MT When do you shift for daily driving - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

View Poll Results: [Average] What RPM do you shift at for commuting around
1.0k-1.5k 0 0%
1.5k-2.0k 4 26.67%
2.0k-2.5k 6 40.00%
2.5k-3.0k 4 26.67%
3.0k-Balls to the wall 24/7 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MT When do you shift for daily driving

Just wondering what everyone's shifting style is on a work commute or just cruising around with no WOT intentions from a stop for best MPG on our 305 V6 6 speeds. I am going to be revamping my stock tune from 87 to 93 and when you want the power its there, but for daily driving when your not interested in flooring all the time just to get to point B, what RPM do you usually shift at?

Obviously, shifting patterns depends on traffic and how much of a rush you are in.. as well as your current tune and mods..especially exhaust lol..but in general, as if you are first at the intersection and just wanted to get moving without throttling, what do you usually shift at?

Myself maybe Im not used to my own clutch so from a stop I usually rev to 2k while letting out waiting for the engage keeping it steady around 1-1.5k before I can let off completely. From 1-2nd gear, its usually at the peak engine sound around 2-2.5 before I shift into 2nd. Thinking I might be able to shift lower in the RPM's for commuting and still keep the momentum going without the next gear kicking the car back a tad.

Note: Some have been talking about bogging forcing the engine to work harder to keep the momentum going at the speed you are at but in theory, if the engine if at 1k RPM and bogging out, are you dumping fuel just to keep the engine alive and burning MPG or is it the lowest operating speed to save on gas?
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I found that with the a/c off, shifting at 2.25k rpm allowed the trans to slide into 2nd buttery smooth. With the a/c on, I usually go to 2.75-3k rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I heard the newer compressors have a negligible effect on our RPM's. Was wondering that coming back from work today and the RPM difference in AC on/off was about 200 RPM's. but that was in performance testing where the belt become auxillary, so it could be a factor for daily driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I shift at 4k most of the time unless someone is accelerating very slow in front of me. Love to hear my exhaust crackle and pop. I still average 20 mpg and I'm never on the highway.
3.7batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7batmobile View Post
I shift at 4k most of the time unless someone is accelerating very slow in front of me. Love to hear my exhaust crackle and pop. I still average 20 mpg and I'm never on the highway.
Im getting about 20 ish and weekend highway, I must be doing something wrong if your hitting 4k generally

Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I normally shift between 2-3 under normal daily driving although sometimes if I'm skipping gears I'll shift at 3-4 to make sure it doesn't bog when skipping gears.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I usually ride 1st and 2nd out to 4k and then shift into 5th to cruise along. I don't have to stop a lot usually though. traffic keeps moving smoothly.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, I usually ride 1st and 2nd out to 4k and then shift into 5th to cruise along. I don't have to stop a lot usually though. traffic keeps moving smoothly.
Im kind of the same, Since Im still enjoying the car and trying to keep the clutch in the set in period, I max to 3-3.5k and hit 40MPH then skip from 3rd gear all the way to 6th keeping the RPM right at 1kRPM and just switching to N when I know I have to eventually stop and can coast in smoothly.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What gears do you have? My gears are really long since I have 2.73s. I usually never shift into 6th unless I'm going 60 mph or higher which I rarely ever do.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What gears do you have? My gears are really long since I have 2.73s. I usually never shift into 6th unless I'm going 60 mph or higher which I rarely ever do.
Same, 2.73 gears, I shift into 6th when I know I am going fast enough for it. 40MPH is the absolute minimum for 6th gear on these 2.73's, anything less than exact 40mph is bogging.

Initially I thought a rule of thumb is keep the shift gear with the MPH you are going example: 1st gear only within 0-10MPH, 2nd 20-29 MPH, 3rd 30-39, etc..But when you are at 30 MPH, you can easily cruise in 4th gear with about 1.2-1.7 on the tach. So going back to the mustang owners manual, 6th gear is best utilized around 50MPH + but don't quote me on the exact numbers, its definitely not the same 1:1 ratio rule of thumb I thought though.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It could possibly decrease your mpg since the engine is working harder to keep pace. I usually keep mine around 1500-1700 rpms in 5th at 50ish mph. If its flat ground I'll occasionally go to 6th but that's not very often.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It could possibly decrease your mpg since the engine is working harder to keep pace. I usually keep mine around 1500-1700 rpms in 5th at 50ish mph. If its flat ground I'll occasionally go to 6th but that's not very often.
So at your recommendation, if I'm trying to aim for cruising MPG, keep the tach around that range? Wasnt sure if bogging had anything to do with the MPG because the car is still rolling but the engine 'shows' its working less via the tach. Living in south florida, a 'hill' to us is equivalent to a speed bump lol so if 6th gear potential comes up, I usually skip from 4th and bypass 5th all together.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It takes more throttle to accelerate/keep speed up a hill when you're in 6th rather than 5th. 6th gear makes it seem like its straining to pull up a hill. I could be wrong though. I tried my best one time to baby it and get the best out of it and ended up getting about 23.5 mpg. I was shifting at 3k 1st and 2nd and slowly build speed through 3-4-5, and then shift into sixth. I'm not sure if I got better mileage from using sixth or shifting at lower rpms to gain speed.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
When I'm pulling out, I hover around 1-1.2k rpms as I'm leaving a stop. Then I'll shift right as I hit 2k rpms. If I'm not goofing around, it's good for 27mpg average with a bit of city driving, but mostly country roads. This is if I'm aiming for mileage.

If I'm not grannying, I'll shift more around 3k and usually skip 3rd and 5th at times. You've got it pretty dead on for shifting with 2.73s and gears fitting the mph range: 1st = 10mph, 2nd = 20mph and so on.

Down in Florida or other areas with flat terrain, you can hit 6th as soon as 45mph with light throttle. These engines have just enough torque to pull it off and still be efficient. I usually don't shift into 6th unless I'm up to 60mph on backroads, even then I'll downshift to 5th if I have to slow down a bit for anything. 60mph is a good threshold for momentum to carry you over low hills in 6th without issues. One slow person means having to downshift though.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
When I'm pulling out, I hover around 1-1.2k rpms as I'm leaving a stop. Then I'll shift right as I hit 2k rpms. If I'm not goofing around, it's good for 27mpg average with a bit of city driving, but mostly country roads. This is if I'm aiming for mileage.

If I'm not grannying, I'll shift more around 3k and usually skip 3rd and 5th at times. You've got it pretty dead on for shifting with 2.73s and gears fitting the mph range: 1st = 10mph, 2nd = 20mph and so on.

Down in Florida or other areas with flat terrain, you can hit 6th as soon as 45mph with light throttle. These engines have just enough torque to pull it off and still be efficient. I usually don't shift into 6th unless I'm up to 60mph on backroads, even then I'll downshift to 5th if I have to slow down a bit for anything. 60mph is a good threshold for momentum to carry you over low hills in 6th without issues. One slow person means having to downshift though.
Luckily I work about 2 miles from my apartment so MPG is negligible for me. The only time I really want to see the savings is on the highway I take every weekend to see my kid and GF (saving to buy an apartment together but money is tight on her end and I cant afford the mortgage for a 3 bedroom in Miami on my own salary) I actually would have opted for the GT because of low mileage used over year(s) owned but in my price range monthly payment wise, it was either a brand new v6 with rebates to make way for the 2015's or a 2008-2009 GT premium. Although im a huge fan of torque, getting an older car was not making sense and I thought it would be a bucket list check-off to say I had a brand new car at least one time in my life..even a mustang go figure! What I am confused about with your explanation is why even downshift if you know you have to come to a stop eventually (lets say the light just turned red about 1000ft in front of you and cars are already stacking their brakes when you can just push the clutch all the way in and coast to an easy stop and then reset to 1st when your ready for takeoff.) or even just catch the gear estimating you will be at the proper RPM) For me, I learned the concept of a manual transmission on a suzuki GS500 bike and wet clutch made 4-6k rpms from a start seem like nothing and actually saving gas. I guess I am looking for tips on habits more than anything else since a wet vs dry clutch is night and day.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Oh, I only downshift when I'm slowing down due to traffic/curves/terrain and I'm going to be accelerating back up. When coming to a stop light, I let it coast in my current gear, then put it in neutral when the rpms get near 1k. That way I get a bit of engine braking to help with wear on the pads.

On a normal vehicle, you try to engage the clutch as soon and at as low of an rpm as possible, with the least about of riding the pedal. 2-3k rpm pullouts slipping the clutch is stuff more for drag racing. You're just wearing the clutch disc for no reason if you do it all the time.

12shift - YouTube <- Me pulling out for just a quick burst of speed. Very minimal clutch slipping from a low rpm. Wish you could see the tach.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
Just wondering what everyone's shifting style is on a work commute or just cruising around with no WOT intentions from a stop for best MPG on our 305 V6 6 speeds. I am going to be revamping my stock tune from 87 to 93 and when you want the power its there, but for daily driving when your not interested in flooring all the time just to get to point B, what RPM do you usually shift at?

Obviously, shifting patterns depends on traffic and how much of a rush you are in.. as well as your current tune and mods..especially exhaust lol..but in general, as if you are first at the intersection and just wanted to get moving without throttling, what do you usually shift at?

Myself maybe Im not used to my own clutch so from a stop I usually rev to 2k while letting out waiting for the engage keeping it steady around 1-1.5k before I can let off completely. From 1-2nd gear, its usually at the peak engine sound around 2-2.5 before I shift into 2nd. Thinking I might be able to shift lower in the RPM's for commuting and still keep the momentum going without the next gear kicking the car back a tad.

Note: Some have been talking about bogging forcing the engine to work harder to keep the momentum going at the speed you are at but in theory, if the engine if at 1k RPM and bogging out, are you dumping fuel just to keep the engine alive and burning MPG or is it the lowest operating speed to save on gas?

Read your manual, theres a page that tells you the optimum shift points for best gas mileage. Its roughly around 2k rpms for each gear
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You guys would haze me if you knew my economy shift points lol. Following with interest.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Normal driving I shift around 4k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
2000-2500 normally but sometimes up to 3000. Cruise at 45 mph in 5th with tach showing around 2000. Mine is a PP with 3.31 gear.

Jeremy
Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #21

Region: Mississippi
I shift at about 2.75 for daily driving. Esp for 1st & 2nd. I usually keep the steady rpm at about 1.50.

abbottsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
MT When do you shift for daily driving

2-2200 when driving for mpg. 3-4 playing around 1600-1800 interstate 2.73

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang