Gear Install Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to brandonveiga Send a message via Skype™ to brandonveiga
Question Gear Install Question

Doing a 3.73 gear install on my 11 v6. Has anyone that's done a gear swap on this model before have a list of all parts used? I'm going to get the gears from AM, but I can get the shims/bearing etc. elsewhere for much cheaper than they sell their install kit for. I just need a list of everything before purchasing. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

As Jeremy Clarkson would say: POWEEERRRRR
brandonveiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Doesn't the kit on American Muscle list what's in their kit? Or are you looking for specific part numbers and such?

Sent from your mom's house.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

How many miles?

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to brandonveiga Send a message via Skype™ to brandonveiga

Old 07-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Did my at 39k all I needed was gears... A shop did it and they had to replace a bearing because it broke when they took it off...I have about 41k now and no problems

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I just did my 3.73 gears this past Friday I ordered the kit from American muscle it's always better to use that rather than use the old stuff... FYI amazing results the car feels like a beast... burn outs are so much better now... the car pulls amazing and milage didn't hurt that much.... at 70 mph I get 30-31 mpg city driving is much more enjoyable.... one bad thing though... looks like I'll need new performance tires....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you use Ford Racing gears, you likely won't need anything other than a pinion bearing and crush sleeve, re-use all stock shims in the original locations. You will need to press the bearing off the pinion and re-use that shim on the new pinion.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
I just did my 3.73 gears this past Friday I ordered the kit from American muscle it's always better to use that rather than use the old stuff... FYI amazing results the car feels like a beast... burn outs are so much better now... the car pulls amazing and milage didn't hurt that much.... at 70 mph I get 30-31 mpg city driving is much more enjoyable.... one bad thing though... looks like I'll need new performance tires....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This was my original thought. However, the kit from AM includes the wrong pinion bearing for my car (i triple checked and called them) so I would end up paying for the install kit and then buying a whole extra bearing essentially paying almost double. I found a site (rockauto.com) i can get each part individually but only want to buy the shims/crush collar/etc that i would need.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonveiga View Post
This was my original thought. However, the kit from AM includes the wrong pinion bearing for my car (i triple checked and called them) so I would end up paying for the install kit and then buying a whole extra bearing essentially paying almost double. I found a site (rockauto.com) i can get each part individually but only want to buy the shims/crush collar/etc that i would need.
How is your pinion bearing different than any other '11-'14 8.8" rear axle? The bearing in the kit worked just fine on my '12 V6.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

When I did gears in my 2011, it required a different bearing than what was used in the 2005-2009 read end, and I think some of install kits are not year specific, simply including the previously common bearing, and is incorrect.

Really all you need if to hit the Ford dealership for a pinion bearing and crush sleeve, as you want need anything else with Ford Racing gears.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The pinion bearing changed in 2011, even though all the cars used the 8.8 rear end, so its important to get the year specific one. Also, having tried to piece it together myself to save a buck its not really worth it, and caused more of a headache in the end. The AM kit has everything you need, including oil and fiction modifier (at least im pretty sure it includes the modifier). Just pay the little extra and save yourself the grief. Nothing worse than getting to a shop, having your car torn apart, and realizing you dont have all the parts.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang