Tremec TKO 600 5 speed manual gearbox - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Tremec TKO 600 5 speed manual gearbox

Hey guys...

Found a reasonably priced Tremec TKO 600 5 speed manual gearbox (from MMR) in dubai. Planning to put it in my 67 Camaro but I'm thinking of putting it in my mustang (A/T) for the time being.

- will it fit?
- what are the parts that I need to order to fit it in?
- do I need a custom driveshaft?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you have to ask whats needed to do a custom transmission swap... you probably shouldn't.

you should assume the bellhousings are different, so look to source a mustang Tremec T-56 bell housing (assuming the gear cases are the same).

You should also assume it will not bolt into the stock cross member, so look into a new trans mount and other chassis options.

you can get under the car and measure the bell housing / gear case / drive shaft, and compare them to specs that have to be out there for this transmission. That will give you a good idea on where to start with your drive shaft.

you'll also need to check if your ECU will even accept a manual transmission, Its likely it wont be happy. You'll also need to check the spline count to source a clutch that's compatible with the mustang.

You'll also need to source a master cylinder from a Standard mustang because the clutch fluid and brake fluid share a reservoir. That's assuming the slave cylinder will work with this Transmission, but most transmission now do use hydraulic clutches.

You'll also want to pull up a gear calculator and see if this transmission will even work well with those 4.10s you're trying to put in. A TR6060 in the GT500 with 4.10s is about the same as an MT-82 with 3.31's, so you can see that's a massive difference.

Quite honestly I don't see why you want this transmission?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If you have to ask whats needed to do a custom transmission swap... you probably shouldn't.

you should assume the bellhousings are different, so look to source a mustang Tremec T-56 bell housing (assuming the gear cases are the same).

You should also assume it will not bolt into the stock cross member, so look into a new trans mount and other chassis options.

you can get under the car and measure the bell housing / gear case / drive shaft, and compare them to specs that have to be out there for this transmission. That will give you a good idea on where to start with your drive shaft.

you'll also need to check if your ECU will even accept a manual transmission, Its likely it wont be happy. You'll also need to check the spline count to source a clutch that's compatible with the mustang.

You'll also need to source a master cylinder from a Standard mustang because the clutch fluid and brake fluid share a reservoir. That's assuming the slave cylinder will work with this Transmission, but most transmission now do use hydraulic clutches.

You'll also want to pull up a gear calculator and see if this transmission will even work well with those 4.10s you're trying to put in. A TR6060 in the GT500 with 4.10s is about the same as an MT-82 with 3.31's, so you can see that's a massive difference.

Quite honestly I don't see why you want this transmission?
Thanks for the detailed response Voltwings. Very helpful..

Looks like a complicated stuff to do... Perhaps i'll just install it in my 67 to avoid unnecessary headaches.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Better call Modern Driveline and get the proper info on this deal. Bell housing might be an issue among other things. I wouldn't.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks black12!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang