Tires for 2011 v6- 17" Rims - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Region: California
Tires for 2011 v6- 17" Rims

I need new tires for my 2011 v6-automatic. It has 17" rims and the current tire is the stock 215/65/R17. Is there a wider tire that will fit the stock rims or should I stay with the same tire size that is on it now?

Thanks!
AmberC2011Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Most tire manufactuer's websites have a max wheel width they recommend putting a specific size tire on.

Example:
http://nittotire.com/passenger-tires...formance-tire/

Keep in mind, just because a tire will go on a rim, does not mean it is getting its full effective contact patch. For example, you can waste the money on a 235 or something, but since the wheel is more narrow, it will actually pull the sidewall in, which A. has a poor effect on cornering stability, and B. reduces your contact patch to not much more than a 215 anyways.

Now, that was for the sake of example. I have no experience putting tires on the stock 3.7 rims, i am merely trying to make a point: Bigger is not always better.
Another important thing to remember is tire height. Assuming you go with a size different than stock (and you are not tuned), you will need to get something the same size as stock to not effect your Speedo and/or shift schedule if you're an auto.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/tire-aspect-calc.php
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Most tire manufactuer's websites have a max wheel width they recommend putting a specific size tire on.

Example:
http://nittotire.com/passenger-tires...formance-tire/

Keep in mind, just because a tire will go on a rim, does not mean it is getting its full effective contact patch. For example, you can waste the money on a 235 or something, but since the wheel is more narrow, it will actually pull the sidewall in, which A. has a poor effect on cornering stability, and B. reduces your contact patch to not much more than a 215 anyways.

Now, that was for the sake of example. I have no experience putting tires on the stock 3.7 rims, i am merely trying to make a point: Bigger is not always better.
Another important thing to remember is tire height. Assuming you go with a size different than stock (and you are not tuned), you will need to get something the same size as stock to not effect your Speedo and/or shift schedule if you're an auto.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/tire-aspect-calc.php

So the speedo only gets affected on auto cars? Not manuals too?

2013 v6 Black Mustang,JLT CAI, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
Steven3_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven3_7 View Post
So the speedo only gets affected on auto cars? Not manuals too?

2013 v6 Black Mustang,JLT CAI, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
No, the speedo is effected on both, the shift schedule is (obviously) only effected on autos.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
225/60/17 will fit perfectly, 235/55/17 is the max.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Tires for 2011 v6- 17" Rims

I was wondering this same thing for when I get around to replacing mine. 235/60/17 are VERY close to being the same diameter, which should have hardly no affect on the speedo. I think someone else out here put that size on their rims and posted pictures a while back.

These are the ones I thought about getting. Decent price and ranked #1 in their category. Also watched the video a while back and looked good performance-wise.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2011 v6