Air Conditioning V6 mpg - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 AM   #36
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If you think the A/C running is drawing more power than having the windows rolled down, your mistaken. Take a trip down a highway with the A/C on; calculate the MPG. Now do the same trip, with the windows down. The drag from the air entering into the cabin is going to slightly reduce your MPG.

Not sure what you guys are running, but my 2011 V6 with the A/C on does not reduce my power noticeably at all. When I punch it, the A/C is shut off, so thats never an issue.
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

WOT or windows down was not really what I was asking. Sorta the opposite is what I'm thinking if goal is best mpg possible.

I drive with windows up and A/C on max 100% of the time. That is not going to change, just wondering how others get better mpg.

See others posting much better mpg and thought perhaps they are getting these numbers because they leave windows up and A/C is off. Doing everything they can to get better mileage, not WOT or windows down. From posts so far, it seems most drive with A/C on and windows up and get fairly close to same mpg as myself. Not really seeing many details from the 20 city, +32mpg hwy crowd that seem to indicate they get those numbers normally.

Seeing comments like these in only one thread is why I'm asking:

"I get 28-34 depending on the day on the highway at 70-80mph"
"MY mileage is excellent and exceed OEM mileage claims"
"before all my mods.. I was getting easily 26 city and 30 highway"

Now I know the above is not normal, but what is normal for some is not for others. Having A/C off all the time and windows up might be normal for some? (here in our home for example with tropical birds, normal is the heat kicks on if the temperature drops below 72 and A/C starts at 78, and we don't go into the pool until it hits low 80's).
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #38
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't ever remember turning my Air Conditioner off

I put it on when I bought my car in 2011 and the only thing I do is turn the fan up or down. I do use the defroster on foggy or rainy days but it is never turned off. If I need warm air I just twist the knob.
Living in Florida is not really a windows down place to be.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #39
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
WOT or windows down was not really what I was asking. Sorta the opposite is what I'm thinking if goal is best mpg possible.

I drive with windows up and A/C on max 100% of the time. That is not going to change, just wondering how others get better mpg.

See others posting much better mpg and thought perhaps they are getting these numbers because they leave windows up and A/C is off. Doing everything they can to get better mileage, not WOT or windows down. From posts so far, it seems most drive with A/C on and windows up and get fairly close to same mpg as myself. Not really seeing many details from the 20 city, +32mpg hwy crowd that seem to indicate they get those numbers normally.

Seeing comments like these in only one thread is why I'm asking:

"I get 28-34 depending on the day on the highway at 70-80mph"
"MY mileage is excellent and exceed OEM mileage claims"
"before all my mods.. I was getting easily 26 city and 30 highway"

Now I know the above is not normal, but what is normal for some is not for others. Having A/C off all the time and windows up might be normal for some? (here in our home for example with tropical birds, normal is the heat kicks on if the temperature drops below 72 and A/C starts at 78, and we don't go into the pool until it hits low 80's).
No worries; my response was not at your posts. Some folks are giving the impression that the A/C off and windows open can/will provide better fuel mileage.

Crusty old men like me and Ronnie start to smell bad when we get warm; best to keep us cool!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #40
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

yep !!!!

Ronnie
Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #41
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Mayhem, yep some get close to or above the sticker mpg but they are in the minority (guess) and the sticker is based on the most common model with the 18" non summer tires and 2.73 rear end driven at what I will call a sedate pace (fact). The highest I've done was all hwy 70-75 and I got 26 using math. Another thing on my car the computer consistantly reads just over 1 mpg less than math if that is how you figure mpg you may want to check. I am dissapointed with the mpg compared to the sticker but not dissapointed with the fun per mile.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Mud-- Your are correct

My dash says I'm getting 24.5 MPG and when I do it with pen & paper I'm getting 25.5 + or - a tenth or two.
I generally get 28 to 31 on the interstate depending on traffic. The most I ever got was 34 MPG on my way home from Delaware just using a lot of back roads and never going over 45/50 MPH. ( Enjoying the scenery) also just enjoying the drive. I can't do that in Florida though without getting hit in the A$$ by a typical Florida idiot always in a hurry driver.
I could not be more pleased with my V6 automatic because the most I ever got when I had my 98 Corvette was 14MPG and my last car was a Mini Cooper JCW and only got 24 to 27 mixed and 29/31 on the interstate. Never over 31 mpg. It was a four cylinder turbo.
Ronnie
Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If you do do that test, do it in both directions on the road, so take the same length north and do it south. Then switch to AC, or windows (whichever you didn't use the first time), and then do the same path. Then, do the first one again, then the second one, and the first one. This is called ABABA testing. The both directions takes out more of the wind variables, since testing should take a while and wind vector can change. Repeating is because as the car warms up, it becomes more efficient. Cold engine, cold tranny, cold tires = less MPG. That's why short trips are never advised, and one should always travel to their furthest destination first, then hit the stops on the way back. I advise video taping so you don't need to pay as much attention to the end points, and someone else to record. A good data set like that will be nice, its just challenging to collect good data with all the variables. Which is why I only do modifications that work. Testing crap isn't worth the petrol use to me.

I usually put windows up because of road noise. I couldn't speak to the drag on our vehicles because of windows down, but past the 45 range it is just noisy, so that is my general range. Also keep in mind drag is a cubic force, so the faster you go, the x8 of the drag force.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #44
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I notice on the Stang that with windows down it doesn't get loud till 60+ yeah you can hear it but compared to my Taco 45 is the loud #. I think that would mean the drag is not as bad with windows down compared to the average vehicle....just thinking out loud. Ever drive a car that sounded like the rear window was gonna blow out when you got up to speed with windows down? I will say when I'm on the hwy and it's hot = AC Most other times = windows down.

this is all changed when it's stupid hot
Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Global warming has made it pretty cool here in OH, park in shade/garage, and the car is cool getting in. If I lived in FL, I could probably contribute more.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
The current style compressors are very efficient and do make a significant impact on mpg.

My mistake! Big time TYPO! Meant to say, "...are very efficient and do NOT make a significant impact on mpg."

Sorry about the typo guys!

Our modern, current style, AC compressors have an insignificant impact on mpg. As someone else mentioned, the turbulence of the windows down would be more of an impact on decreasing mpg than running the ac with the windows up.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I keep good records of my mileage, and do some data gathering on boring long trips. For the first 25k miles, I was not impressed with my mileage, but after the engine was broke in, it went up a good bit. In town driving is the pits. I get about 17-18 in town even with normal driving. Doing 80 on the pike, I will get 25-27 mpg, and at 70, it will get 30 mpg. I find no significant change in performance with running without a/c, but it does have a significant impact on my attitude.

I can remember the old days where we had to turn the a/c off before we could start the car. It created so much drag, the starter could not turn the engine over. These new models are significantly more efficient.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Air Conditioning V6 mpg

I find the AC much more tolerable I a 6/8cyl car. In my old 2008 4cyl ranger it made the truck damn near undrivable. I also had a 2012 WRX and running AC in around town driving was rough, but on the highway it was not noticeable. I can still tell when it's on with my mustang but it's nothing more that feeling the compressor kick on, no real noticeable drag on the engine. I was able to still average 32-34mpg with it on the whole trip from Denver to Phoenix in August.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang