HELP! - 4.10 gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Unhappy HELP! - 4.10 gears

Hey guys!

Got the 4.10 gears installed yesterday. Yes, i noticed the power difference. Feels like the car is always on Sport mode / overdrive. on the down side >>> bad gas mileage.. but this is something that i can take.

My problem now >>> vibration in the differential...

Scenario 1
- normal city driving 60-100kph - NO PROBLEM at all

Scenario 2
- normal highway driving up to 140kph - NO PROBLEM at all

Scenario3:

- Cruising @ 140kph @3000rpm (Diff still okay)
- Full throttle, tranny shifts 2 gears down (@5000rpm), then vibration in the differential starts (then i take my foot off the gas)
- the vibration feels deep

Scenario 4

- Cruising at 80-100kph (2100rpm)
- Then Full throttle, same vibration starts after passing 140kph

Scenario 5

- Driving @120kph
- Shifts to sports mode, then full throttle, same vibration starts after passing 140kph

In my stock 2.73, if i'm driving @ 140 kph then down shifts to 3rd gear, i dont notice any issues. I mean there is no vibration or whatsoever from the differential

Basically the vibration starts when there is a sudden down shift at high speed.

Help guys!
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 01:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If u just got them in and u think there is something wrong I wouldn't keep beating them up because if there not set in right and u keep beating them then they will set in and u will be stuck with it like that.. U should just go back to the mechanic who put them in and tell him and let him adjust the shims

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Aren't you supposed to drive a few hundred miles to let the gears break in before you drive high speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

@14mustangv6 I'm at the garage now...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There's a break in period for gears, not sure if that's the problem but sounds like you need to go easy on them.

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Even before full break in there shouldn't be any vibrations. Some thing is wrong.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You should NOT be giving your car full throttle or put it in sports mode or drive it hard for a few hundred miles after you just get new gears installed.... that could destroy them.....
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Went to the garage to have it checked.

Surprisingly, after several attempts to re-enact the driving scenario earlier to show the problem with the mechanic and lead engineer inside the car, there was no sign of the vibration at all! I event went crazy with the throttle to show the vibration during gear changes but it was zero!

Weird...

Their comments:
- perhaps the gears are still adjusting
- if there's a problem with the installation, there should have been vibrations and weird sounds even during low speed

Old 07-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
When i first read this post, it made me think of the video that i watched on youtube of the driveshaft failing after 130MPH. It got me thinking, does having a bigger gear ratio stress the driveshaft more than a smaller one? In my mind, if the rpm's on the highway are spinning faster with 4.10 gears than 2.73, wouldn't that almost be like driving at 130MPH? Also, that vibration that the OP was talking about sounds a lot like the buzzing in the video.

Is there any truth to my thinking or am i just an idiot

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
YES-YES-YES

The vibration is more then likely coming from the drive shaft. With the 4.10 gears installed it would be a good idea to get the aluminum one piece drive shaft as soon as possible.
The one on your car is spinning like a tornado at speed.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Aluminum drive shaft is next on my list. Just to be on the safe side...

Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you calculate the speeds that the driveshafts fail at, and then factor in the new gears, you're looking at a a failure speed at now a bit over 100mph. It will start to buzz at around 100mph normally - just a tiny amount, mind you. so you should be feeling something around 85-90mph now that gets worse as you get closer to 100mph.

One piece driveshaft also allows you to remove the limiter and push the whole thing to around 150mph or so if you really were that crazy.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So what are your guys's thoughts on replacing the factory drive shaft if it is my DD and I rarely go over 85 on the free way. I do city driving majority of the time, and I typically drive 65-70 on the highway.

Would 4.10 gears not be for me?

Prezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

@prezona I would highly recommend this specially if you want to drive crazy sometimes or u want to overtake a v8. I cannot comment on the other gears as I haven't used any aside from stock and the 4.10.

For me, city driving still feels okay.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
@prezona I would highly recommend this specially if you want to drive crazy sometimes or u want to overtake a v8. I cannot comment on the other gears as I haven't used any aside from stock and the 4.10.

GAHH. I just don't really want to drop another $700 on top of the $900 total I'm spending on gears and labor.

I mean if anything, the only "crazy" driving I do is a quick launch from stop light to stop light. I am a pretty conservative free way driver in the sense that I don't push my car over 100mph.

I guess I am just an occasional spirited daily driver.

So would 3.73's be a better/ safer pick if I was to not upgrade my driveshaft any time soon?
Prezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post

4.1 gears are not going to make you overtake a GT.....

Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
4.1 gears are not going to make you overtake a GT.....

To 60 mph it will. With 4.10s 2nd end right @60 mph. It rips through those two gears hard. Not a 3.73 Gt, but a 3.15 auto gt yes.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Gears aren't going to change your power, period. They will improve your acceleration, but the impact is mainly right off the line, not in the long run. The difference over a long distance 3.73s and 4.10s is very little. In fact even between 3.55 and 3.73 is very little. Steeper gear ratio will give you that kick-in-the-pants, press-your-butt-into-the-seat feeling off the line. It's not going to make your car a whole faster.

Read this sticky post by Ish416 from the DIY forum before you respond:
The truth about gears..

And here is the data table for our 3.7Ls.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
To 60 mph it will. With 4.10s 2nd end right @60 mph. It rips through those two gears hard. Not a 3.73 Gt, but a 3.15 auto gt yes.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

A 0-60 launch is not "overtaking a GT". "Overtaking a GT" is going past it over a distance, such as a 1/4. Show me a video where a stock 3.7 with 4.1's beats a stock GT in a 1/4. 0-60 times are useless they mean nothing comparing one vehicle to another, especially a GT where their power is in the upper band....

Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Gears aren't going to change your power, period. They will improve your acceleration, but the impact is mainly right off the line, not in the long run. The difference over a long distance 3.73s and 4.10s is very little. In fact even between 3.55 and 3.73 is very little. Steeper gear ratio will give you that kick-in-the-pants, press-your-butt-into-the-seat feeling off the line. It's not going to make your car a whole faster.

Read this sticky post by Ish416 from the DIY forum before you respond:
The truth about gears..

And here is the data table for our 3.7Ls.

+1
I remembered this and was just looking for it to post it! So happy we have that

Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A 0-60 launch is not "overtaking a GT". "Overtaking a GT" is going past it over a distance, such as a 1/4. Show me a video where a stock 3.7 with 4.1's beats a stock GT in a 1/4. 0-60 times are useless they mean nothing comparing one vehicle to another, especially a GT where their power is in the upper band....

I never said it will beat it over long distances. I said it would to 60 mph... that was my point lol. And by the way, I do have a video of my v6 beating my friends 5.0 at the strip lol. he got a bad launch and 60" 2.4 to my 2.1...but he redlighted and i didn't. he has stock 3.31 gears i'm on 4.10s. not really what you asked for...but the 4.10s definitely help the car pull ahead and stay ahead for a while. on an auto they are the perfect gear.

the 5.0 ran a 14.01@110 to my 13.64@106. i dont know what the annoncer was talking about lol the 5.0 redlighted but technically "lost" obviously the trap speed shows that he would pull ahead but the 4.10s help the car pull forward quickly. there was a auto 2013 performance package v6 w/ tune/intake running 14+@98 mph.

it was hot out and the track is inclined.

i know gears don't add any power. if anything it would read a little less on a dyno.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i know gears don't add any power. if anything it would read a little less on a dyno.
Agreed, and I get you about the 0-60. I wasn't replying to you in particular when I made my post, just making a public service announcement. I didn't know about this topic much until I read Ish's sticky like a month ago.

I would disagree with you about 4.10 being the perfect gear for autos, because I read that it's a harsh ride, and I read about one guy on here who even got suspension damage from them for the harshness (can't remember who, please chime in if you remember). So with that data about the minimal performance improvement, I'd rather have a smoother ride and better fuel economy with 3.55s. This is totally personal opinion, of course, as is yours that 4.10s are best. When my warranty goes in 7K miles, I'm getting 3.55s.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I never said it will beat it over long distances. I said it would to 60 mph... that was my point lol. And by the way, I do have a video of my v6 beating my friends 5.0 at the strip lol. he got a bad launch and 60" 2.4 to my 2.1...but he redlighted and i didn't. he has stock 3.31 gears i'm on 4.10s. not really what you asked for...but the 4.10s definitely help the car pull ahead and stay ahead for a while. on an auto they are the perfect gear.

the 5.0 ran a 14.01@110 to my 13.64@106. i dont know what the annoncer was talking about lol the 5.0 redlighted but technically "lost" obviously the trap speed shows that he would pull ahead but the 4.10s help the car pull forward quickly. there was a auto 2013 performance package v6 w/ tune/intake running 14+@98 mph.

it was hot out and the track is inclined.

Not arguing with you that it'll be quicker to 60mph, but the OP said "a stock v6 with 4.1s will ***OVERTAKE*** a GT" I'm disagreeing with him saying that it would not. "Overtake" implies that the
V6 would pull ahead of the GT in a race, when really they would be dead even almost until the GT blows it out of the water.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Agreed, and I get you about the 0-60. I wasn't replying to you in particular when I made my post, just making a public service announcement. I didn't know about this topic much until I read Ish's sticky like a month ago.

I would disagree with you about 4.10 being the perfect gear for autos, because I read that it's a harsh ride, and I read about one guy on here who even got suspension damage from them for the harshness (can't remember who, please chime in if you remember). So with that data about the minimal performance improvement, I'd rather have a smoother ride and better fuel economy with 3.55s. This is totally personal opinion, of course, as is yours that 4.10s are best. When my warranty goes in 7K miles, I'm getting 3.55s.
Harsh ride? lol what? gears have nothing to do with suspension.

yea fuel economy isn't the best. i still get about 27-28 MPG @ 65 MPH though. I didn't buy a mustang for mpg anyway
Old 08-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not arguing with you that it'll be quicker to 60mph, but the OP said "a stock v6 with 4.1s will ***OVERTAKE*** a GT" I'm disagreeing with him saying that it would not. "Overtake" implies that the
V6 would pull ahead of the GT in a race, when really they would be dead even almost until the GT blows it out of the water.

Yea I agree with you lol v6 will never overtake and pull a 5.0 unless it is supercharged or turbo charged. otherwise it's a game of catch up for the 5.0 until he blows by you around 100 mph.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Harsh ride? lol what? gears have nothing to do with suspension.

yea fuel economy isn't the best. i still get about 27-28 MPG @ 65 MPH though. I didn't buy a mustang for mpg anyway
Harsh wasn't the right word, I meant jerkier shifts. Yes I know gears have nothing to do with suspension. It was an indirect cause... like the jerky shifts over and over caused a control arm to break or something.... I'm trying to search for it. Someone else has gotta remember, this was like 6 months ago on ME.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I agree with you lol v6 will never overtake and pull a 5.0 unless it is supercharged or turbo charged. otherwise it's a game of catch up for the 5.0 until he blows by you around 100 mph.

The GT will blow by a stock v6 with 4.1 gears at 65mph lol. 4.1 gears don't make a difference (so negligible it's basically not a difference) over the 3.73s or even 3.55s over distance

Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
My car has the stock 3.15's. You think you could out 60' me?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

After days of testing, i can still feel the vibration underneath after high speed automatic down shifts on WOT. Bear in mind, this only happen on full throttle and when the tranny down shifts and hit speed of 140kph up.

Again, there is no vibration during normal driving at ANY speed and only happens on WOT at high speed.

I guess the only way to solve the problem is by upgrading to an aluminum driveshaft.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Yes

Aluminum drive shaft should do it and also make you feel a lot less stressful.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It's only available through AM. But I stopped using AM after a bad experience. Amazon seems to be much easier for international orders.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang