Bama tune vs MPT ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Bama tune vs MPT ?

Which is better? W/MT

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a very long and comprehensive thread that you can read called Bama...what are you really getting? that you should follow, I'm comparing the two currently. Instead of people answering here and beating a dead horse with a stick, follow along!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I have a very long and comprehensive thread that you can read called Bama...what are you really getting? that you should follow, I'm comparing the two currently. Instead of people answering here and beating a dead horse with a stick, follow along!
Sounds good. Right now I have Bama 91 Hybrid

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Which is better? W/MT

Dan,

Just as Grabber had said he has a pretty extensive review that's up as we speak and there's a few others out there. I've run Bama tunes on my Mustang's for over 3 years and I'm still beyond elated every time I get in the car. I think one of the greatest aspects of our program is that once you're to purchase a tuner you're automatically enrolled in the Free Tunes For Life Program meaning if you're to have a new part installed we'll have a revision set up and emailed out to you for free. Let me know if you're to have any questions about them at all or feel free to contact them directly at 888.226.9764

Alex

Quote:
Shot you a PM back!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
they are both great tunes there had been a dyno comparison in performance ... bama and mpt weant head to head and mpt won but not by much i think it was like 9 hp better on mpt and 7 tq better on mpt as well not gigantic advantage but it was better however when you buy a tuner from them u only get 3 tunes and if you want to retune you have to buy more .. this is a disadvantage however they respond to your tune very quickly 3 day you have your tune and if u don't want to wait that long you can rush your tunes for another 35 bucks and youll have the tune next day !!!! but overall both of the tunes are very good and make for a great performance gains in the car !
dozer 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
You just can't compare peak horespower and torque. There's a lot to be said for how much is made under the curve and how a car is tuned, especially on an automatic car. I know the ops car is MT, but keep in mind these were results on my A6.
I started out with Bama through about half of my mod list (I'm fully bolted with 3.73's, I don't have a convertor, ported head and camshafts). I've had Bama, MPT, Lund and all were datalogged and re-tuned on 93 Octane. In order of of overall performance MPT is #1, Lund #2 and Bama 3rd. But I'm going to tell you this, keep Bama, if you want more performance skip Lund and go straight to MPT. To me the Lund tune was not worth the $200 price tag for one tune over Bama's lifetime tunes. I don't even have Lund loaded into my tuner anymore. There are only two tunes loaded in my tuner. I have a Bama 87 Octane (in case I ever go to a State that only has 87 octane), my main tune used daily for 1 1/2 yrs. has been MPT.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer 13 View Post
they are both great tunes there had been a dyno comparison in performance ... bama and mpt weant head to head and mpt won but not by much i think it was like 9 hp better on mpt and 7 tq better on mpt as well not gigantic advantage but it was better however when you buy a tuner from them u only get 3 tunes and if you want to retune you have to buy more .. this is a disadvantage however they respond to your tune very quickly 3 day you have your tune and if u don't want to wait that long you can rush your tunes for another 35 bucks and youll have the tune next day !!!! but overall both of the tunes are very good and make for a great performance gains in the car !
My bama tune went head to head for dyno numbers against my MPT tune. I love my MPT tune and love my bama tune. My 91 BAMA hybrid tune put down 294 rwhp @ 268 rwtq.

My MPT tune put down 297 rwhp @ 276 rwtq. Both done on the same day, same weather condition, same dyno shop, same dyno operator.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
My bama tune went head to head for dyno numbers against my MPT tune. I love my MPT tune and love my bama tune. My 91 BAMA hybrid tune put down 294 rwhp @ 268 rwtq.

My MPT tune put down 297 rwhp @ 276 rwtq. Both done on the same day, same weather condition, same dyno shop, same dyno operator.

This is great! It's really cool to see how similar the power numbers are.

Thanks for sharing with us as always, Kona!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Dan,

Just as Grabber had said he has a pretty extensive review that's up as we speak and there's a few others out there. I've run Bama tunes on my Mustang's for over 3 years and I'm still beyond elated every time I get in the car. I think one of the greatest aspects of our program is that once you're to purchase a tuner you're automatically enrolled in the Free Tunes For Life Program meaning if you're to have a new part installed we'll have a revision set up and emailed out to you for free. Let me know if you're to have any questions about them at all or feel free to contact them directly at 888.226.9764

Alex

Shot you a PM back!
I have Bama 91H...are you guys able to make my tune more aggressive?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What mods do you have?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
This is great! It's really cool to see how similar the power numbers are.

Thanks for sharing with us as always, Kona!

-Dan
Dan,
The numbers were real close and either tune is a home run. I have been running bama tunes for almost 4 years now and never had any issues with them. Its no secret that I'm a fellow fan boy of AM and bama but I have good cause to be. AM and Bama have been delivering quality products and services to me for almost 4 years.

Also, working with MPT has been super easy and delightful. I also run a Steeda tune and can't say anything negative about it. Steeda was and is also great to deal with. I didn't look elsewhere for tunes because i was unhappy with Bama. I have and always been huge fan of bama tunes. Curiosity got the best of me and wanted to see which tune produced the highest dyno numbers and by how much. In the end, all three companies shared very similar results.

Even my Steeda 91 tune put down 289 rwhp @ 276 rwtq. Bama , Steeda, MPT are leaders in the industry.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
What mods do yiu have kona?
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
What mods do yiu have kona?
My mods are the following for my 2011 3.7 automatic:

91 Bama Hybrid, MPT, Steeda tunes
Airraid CAI
BBK long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe
One piece aluminum drive shaft
3:73 gears
Flowmaster Force II axle backs
Boss strut tower brace
J&M LCA's

Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Airraid CAI
BBK long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe
Boss strut tower brace
J&M LCA's

Was the one piece worth it?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It is if you want to drive faster than 115mph comfortably. Also, I think its smooths out the vibration you manual folks have.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Was the one piece worth it?

I say most definitely bro. I'm glad I have a one piece aluminum drive shaft

Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Dan,
The numbers were real close and either tune is a home run. I have been running bama tunes for almost 4 years now and never had any issues with them. Its no secret that I'm a fellow fan boy of AM and bama but I have good cause to be. AM and Bama have been delivering quality products and services to me for almost 4 years.

Also, working with MPT has been super easy and delightful. I also run a Steeda tune and can't say anything negative about it. Steeda was and is also great to deal with. I didn't look elsewhere for tunes because i was unhappy with Bama. I have and always been huge fan of bama tunes. Curiosity got the best of me and wanted to see which tune produced the highest dyno numbers and by how much. In the end, all three companies shared very similar results.

Even my Steeda 91 tune put down 289 rwhp @ 276 rwtq. Bama , Steeda, MPT are leaders in the industry.

Quote:

Airraid CAI
BBK long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe
Boss strut tower brace
J&M LCA's

Thank you for your Feedback, Kona! I'm glad to hear we've always been able to offer you great and quality service. Keep up the great work with your build and as always let me know if I can be of any assistance!

Hope to see you at the car show!

-Dan
Old 07-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Thank you for your Feedback, Kona! I'm glad to hear we've always been able to offer you great and quality service. Keep up the great work with your build and as always let me know if I can be of any assistance!

Hope to see you at the car show!

-Dan
Dan, I can't wait for the car show and as always AM and Bama are top notch. AM is my first go to company for all my pony needs and will be for all my future purchases.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dan, I can't wait for the car show and as always AM and Bama are top notch. AM is my first go to company for all my pony needs and will be for all my future purchases.

+1 to everything you said! I will be at the show as well! Can't wait. Bringing my friend who is hoping to purchase a mustang as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 to everything you said! I will be at the show as well! Can't wait. Bringing my friend who is hoping to purchase a mustang as well.
Fantastic bro. When you see this pony there you can say to yourself. That's 2011 Kona Blue. Lol. No other will look exactly like mine. Lol. Helpfully we can meet up the ME folks on here. We can all set up a time and location to meet at the show.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406772968711.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	162540   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406772993055.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	162541  

Name:	1406773015264.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	162542   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406773072731.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	162543  

Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #21
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
You guys are the best! Thanks for the feedback and kind words.

We'll see you guys in just a few weeks!

-Dan
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Love the car Kona, the striping and white spoiler set it apart but it's still tastefully done! The line between just right and too much is very thin when it comes to exterior mods and you did a perfect job! Mines going to look nowhere as good as that, I've focused on mainly performance for now and I will have my exterior done by next June hopefully. GT/CS front bumper with fogs and a saleen grille up front, GT/CS spoiler with either a carbon fiber or cdc rear decklid and the roush rear valance in the back! Painted mirror covers, tinted windows, and some lower springs will be everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
CDC doesn't make a rear decklid anymore. They are no longer affiliated with RTR
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Love the car Kona, the striping and white spoiler set it apart but it's still tastefully done! The line between just right and too much is very thin when it comes to exterior mods and you did a perfect job! Mines going to look nowhere as good as that, I've focused on mainly performance for now and I will have my exterior done by next June hopefully. GT/CS front bumper with fogs and a saleen grille up front, GT/CS spoiler with either a carbon fiber or cdc rear decklid and the roush rear valance in the back! Painted mirror covers, tinted windows, and some lower springs will be everything!

Thanks so much bro. Your so right about the fine line and can be too much. Don't let the beauty fool ya with just her looks. This pony is packing 300 rwhp and pulls like a mini beast. Lmao.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406848863958.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	162606   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406849035832.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	162607  

Name:	1406849049444.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	162608  
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks so much bro. Your so right about the fine line and can be too much. Don't let the beauty fool ya with just her looks. This pony is packing 300 rwhp and pulls like a mini beast. Lmao.

I can't wait to get my headers in after the AM show. Those with my 93 MPT tune, Airaid CAI, FR x-pipe, and 3.31 gears should make my pony pull pretty hard! Gonna dyno it after the headers are on, so I'll know the exact numbers then, but I'm *hoping* for 285-290 whp! Not sure if that's unrealistic, and that's factoring IN the 15% I lose from being an automatic. So I just add 15% to what I dyno at? Confused on how that works but I'll research!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Wink

Quote:
I can't wait to get my headers in after the AM show. Those with my 93 MPT tune, Airaid CAI, FR x-pipe, and 3.31 gears should make my pony pull pretty hard! Gonna dyno it after the headers are on, so I'll know the exact numbers then, but I'm *hoping* for 285-290 whp! Not sure if that's unrealistic, and that's factoring IN the 15% I lose from being an automatic. So I just add 15% to what I dyno at? Confused on how that works but I'll research!
Close but it's 15% of your crank hp. So theoretically say you have 100 crank hp lol that would be about 85 whp but if u take the 85 whp then add 15% of that 85, It would come to 97crank. It's less because your taking the percent from a smaller number. The bigger the numbers the more off it will be but it will still give you a general idea! I think u will be real close to 285.

Also an auto loses closer to 20% by the time it gets to the wheels.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Close but it's 15% of your crank hp. So theoretically say you have 100 crank hp lol that would be about 85 whp but if u take the 85 whp then add 15% of that 85, It would come to 97crank. It's less because your taking the percent from a smaller number. The bigger the numbers the more off it will be but it will still give you a general idea! I think u will be real close to 285.

Also an auto loses closer to 20% by the time it gets to the wheels.

I'll get the numbers and I'm sure someone on here can get it pretty close! If it's closer to 20%, I'll go with 18%. All of this really confuses me I'm horrible at math lmao. 3.31 gears, x-pipe, shorty headers, airaid CAI, 93 performance MPT tune, auto trans.
After all the math I think I'll be coming in at around 280-290 to the wheels hopefully. Which means I'm really at 350+ to the crank?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll get the numbers and I'm sure someone on here can get it pretty close! If it's closer to 20%, I'll go with 18%. All of this really confuses me I'm horrible at math lmao. 3.31 gears, x-pipe, shorty headers, airaid CAI, 93 performance MPT tune, auto trans.
After all the math I think I'll be coming in at around 280-290 to the wheels hopefully. Which means I'm really at 350+ to the crank?

Haha yea It gets confusing but at 290 whp u should be right around 350 at the crank.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Grabber, you are thinking too hard.

The engine makes 305 at the crank, rated. In an auto you lose 20% of that on its way to the wheels, which is what the dyno measures. That would be 244. When you're at the dyno and it gives you a number, if you want to know what it was before the drive train losses at the crank, DIVIDE it by 0.8. 244/0.8 = 305.

I could just stop there, but if you want to know where the 0.8 came from:

Crank - 0.2*Crank = Wheels
0.8*Crank = Wheels, which is the same as Crank = Wheels/0.8

If you have a manual, change all the .2's to .15's, and the 0.8's to 0.85's.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I thought you lose 18% in an auto
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I thought you lose 18% in an auto
I've seen both, either way that is an estimate it's not the real thing. But if you want to go with 18%, just divide by 0.82 instead of 0.80.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

So whatever my Dyno numbers are divide by 0.82 and that's my crank HP. Did I get it right? Lol

Old 08-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So whatever my Dyno numbers are divide by 0.82 and that's my crank HP. Did I get it right? Lol

Yes, that's all there is to it.

And in middle school the kids say "when are we ever gonna use this stuff." I'm not making fun of you or anything, just in general I think we're not very good at STEM education at the K-12 level in the U.S.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Yes, that's all there is to it.

And in middle school the kids say "when are we ever gonna use this stuff." I'm not making fun of you or anything, just in general I think we're not very good at STEM education at the K-12 level in the U.S.
I 100% agree. I have always been HORRIBLE at math. I did, however, get a 700/800 math score on my SAT. And I have a 4.0 in college. Weird, right? I just always struggled insanely with algebra and trigonometry in high school. Mostly because I had never seen it before high school, while other countries are doing that in middle school. U.S. education as a whole is absolutely horrid. With that being said, I attended private high school and learned more there than I have at a public college. My strengths are literary and reading comprehension, I can remember literally anything I've ever read or written in my life. Just don't make me do math!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I 100% agree. I have always been HORRIBLE at math. I did, however, get a 700/800 math score on my SAT. And I have a 4.0 in college. Weird, right? I just always struggled insanely with algebra and trigonometry in high school. Mostly because I had never seen it before high school, while other countries are doing that in middle school. U.S. education as a whole is absolutely horrid. With that being said, I attended private high school and learned more there than I have at a public college. My strengths are literary and reading comprehension, I can remember literally anything I've ever read or written in my life. Just don't make me do math!
Jeez that's a great SAT score, good for you. And don't worry, I was not making any judgements of your intelligence at all. Grown-ups understand that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. I have a PhD in engineering and I got all of my education in public schools, had a couple very inspiring math and science teachers in high school. But overall, good math teachers before college were hard to find. And most of them don't know how to answer that question "when are we ever gonna use this stuff" because they never had a job in the field. When I teach my classes at the university level I make it a point to start every lecture talking 5 minutes about some real application of the topic they're about to learn.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang