Turbo or supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Turbo or supercharger

I don't know the difference, but is there a turbo kit for 2014 v6 out yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes, lpfbuilt.com.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
To put it extremely basic both a supercharger and turbo create 'boost' by forcing air into the engine. The difference is a supercharger creates boost by a pulley and is belt driven off the engine. While a turbo is essentially a double sided fan. One side is in the exhaust the other in the intake. As the exhaust passes through it spins to create boost and force air into the engine.

If you youtube 'how a turbo works' and 'how a supercharger' works it should provide some good visuals that should better see the concept of each. As far as which is better there really isn't an 'better' choice as both have advantages and disadvantages, although generally turbos are more efficient.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
There really isn't a good proven turbo kit on the market yet.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
There really isn't a good proven turbo kit on the market yet.

True but I have confidence in justin and his shop. He built a really good friend's coyote, and his lightning b4 that.
He may not be the 100% on customer service, but that will come with time.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Give it a little time and you will see

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
True but I have confidence in justin and his shop. He built a really good friend's coyote, and his lightning b4 that.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

He said it ships tomorrow
We will see!

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

In time I think LPF will be the frontrunner, but personally I want to let them have some more R&D time before I look at it as a serious option. Granted, it's already worlds better than Hellion's failed attempt lol
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Jaja thanks guys... But what will "hurt" my car less?

elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Jaja thanks guys... But what will "hurt" my car less?

A Supercharger has a small parasitic effect, meaning it WILL cause more wear than the turbos, but if installed incorrectly the turbos can be dangerous.

Moral of the story: Don't be cheap. Get them set up by people who know what they're doing and you'll be fine.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Anything cause damage to your motor. More homework will help lessen the blow

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If I'm not mistaken, the procharger kit does not create boost when operating normal driving. No wear is on the engine when driving normal and not in the mid to upper RPM's.
Unless I'm missing something, the boost goes right out the vacuum so no stress on engine at all.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the procharger kit does not create boost when operating normal driving. No wear is on the engine when driving normal and not in the mid to upper RPM's.
Unless I'm missing something, the boost goes right out the vacuum so no stress on engine at all.
A supercharger taps into the crank (thus why you have to drill a whole for the small dowel to your crankshaft during the installation). A centrifugal supercharger ( like the Procharger) doesn't ramp up until the higher RPMs, however the parasitic effect is still there, it's just less than a traditional twin-screw style that allows boost right out of the gate,
Old 07-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
A supercharger taps into the crank (thus why you have to drill a whole for the small dowel to your crankshaft during the installation). A centrifugal supercharger ( like the Procharger) doesn't ramp up until the higher RPMs, however the parasitic effect is still there, it's just less than a traditional twin-screw style that allows boost right out of the gate,
Oh, I see. Thanks sir. Great info.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Smaller turbos can many times reach full boost much sooner than superchargers (roots type excluded), which are limited to a set boost vs RPM curve .

I wish more of the turbo kits concentrated on low end boost. These 6's really lack low end, but have plenty of power for me up top, even bone stock. Would love to see something around 250 ft-lbs to the wheels @ 1500-1800 RPM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you dont know the difference, you dont need one lol.
Do some engine research and decide which fits your needs. I believe a supercharger will put less stress on your motor for daily driving, but a turbo would be just badass
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

From what I've learned and read superchargers are more for street fun and pulling toward off the line and turbos are more for 1/4 mile racing

Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_out View Post
From what I've learned and read superchargers are more for street fun and pulling toward off the line and turbos are more for 1/4 mile racing

depends on SOOOO many factors. What size compressor are you using, what size AR housing, billit or cast wheels, journal or ball bearings.

You can have a turbo build blistering low end torque, but fall completely on its face by 5000 rpms because its way too small. You can also have a turbo that doesnt even spool until 5000 rpms, but gives a MASSIVE top end punch. It depends on how the car is built / prepped / tuned / and matched to the turbo.

The complexity of these cams really help this motor though, you can tune a very large turbo to act like a smaller one through tricky cam tuning. Retarding the ingition advance moves the flame front closer to the exhaust valve opening (read, more exhaust energy), at the loss of natural engine torque. Well, advance the intake cam (increases dynamic compression) to regain that natural engine torque, and you now have more exhaust energy at the same amount of natural engine torque = better spool.

A supercharger is nice because its just simple, it just is what it is, you put it on and you go. There is a lot more involved when buying / tuning a turbo set up.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ssssooooo wrong.

There is so much more to that.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

depends on SOOOO many factors. What size compressor are you using, what size AR housing, billit or cast wheels, journal or ball bearings.

You can have a turbo build blistering low end torque, but fall completely on its face by 5000 rpms because its way too small. You can also have a turbo that doesnt even spool until 5000 rpms, but gives a MASSIVE top end punch. It depends on how the car is built / prepped / tuned / and matched to the turbo.

The complexity of these cams really help this motor though, you can tune a very large turbo to act like a smaller one through tricky cam tuning. Retarding the ingition advance moves the flame front closer to the exhaust valve opening (read, more exhaust energy), at the loss of natural engine torque. Well, advance the intake cam (increases dynamic compression) to regain that natural engine torque, and you now have more exhaust energy at the same amount of natural engine torque = better spool.

A supercharger is nice because its just simple, it just is what it is, you put it on and you go. There is a lot more involved when buying / tuning a turbo set up.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang