Need help with my passenger side headlight - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Need help with my passenger side headlight

Hello, i am a new user need help with my passenger side headlight.

Several months ago I installed Raxiom smoked headlight from American muscle as well as the Hid Kit from Stangmods. Installation went smooth, no problems everything worked up until now. My passenger side headlight refuses to turn on, I assumed it was the bulb or the ballast. I sent both back to Stangmods, however i was informed that both were working properly. I Installed the stock h13 bulb into the oem connector from the car. I turned on the headlights and it still doesn't turn on. I checked fuses 7 and 8 in the passenger side kick panel (the headlight fuses) Both were in working condition. Im not sure why it doesn't turn on, the problem seems to be from the car not the hid or raxiom headlight. if anyone has any tips or help before i take it to an electrician i would great appreciate it. thank you
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Make sure to thoroughly check all the connections. I had an issue like this with the fog lights in my 350z. It turns out it wasnt making a good connection at the plugs. A lot of aftermarket HID kits are very low quality. Im not saying yours are, but if you search around you'll find a lot of people have issues with aftermarket HID's.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

One other thing you can do, it will be a pain but it might help...

Swap the left to the right and the right to the left. See if the problem follows it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The problem isn't the hid or the headlight, its the oem headlight connector from the car. I plugged in the stock h13 bulb into the oem headlight connector and the bulb doesn't turn on.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Wow that's weird. I don't even know what would cause that.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah im not sure, the fuses are still intact so i may just take it to an electrician.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
Hello, i am a new user need help with my passenger side headlight.

Several months ago I installed Raxiom smoked headlight from American muscle as well as the Hid Kit from Stangmods. Installation went smooth, no problems everything worked up until now. My passenger side headlight refuses to turn on, I assumed it was the bulb or the ballast. I sent both back to Stangmods, however i was informed that both were working properly. I Installed the stock h13 bulb into the oem connector from the car. I turned on the headlights and it still doesn't turn on. I checked fuses 7 and 8 in the passenger side kick panel (the headlight fuses) Both were in working condition. Im not sure why it doesn't turn on, the problem seems to be from the car not the hid or raxiom headlight. if anyone has any tips or help before i take it to an electrician i would great appreciate it. thank you
Hey Roman,

That's definitely an odd one! I was going to say swap side to side to see if it travels but it's looking like Socal beat me to the punch! If it's still persisting and you can't locate the culprit shoot me a PM with your order number and your most up to date address and I'll have them replaced for you! Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime and I'm here to help.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you Lazarus, however i don't believe the problem is the headlight housing itself. The parking light, less and Halo still comes on. I believe I'm not getting power from the oem light harness on the car. I Am going to use a Voltmeter to test the harness later and that will determine where the problem is coming from. I could have a breakage in the Harness or my headlamp switch can be out.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Check the under the hood fuse box/relay, located by the passenger side fenderwell. There are two relays: 26 and 27 used for the "high intensity headlights" that may be the culprits.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you Bucko i will defenitily take a look. I used a voltmeter and tested the Oem light harness from the car. I wasnt getting power so there might be a break in the wire or the headlight switch went out. If its the wire i will have to get it fixed at a shop.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Check the under the hood fuse box/relay, located by the passenger side fenderwell. There are two relays: 26 and 27 used for the "high intensity headlights" that may be the culprits.
Thanks! I'm not entirely sure how this slipped my mind! I know we had an employee here that was having similar issues!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I checked for those fuses under the hood, my car didnt have either of those fuses. I have an aftermarket hid kid for the raxiom headlights from stang mods. I inserted 2 10amp fuses, it still didnt work. I will most likely be taking it to an electrician if i cant find the culprit
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Have you checked the harness itself? Is it in good condition?

Also where you spliced the connector the halo into the parkinglight harness, are you using the little splice connector or an actual solder point?

Is everything grounded properly? I.E to bare metal, NOTHING with painted surfaces. There could be a short somewhere.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
I checked for those fuses under the hood, my car didnt have either of those fuses. I have an aftermarket hid kid for the raxiom headlights from stang mods. I inserted 2 10amp fuses, it still didnt work. I will most likely be taking it to an electrician if i cant find the culprit
These are relays, and not fuses. I thought your Mustang had these already. My error.

Only way to test a relay is to check for voltage at the "trigger" (post 86), voltage at the relays input (post 87), its ground (post 85), it's output when relay is energized (post 30) or to listen for a "click" if possible to detect that the relay is "triggering" when the light switch is activated.

Do you have any type of test probe or meter for checking voltage? The automotive stores sell a simple device that looks like a screwdriver; the handle is clear, and has a light bulb in it. There will be a ground wire attached to it that you clamp onto a good ground, and then take the tip of this probe and touch the pins at the socket to see if the bulb in the test probes handle lights up, indicating voltage at the pin, when the headlight switch is turned to the headlights on position. This probe is only a few bucks (under 10 dollars), so it could quickly rule out any issues with a suspected light switch, wiring to the bulb connector, or fuse/relay issues.

Trying to save you some diagnostic labor costs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang