JBA Shorty Headers - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You can yes, how long it will last is before starting to flake is another question.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
For what it's worth

I made some inquiries into the JBA headers and materials.
They do have all stainless steel headers (304 stainless with 304 stainless flange) but they apparently are in the long tubes.

As far as the shorty headers they said, "With our shorty headers we only offer 409 16g stainless tubing with 3/8” Mild steel flanges. The best option would be the 1618SJS ceramic coated option. They run 180 degrees cooler on the surface than a bare option and will not rust.

1618SJS
http://images.pertronix.com/Exhaust%...st/1618SJS.jpg

According to the picture they show, it looks like they provide bolts and washers to replace the OE studs. That a good idea and something that would have made the BBK easier to install.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

I ended up picking up the titanium ceramic coated Monday while they were still 25% off. I'll post up pictures when they arrive. Planning on using the jba bolts and reusing the OEM gaskets with only 17k, maybe get new OEM if I get motivated.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #109
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Haven't even opened mine yet except to check that they were in the box. It did come with a small hardware kit that I assume is the new studs. Today is my first day off since last Wednesday and I've got plenty to do, so headers are not on the agenda yet.

How much did you end up paying for the ceramic coated ones?

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

They were $432.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
I ended up picking up the titanium ceramic coated Monday while they were still 25% off. I'll post up pictures when they arrive. Planning on using the jba bolts and reusing the OEM gaskets with only 17k, maybe get new OEM if I get motivated.
Do you order your JBAs from autoanything? Somehow, I remember they only offer 15% off on JBAs. 25% off is really good deal.

Edit: just see your reply on price. 432 is very good. Congrats!
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
Do you order your JBAs from autoanything? Somehow, I remember they only offer 15% off on JBAs. 25% off is really good deal.

Edit: just see your reply on price. 432 is very good. Congrats!
Yes, it's typically 15% but end of last week through Monday autoanything was running some anniversary sale for 25% off and jba was one of the included items.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Two buyers any updates??
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Two buyers any updates??
Mine arrive tomorrow, I'll be sure to post some pictures. Will either install them this weekend or over memorial day weekend.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #115
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Two buyers any updates??

Yeah, I'm having an awesome time in Costa Rica!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Hasan is in Costa Rica right now also for pre med internship!!
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Initial unboxing. The welds look pretty good overall and the coating is well done. 1 or 2 minor surface scratches but they don't penetrate the coating. If the weather and work cooperates I'll install Friday, finish Saturday if needed.

If you want to see any other ****s let me know and I'll grab them when I get time.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #118
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Why do those ports leaving the engine look all weird? Like, not quite a perfect oval. Any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Some inconsistent in their raised sealing rings. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Especially compared to the crappy Mac headers I was sent from AM 8 months ago that went back.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #120
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Some inconsistent in their raised sealing rings. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Especially compared to the ****ty Mac headers I was sent from AM 8 months ago that went back.
Lol I will say my BBKs looked pretty good.

I was just curious because people spend 400-500 porting their intake manifolds to get everything smooth. So adding something....flawed? Would seem odd to me.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Its hard to tell, but it looks like that coating is very thick. I'd imagine the build up around the runners is just an excess of coating. That being said, it does look pretty uneven and i'd wonder about it maybe getting in the way. Who knows.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #122
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Hasan is in Costa Rica right now also for pre med internship!!

Haha, cool. He lives just an hour or so from me back home. Small world!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Initial unboxing. The welds look pretty good overall and the coating is well done. 1 or 2 minor surface scratches but they don't penetrate the coating. If the weather and work cooperates I'll install Friday, finish Saturday if needed.

If you want to see any other ****s let me know and I'll grab them when I get time.

Thanks for the pics. Definitely going to be an easy install.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Definitely going to be an easy install.
Yea, overall not too bad. A couple of tight spots for the middle bottom, not terrible just a lot of short wrench turns. I already did macs once, then removed because the passenger side was off and the midpipe wouldn't line up.

I'll find out this weekend if I've got time.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Lol I will say my BBKs looked pretty good.

I was just curious because people spend 400-500 porting their intake manifolds to get everything smooth. So adding something....flawed? Would seem odd to me.

That's kind of pricey for a port job.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #126
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
That's kind of pricey for a port job.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Not just porting though, shipping and anything else you would consider also (new gaskets as well if needed).

When people think of porting, they just think of the 350-400 charge. They don't consider all of the other things. Not super cheap to mail 2 intake manifolds back and forth.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #127
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Yea, overall not too bad. A couple of tight spots for the middle bottom, not terrible just a lot of short wrench turns. I already did macs once, then removed because the passenger side was off and the midpipe wouldn't line up.

I'll find out this weekend if I've got time.
How would you rate their install compared to the MACs? Specifically bolt access / total time?
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, Performance Package: Roush Quarter Window Scoops; Roush Jackal Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Wire Mesh Grilles; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Differential Urethane Bushings; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; MBRP XP Catbacks; Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors; BAMA 93R Tune; Royal Purple juice in everything!
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
How would you rate their install compared to the MACs? Specifically bolt access / total time?
I got them 99% installed yesterday in about 3.5 hours. I ran it and the passengers side collector needs to be tightened up a bit more but by then my wife was home and it was time to stop. Install was no more challenging than the MACs, but the pipe routing meant smaller wrench turns on more of the bolts. The install probably would have been faster but after the fitment issues I had with MAC, I test fit with the JBA bolts just enough to hold them on and verfiy everything lined up with the mid pipe. Then went back and installed them for real.

I ended up reusing the stock studs in all but 1 spot. One of the spots on the drivers side only the bolt would work. Studs because once tight they generally stay that way where bolts for the first month or so can still work back loose. I also reused the stock metal gaskets rather than the steel core that JBA provides.

Will get it all buttoned up today, go over all the nuts again after warming it up yesterday then take it for a drive and let you guys know what I think.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #129
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Thanks brother. I put headers on hold after my JBA ordering fiasco (AutoAnything over sold what JBA had in stock and was waiting on new batches to literally be manufactured.) The JBA pipe curves "appeared" that access to the mounting studs would be easier than it would be with the BBKs. An extra hundred or two is a whole lot less money when you are banging knuckles and cursing in the garage with tight clearances and workspaces.
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, Performance Package: Roush Quarter Window Scoops; Roush Jackal Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Wire Mesh Grilles; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Differential Urethane Bushings; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; MBRP XP Catbacks; Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors; BAMA 93R Tune; Royal Purple juice in everything!
Old 05-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

I ordered them on a Monday and they shipped on Thursday from jba. You probably just caught them in a production cycle.

It was still tight but not too awful of an install.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Bump for install and performance info
Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Holley Hooker Shorty Blackhearts....they've been in the business for a while.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../70303302-RHKR
Bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bump for install and performance info
Install wasn't bad at all. I think I spent about 3 hours on it and I wasn't in any hurry. I reused the stock studs on all but one spot, it was too tight so I went with one of the jba provided stainless bolts there.

Was chasing a bit of a tick sound after on the driver's side, went back and put a fresh OEM gasket in plus a skim of copper rtv to ensure no leaks.

Power wise the car is definitely smoother in the lower rpms but I wouldn't say it's a huge change up top. At some point I'll get a datalog and send it to mpt to see if any tweaks can be made with the headers now.

I was seriously considering the hooker headers, but the jba were on sale for $100 less so I went with them.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Holley Hooker Shorty Blackhearts....they've been in the business for a while.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../70303302-RHKR
this puts me in question. to my understand, the point of header is make exhaust gas of each cylinder go through same length of path. this holley design seems not achieve that.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
this puts me in question. to my understand, the point of header is make exhaust gas of each cylinder go through same length of path. this holley design seems not achieve that.
The reality is, the stockers are so poor that anything is an improvement.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Install wasn't bad at all. I think I spent about 3 hours on it and I wasn't in any hurry. I reused the stock studs on all but one spot, it was too tight so I went with one of the jba provided stainless bolts there.

Was chasing a bit of a tick sound after on the driver's side, went back and put a fresh OEM gasket in plus a skim of copper rtv to ensure no leaks.

Power wise the car is definitely smoother in the lower rpms but I wouldn't say it's a huge change up top. At some point I'll get a datalog and send it to mpt to see if any tweaks can be made with the headers now.

I was seriously considering the hooker headers, but the jba were on sale for $100 less so I went with them.

So we've both had the mac shorties, how do compare the mac verses the jba sound and performance wise?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hooker is too proud of their shorties $$$ great company but dont see myself paying that coin for an unequal lenght non tuned lenght header. 304 ss is nice but for as shorties go seems like BBK ceramic is the ones to go with.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:46 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So we've both had the mac shorties, how do compare the mac verses the jba sound and performance wise?
I honestly can't compare performance. The Mac shorties I got had fitment issues. They were probably half inch off from lining up with the passenger side of the midpipe and ended up being shipped back to AM for a refund.

Install wise the macs were marginally easier but I wouldn't say it was by much. Fit and finish of the jba are miles ahead of the mac headers, especially the welds.

Since I'm on my phone, here's the installed pics.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. They are a nice looking set of headers.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:58 AM   #140
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Looks good brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang