I just test drove a 2014 GT and guess what ???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I just test drove a 2014 GT and guess what ????

I was at the dealers today scoping out F150 trucks for my friend Shari. While I was there I mentioned I had a 2012 V6 and thought about a V8. Of course I was invited to drive a nice GT Automatic. I did drive it, I did like it. But when just tooling around and not flooring it (WOW) it was no different then my V6. Actually my 2012 V6 sounded better with my Magnaflow streets and Airaid but it sure was not as quick accelerating. Like I said "WOW" that V8 felt great when floored.
I did like it a lot but not enough to trade my 3.7 V6 for it. My car is not as quick when I floor it going down the road but it still is very fast and feels great when I do.
I'm really glad I did the test drive to find out how much I still love my V6 and have no real need to go to a V8 for although both feel great to drive and I'm happy Ford still sells both.
The V8 had a 3.31 ratio rear and my V6 has a 2.73 and that actually makes up some of the difference accelerating. I may go for a 3.31 or 3.73 sometime in the future. The big advantage for me with having a V6 is better MPG and lower insurance plus 87 octane and not 93. Being on a fixed income it allows me to go further for a lesser cost.
I love my 3.7 V6 but if anybody tries to knock a V8 5.0 Mustang they are crazy. They are great powerful engines. The 3.7 V6 is not as powerful but is still a powerhouse in a Mustang.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm still holding off on test driving a 5.0. I just know that after i go through some gears in it, that i'm going to want the GT. I love my V6 though!

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I was Leary of driving it because i thought

I may like it way too much and not like my V6 anymore. I gotta admit I did really like it. If I was younger and still working it would be my first choice.
But, After driving my V6 for a couple of years and my few mods and the way I drive I just think my V6 is perfect for me.
I also drove a V8 Automatic (not a stick) My V6 is also an automatic. I love a stick but can't do them anymore (Long term)
I'm sure happy with my 3.7 V6 and I'm really happy Ford put it in my Mustang.
Of course I would be happy with a GT V8 automatic too.
Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
V8 is clearly better if money is not a factor.

However if you are regular joe and have to watch your money its not worth it. Additional 7000 plus worse mpg plus much higher insurance cost does not justify additional 100 hp or so.

Would I like to have a gt hell yah but I would have to be making 3 times as much as im now to say that I m ready to upgrade.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This whole thing with not being able to afford a gt is Ludacris.
I honestly believe it's a excuse.
Now getting the v6 over the gt is personal preference and a complete different case over " can't afford it"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The 5.0 had a significantly more harsh ride.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
When I was shopping for a new car last summer, I had narrowed my search down to either a new Challenger R/T 6 speed or Mustang GT Track Pack.

I think I drove at least 6 different 5.0's. However, I was not in any way impressed with them at all, well one ran well, the others were all turds. I felt like I was driving a slower than normal 2v 4.6. It made the noise and had the rumble but nothing to back it up.

That is the reason I ended up with the V6 in the first place, they all performed well. The 5.0's were extremely hit or miss and I could not find a Challenger with a 6spd in a 300 mile area that I could test drive. So I ordered the 3.7 Mustang.

I have still yet to be impressed with any new Coyote.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The 5.0 was more powerful, but not such a huge drastic feel of the seat of the pants difference.

That was disappointing, and to me definitely not worth $15,000.00 - $20,000.00 difference in fun to drive factor.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

All the 5.0 need is a tune and it's a 11 secound car.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have been able to drive a buddies Brembo GT (maybe 3.73?) for a couple of several hour fun rides and I was impressed at the difference. However I did not want to spend the extra $....I have about 90% of the pleasure for 70% of the price. A performance bargain...if it was 3k more I would have sprung for it but the approx 6k is not worth my $.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

All the 5.0 need is a tune and it's a 11 secound car.

...that and a drastic diet to looooze a few hundred pounds, and a good bit more to get into the 11's.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Now getting the v6 over the gt is personal preference and a complete different case over " can't afford it"

I didnt get one cuz i'd prob be stupid with it. My little girl needs to grow up with a daddy

Also the 3.7 surprised me quite a bit, thought it would be nice to have a v6 that could stick it to **** talkers.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black95GT View Post
Ill play, i love CS, and DoD
Ummm no buddy. A tune and tires will get you in the 11's.

Full exhaust and tires and your looking at low 11's. So try again bud

Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quoted the wrong person lol. Fkn phone

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
I didnt get one cuz i'd prob be stupid with it. My little girl needs to grow up with a daddy

Also the 3.7 surprised me quite a bit, thought it would be nice to have a v6 that could stick it to **** talkers.
You are right man,
The new v6 is no slouch they are extremely impressive. My wife had a 12 3.7, till our secound was born.

I would like to get another one eventually to play with again.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
...that and a drastic diet to looooze a few hundred pounds, and a good bit more to get into the 11's.
This is what I meant to quote. Not what it showed. Lol

Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Good read Ronnie
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
The 5.0 had a significantly more harsh ride.
I test drove V6's and the GT extensively before buying, including a performance package V6, the 5.0 doesn't have a "significantly more harsh ride. "
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope, rap is right, with a good driver and a tune, 11's are possible.

Granted, it would be easier with suspension, weight reduction, tune, etc. But it is possible with just a tune and a good driver... and DR's.

It really is surprisingly easy to get the 5.0 into the 11's. It's already a 12.5 - 12.9 second car.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not talking "DRAG RACING" or $$$$$

Just to have a nice enjoyable Mustang to drive both the 3.7 and 5.0 are very good. I like the V8 but not enough to get rid of my V6.
I really don't care if my car will turn in the 11's--- The 13's are really good enough for me. I did 13.3 with my Auto 3.7 which is a great time for a car that averages about 25 MPG on 87 octane BJ's or Sam's gas. Sounds great with the mod's I have and looks perfect.
I'm reading about the 2015 four cylinders that are supposed to be aw sum with over 300 horsepower but we just have to wait and see how they are. I just hope they will continue with the Mustang tradition of being fun to drive.
To me, the important thing is just having a "MUSTANG" to drive and just look at.
V6 or V8 is fine with me but for what I do the V6 works fine.
Ronnie
Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The V8 is short on torque too. That's why there isn't much difference in street driving. Now with some gears they both come alive and the difference is more apparent. I did 3.55s with an aluminum driveshaft and it's a world different. Of course my 3380 lb Mustang is a bit lighter too. Still it's a 1 second difference at the stripe. On street tires I can out 60' the V8.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I test drove a 2013 5.0 automatic with 3:15 gears and good lord I was extremely disappointed. I was expecting the second coming of Jesus and not even close. My modded 3.7 with 3:73 gears felt far faster.

That factory tune on the 5.0 sucks a $$. There is a horrible delay when you floor that b otch. A tune is a MUST in the 5.0

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I test drove a 2013 5.0 automatic with 3:15 gears and good lord I was extremely disappointed. I was expecting the second coming of Jesus and not even close. My modded 3.7 with 3:73 gears felt far faster.

That factory tune on the 5.0 sucks a $$. There is a horrible delay when you floor that b otch. A tune is a MUST in the 5.0

I know this all too well. I want to get this beast tuned. Not happening any time soon...
Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think a lot of people are disappointed test driving the GT because they go into the test drive thinking about the advertised 420 HP. And although those are peak numbers you really have to hit the upper RPM's to see that power. I remember after test driving it I came home and thought to myself there is no way those cars make 420 HP after owning several LS1 F bodies that had around 305. So puzzled I actually pulled up a stock GT's dyno graph when I got home and I found my answer as they really don't make over 300 HP until around 5500 RPMs.

This isn't to take anything away from it as I know it can run impressive times down a track when your able to stay in the powerband. But having that HP with that powerband isn't really usable in daily driving for your average driver.

And for the V6 guys complaining about the 5.0's tune, I think we can all agree that both the V6 and V8 car's came with horrible tunes from the factory and there is a lot of room for improvement if you want maximum performance.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Very well said!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I think a lot of people are disappointed test driving the GT because they go into the test drive thinking about the advertised 420 HP. And although those are peak numbers you really have to hit the upper RPM's to see that power. I remember after test driving it I came home and thought to myself there is no way those cars make 420 HP after owning several LS1 F bodies that had around 305. So puzzled I actually pulled up a stock GT's dyno graph when I got home and I found my answer as they really don't make over 300 HP until around 5500 RPMs.

This isn't to take anything away from it as I know it can run impressive times down a track when your able to stay in the powerband. But having that HP with that powerband isn't really usable in daily driving for your average driver.

And for the V6 guys complaining about the 5.0's tune, I think we can all agree that both the V6 and V8 car's came with horrible tunes from the factory and there is a lot of room for improvement if you want maximum performance.
That's what I thought about the new Camaro. I have always loved Camaros and drooled over the 5th gen forever then went to drive a new one and was like WHAT, my 93 z28 6 speed pulls as hard as this. Then I drove the new 5.0 and was in love, such a better car. Both cars seem like an everyday low power car until you get on it. I like that cause my wife can drive it and not get in trouble, or wreck it. They are really tame and easy to drive in the lower rpm's but when you open them up, with advance track off, you better be alert cause it will get away quick.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've been having a blast with the 2011 V6, but I realize it's now time, for me at least, to step up to the 5.0. I've been out of the fun zone for a month, meaning I've done absolutely nothing with the Mustang; no mods, and no weekend tracking of the car, which is what I was enjoying best. I hit the 60K miles mark quick, then it started to sit in the garage. The hot summers have me mowing grass, weeding, triming, then theres no time for the fun factor in the Mustang.

I think what I need is to hop in it, take it to a Ford dealership, and get the GT. This will get my blood boiling once again.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

I think your so right on so many point's. The V6 factory tune also is very poor with a big throttle delay and sloppy shifts for the automatics.
Im not sure why Ford designed the 5.0 to have its main power up so high. Like you said, for DD majority of people don't spend there time in 5500 RPM's. I would think Ford would of designed the car to have a better power band down lower RPM's. Useable 420 HP.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #28

Quote:

how is it an excuse? its at least 7k-8k more for base models. On 60 months, its at least $120 more per month while being worse on gas mileage + needing premium + being more on insurance.
Cades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cades View Post
how is it an excuse? its at least 7k-8k more for base models. On 60 months, its at least $120 more per month while being worse on gas mileage + needing premium + being more on insurance.
Hey man. You have to consider Rapinator's thought process. If you blow it up, just build bigger and better. I guess people figure since they have a money tree everybody else does. Its not like you may have other financial responsibilities or obligations. Ha ha ha

Must be nice to have the financial freedom's and securities as Rap.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

You can get a base 5.0 for under 28k off the lot.
The whole premium vs regular gas dilemma is nothing more than smoke. Your talking a extra $5-$10 max a fill up.

I'm not knocking v6, it's a bad *** car. The first performance v6 ever in the mustang IMO.
Can give the 3v alot of but hurt.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Much butt hurt
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can get a base 5.0 for under 28k off the lot.
The whole premium vs regular gas dilemma is nothing more than smoke. Your talking a extra $5-$10 max a fill up.

I'm not knocking v6, it's a bad *** car. The first performance v6 ever in the mustang IMO.

I agree the gas thing is almost nothing and besides I thought the 5.0 can take 87 octane just fine. As far as car insurance, I have no idea about cost of it compared to a V6.

One may be able to get a base 5.0 for under 28k but can't one get a base 3.7 for under 20K with all the rebates and deals.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey man. You have to consider Rapinator's thought process. If you blow it up, just build bigger and better. I guess people figure since they have a money tree everybody else does. Its not like you may have other financial responsibilities or obligations. Ha ha ha

Must be nice to have the financial freedom's and securities as Rap.

No need to go that deep with it,
I just believe if you wanted the GT get it.
If you wanted the V6 then get it, it's just as equally a bad *** car depending on your goals,

I have other responsibilities also. A 1 year old one and a 4 year old one, also a 23 year old, wife.

"Life is what you make it"
Famous quote

Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree the gas thing is almost nothing and besides I thought the 5.0 can take 87 octane just fine. As far as car insurance, I have no idea about cost of it compared to a V6.

One may be able to get a base 5.0 for under 28k but can't one get a base 3.7 for under 20K with all the rebates and deals.

Yes you can run 87 in the 5.0.
I'm sure I pay more than some people on insurance.
I pay $130 a month for my 5.0 and my wife's explorer.

Dam under 20k for a 3.7 now that's a hell of a deal then. I think we got my wife's old one for 23

Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes you can run 87 in the 5.0.
I'm sure I pay more than some people on insurance.
I pay $130 a month for my 5.0 and my wife's explorer.

Dam under 20k for a 3.7 now that's a hell of a deal then. I think we got my wife's old one for 23

I paid 22,500 for mine and that's with an auto that added 1k to the car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang