V6 Driveshaft replacement MPG - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #1

Region: New Mexico
V6 Driveshaft replacement MPG

Hello! This is my first post! I purchased a 2012 V6 mustang with the performance package about a month ago, and it wasn't until after my purchase that I discovered this forum and started reading about the driveshaft failure at around 135mph. I was wondering that if I were to replace it with a once piece aluminum driveshaft, would that effect the MPG in any way? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
LeSpaceBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This is my next mod so I too would like an answer to this.

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
In my mind it should improve. Don't take my word for it bit it is lighter and more efficient so logically better gas mileage. All depends on of you change your driving style I suppose.

05 Gt Premium Performance White
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
The difference in mpg is negligible.
What you will notice is a much smoother ride.
When I installed mine I noticed much less driveline vibration.
You'll also have the also have the also ability to go over 135mph :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #5

@iantrusive- I am planning on doing it soon too. What driveshaft are you looking into and where are you going to buy it?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

@alrefire- that does sound pretty amazing. What is the top speed you have gone since you put in the new driveshaft? Pretty excited to do mine. Which one did you go with? Thanks for the response!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSpaceBuster View Post
@alrefire- that does sound pretty amazing. What is the top speed you have gone since you put in the new driveshaft? Pretty excited to do mine. Which one did you go with? Thanks for the response!

I plead the fifth
And DSS

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@iantrusive- I am planning on doing it soon too. What driveshaft are you looking into and where are you going to buy it?

One piece aluminum from AM.

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Mine is from Shaft Masters in Michigan. On a recent 2000 mile trip the mileage increase with 3.55 gears was huge. Not slight, but significant. Several MPG constantly and well over 30 mpg. It's also worth a tenth or more at the track. .14 in my case.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
It may hurt city driving, but help highway. A heavier flywheel and drive shaft are better for keeping momentum. The other side is, it takes less energy to move it from the start and keep moving (because of less mass). Now, a DS with less mass can still be "heavier" because of its size, since it is rotational mass being calculated has to do with the all around dimensions calculated by the actual rotating speed.

I have seen an improvement, or no difference with mine from AM. It is hard to compare the situations that occurred. I didn't do ABA testing, nor did I care to calculate. For $400 installed brand new, I couldn't pass it up. Testing would have cost me around $400 more plus the fuel and miles....so no thank you lol.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Hello! This is my first post! I purchased a 2012 V6 mustang with the performance package about a month ago, and it wasn't until after my purchase that I discovered this forum and started reading about the driveshaft failure at around 135mph. I was wondering that if I were to replace it with a once piece aluminum driveshaft, would that effect the MPG in any way? Thank you!

I have a one piece aluminum drive shaft for my 2011 3.7 and it's great. Absolutely no loss in mpg's and I have been 145 mph in her. She is smooth and steady. Great great great mod!

I purchased mine from AM and manufactured by The Axle Exchange

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
It may hurt city driving, but help highway. A heavier flywheel and drive shaft are better for keeping momentum. The other side is, it takes less energy to move it from the start and keep moving (because of less mass). Now, a DS with less mass can still be "heavier" because of its size, since it is rotational mass being calculated has to do with the all around dimensions calculated by the actual rotating speed.

I have seen an improvement, or no difference with mine from AM. It is hard to compare the situations that occurred. I didn't do ABA testing, nor did I care to calculate. For $400 installed brand new, I couldn't pass it up. Testing would have cost me around $400 more plus the fuel and miles....so no thank you lol.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
I'm confused. You said it may hurt city, help highway. But in your description it sounds the other way around. Did you mean help city, hurt highway?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
I'm confused. You said it may hurt city, help highway. But in your description it sounds the other way around. Did you mean help city, hurt highway?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Well, it depends how one drives, I guess. But the momentum lasts longer, so less fuel is needed. If the flywheel is in motion, then it doesn't need to be spun more. I have only heard it in theory and about some of it with racecars, and manufacturers testing. I can't personally speak to results of adding heavier parts.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Very situational. I'd say it would help city more from less mass needing rotated during full-stop take offs. The momentum thing would matter more in constant driving with small slow down periods I suspect.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, it confuses the crap out of me. I think it could help or hurt either way(c/h) depending on the actual road conditions. I have only noticed improvements or staying the same, and I always keep momentum unless something really messes my groove up. A modification I suggest, but I would look for a deal. For 300 a no brained, I wasn't eager to pull the trigger at $700 before install.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #16

How did you guys install your driveshaft?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
so why would more momentum aid in fuel mileage...if that theory holds true wouldn't a 2 ton ds then give you over 150 mpg? The momentum will keep the motion going but the energy to get it going will never be completely recovered. Just looking to be learned NOT to insult or call folks out.

I haven't done one but don't they just bolt in?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
so why would more momentum aid in fuel mileage...if that theory holds true wouldn't a 2 ton ds then give you over 150 mpg? The momentum will keep the motion going but the energy to get it going will never be completely recovered. Just looking to be learned NOT to insult or call folks out.

I haven't done one but don't they just bolt in?
That should depend a lot on how much stop-and-go you are doing versus cruising. First of all, we have all been saying "momentum" but what we are really talking about here is rotational mass and inertia. It's not about the weight ("2 ton" as you said) but about the distribution of the weight around the center of rotation. Apparently the stock driveshaft has a big flywheel on it? (Or is it the other way around and the one-piece ds has a big flywheel? This is why I was confused earlier and the question was never answered.)

If you had a heavy driveshaft with a lot of rotational inertia, it will take more energy to get moving from a dead-stop, yes you are right. But once you are cruising on the highway, all that rotational inertia will allow you keep right on trucking and maintain a constant velocity with less load on your engine. Remember Newton's 2nd law: F = m*a, so if you are cruising you have zero acceleration and therefore don't need any force. Although in practice you do need a little bit of force to overcome drag/friction. If you have high rotational inertia due to the flywheel, your engine will be doing less work to keep your velocity up.

What UltArc is saying is that if you did a ton of highway driving, your reduced engine load when cruising will offset your increased engine load off a dead-stop. But if you do a ton of city driving, the reduced engine load when cruising will not be enough to offset the increased engine load in the city.

It's not going to be a straight-forward calculation to figure out how much one way or the other is going to flip the decision. That's why everyone is saying it depends on your driving style.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
One thing you need to remember is that our tires arent rated to go that fast either lol .
Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I found that my gas mileage was better in town and the same on the interstate the main thing was that the car was smoother and revs quicker axel exchange from AM

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIsland3.7 View Post
One thing you need to remember is that our tires arent rated to go that fast either lol .
That is very true. The funny thing about our tires is this. The factory tires on my wife's Mazda mini van have a higher speed rating than my 305 HP mustang. Ba ha ha ha. Any problem there. Lol

Sent from my naked Johnson. The thrid real non Boss 227
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

There is a 9 lb. chunk of steel in that 2 piece drive shaft. Rotating weight is an enemy of performance. I doubt there is a better performance upgrade for the money than the AD. Any full time race car has one. So do many of the better built factory vehicles. I've NEVER seen a car changed to an AD and go slower at the track!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
There is a 9 lb. chunk of steel in that 2 piece drive shaft. Rotating weight is an enemy of performance. I doubt there is a better performance upgrade for the money than the AD. Any full time race car has one. So do many of the better built factory vehicles. I've NEVER seen a car changed to an AD and go slower at the track!
No one would disagree with you on that. The OP knows that the 1-piece is better for performance, but specifically asked it is going to affect mpg. The answer to that question is not as straight-forward.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

MPG with normal street driving is almost negligible. On the highway with the cruise on, it really shows up in a very positive way. Out west I do a lot of cruise control driving so it's paid off nicely. Best investment I put into this car.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've been looking for a driveshaft for my 2014 in amazon but no luck so far...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Sakib, I appreciate the answer and agree with your driving style making a differance but I'm not buying into the mpg benefits of any flywheel affect. I do know you never get 100% return on energy expended and you'll expend energy turning the driveshaft which you won't recover.

I wish I could find one for $400! I have no need for it but dang that was a great find.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So. My post didn't post. Frustration.

Here is a simple little description, but more about the flywheel than driveshaft. I am going off of limited fly wheel knowledge, and applying to the drive shaft. Not exact same, but I am not a ticket scientist and am not an expert on this.

This is the support brief overview: http://www.racetep.com/flywheel.html

Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

^^^^ READ THIS. Very good. But I don't understand why Black12 is getting much better mpg's when cruising on the highway with his 1-piece driveshaft, if this is the case.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #29

I was looking at the AD available from Am Muscle and it looks like they offer two different drive shafts for the V6; one with a 4-bolt flange and one with a 6-bolt flange! This doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone who purchased the aluminum driveshaft shed some light on this?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTPONY View Post
I was looking at the AD available from Am Muscle and it looks like they offer two different drive shafts for the V6; one with a 4-bolt flange and one with a 6-bolt flange! This doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone who purchased the aluminum driveshaft shed some light on this?
I have no idea what your talking about but I have a 3.7 and purchased a one piece aluminum driveshaft from American Muscle. It was made by the axle exchange and fits perfect.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The thrid real non Boss 227
Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Mine didn't need anything new, four bolts for each end and fit perfect. Bought from someone on here, and CRT Performance put it in.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

If I told you people what I got for cruise mileage with my 3.55 gears and stock tires you wouldn't believe me so I didn't. I'll just say I was very suspicious myself and began doing the mileage numbers and gallons to fill routine. That really was amazing. All I can say is I was gaining altitude from OKC to Flagstaff. Did it make any difference? I doubt it. The car delivered mpg beyond my expectations. 1800 miles is no fluke. Cruise was between 70-75 mph the entire time. No reason to BS anyone.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
If I told you people what I got for cruise mileage with my 3.55 gears and stock tires you wouldn't believe me so I didn't. I'll just say I was very suspicious myself and began doing the mileage numbers and gallons to fill routine. That really was amazing. All I can say is I was gaining altitude from OKC to Flagstaff. Did it make any difference? I doubt it. The car delivered mpg beyond my expectations. 1800 miles is no fluke. Cruise was between 70-75 mph the entire time. No reason to BS anyone.
Oh I wasn't questioning your results one bit. You have no reason to BS anyone. I'm just trying to understand it from a technical perspective. Please - tell us the number! I really want to know because your setup is exactly what I'm considering right now. 3.55 gears instead of my current 2.73. And maybe the 1-piece driveshaft, depending on what you tell us right now!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

so thx to you guys I spent 1/2 hr looking with my buddy Google at what the web offered. The sites I looked at were varied about mpg effects but the majority verdict was more mpg due to less weight but less mpg to to loss of engine momentum (I found more info on flywheels but same effect). Interesting stuff for sure. I'm sticking with the more mpg but learned enough that there is no "real" answer. Thx guys for the learning and another reason to dig this site.

Black12, I'm with Sakib and you seem honest enough not to be BS'ing but dang you've got a good one. What size tires do you have...with my 19's (both perf pack and Nero's) the most I've had was under 27 all hwy 70-75 w/o cruise on. I'm assuming stick in yours too. You are def on the right side of the bell curve along with Arc, but we know why he's there as he really works it.

Mud
Old 08-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I use a Diablosport 87 tune for normal driving along with 3.55 gears and the Aluminum Driveshaft. This may have "something" to do with my mileage. I also have opened up the air intake to the front of my grill right to the air box. It was worth 2 mph at the track on a cool night. My mileage was over 34 mpg for hours on end and that was doing the math. The mpg on the dash was unbelievable (over 34) so that's why I started doing it with miles and gallons pumped. I can't explain this a bit because I had my car loaded to the brim and it had to weigh 4000lbs! My car empty weighs 3380. I'm going to credit Diablosport for the great street tune. That's got to be it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang