Car is in the shop with mechanical issues- have a ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Car is in the shop with mechanical issues- have a ?

Hey guys,

Ill try and make this story short:

I was driving home from work last Thursday when my car started acting weird. I would hit the gas pedal and the car felt like it was bogging pretty bad. I would have to press the gas pedal about half way in before it stopped bogging and started accelerating. Even after it would start accelerating the car felt very weak and the rpms were jumping around a little and overall just did not feel right at all. It was making some pretty bad noises too (faint screeching noise when crusing at about 60mph would start then stop again intermittently). So after i finally got home, i removed my intake and tuned the car back to stock, it ran just as bad. I decided to take it to the dealer and see if they could find anything. After having to wait all weekend for them to look at it they finally called me today and said they cant find anything that's causing the problem. They asked if i tuned the car i told them yes but that i had removed it shortly after (not true but i wanted to give them as least amount of reasoning to void my warranty as possible). The guy said they are going to try reloading their factory tune into the car and see if that works, which will cost me $120.

Now my question: Will I be able to reload my tune back into the car after they mess with it or will the tuner not recognize the car anymore since they are retuning the ecu? I hope I don't have to pay for tunes all over again.

Also: does anybody know what might be causing my problem? bad throttle body?

Thank you guys in advance.. I am a little freaked out about all this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I know that Ford has had a problem with some of the computers they place in their cars, installing some bad computers. My wife and my dad had Ford Focuses (Foci?) from 2012 and 2013 respectively that has similar problems to what you described. They brought their cars in and it turns out they both had bad computers that needed replacing. With my wife, they said they couldn't find anything wrong and could not duplicate the problem. They rebooted the computer and gave it back to my wife, and a week later she was having the same exact problem. Took it back in and they completely replaced the computer. She hasn't had a problem since. I know Focuses and Mustangs are different, but I assume Ford would use the same computers in all their cars. I don't think you should have to pay $120 to have them reset your tune, however at this point I'm not sure how you'd prove it is a manufacturing defect versus your tune's fault. As far as your car recognizing the tune again, I don't think that should be a problem. But I am not an expert in tunes. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
I know that Ford has had a problem with some of the computers they place in their cars, installing some bad computers. My wife and my dad had Ford Focuses (Foci?) from 2012 and 2013 respectively that has similar problems to what you described. They brought their cars in and it turns out they both had bad computers that needed replacing. With my wife, they said they couldn't find anything wrong and could not duplicate the problem. They rebooted the computer and gave it back to my wife, and a week later she was having the same exact problem. Took it back in and they completely replaced the computer. She hasn't had a problem since. I know Focuses and Mustangs are different, but I assume Ford would use the same computers in all their cars. I don't think you should have to pay $120 to have them reset your tune, however at this point I'm not sure how you'd prove it is a manufacturing defect versus your tune's fault. As far as your car recognizing the tune again, I don't think that should be a problem. But I am not an expert in tunes. Hope this helps.

This actually helped me alot thank you man. The same thing seems to be happening to me. They re-installed the factory tune and now it is running good again. But since I have bought my car there seems to be a computer issue. The car can't hold a tune for more than a few days before I need to re tune it. The responsiveness is hit or miss sometimes I floor it and it accelerates very rough then the next time it will accelerate nice and smooth. Sometimes I load my tune and it acts funky like it didn't download right then I'll reinstall it again and it feels good. I've always questioned if there was something wrong with my cars computer and now I'm starting to think that might be the case. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it and leave it stock for now. Thanks again bro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have you tried the fuse 47 pull when this happens? Search it if you don't know what I'm talking about. (On my phone, or I would have linked it here for you.)

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea ive done the fuse 47 pull. Sometimes it worked for me but others it made my car run worse.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
This actually helped me alot thank you man. The same thing seems to be happening to me. They re-installed the factory tune and now it is running good again. But since I have bought my car there seems to be a computer issue. The car can't hold a tune for more than a few days before I need to re tune it. The responsiveness is hit or miss sometimes I floor it and it accelerates very rough then the next time it will accelerate nice and smooth. Sometimes I load my tune and it acts funky like it didn't download right then I'll reinstall it again and it feels good. I've always questioned if there was something wrong with my cars computer and now I'm starting to think that might be the case. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it and leave it stock for now. Thanks again bro.

Well I hope their fix took care of the problem. I would recommend driving for a week or two without re-tuning it to see if you any more problems. That way you can single out if it is the car's computer or not. If you have further problems, make sure you have done your research and can show the service dept that there is a known problem with their computers so they don't try and blame your tuning for messing up the computer (that way the warranty should cover it). I would also communicate with the company that did your tune to make sure they didn't screw up on the tune (that has been known to happen from time to time). Happy driving!

blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on keeping factory tune to see how it goes. If you retune note to see if that keeps.....I can't imagine the tune would cause it to corrupt but it's easy enough to try stock tune alone to test.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Just so you know, the dealership can easily determine if a tune is currently or has been installed in the car. These changes are stored now; they can tell if it's been tuned and returned to stock. Always best to be honest with them; if you are not, your integrity suffers. That can bite you in the butt if they suspect any mods that were done, and could hamper a warranty claim.

What tuner/tune are you using? If you are having problems with it, I'd stop installing it, contact their customer service, and get the problem corrected before using it again.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
+1 on keeping factory tune to see how it goes. If you retune note to see if that keeps.....I can't imagine the tune would cause it to corrupt but it's easy enough to try stock tune alone to test.
Yea, I'm definitely going to keep it stock for the next few weeks to make sure everything is ok. At least then if something does go wrong I can rule out the tune as being the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Just so you know, the dealership can easily determine if a tune is currently or has been installed in the car. These changes are stored now; they can tell if it's been tuned and returned to stock. Always best to be honest with them; if you are not, your integrity suffers. That can bite you in the butt if they suspect any mods that were done, and could hamper a warranty claim.

What tuner/tune are you using? If you are having problems with it, I'd stop installing it, contact their customer service, and get the problem corrected before using it again.
You are right and I tried to be as honest as I could while still covering my butt a little. I knew that he could tell it was tuned so that's why I just said yes I had tuned it at one point. He was actually really cool about it and told me that since I brought it in with everything back to stock he would take care of me. I have ran both Bama and MPT tunes but more recently have been running just my MPT tune. I am going to keep it stock for at least a few weeks so I can keep an eye on it. He said that if I notice any more problems, bring it in to him and he would cover it under warranty. I got really lucky.

He also said something to the effect that since he uploaded the factory settings my ecu wouldn't show all the tuning I did in the past anymore. Not sure if that is even possible but I'm not taking any chances tuning it again right away.

Sorry for all these long posts lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Also contact MPT and see if they can figure it out or if they want you to log it.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang