I just test drove a 2014 GT and guess what ???? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #106
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The V8 or V6 are both great engines.

Strztta17 said:::
Quote:
If you actually look at a V6 and 5.0 dyno graph between 2-4 K RPM's there really isn't that much difference. Judging by the charts I've seen around 30-40 HP although at and over 4 k the 5.0 really pulls away. Which is why under normal driving there isn't a huge difference to be felt between the 2 (although there clearly is a difference). I realize this is the internet and everyone is a bad*** that red-lines every gear but in reality very few people drive like that every day.
You are so right on. Like I said, The V8 was awsum when I floored it. Just driving I did not feel much difference. Nobody can knock either engine because they are both great and deserve to be Mustang power-plants.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTPONY View Post
I took my 2011 V6 with 3:31 rear to the track last weekend and could not break into the 13's. Was running the Bama 91R tune and a lot of people have said Bama isn't the best tune. Also have LT headers, O/R X-pipe, and CAI. I'm no pro but my reaction time was very good and I have a new set of Mickey Thompson's on the car. On the "plus" side, my buddy was driving a 2004 Mach 1 and his best time was 13.99. Overall I was pretty jazzed that my V6 ran so close to his V8 (14.48 versus 13.99). Still wondering what else I can do to improve my quarter mile time and break into the 13's...? Thinking about a) drag radials; b) throttle body; c) e-cut outs, any suggestions?
Reaction time doesn't play any part in your ET. What was ur 60'? You should def be in the mid-low 13s. Seat time & practice is gonna be your best friend! Your friend needs a driver mod too!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

It's funny that a lot of people say 420hp is too much for a DD but then the power bad helps that & people still don't like it! Lmao.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 AM   #109
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
1HOTPONY, was that you getting off I-91 exit 15 ? I don't see many Perf Packs and saw a black one just the other day.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Again read what I wrote, I didn't say it is slow up until 5500 RPM, I said it doesn't have the HP/ Torque that I would expect from a V8 that makes 420 HP. And unless your a dyno queen and just care about peak numbers the HP produced throughout the powerband and a nice curve is completely relevant. I've had cars that made less power that were lighter that had a better powerband that were faster and more fun to drive.

If you actually look at a V6 and 5.0 dyno graph between 2-4 K RPM's there really isn't that much difference. Judging by the charts I've seen around 30-40 HP although at and over 4 k the 5.0 really pulls away. Which is why under normal driving there isn't a huge difference to be felt between the 2 (although there clearly is a difference). I realize this is the internet and everyone is a bad*** that red-lines every gear but in reality very few people drive like that every day.

I just looked at a stock one, the Coyote is putting out over 300 HP to the wheels by 2300 rpm's. There was about a 70 HP difference between graphs, but not a lot can be taken from dyno numbers on different machines, days, operators etc.
Fact of the matter is that there are plenty of stock 5.0's running anywhere from 113-116 bone dead stock in decent weather.
And in normal driving in heavy traffic you are not going to be able to tell a Geo Prism from a Lambo until you are able to put some throttle down.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTPONY View Post
I took my 2011 V6 with 3:31 rear to the track last weekend and could not break into the 13's. Was running the Bama 91R tune and a lot of people have said Bama isn't the best tune. Also have LT headers, O/R X-pipe, and CAI. I'm no pro but my reaction time was very good and I have a new set of Mickey Thompson's on the car. On the "plus" side, my buddy was driving a 2004 Mach 1 and his best time was 13.99. Overall I was pretty jazzed that my V6 ran so close to his V8 (14.48 versus 13.99). Still wondering what else I can do to improve my quarter mile time and break into the 13's...? Thinking about a) drag radials; b) throttle body; c) e-cut outs, any suggestions?

Let your buddy drive your car.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Im not sure why Ford designed the 5.0 to have its main power up so high.
Because they had to. In the simplest sense an engine is basically an air pump and the amount of air you can move through it determines how much power you can make so you need one of three things to make power, displacement, RPMs, or forced induction.

2004 GT - Bama SCT Tuner - Pypes catted X-Pipe - Pypes Violator Catback
- Comp XE270AH - DIY Sequential Turn Signals in the works!
ltdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
I just looked at a stock one, the Coyote is putting out over 300 HP to the wheels by 2300 rpm's. There was about a 70 HP difference between graphs, but not a lot can be taken from dyno numbers on different machines, days, operators etc.
Fact of the matter is that there are plenty of stock 5.0's running anywhere from 113-116 bone dead stock in decent weather.
And in normal driving in heavy traffic you are not going to be able to tell a Geo Prism from a Lambo until you are able to put some throttle down.
Are you sure your not looking at torque? And again I'm rounding my numbers as I know dynos are only a tool and everyone will read differently. But the same car's not going to show triple the HP on a different dyno regardless of temp, elevation, etc.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/71-3527_dyno.pdf

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-3529_dyno.pdf

Again, I'm not bashing the 5.0's at all. From a performance standpoint I know there fast especially when you stay in the power band. My point is that if your NOT racing the car driving a V6 and revving it a little more will give the same feel as a 5.0 if you shift a little lower. And let's be honest I've owned 4-5 hundred HP cars in everyday driving your not going to be redlining every gear with that amount of power. I'm perfectly aware that if you drive them both to their full potential the 5.0 will drastically beat the V6 once it gets into that sweet spot in the powerband. I'm just using the dyno numbers as evidence to back up my statement that under normal driving conditions there isn't going to be a night and day difference between them.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Why buy a V-8 if you have to rev it to get power? The best things about V8s has always been the immediate power you get at any RPM and the ease at which you can access the power. Maybe it's time to drop the V8 and replace it with a Turbo V6 since you have to rev up the V8 anyway.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Why buy a V-8 if you have to rev it to get power? The best things about V8s has always been the immediate power you get at any RPM and the ease at which you can access the power. Maybe it's time to drop the V8 and replace it with a Turbo V6 since you have to rev up the V8 anyway.
This person makes a interesting/good comment about V8's and immediate power at any RPM. Why would Ford produce a 420 HP car and make its power band so high up. Correct me if I'm missing something but wouldn't the 5.0 be more bad a$$ if Ford made its max HP at say 4000 rpm's and max torque at say 2700 RPM's.

What I'm saying is wouldn't it make sense to have the cars max power at lower and mid RPM's and not high RPM's. Not many DD cars at high RPM's.

Also question for you guys. Can someone change the cars computer to hit its max HP and torque at lower RPM'S that's different than what was given from the factory.

A 3.7 produces 305 HP at 6500 RPM's. It produces 280 lbs torque at 4250 RPM's.

Why not have 305 hp at 4300 RPM's and 280 lbs torque at 2800 RPM's for example

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

It's all in the tune. And the setup of your car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
This person makes a interesting/good comment about V8's and immediate power at any RPM. Why would Ford produce a 420 HP car and make its power band so high up. Correct me if I'm missing something but wouldn't the 5.0 be more bad a$$ if Ford made its max HP at say 4000 rpm's and max torque at say 2700 RPM's.

What I'm saying is wouldn't it make sense to have the cars max power at lower and mid RPM's and not high RPM's. Not many DD cars at high RPM's.

Also question for you guys. Can someone change the cars computer to hit its max HP and torque at lower RPM'S that's different than what was given from the factory.

A 3.7 produces 305 HP at 6500 RPM's. It produces 280 lbs torque at 4250 RPM's.

Why not have 305 hp at 4300 RPM's and 280 lbs torque at 2800 RPM's for example

The thing to remember here, is that an engine is an air pump. It can only move so much air at any given time since it's displacement will never change. So in order to move more air, you need either a higher RPM or forced induction. Look at super bikes, the Honda S2000 or any Ferrari V8 for a great example of this. Small engines that make good HP but no torque.

With the variable timing the new 5.0 and well, almost every engine nowadays has, you could theoretically get better power by changing the cam phasing. Still that completely depends on the cam profiles, timing, valves, intake, etc... You would only be able to do so much without replacing parts in the valve train.

The Coyote just isn't a big torque engine, nothing will change that besides forced induction, nitrous or larger displacement. This might be one of the main reasons why I have never been impressed by a Coyote.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I just test drove a 2014 GT and guess what ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post

This. I didn't use my v6 's power to its potential nor my v8s but there is a noticeable difference. But if I put around town it's no more noticeable than driving my wife's old jetta or my civic other than getting way more compliments. Now getting on it is a different story but it's way more fun to cruise around in a mustang than our "old" cars.

Cyclone or coyote they are both great engines. Mustang 360 has a great article on the engineering about creating the coyote.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

I'd rather have a car that IS fast (12 second factory car) instead of a car that just feels fast because it makes peak power lower in the rpm. That's just me tho..
Old 08-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Because it is a DOHC and there for needs more rev's to make power.

Plus to make hp you have to rev it since it doesn't have the displacement.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

I just test drove a 2014 GT and guess what ????

I had the pleasure of driving my dads grand sport often enough to appreciate v8 power, before I got my 2014 v6, the newer GT torque was quite nice but man the fillup does suck. Overall I am happy that I have the newer V6's instead of the GT for affordability. I like the sleeper concept and the potential for our motors too, 305 hp is nothing to laugh at, remember the previous sedans we had and the dealer said 0.o 175 hp and i was like dammmmn. Def. beats my old 2002 corolla HP lol
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It's all in the tune. And the setup of your car.

Rap, are you saying a tune changes the cars HP and torque at different RPM's than the factory does? So could a tune allow a mustang to make max torque at 2800 RPM's for example?

Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The thing to remember here, is that an engine is an air pump. It can only move so much air at any given time since it's displacement will never change. So in order to move more air, you need either a higher RPM or forced induction. Look at super bikes, the Honda S2000 or any Ferrari V8 for a great example of this. Small engines that make good HP but no torque.

With the variable timing the new 5.0 and well, almost every engine nowadays has, you could theoretically get better power by changing the cam phasing. Still that completely depends on the cam profiles, timing, valves, intake, etc... You would only be able to do so much without replacing parts in the valve train.

The Coyote just isn't a big torque engine, nothing will change that besides forced induction, nitrous or larger displacement. This might be one of the main reasons why I have never been impressed by a Coyote.
I completely understand where your coming bro and great explination. Lets forget for a moment about bigger HP and torque but rather give the car the ability to reach its max hp and torque earlier and lower in the RPM range. So when a 3.7 is hitting its 305 hp at say 6500 rpm's it would hit the 305 hp at 4000 RPM's. The car would be accelerate faster because it hits its max power earlier.
Any thoughts on that?

Old 08-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The 351W does exactly what you are describing. It makes everything down low, hp and torque. Puts around all day long hauling a load without breaking a sweat. Good motor for truck but not for high performance car. The more even the power is spread across the rev range the better.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Well, my car is not tuned and has plenty torque down low. You can take a 90 degree turn like at an intersection barely moving and still be in 3rd gear and take right off. If I floor it from a stand still there is no gush of power at any rpm, its powerful all the way through. I think it is just tuned so everyday people can drive it and not kill everyone. You turn advance track all the way off and floor it, it will get away quick.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
Well, my car is not tuned and has plenty torque down low. You can take a 90 degree turn like at an intersection barely moving and still be in 3rd gear and take right off. If I floor it from a stand still there is no gush of power at any rpm, its powerful all the way through. I think it is just tuned so everyday people can drive it and not kill everyone. You turn advance track all the way off and floor it, it will get away quick.
Even on sport mode TC, take a turn and floor it, the back kicks out, then snaps to the other side, before being back to regular.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I completely understand where your coming bro and great explanation. Lets forget for a moment about bigger HP and torque but rather give the car the ability to reach its max hp and torque earlier and lower in the RPM range. So when a 3.7 is hitting its 305 hp at say 6500 rpm's it would hit the 305 hp at 4000 RPM's. The car would be accelerate faster because it hits its max power earlier.
Any thoughts on that?
If you could download a tune and basically compress the RPM range by 2000 rpm, the car would actually be slower, without changing the gears.

Assuming you did all of that, then yes, the car would be slightly faster. Simply because it was putting down more power on average than the car with the standard tune.

Here is a visual understanding of the advantages of torque.

A Boss 302 going 60 - 150 in 4th and 5th gear, ratios are 1.32 and 1.0 through a 3.73 final drive.

My Z28 going 50 - 140 using only 4th gear (1.0 ratio) and stock 3.42 rear axle.

Look at the times of when certain speeds are hit. Example, 70 - 110.

Both cars are at 70 MPH at 3 seconds into the video. 6 seconds later (9 seconds in both videos), both cars are doing 110 MPH. The difference is that my Z28 started at a low RPM and has been building power the entire time. At 17 seconds in the video, 14 seconds since hitting 70 MPH, the Boss is finally at 140 MPH, using 2 gears.

By 15 seconds into the Z28 video, I have already hit 140 MPH and never shifted, BTW around 4500 RPM is where the cam really picks up.

That is the difference that torque makes.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
If you could download a tune and basically compress the RPM range by 2000 rpm, the car would actually be slower, without changing the gears.

Assuming you did all of that, then yes, the car would be slightly faster. Simply because it was putting down more power on average than the car with the standard tune.

Here is a visual understanding of the advantages of torque.

A Boss 302 going 60 - 150 in 4th and 5th gear, ratios are 1.32 and 1.0 through a 3.73 final drive.

My Z28 going 50 - 140 using only 4th gear (1.0 ratio) and stock 3.42 rear axle.

Look at the times of when certain speeds are hit. Example, 70 - 110.

Both cars are at 70 MPH at 3 seconds into the video. 6 seconds later (9 seconds in both videos), both cars are doing 110 MPH. The difference is that my Z28 started at a low RPM and has been building power the entire time. At 17 seconds in the video, 14 seconds since hitting 70 MPH, the Boss is finally at 140 MPH, using 2 gears.

By 15 seconds into the Z28 video, I have already hit 140 MPH and never shifted, BTW around 4500 RPM is where the cam really picks up.

That is the difference that torque makes.
Thats something the 3.7 definitely lacks of! TORQUE! . So changing the max torque RPM's really wouldn't do much.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats something the 3.7 definitely lacks of! TORQUE! . So changing the max torque RPM's really wouldn't do much.

Psh, I think the 5.0 lacks torque. Although that's probably because the factory tune doesn't give it 300 + torque until above 3000 rpm.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #130
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It's an OHC motor, it needs revs to make power, so where in a pushrod motor like ish's Z28 he can start at a lower rpm and hold a gear longer using a gear like 3.42. The OHC using it's revs will need gearing like 3.73 to get into that power band easier, but since naturally an OHC can rev higher you can also hold the gear longer because of the extra revs. Which is why all DOHC motors IMO need to be forged like Rapinator's and spun to 8k rpm.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Which is why all DOHC motors IMO need to be forged like Rapinator's and spun to 8k rpm.
What do you need to safely spin the coyote to 8K? You don't have to forge it do you?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #132
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I wouldn't spin it that high without forging it. But you will want a bit of valve train work.

HID end all thread
Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I wouldn't spin it that high without forging it. But you will want a bit of valve train work.

Forge the entire engine? Eventually I want to put on a Cobra Jet Intake manifold, which makes peak power at 7750 rpm.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard that I'll need everything from the Manifold down that's on this list, obviously not the Boss STB, but it does fit over it, so I might as well get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407021998533.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	162742  
Old 08-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #135
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Crank is already forged. Do pistons and rods

HID end all thread
Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

How much do you think that would cost?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #137
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Not sure on a Coyote. Ask Rapinator

HID end all thread
Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Built motor your looking at $6,000 possibly more depending on the shop

Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Dang, that is ridiculous. Would running the CJ manifold on a non built motor and upgraded valve train be safe with around an 8K redline?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

8k on a stock motor will be iffy.
Do oil pump gears if you do

Mine was roughly 6

Manley H beams
Diamond pistons
Full ARP hardware
Heads works
Billet oil gears
11.5 compression
All labor
I am also on the boss 302 pcm software, for the tube that we are running

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang