Lower Valance Fog Lights for Base v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Lower Valance Fog Lights for Base v6

I have a base v6 and want to purchase lower valance fogs. But it seems like the least expensive I can find are $499 for the v6. I keep seeing some that are about $130, but they state they are for the GTs only. What is it about these GT fogs that will not work on the v6? I understand that the less expensive ones say you connect the wiring of the fogs to the existing wiring in the GTs, which I am guessing the base does not have. But I saw a review from someone who said that he just connected the wiring to his side marker wiring. Will this work? Any suggestions? I just can't justify spending $499 on fogs if I can do it for about $400 less. Even if they wouldn't work alone, I could purchase the $130 fogs and get the Starkey wiring harness for $180, and still only spend about $310. Unless of course the fogs aren't compatible with the Starkey wiring. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What year?

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
What year?

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

Oh yeah, I suppose that would be helpful. 2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The V6 models that came with foglights were in the lower bumper where at the GT's did not, they have the fog lights incorporated in the grill. So that may be the price difference and it depends on what you want.

From what I've read on here and researched the GT's and V6's have the same front end so you could put a GT grill and fog lights on a V6 model. Furthermore the wiring harness for either should work and all that is needed is the new headlight switch to include the mode for the fog lights.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Gt fogs in a v6 require cutting and full grill insert with switch/harness

Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The easiest way to do it is to get the starsky kit. Very well made and requires no cutting. Litterally plug and play. The $130 ford oem kit is for GT models that want the GT/CS look with the lower lights, but already have the existing wire. If you want to save a few bucks you can purchase the starskey wire kit and buy the lower lights and switch through and online ford OEM parts supplier. Saves you a few bucks. Sjper easy to install on a base v6 and looks great. See my pictures on my profile page to see how they look.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Part of that price difference is the switch in the interior. You'll gain the automatic headlight feature from it, though, since the computers and relays for the base model are the same as the premium for a lot of the car.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
The easiest way to do it is to get the starsky kit. Very well made and requires no cutting. Litterally plug and play. The $130 ford oem kit is for GT models that want the GT/CS look with the lower lights, but already have the existing wire. If you want to save a few bucks you can purchase the starskey wire kit and buy the lower lights and switch through and online ford OEM parts supplier. Saves you a few bucks. Sjper easy to install on a base v6 and looks great. See my pictures on my profile page to see how they look.

Thank you! I kinda figured that was the difference.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Part of that price difference is the switch in the interior. You'll gain the automatic headlight feature from it, though, since the computers and relays for the base model are the same as the premium for a lot of the car.

The switch is a $25 part which I already purchased for my car. So I think the bulk of the price difference is the wiring harness.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Buy it straight from Starkey for under $400.
Mustang OEM Style Fog Light Kit – Fits V6 and Boss 302 (2013-2014) - Starkey Products
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The only thing wrong with that kit, though, is that the lamps themselves are standard projector types and not LEDs like in the factory setup. If that matters to you, that is. Otherwise, it's a pretty simple install.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang