Thinking about selling my exhaust and intake? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Thinking about selling my exhaust and intake?

Im thinking about selling my borla touring axle backs and airaid intake to focus more on the apperance side of things with my car. I bought them both back in May. I would like to do more performace wise but dont want to hassle with the dealer ship on warranty work. What do yall think its worth.
ocmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Did you only buy them and not install them, and now you changed your mind? Or did you put them on and are going to take them off? If the latter, how many miles did you put on them?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It really depends. I would say the intake is 150-230 and exhaust between 4-5 hundred. Those are high and low numbers although it really depends. But quite honestly I would keep the exhaust as I doubt any dealership would give you a hard time for an axle back. The intakes up to you but its fairly easy to swap out if you ever have issues. Those are both great mods to where it adds a little to the car without going overboard.

Although it's all in what you want. I honestly think the best cars are ones with some performance along with appearance mods to make it unique. Instead of trying to go only one way or the other.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #4

I installed them both with around 2k miles on the car and now I think I have just over 6k miles on it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

I'm not to far off then. I was think $700 for everything.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I'm going to be honest, 700.00 probably won't happen. As a run of thumb when I buy some thing I expect to get half of what I paid for it. I really believe this is a reality. Try at 700.00 and see what happens, what's the worst that can happen???
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Keep the Borlas! You'll regret getting rid of them.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
No decent dealer will give you grief for an intake/axle back. Talk to them b4 you sell. As Socal said that $700 is more than I would pay. The normal used CAI is $150 and $300 for the exhaust unless the person really wants it. good luck but I wouldn't sell unless you don't want them.

oh yeah, axle back and CAI are NOT performance mods....I bought both used (where my numbers came from) and I bought them for sound only.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
No decent dealer will give you grief for an intake/axle back. Talk to them b4 you sell. As Socal said that $700 is more than I would pay. The normal used CAI is $150 and $300 for the exhaust unless the person really wants it. good luck but I wouldn't sell unless you don't want them.

oh yeah, axle back and CAI are NOT performance mods....I bought both used (where my numbers came from) and I bought them for sound only.

I hate to disagree with you but my so called "decent dealer" would fight me on this. Not so much the AB but the CAI for sure. I got a good deal on some BBK shorties so I stopped by the dealer to talk to them about it and they said it probably wouldnt be a good idea if I wanted to keep my warranty in tact...

It sucks but theres nothing I could do. Its the nearest Ford dealer with in 30 miles so I have to use them.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Socal, even the intake? Headers I would understand (don't you need a tune for them?) is it because of Cali? I ended up getting my Stang from a local small town dealer (Hammonasset Ford Madison CT) and I make it a point to get my oil filters from them and always say "hi" to my sales person...I just got a new rear axle under wtty through them after the service advisor said it would be an uphill battle to get it covered. My sales person when I talked to her said "They just have to know how to write it up....I see you here all the time I'll talk to them" sure enough I was covered.
If it is a place with low turnover the sales department can be your friend as they make $ off you when you come back in next time.

edit: I made it a point to ask about intake/exhaust and they said if it ended up being a problem I would have a chance to remove it...but as we know it ain't gonna do anything unless it falls off and the engine eats the attaching screw. I know Ford wouldn't wtty that (nor should they)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Socal, even the intake? Headers I would understand (don't you need a tune for them?) is it because of Cali? I ended up getting my Stang from a local small town dealer (Hammonasset Ford Madison CT) and I make it a point to get my oil filters from them and always say "hi" to my sales person...I just got a new rear axle under wtty through them after the service advisor said it would be an uphill battle to get it covered. My sales person when I talked to her said "They just have to know how to write it up....I see you here all the time I'll talk to them" sure enough I was covered.
If it is a place with low turnover the sales department can be your friend as they make $ off you when you come back in next time.

edit: I made it a point to ask about intake/exhaust and they said if it ended up being a problem I would have a chance to remove it...but as we know it ain't gonna do anything unless it falls off and the engine eats the attaching screw. I know Ford wouldn't wtty that (nor should they)

Let me back up a little bit.

I cant say for 100% they will give me a problem with the CAI or really anything else for that matter. I was told that modifying the engine or drive train can void the warranty. No one at the dealer will say for 100% that a mod will or wont affect the warranty. Like I said they are the only ford dealer for at least 30 miles maybe more. Ive heard stories from friends and from their friends who went there for service and were given a hassle..

My car has 3000 miles on it, for me some bolt on's, like a CAI aren't worth the risk for me right now. Bottom line, I'm pretty sure I would have to fight them on warranty work if I had mods done. I base this only on a gut feeling from talking to them and a few stories Ive heard...
Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So how much you want for your intake , I'll buy it off of you right now lol

Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Ya Ca dealerships can suck. They always deny you even the slightest when things are done. My rule of thumb: if your worried about warranty don't modify your car. Simple. Stop looking to have your cake and eat it. 90% of the time it won't happen.

On the subject of the parts. If you don't want to lose money on your intake or axel backs (regardless of how many miles you have on them. 2 or 200,000. Your lucky to get 60% what you paid.) Just keep them and after your warranty is up install them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust