Air Conditioning V6 mpg - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Air Conditioning V6 mpg

Seems most posts about gas mileage in city and highway are much better than what I am getting. Here in Florida the A/C is always on max.

Are most owners stating gas mileage with A/C off or on? (maybe people actually drive with windows down?)

How much of a mpg loss using the A/C on these V6's?

(not looking for what mpg people get again, or how it is equipped affects mpg, only the relationship between A/C and mpg)
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

My last fill up this weekend I got 23mpg. This was around town, some highway running about 78 mph but with the AC on & recirculate.

Charleston, SC so I know about the heat.

k

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've tried it both ways and it makes almost no difference.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
I've tried it both ways and it makes almost no difference.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for so I can leave A/C blasting all the time (except during performance timing tests).
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Made a trip to MW in Myrtle Beach with A/C on and cruising about 80 mph. Got 27-28 mpg and that's with the PP 3.31 gears (manual trans).

Jeremy
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Made a trip to MW in Myrtle Beach with A/C on and cruising about 80 mph. Got 27-28 mpg and that's with the PP 3.31 gears (manual trans).

Jeremy
Guess mine is still doing break-in at 1500 miles and should do better soon? Same PP 3.31 w/manual in my 2014, and bone stock it barely breaks 27mpg at 65mph, and that is if I reset as soon as I get up to speed on the interstate. 87 octane, cruise control set, flat Florida hwys. City, which is really mixed small towns with mostly 35 and some 45mph limits, can't seem pop 15mpg avg over a week of "spirited" driving.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
same car...same mpg

I've read a few studies on mpg with A/c vs windows down and the majority say that at less than 40 you'll have better mpg with windows down at speeds over that run the a/c. I will say that driver mod will make an even bigger differance overall.

Arc may chime in with more knowledge
Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I always reset the mpg when I fill up. Usually average 22-23 with mostly city driving to and from work. Made a trip to Virginia Beach and on hwy 58 (60 mph speed limit normally) and not breaking 70 mph, I was able to muster 30 mpg. I have noticed the mpg reading on the car is lower than what I calculate at the pump. Usually about 1 mpg lower with mine.

Jeremy
Old 07-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I only seem to be getting around 15-16 MPG on 93 octane. Most of my driving (~95%) is city and stop and go traffic. As for A/C gas mileage, i tend to get the same numbers with the A/C on during the hot summer months.

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My Air-Conditioning is ALWAYS ON

I also live in Florida and I just leave my A/C on all the time. I average around 25 MPG mixed between city and highway using 87 octane gas from BJ's or Sam"s club. I do not drive my car to save gas and do goose it once in a while to keep my blood flowing.
I do get a little better in the winter though (about 27 mpg) with the a/c still on. I never turn it off.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Right now, my mpg is 15.1 :/ A/C is usually on low with recirculating on and Max A/C.
I think I just drive it aggressively or something. It's all city and very rarely any highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I get 18.5 to 19.5 mpg.

I blast ac on max almost all the time sine I live in hotlanta.

Also im stuck in stop and go traffic every morning.

Honestly I thought I was getting very low milage per galon so I reset it when there was no traffic and drove on highway only for 50 miles and got 28 to 29 mpg so for those that are getting 15mpg I suggest you do that.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Don't know where the numbers went, but cruising with AC on dropped MPG by about 10% vs just the fan. That was low or medium, not blasting or max.

People have calculated the MPG hit of using headlights ON vs OFF, and the benefit of LED vs Bulbs. Though on a 60-100 MPG vehicle, it is easier to calculate a few %. Haven't done testing my own for windows vs AC, I usually run windows until 40+, then the fan. Not an exact science and no data, just what I do.

searching; seriously, someone else has probably asked before.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The current style compressors are very efficient and do make a significant impact on mpg.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Certain things just don't hold true anymore. With how efficient AC compressors have gotten over the years there is no impact on MPG's. Even if there was some slight different it would be impossible to calculate as that small of a difference will be impossible to calculate due to variances in driving style, roads, etc.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Certain things just don't hold true anymore. With how efficient AC compressors have gotten over the years there is no impact on MPG's. Even if there was some slight different it would be impossible to calculate as that small of a difference will be impossible to calculate due to variances in driving style, roads, etc.
ABA style testing eliminates those variances. And if it uses electricity, it makes the alternator work harder, which increases engine load. I imagine you have noticed this while monitoring engine load readouts during your testing.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

one thing that can destroy MPG is::::

LOW TIRE PRESSURE. That will kill your miles per gallon.
My Mustang has 18 inch Pirelli tires and I keep them at 36PSI.
The door panel say's 32PSI but they wear perfect at the 36PSI.
I rotate same side every 5,000 miles.
Ronnie
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a little thing on LE D bulbs: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...sis-25772.html

The difference in the electrical load is the main factor.

Another look at it: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...6-a-14220.html

Again, depending on vehicle will be the influence. In my Insight, 3 cylinder .996, it would do more to improve than on the Mustang. As basjoos mentions, he doesn't see a difference in his F150, while his Civic loses 2-3 mpg.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
[ATTACH]162462[/ATTACH.

68 mph ac always on

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknjulian View Post
Right now, my mpg is 15.1 :/ A/C is usually on low with recirculating on and Max A/C.
I think I just drive it aggressively or something. It's all city and very rarely any highway.

Mine is around 16mpg with A/C on half of the time. Mostly city driving and I dont think I am driving aggressive too.
dibstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Here are the three things to do:
1: Tires at proper pressures.
2: Wash and wax it. It should be slippery and cut through the air.
3: Make sure the air filter is clean. They really only seem to last 8-10K miles at most, so check them for grime often.

Now, the V6 is calibrated for the performance package and automatic. This means that you can get significantly better gas mileage with the stock V6 with the higher profile low rolling resistance tires and the 2.73 gears and manual.

I hypermill as much as possible on the way to work, and over 21K miles, I have a 24 mpg average. (verified via Fuelly) The biggest help is manually taking it out of gear when I'm rolling to a stop. Second is to actually try to never come to a complete stop. Not that you should break any rules so much as coasting slowly up to already stopped traffic often sees them moving again right about the time you start to hit the brakes. Going from 10-35 uses almost half the gas of going 0-35.

The sweet spot for mpg on the base V6 is 62 mph. The speedometer will read 64 mph. This is common, though, since most manufacturers err on the side of being a bit high on their speedometers in case people +1 size their tires. Put it on cruise and let it roll.

My last tank of rush hour traffic in Los Angeles with a stock V6 was 28 average. 420 miles on one tank of gas. It doesn't drive like a V8 with sticky tires, but it certainly drives much nicer than a Civic.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The worse part is that gas mileage with the V6 Mustang is actually a little worse than the similar 300(ish) HP 20 year old V8 automobile that it replaced. Mark VIII with 115,000 miles always hit 28/15mpg doing same roads and speeds, and that is with 3.55 gears and chipped, A/C blasting. You would think in 20 years they could do better gas mileage to HP ratio than this. Seeing the paper numbers on the V6 Mustang vs the Mark VIII is what finally pushed the buy button. Not unhappy, just was hoping for a little better. Who am I kidding, I am thrilled to death and happy as a kid in a candy store with this upgrade! But also ended up keeping the VIII as a backup..
Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
The current style compressors are very efficient and do make a significant impact on mpg.
This ^^^

The old compressors of years ago were engine robbing pigs; they were like a small two piston compressor, and robbed power. Todays compressors are barely detectible. I'd think rolling down windows to cool off a car (somewhat here in Florida) would produce as much drag on a car as running the A/C, and produce the same loss in MPG.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #24

Here is mine from day one with air on 80% of timeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1406830508.762922.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	162573

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
thomasj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This ^^^

The old compressors of years ago were engine robbing pigs; they were like a small two piston compressor, and robbed power. Todays compressors are barely detectible. I'd think rolling down windows to cool off a car (somewhat here in Florida) would produce as much drag on a car as running the A/C, and produce the same loss in MPG.
I can't see how this can be entirely true. Every time i have the a/c on, i feel a huge difference in power and rpm drop. That is why i shift differently when the a/c is on to compensate for the loss in power and quick drop in rpm's.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

When you floor it

The A'C compresser freewheels so you don't lose any power. It does use power when just driving. Not enough to really make a huge difference.
Ronnie
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The A'C compresser freewheels so you don't lose any power. It does use power when just driving. Not enough to really make a huge difference.

Ronnie

+1

At WOT it cuts out to eliminate drag on the engine.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ronnie
It definitely does use power. The a/c compressor runs off of a belt on the engine and the clutch engages when it's needed. My car drives completely different with the a/c on.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
It definitely does use power. The a/c compressor runs off of a belt on the engine and the clutch engages when it's needed. My car drives completely different with the a/c on.

But it shuts off at WOT.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
But it shuts off at WOT.

Exactly. I'm saying for normal driving (i don't usually drive at WOT, just sometimes) that i definitely feel a loss in power with the a/c running. I felt it even more on my old car because it was a 4 cylinder with no torque.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly. I'm saying for normal driving (i don't usually drive at WOT, just sometimes) that i definitely feel a loss in power with the a/c running. I felt it even more on my old car because it was a 4 cylinder with no torque.

Ok. Sounded like you were saying that since it was using a belt off the motor it would always rob power. Now we are on the same page.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Ok. Sounded like you were saying that since it was using a belt off the motor it would always rob power. Now we are on the same page.

No, Sorry for the confusion. It's been a long day

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LMAO, dude, on my Insight (three banger) it turns into a SLUG. Better off with windows down and full fan than AC at the lowest setting.

One thing nice about the Mustang AC is that it like pulses. At least when I was monitoring it, it would create engine load and then stop for a little bit then be full strength again. I was manually pulsing it, turning it on for a minute or when less engine load was needed, then turning off, but I noticed it didn't create a constant load on the engine. Pretty nifty, though I imagine everyone has it setup this way now. I have only tested with the Mustang (2012, 3.7 standard).

Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
LMAO, dude, on my Insight (three banger) it turns into a SLUG. Better off with windows down and full fan than AC at the lowest setting.

One thing nice about the Mustang AC is that it like pulses. At least when I was monitoring it, it would create engine load and then stop for a little bit then be full strength again. I was manually pulsing it, turning it on for a minute or when less engine load was needed, then turning off, but I noticed it didn't create a constant load on the engine. Pretty nifty, though I imagine everyone has it setup this way now. I have only tested with the Mustang (2012, 3.7 standard).

Exactly! My old Hyundai was useless with the a/c on. When i got my Mustang it was night and day. It still hinders the performance with the a/c on, but nowhere near as much as my Hyundai did. I have also noticed the pulsing you are talking about. I think it is the car's way of using the a/c efficiently, because i seem to get about the same MPG's as with the a/c off. I think it's pretty cool!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

No complaints from me on optimizing efficiency Though I just park in the shade, and if I NEED AC, I blast it then run the vents.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang