JLT Intake Concerns - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

JLT Intake Concerns

Okay guys I've had my JLT CAI on my 2012 stang for about 1 1/2 months now, and honestly I feel like I've lost a bit of power. The one I bought said it didn't require a tune, and yes it makes it sound and rumble ALOT nicer, but I feel like I'm so sluggish on the road now. Anybody know why or had the same experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
MustangMafia901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I don't have one on my Mustang but I did have one on my 350z. I'll agree,I felt a loss of power on that car as well. I went back to the stock and it felt better. Maybe it was all mental,but you know your car and you can feel when it's not right.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
its summer. /thread.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't get near the jump off the line that I did without it and my 0-60 seems slower than ever. Also, the shifting feels mistimed. (It's an auto) so I'm not sure what's going on. On AM the reviews were nothing but positive but these issues have worried me.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Even though it says you don't need one a tune would probably help.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thats because u probably don't have a tune do u

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
If the box isn't sealing well where it touches the hood, and where the tube goes through the box, your filter will suck in that nice HOT engine compartment air. This will make you lose power. Hot air=less dense/less power, cold air=denser and more power. The Steeda one is nice because it uses the factory cold air inlet from the grille, as well as doing an excellent job of sealing out air from the engine compartment. Haven't seen a JLT in person so I don't know if its the same.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Even though it says it doesn't require a tune, in all honesty it probably does. These cars are maf tuned. The moment you introduce more air, the maf doesn't know what to do. The maf expects to see X and the intake is showing it Y.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1337 View Post
Even though it says it doesn't require a tune, in all honesty it probably does. These cars are maf tuned. The moment you introduce more air, the maf doesn't know what to do. The maf expects to see X and the intake is showing it Y.

Thats not how a MAF works. In a nutshell, a MAFs purpose is to calculate the air density coming into the engine. Basically with what you're saying, the car wouldnt be able to tell the difference from idle, part throttle, cold weather, hot weather... thats the point of a MAF, is to be able to adjust to different dynamics.

The only reason an intake would require a tune is if you change its housing diameter from stock, because that is a very crucial calculation in mass airflow. In this case, you are correct, the computer would add fuel thinking the housing size is "x," but it is in fact "y," and (assuming Y>X) you would end up running lean.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So would that mean something is wrong with my whole air setup?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The only CAI's that IMO improve performance over the stock air box are the Steeda and Airaid ones, since they have rubber strips on top that press against the hood and re-use the stock factory air inlet to actually pull in outside air. The rest are just open air filters that pull air from inside the engine bay and make a cool noise. Quite possible it will negatively affect your cars performance compared to the stock air box.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well that's not cool. It's advertised as adding 10-15 rwhp last I checked. That's a lot I know but I bought it as my first mod so I accepted what it said lol

Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMafia901 View Post
Well that's not cool. It's advertised as adding 10-15 rwhp last I checked. That's a lot I know but I bought it as my first mod so I accepted what it said lol

That's with a tune. Without the tune your MAF won't adjust and it won't be sucking in any more air than stock.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
That's with a tune. Without the tune your MAF won't adjust and it won't be sucking in any more air than stock.

Again, not exactly true (regarding more air being sucked in than stock). If you assume the open element filter has a larger surface area than the stock panel filter, and assume the intake track had some prior obstruction it no longer has, the addition of a CAI WILL bring more air in than stock.

Again, this is NOT a bad thing, its the reason we all add intakes: more power. The only timing more air is an issue is if it is coming in the form of an increased MAF diameter that has not been tuned for.

Here, i found an example of a MAF curve for a mazdaspeed3 (i tune quite a few of these so i had one laying around).

The x Axis is MAF volts ( i believe the mustang uses frequency measured in hrtz, but the principle is the same) and the Y is G/s (grams per second) of airflow / fuel.

Based on a given mass air flow, which can vary depending on gear, load, rpm, flow potential... The MAF will fall at any point along this curve. As you can see, its a logrithmic curve, so it can handle quite a bit of additional airflow beyond stock perameters. Keep in mind, when flooring it through a gear, shifting, flooring it through a gear, shifting... you will fall through the same section (more or less) of the MAF over and over again, with only a slight increase in each gear due to the added load.

Now, when going to a larger intake, this entire curve needs to be scaled to change the math for mass air calculations. Thats basically what the "tune required" portion of the intake is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maf.png
Views:	80
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	162570  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Again, not exactly true (regarding more air being sucked in than stock). If you assume the open element filter has a larger surface area than the stock panel filter, and assume the intake track had some prior obstruction it no longer has, the addition of a CAI WILL bring more air in than stock.

Again, this is NOT a bad thing, its the reason we all add intakes: more power. The only timing more air is an issue is if it is coming in the form of an increased MAF diameter that has not been tuned for.

Here, i found an example of a MAF curve for a mazdaspeed3 (i tune quite a few of these so i had one laying around).

The x Axis is MAF volts ( i believe the mustang uses frequency measured in hrtz, but the principle is the same) and the Y is G/s (grams per second) of airflow / fuel.

Based on a given mass air flow, which can vary depending on gear, load, rpm, flow potential... The MAF will fall at any point along this curve. As you can see, its a logrithmic curve, so it can handle quite a bit of additional airflow beyond stock perameters. Keep in mind, when flooring it through a gear, shifting, flooring it through a gear, shifting... you will fall through the same section (more or less) of the MAF over and over again, with only a slight increase in each gear due to the added load.

Now, when going to a larger intake, this entire curve needs to be scaled to change the math for mass air calculations. Thats basically what the "tune required" portion of the intake is.
That seems to much like algebra, you lost me.... Lol
Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think it would technically be area under the curve, so thats calculus.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Ok so let's soak English here, I don't understand Greek... lol

4.6, K&N CAI tuned, torque bar, SLP Exhaust
Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

... As long as the intake you have is no tune required you will be fine.

IF the tune requires an intake it is because the MAF portion is larger. You will likely see bigger gains from a larger intake that requires a tune (because of the higher flow potential), so not all of the gains are coming from the tune alone.

A no tune required intake may or may not provide gains on its own without tuning for it, but they will likely be minimal. Its almost pointless though, since almost any other mods you would compound it with (gears, cat delete, headers...) do require a tune, so you may as well get the larger "tune required" intake. Just be sure not to install it until you have the tune, or you will zoom zoom boom.

Did i about sum it up for you?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so would you recommend selling my JLT and investing in one that is a tune required one?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

its up to you and your ultimate mod goals. If you want every bit of power N/A, sure, a larger intake will get you there. If you've only got an intake and cat delete, and a basic tune, you likely wont see an appreciable difference. just have to decide if the money you lose switching intakes is worth the few extra ponies at your particular power level.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm wanting to make it the baddest sixxer out there so the faster the better. Any suggestions on other intake/tune combos?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I'm wanting to make it the baddest sixxer out there so the faster the better. Any suggestions on other intake/tune combos?

Hope you have some seriously deep pockets... good luck...

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

If you want it to be the "baddest sixxer" out there maybe you should do something other than a CAI. I think most here will tell you they are not great power adders, more of a sound adder.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I don't exactly have deep pockets but I figure I sell the JLT and hold off on the new sound system I was about to get and I could afford a new one

Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
If you want it to be the "baddest sixxer" out there maybe you should do something other than a CAI. I think most here will tell you they are not great power adders, more of a sound adder.

Okay, well even though it's not a tune required CAI, will it still work well if I decide to put a tune on? If so I'll just keep it and build around it

Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Sell it. Put your stock air box back on and buy a tune instead. /thread. Cai's are not really worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang