Rough shift from N to 1st and 2nd gear new '14 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Rough shift from N to 1st and 2nd gear new '14

Hey guys, So I recently bought a new 14 mustang manual v6 base and have been relatively easy on the new clutch (less than 3k RPMS and granny shifting) but I am starting to notice that going from neutral at a stop to 1st or second, the shifter slightly locks and is not as smooth/firm as going from like 3-4 or 4-5 etc. Currently the car has 580 miles on it. I notice that certain angles make it shift from neutral to 1st/2nd like butter but generally it seems rough almost equivalent to inserting a key into a lock (ratchet-like) when other gear changes are solid and one direct movement. And yes, pressing the clutch all the way down when shifting and easing into the gas. I heard the stock shifter sucks horrible but since this is my first manual & new car (had a bike for a year) I dont know if this is normal as the gearbox is setting in or maybe it's time to go back to the dealer and see whats up.

What do you guys think? And yes..going to get the full Barton Shifter by end of August
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
No need for a complete shifter just get the bracket only the stock shifter is good unless you just want to buy a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I did the bracket and it did make a difference. If I had to do it again I'd go with a new shifter as well. It's on my list, just low priority.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Since this is my first manual I don't see the stock shifts as being long, obviously a short throw would really make this an upgrade over the stock. I wanted to go with the full shifter with the mindset of, I'm already adding the bracket and for not that much more, can get the whole kit done and have a new experience and fit with firm shifts

Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A cheap and simple fix is just replace the bushing with this $11 part (shipped free). While it won't be as good as an $80 bracket, it will be a huge improvement and might be all you really need.

Prothane 6-1612-BL Mustang MT-82 Shifter Bushing V6/GT 2011-14
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
A cheap and simple fix is just replace the bushing with this $11 part (shipped free). While it won't be as good as an $80 bracket, it will be a huge improvement and might be all you really need.

I am just wondering if it should even be a fix since the car has the power train warranty so I'm thinking I can turn it in and see if the stock bushing has a fault and get some new OEM parts then get the Barton bracket and accessories and keep the brand new OEM in case of a rainy day or whatever could happen

Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'm not sure a new zip tied piece of foam is going to be any better than an old zip tied piece of foam. Mine had a similar issue and the bracket fixed 90% of it. However, I think saving for an MGW is probably the best solution.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I'm not sure a new zip tied piece of foam is going to be any better than an old zip tied piece of foam. Mine had a similar issue and the bracket fixed 90% of it. However, I think saving for an MGW is probably the best solution.

So you also had this rough shifting occur as I am before you got the bracket? What is the main noticeable difference the bracket would offer, smooth one direction shifts?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The main noticeable difference with the bracket is your brand new car shifts into all the gears without any special tricks or extra efforts.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
The main noticeable difference with the bracket is your brand new car shifts into all the gears without any special tricks or extra efforts.

Perfect, makes you wonder why the mustangs just didn't come with this

Old 08-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have seen a lot of posts on here about people having trouble shifting on the base. I for one have put 5000 miles on mine and haven't had any problems, aside from an occasional missed shift, which is only to be expected. This makes me think there may be a particular line of Mustangs that have this problem. Before you go spending $80+, go to the dealership and see if it is a problem they can fix for free.

blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I just received my Barton 2 post bracket yesterday from AM. One of these days I will get a chance to put it in. (hoping next week) The stock shifter throw seems fine to me. My first manual Mustang was a '66 with a 4 speed. That was a long throw...
With the '14, the only time I miss a shift is when I am on it pretty hard going from 2nd to 3rd. This Barton bracket should take care of that issue...From what I have gathered on here and other sites, the bracket does take care of most of the shifting problem...FWIW, I am very impressed with the build quality of the Barton.

Steve
'14 Deep Impact Blue V-6 Coupe
MCA Package
V-6 Performance Package
Premium Package
SRE TUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I like the reviews of the Barton shifter but this one looks good too:

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml

I'd prefer to stick with AM though and get the Barton shifter. I never had a chance to miss a shift since I have been babying the shifting but that would suck missing from 2nd back to first and hard redlining

Old 08-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
I have seen a lot of posts on here about people having trouble shifting on the base. I for one have put 5000 miles on mine and haven't had any problems, aside from an occasional missed shift, which is only to be expected. This makes me think there may be a particular line of Mustangs that have this problem. Before you go spending $80+, go to the dealership and see if it is a problem they can fix for free.

Red line shift from 2nd to 3rd and then you'll understand.

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

On the newer stangs isn't there a safety lock to prevent you from missing the shift from 2nd back into 1st if your already at redline or over a certain rpm?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

With the Barton bracket my car shifts at redline with ease With the stock bracket it took two or three try's. after replacing my stock bracket it made a lot more sense to me why it's works better. That's why I'm not a big fan of just changing out the rubber and not the entire bracket. The energy suspension will work short term until it wears in against the stock bracket then back to square one.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post

Think about it same problem since 2011 so like I stated before ford has its hand in the after market. Weak factory tune , heavy failing driveshaft, shifter bracket functions poorly. Top three mods of discussion these days

Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Welcome to the crappy MT-82. There is a Tremec Option for the 3.7L Mustangs now.

Tremec T-56 XL 3.7L Mustang Install | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

If you go Barton get the long throw not the short throw that makes the MT82 actually worse.

The poly shifter bracket is a cheap middle ground solution. The factory unit is just sloppy rubber no matter what year.

I would get the MGW if you do not plan on the Tremec later.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

The stock bracket and soft bushing is to reduce noise and increase comfort. Keep in mind those that purchase these cars are not all enthusiasts. They won't be redline power shifting. I have the UPR bracket and the noise and clunky feel (reminds me of the Tremec I had in my '92) increased a good bit.

Jeremy
Old 08-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well I am not shifting hard at all for the break in period but even then it's rough and not the norm so I say manufacturer room of improvement?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I am not shifting hard at all for the break in period but even then it's rough and not the norm so I say manufacturer room of improvement?

+1 mine was hard to shift from day one at any rpm
Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So I came back from my girlfriends house and was testing RPM waters by gear changing at 4-5k RPMS, I notice from a stand still 1st to second at that rev range is also rough as heck, but second to third is easier and so forth. I think it wouldnt hurt to take it to a local ford dealership and have them take a look at it, at least its still under warranty...but going back to what everyone was saying, what's the point of putting back in another MT82 set (if that ones got an issue) when the OEM shifter is pulled from an F150 bracket. Going from stage one to stage one again.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I never had an issue on 1-2 redline shifts, except 2-3. I'd get locked out due to misalignment with the stock bracket, like hitting a wall with the shifter. 1-2 was a handful at low rpms. If I held the shifter a specific way like someone demonstrated in a thread one day (minimizing down/up forces and just focusing on side movement with your palm) it would shift butter smooth. It's because you're flexing the remote shift box on the flimsy factory bracket and misaligning the shifter.

There is also a mod where people shim the shifter bowl and it makes the car go into gear better. Unfortunately trying to find info on it is a pain, especially with specifics. This tells me the remote shift box isn't 100% correctly made for this application and why I recommend the MGW unit over a bandaid shifter bracket. It replaces everything with new unit.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I never had an issue on 1-2 redline shifts, except 2-3. I'd get locked out due to misalignment with the stock bracket, like hitting a wall with the shifter. 1-2 was a handful at low rpms. If I held the shifter a specific way like someone demonstrated in a thread one day (minimizing down/up forces and just focusing on side movement with your palm) it would shift butter smooth. It's because you're flexing the remote shift box on the flimsy factory bracket and misaligning the shifter.

There is also a mod where people shim the shifter bowl and it makes the car go into gear better. Unfortunately trying to find info on it is a pain, especially with specifics. This tells me the remote shift box isn't 100% correctly made for this application and why I recommend the MGW unit over a bandaid shifter bracket. It replaces everything with new unit.

I havnt seen that thread yet, but I seem to be making my own 'styles' for shifting like butter recently haha. I have about $1k modding money coming in at the end of august but the hardest part is deciding on what to work on first. I like to think from the outside in; don't impress others when you spend the most time inside the car and make the payments, work wth what you use everyday to modify. The only thing that bugs me, even though I got a new stang is necessary work I have to put into it rather than optional standards. If Ford knew customers were getting crappy shifts from the manual in the low gears (but then again its the consensus we are all moving to automatics and paddles), AND its been apparent since 2011, wouldn't the last style of 2014 fix the issue or is the demand just not enough to rectify the savings in complaints. Even if they did have their hand in Aftermarket, as previously stated, would they be breaking even in the long run.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I seem to invest more money on small things that keep it in good shape (shifter bracket so I don't fubar the trans, splash guards for gravel roads around here) than I do for actual performance or looks.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

The nvh from my sr bracket is so bad ive been thinkin abt getting this bushing.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I just put in an MGW a week or so ago and have actually had the same issues with 1-2. If it isn't lined up right, it grabs while just running around town. But on the other hand, if I don't think about it or am not worried about missing it, it hits the gear perfectly. The throws are so close together that I just get paranoid of dropping it into 4th on accident. It also might be due to the fact that I bought it used, it's not the current revision and didn't come with the MGW dust boot. The factory one "fits", but might be the reason for the occasional hangup.

But it's also worth every penny. I'm sure it'll be perfect once I get used to it and some good, hard practice miles on it.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I just put in an MGW a week or so ago and have actually had the same issues with 1-2. If it isn't lined up right, it grabs while just running around town. But on the other hand, if I don't think about it or am not worried about missing it, it hits the gear perfectly. The throws are so close together that I just get paranoid of dropping it into 4th on accident. It also might be due to the fact that I bought it used, it's not the current revision and didn't come with the MGW dust boot. The factory one "fits", but might be the reason for the occasional hangup.

But it's also worth every penny. I'm sure it'll be perfect once I get used to it and some good, hard practice miles on it.

I just installed the MGW last week; better and worse in some regards than previous set ups. I have had American muscle's SR short throw, and a barton 2 post bracket previous to this set up. That was clean and secure into gear but really pronounced that 1-2 shift everyone is talking about. The mgw i have (not sure how much has changed) is amazing, and the one two lockout nut can be adjusted to line up better with the gear box. HOWEVER, i have had issues with 5th now, where as it no longer firmly locks into 5th. i have had it pop out if not pressed firmly enough. This could be because I am going from a shorter throw shifter to a almost stock length. MGW though has def been an upgrade worth keeping. I highly recommend it to anyone trying to clean up that shifter for DD use.
2014 Oxford tri-pedal 3.7L- Airaid CAI, BBK 73mm TB, MGW Shifter, DSS Driveshaft, Whiteline Bracket, BBK Shorties, Lethal O/R H-pipe with HighFlow Cats Installed, Vibrant Resonators, Pypes Axlebacks. Track Pack Wheels!
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
The nvh from my sr bracket is so bad ive been thinkin abt getting this bushing.
Quote:

Installed the $11 Prothane bushing and problems solved. Easy install by simply backing cars rear tires onto ramps then remove bracket with 10mm deep socket and extension, plus something to cut the plastic zip tie holding soft rubber bushing to bracket. New bushing has a slit in it to allow it to be placed in position without stress. Metal bracket slides back over bushing, into original place. Prior to this upgrade I had 3 out of 4 7000rpm 2nd-3rd shifts jam up, and now after 2 weeks testing, no jams. All shifts now are firm and positive. No nvh difference over stock.

For $11 shipped, I highly suggest everyone with stock bushing to give this a try.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Break In Period? Balls to the wall from day 1 brother!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
Quote:
Hey guys, So I recently bought a new 14 mustang manual v6 base and have been relatively easy on the new clutch (less than 3k RPMS and granny shifting) but I am starting to notice that going from neutral at a stop to 1st or second, the shifter slightly locks and is not as smooth/firm as going from like 3-4 or 4-5 etc. Currently the car has 580 miles on it. I notice that certain angles make it shift from neutral to 1st/2nd like butter but generally it seems rough almost equivalent to inserting a key into a lock (ratchet-like) when other gear changes are solid and one direct movement. And yes, pressing the clutch all the way down when shifting and easing into the gas. I heard the stock shifter sucks horrible but since this is my first manual & new car (had a bike for a year) I dont know if this is normal as the gearbox is setting in or maybe it's time to go back to the dealer and see whats up.

What do you guys think? And yes..going to get the full Barton Shifter by end of August
OP. There's always this option.....https://www.blowfishracing.com/drive...t-bracket.html
VTStangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

The Barton 2 post bracket does wonders. I highly recommend getting one it makes shifting much better.
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang