save you at least $50.
Your car is gorgeous man. To the op: go with an ab exhaust as one of your first mods. hearing your cars exhaust completely changes the driving experience.. plus the 3.7 sounds amazing with an exhaust. Next I would do a tune. With these 2 mods for under 1 grand you will have a beast sounding and driving sports car. Installation should be less than $100 for the axle backs if you can't do it yourself.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

First mods I did to my 2011 and 2014 were CAI and tune. Get that computer unlocked so you can get your stock components fully performing. Super easy to install even for someone with no automotive knowledge. After that, exhaust - I went Roush. Suspension, throttle body, and better gears are my next projects.

I don't count the sound system as a "mod" more than a "fix" for the crappy stock system! (I went all out with a iDataLink/Kenwood/MTX setup).
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for adding the part about the Barton kit. The shifter in the car is pretty much lifted right out of a F150, or feels like it. I don't find it a problem, but I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in all sorts of manuals, so I can pretty much deal with anything. As someone new to a manual, it's likely to be a frustrating and rubbery feel.

You'll also want to replace the stock drive shaft if you plan to do any racing as it will blow apart at around 130mph. It's plastic(!) and a whole series of threads can be found about it. Ford's solution to this was to install a speed limiter at an absurdly low 113mph. The V6 can actually max out at over 150mph with a real drive shaft, and of course, the limiter removed.

Just something to be aware of if you plan to take it to the track. Many videos are out there of people removing the limiter to go racing and then the driveshaft grenading.

The biggest performance increase, though, will be gears. Consider for a moment that this V6 is close to the same power as the last generation V8. It only stands to reason that this V6 should be as fast. But it's not. The gearing is the reason. 2.73 stock is worthless if you want to go fast. If you swap the gears for something like 3.73s, it will go 0-60 in about 5 seconds, depending on your skill, of course.

Just expect MPG to drop. And you'll have to tweak your speedometer.

People go on and on about intake hp gains and mods and chips and all the rest, but if you want to really go faster for not a lot of money, gears are where it's at. Just expect to get dirty.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang