Borla S-types or ATAK? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Borla S-types or ATAK?

So I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a Borla Axleback exhaust. I currently have the Pype bombs but I am sick of them. They were a great purchase for the price and my first mod ever, don't get me wrong, but I really have always craved the Borlas. My dilemma however is: S-types or ATAKs?
I know a lot of people on here have the S-types and love them. They are quiet at idle and roar when you floor it. I have heard a lot of them in person and they are beautiful.
I have never head ATAKs in person. I was on AM tonight looking, and I saw that almost double the amount of people had reviewed them. They are $70 more. I don't take any reviews by people on AM seriously, as they are filled with wrong info. and people saying how throttle body spacers give them 20+ HP.
My question is: Which do I pick!? If y'all who have S-types could tell me why you chose those over the ATAKs that would be great. If anyone has the ATAKs, tell me why you love them!
I have a FR x-pipe, a CAI and tune, and that's all that will affect the exhaust sound to any degree.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
So I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a Borla Axleback exhaust. I currently have the Pype bombs but I am sick of them. They were a great purchase for the price and my first mod ever, don't get me wrong, but I really have always craved the Borlas. My dilemma however is: S-types or ATAKs?
I know a lot of people on here have the S-types and love them. They are quiet at idle and roar when you floor it. I have heard a lot of them in person and they are beautiful.
I have never head ATAKs in person. I was on AM tonight looking, and I saw that almost double the amount of people had reviewed them. They are $70 more. I don't take any reviews by people on AM seriously, as they are filled with wrong info. and people saying how throttle body spacers give them 20+ HP.
My question is: Which do I pick!? If y'all who have S-types could tell me why you chose those over the ATAKs that would be great. If anyone has the ATAKs, tell me why you love them!
I have a FR x-pipe, a CAI and tune, and that's all that will affect the exhaust sound to any degree.
Having an already fairly loud and raspy set up, that is similar to the ATAKS, I would say the S-Types. I like my setup, don't get me wrong. BUT the things I don't like are the rasp and the break in tone after 3k which you will get similarly with the ATAKS.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Based on videos I've watched I'd say the S types. I think the Ataks would be too much.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Based on videos I've watched I'd say the S types. I think the Ataks would be too much.
I just watched the video Borla has on all 3 for the v6... they did a horrible job with that video TBH, the S-types do NOT sound like that in person. None of the exhausts sound good on that video!!

^ This is it. Give it a listen. They sound so much better in person (I've only heard S-types and touring).
I think I'm leaning towards the S-types over the ATAKs. The tourings are just too quiet for me, and the ATAKs sound obnoxious kind of like my Pypes that I am selling, and they ping like Flowmasters which I HATE.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Oh yeah I've seen that video a few times. As a matter of fact I've probably heard them all a few times.

I went with the Mac AB on mine and I'm happy with it. If I had to do it again I'd go S Type.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh yeah I've seen that video a few times. As a matter of fact I've probably heard them all a few times.

I went with the Mac AB on mine and I'm happy with it. If I had to do it again I'd go S Type.
I wish I had waited and saved up the $ and gone with the S-types. The pype bombs were my first mod ever and I saw they were half the price and super loud.... I do like them, just not as much as the Borla's. My other option is getting BBK shorty headers and hoping they make the Pype bombs sound better... my FR x-pipe really helped them out, the drone is just driving me CRAZY.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I wish I had waited and saved up the $ and gone with the S-types. The pype bombs were my first mod ever and I saw they were half the price and super loud.... I do like them, just not as much as the Borla's. My other option is getting BBK shorty headers and hoping they make the Pype bombs sound better... my FR x-pipe really helped them out, the drone is just driving me CRAZY.
A couple of resonators might help tone it down a bit.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have the ATAK's and have no regret. They are quiet at idle, sound good thru normal acceleration, and scream when you open it up and get over 3k. I don't think I've ever heard the Stingers in person so can't really compare them.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So I have the Borla S-Type. First I installed the short headers before my s-types so my exhaust is very tame in idle but very mean when on the throttle.. I've heard the attacks some like them but some say it kinda sounds race compared to the s-types that keep is sounding more throaty.. I personally love my S-Types but I am at times wanting something louder at idle.. Regardless I love my exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Will either be worth the $$$ over my current set up? I can sell the Pypes for $200. $36 forum discount brings the S types down to 559 after a price match (saw them online for 595 and AM says they will price match, hoping I can use discount on them as well). Minus the $200 for my pypes and that brings the total to 359 out of pocket. My other option is buying shorty headers and hoping that makes my current set up sound better. $359 for S-types, or $282 for shorty headers. Or $641 for both.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Borla S-types or ATAK?

I haven't heard your setup before so I can't help you on that, but I can say that I love my exhaust . AM won't price match and give a forum discount together.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I haven't heard your setup before so I can't help you on that, but I can say that I love my exhaust . AM won't price match and give a forum discount together.

That stinks . Do you know if you can use AM credits together (Money you've been refunded) on the same order and also use the forum discount?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I don't see why not, it's money you've already spent with them.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I went with the s-types because I had heard the ataks in person and they are really loud.. a little too loud for my taste. Don't get me wrong they sound awesome but I'm not trying to be that guy. My neighbors already hate me enough when I cold start her at 7am. Get the s types.. you will love them.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think I am going to go with the S-types as they were my original choice and as you said the ATAKs are really loud and I don't want to be the guy who's mustang sounds like a Honda....

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

I just can't deal with the drone from the Pypes anymore. I may kill myself

Old 07-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

I agree with you about drone. I dont mind some but, a V6 with the wrong exhaust will make you mental...the older I get the less tolerance I have for it.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
ATAK's sound too much like a sport bike IMO. The s-types have a much nicer tone, plus if you pair them with shorty headers they sound amazing!

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
S type or the FRPP. They are quiet at idle and low when you want to be heard.

Kinda like a mullet......business in the front party in the back.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, I think I am going to go with the S-types. I like the FRPP ones as well, can't really decide between the Borla S-types and FRPP they sound so similar, but the Borla's sound louder at idle and are $60 cheaper :p. Plus I have heard the Borla's in person and love them and I have never heard the FRPP in person.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

I think you made a wise choice.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

If I remember right the FRPP are the Borla S-Types.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you made a wise choice.
Thanks! Once I line up a buyer for my pypes and receive payment I will be making the call to AM for the Borla's! I have someone interested for a good price but he's throwing a fit about paying an extra $10 for proper shipping. I refuse to send them not packaged correctly and with protective stuff in them, as we all know what a UPS employee having a bad day can do to a package.....
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have FRPP and they sound identicalI to my friends who has the s-types. I would save some $$$ and get the s-types

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Aww man how did I miss this thread, you already know my position on this lol. Here is the latest video took of my six. I'm been asked many times for drive by videos and I will post up some once I'm back in the states in a few days.

http://youtu.be/N0O-0iPO5DA
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Aww man how did I miss this thread, you already know my position on this lol. Here is the latest video took of my six. I'm been asked many times for drive by videos and I will post up some once I'm back in the states in a few days.

Mustang Borla S-Types & Custom H pipe (Part 2) - YouTube
Those sound awesome! I sent you a PM btw, not sure if my inbox is messing up again
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you can wait until the 16th and have a way to the American muscle show, go there! I'm sure you can find hundreds of mustangs to listen to with various set ups on borlas / FRPP to help you make an even more informed decision.

And who knows? The vendors might have some with them at an awesome discount

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have s types and I love them. Ioud when needed and quiet when you need peace of mind. No drone at all. Love the sound when you shift from 6 to 5th and accelerate. It's just fantastic. It's like music to my ears
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to the show!! Do you think they would be selling them at a discount there?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
One can always hope. I'm personally waiting until then before purchasing my next few mods. Just in case they're handing out coupons or happen to have stock at a discount etc.

More money saved means more mods on my car!

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lol grabber you practically did the same thing I did with my mods.. I got the pypes as well.. Awesome at first but way to much drone.. Now I have those S-Types man expect the growl to maintain it's depth across the RPM's I remember the pypes would scream after a while and it would sound whinny.. Trust me you'll love them.. I have short headers so the note is very very deep.. Everyone compliments lol

Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
One can always hope. I'm personally waiting until then before purchasing my next few mods. Just in case they're handing out coupons or happen to have stock at a discount etc.

More money saved means more mods on my car!

I'm all about that! I'm gonna save up some cash and hold off on mods until then. Maybe I'll get an exhaust AND headers there if there's coupons/discounts!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
Lol grabber you practically did the same thing I did with my mods.. I got the pypes as well.. Awesome at first but way to much drone.. Now I have those S-Types man expect the growl to maintain it's depth across the RPM's I remember the pypes would scream after a while and it would sound whinny.. Trust me you'll love them.. I have short headers so the note is very very deep.. Everyone compliments lol

My Pypes were the first mod I ever did! I was in LOVE with them... I saw the prices of other AB's and I was like wow, $290 (they were on sale at the time) and they sound good, awesome. They were so loud and awesome. Then after a few months the drone just drove me insane. I can't even cruise on the highway anymore it just gets to me so bad. I'm putting my stock mufflers on and selling the Pypes (hopefully by Monday). I sent the buyer the invoice on paypal so hopefully all goes well. I am getting $165 for them and he is paying the $50 shipping (to Cali and I'm including free clamps). Pretty good deal for him! I've put less than 6k or 7k miles on them and I had them custom fitted so they'll fit perfect for him.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

They should give you a discount there.

When there are NMRA events or the like vendors are out in force trying to sell and give good deals.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Not RTR or true fiber at the show in Long Beach

Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Not RTR or true fiber at the show in Long Beach

Those bastards.

UPR gave me some great prices on a bunch of stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang