Speaker swap/Upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Speaker swap/Upgrade

Hi guys,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on some speakers for my '12 v6 base. The stock stuff was nice at first since I was coming from an older car but I'm pretty much ready to grab some speakers to get better sound. I listen to country music and sometimes some music with some bass. Which speaker/size/output combo would be the best upgrade without changing out the head unit and all that?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
MustangMafia901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
The speaker size is 5x7 or 6x8. I have the shaker system and to be honest I didn't notice any difference in just the speakers. The real change was the HU. Unfortunately the stock Ford HU really isn't that good.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I just added a 10" sub with amp in the trunk and it made a world of difference! The shop installed an adjustment knob for the sub and I leave it a little over half way. I have the bass turned all the way down on the radio.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Cool! So just switching out to something like some infinitys wouldn't help much? And do they make HUs that fit the stock frame?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMafia901 View Post
Cool! So just switching out to something like some infinitys wouldn't help much? And do they make HUs that fit the stock frame?

From what the audio shop told me, the factory HU is mostly what holds the system back. They also said there wasn't a HU that fits right in. You'd probably have to get an aftermarket console piece. Now, this was about 2 years ago so I'm not sure what's out now.

Jeremy
Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
in my opinion swapping out the speakers made huge differance (base model) for $200 and an afternoon it is the way to go. Yep they make units that can swap out the head unit but sinc it also involves the hvac controls it gets expensive. I did all 4 (entry level Focals) and it made a big improvement. Unless you add a sub bass will be lacking but I havn't yet.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

You could buy a dash kit for a double DIN. The good thing is you dont have SYNC. I do and I had to use the Maestro kit along with a more expensive dash kit. I put a Alpine double din in it and I love it. Its not cheap though, with everything Im around 2k.

Im sure changing speakers will help you some but dont expect all that much. A good speaker is only as good as the source.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Socal, you should listen to the base speakers...if you don't have a buddy with a base car just get four friends with kazoos and have them play the bridge from Bohemian Rhapsody.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Socal, you should listen to the base speakers...if you don't have a buddy with a base car just get four friends with kazoos and have them play the bridge from Bohemian Rhapsody.

LOL...that bad huh?? The premium speakers arent that bad. They are actually a component system, low quality but still. Maybe thats why I didnt notice a big difference.

OP, you can get a decent set of speakers relatively cheap and they are easy to put in, give it a try and see what happens. You might love them and thats all you need. I tend to be more of an audio person. Id take a killer sound system over a any performance mod any day!!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I switched out everything: Changed Shaker 500 to a Kenwood DPX500BT, Front Speakers to Kicker/Shelby 6X8 & 8" Subs, Rear Speakers to JL Audio 5X7 & 10" Sub. Two Amps: Sound Stream "Rubicon" and Memphis Audio "1000D". Sound is Great.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not looking to drop a ton of money, so changing out everything isn't really an option. For just a speaker swap out on a base sound system I was thinking some infinitys or Bose or something like that. Any suggestions?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I'm not looking to drop a ton of money, so changing out everything isn't really an option. For just a speaker swap out on a base sound system I was thinking some infinitys or Bose or something like that. Any suggestions?

Alpine Type R's, Infinity, Kenwood, Hertz, Pioneer. Running off of the stock HU get any of the ones I mentioned. They will all do great off of HU power.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I switched out everything: Changed Shaker 500 to a Kenwood DPX500BT, Front Speakers to Kicker/Shelby 6X8 & 8" Subs, Rear Speakers to JL Audio 5X7 & 10" Sub. Two Amps: Sound Stream "Rubicon" and Memphis Audio "1000D". Sound is Great.

The stock 8" subs suck, do you think it was worth swapping them? I would just do the Kickers from Shelby.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I'll look for those brands at best buy so I can listen to them, but for the base model stereo I'm guessing the front speakers are the 5x7s?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Okay I'll look for those brands at best buy so I can listen to them, but for the base model stereo I'm guessing the front speakers are the 5x7s?

Best Buy?? Hell no...amazon. BB sells the Alpines for 199.00...Amazon around 100.00. Unless they are installing them avoid BB.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Changed out the 6" x 8" door speakers and the 8" door subs with the Shelby Kickers from www.shelbystore.com. They definitely represent an improvement, but I think the door subs could use a bit more power. Future improvements are to amp those subs a bit and replace the rear package shelf speakers. My system is a stock Shaker that came in my GT Premium, no trunk sub.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Best Buy?? Hell no...amazon. BB sells the Alpines for 199.00...Amazon around 100.00. Unless they are installing them avoid BB.

Oh haha I know I know. I just meant to go there and listen to the speakers with my music to see which are the best.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Oh haha I know I know. I just meant to go there and listen to the speakers with my music to see which are the best.

Oh ok...lol. Also look at the Polks they have as well. These are also some really nice afordable speakers. They have them on sale a lot too.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Okay cool. Right now my list includes:

Polk
Infinity
Kicker
Kenwood

Any other brands to look at?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, the Front Shelby's are excellent.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yes, the Front Shelby's are excellent.
They're just Kickers. BB sells something very similar.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Pioneer are always worth considering, though I went with the Shelby Kickers, in part for their plug-n-play fitment. I'm very pleased with these.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Speaker swap/Upgrade

What about Rockford fosgate? Can I install that brand speakers to my stang? What are the measurements for the front door speakers and the back trunk speakers if y'all don't mind helping me find out that info. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

SIZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo345 View Post
What about Rockford fosgate? Can I install that brand speakers to my stang? What are the measurements for the front door speakers and the back trunk speakers if y'all don't mind helping me find out that info. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
That's written all over this Thread.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
That's written all over this Thread.

Lol, yes it has been covered already. You can pretty much use any 5x7 or 6x8. Personally I would stick with the 6x8. I think they will fit a little better. However, if you find a 5x7 that you just have to have,youre good to go
Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

go to Crutchfield good prices (not the best but good) great service.
Google Crutchfield coupon code

I will say the problem with going to listen to car speakers is the enviroment of a showroom and a car are vastly differant.
Any of those mentioned will be a big improvement.

Socal, yep the base model speakers are the worst OEM's I've heard in 15+ years. I don't have golden ears but they are cringe worthy I like music (alot) and have a good bit of $ tied up in my home systems
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

This is what I currently have in my car.

Amazon.com : Kenwood KFC-P680C 6-Inch x 8-Inch Easy Fit Ford/Mazda Speaker System : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

They are a very decent speaker for the money. For a stock HU I would recommend them, if you plan on using an amp Id say keep looking.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
go to Crutchfield good prices (not the best but good) great service.
Google Crutchfield coupon code

I will say the problem with going to listen to car speakers is the enviroment of a showroom and a car are vastly differant.
Any of those mentioned will be a big improvement.

Socal, yep the base model speakers are the worst OEM's I've heard in 15+ years. I don't have golden ears but they are cringe worthy I like music (alot) and have a good bit of $ tied up in my home systems
Lol, that really does suck. I havent had a car with a base type of system in a very long time. Like I said the Shaker system has a really decent speaker for a stock system but still not good enough for me. Sound is a very subjective thing and you have to buy and use whats best for you.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I think I know what I'm going to do. I've found some speakers and an amp that would put me in around $150-200. My only question is; Would running a 2 channel amp to power the two front speakers be worth it? (After hearing the horrors of switching out the rear ones in the coupe I decided on just replacing the fronts) Would that be worth it, or if I go the amp route, should I just go all in with 4 speakers + sub overhaul?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Okay I think I know what I'm going to do. I've found some speakers and an amp that would put me in around $150-200. My only question is; Would running a 2 channel amp to power the two front speakers be worth it? (After hearing the horrors of switching out the rear ones in the coupe I decided on just replacing the fronts) Would that be worth it, or if I go the amp route, should I just go all in with 4 speakers + sub overhaul?
Amping the fronts is fine. The rears should be used a "fill" anyway. Who cares about peoe sitting in the back seat anyway...
Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet. Has anybody done a setup of an amp that would like to share how they did it? I'm not an audio genius

Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Sweet. Has anybody done a setup of an amp that would like to share how they did it? I'm not an audio genius

I did all four and it wasn't that difficult. Check this thread out. Adding rear AMP to Shaker 500 on 14 GT - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
Some don't like the "surround" sound effect from all four speakers. I happen to enjoy listening to music coming from all sides. That's why I amped all four and installed an eq.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

I've done many setups and installs from a simple set up to a high end fully active setup. What else do you want to know?
Old 08-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I did a two Amp setup, 4 channel Amp for all 6 speakers inside and a single channel Amp for the Sub in the Trunk.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering where to mount the amp, run wires, etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang