CAI install and re-tune - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #36
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Bahh!!! My intake came in but it's my fault for being an idiot and buy some ebay knock off. The MAF sensor doesn't fit into the adapter and it has an extra nipple for an automatic. I doubt the automatic transmission has a different sized MAF sensor so that's not the issue. Point is I'm done...again. No more wasting time and money on intakes...
Woh there. Don't go judging all of air intakes off of just 1! What did you get?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Woh there. Don't go judging all of air intakes off of just 1! What did you get?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
My first intake was an Injen, similar in design to the steeda or BBK but polished and had a small cone filter. It was nice but i didnt feel a whole lot of power once i did a couple WOT pulls on the freeway and it was real boggy down low and in the mid range. then I decided to go with everyone's favorite the Airaid. Got it off someone who had it for less than 500 miles before losing their car. It was a PITA to install and gave me similar power as the Injen but a little more consistently. I don't think the heat shields really work all that well on those things cause it too would bog on me after 10-15 of driving. Mid range was little better than the Injen and I could drop into 4th and feel it a little more than the Injen. Now I was getting tunes swapped out on both and did a KAM reset every time I changed my intakes to compare.drove each a little over 3 weeks. Injen I had for 4 months Airaid for 2. Just didn't like how much low end I lost with them. Swapped it back to stock and saw a noticeable difference in low end. Top end felt flat but from a dead stop I was much happier.

Anyway, after a little over a year I have been seeing some new member adding intakes and tunes and from what they say they notice a huge improvement over just the stock intake with a tune.

So I thought I'd give it another shot (plus I miss the sound they gave off. Nice little gurgle.) I just refuse to buy new again and spend over $150 for plastic piping a filter and a hose.
__________________
“anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”
-George Carlin
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
My first intake was an Injen, similar in design to the steeda or BBK but polished and had a small cone filter. It was nice but i didnt feel a whole lot of power once i did a couple WOT pulls on the freeway and it was real boggy down low and in the mid range. then I decided to go with everyone's favorite the Airaid. Got it off someone who had it for less than 500 miles before losing their car. It was a PITA to install and gave me similar power as the Injen but a little more consistently. I don't think the heat shields really work all that well on those things cause it too would bog on me after 10-15 of driving. Mid range was little better than the Injen and I could drop into 4th and feel it a little more than the Injen. Now I was getting tunes swapped out on both and did a KAM reset every time I changed my intakes to compare.drove each a little over 3 weeks. Injen I had for 4 months Airaid for 2. Just didn't like how much low end I lost with them. Swapped it back to stock and saw a noticeable difference in low end. Top end felt flat but from a dead stop I was much happier.

Anyway, after a little over a year I have been seeing some new member adding intakes and tunes and from what they say they notice a huge improvement over just the stock intake with a tune.

So I thought I'd give it another shot (plus I miss the sound they gave off. Nice little gurgle.) I just refuse to buy new again and spend over $150 for plastic piping a filter and a hose.
Well I would imagine they would be less effective on the newer ones because of the way the curve back towards the engine. Have you tried removing the silencer off of the stock air box?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #39
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Well I would imagine they would be less effective on the newer ones because of the way the curve back towards the engine. Have you tried removing the silencer off of the stock air box?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws

This is what I did, and then added the GT sound tube thingy.

$25 for the tube + $15 for the fiberglass kit = $40 for the best of both worlds
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Well I would imagine they would be less effective on the newer ones because of the way the curve back towards the engine. Have you tried removing the silencer off of the stock air box?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
What do you mean by less effective on the newer ones?

No I did try to do a silencer delete, used old pill bottles to plug the resonators but it didn't boost the sound much or change the power. I think I will try that sound tube install. Saw a video on YouTube and I like what it did. Just gotta find d someone who has one they want to get rid of.
__________________
“anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”
-George Carlin
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
b2673ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mt Pleasant
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Bahh!!! My intake came in but it's my fault for being an idiot and buy some ebay knock off. The MAF sensor doesn't fit into the adapter and it has an extra nipple for an automatic. I doubt the automatic transmission has a different sized MAF sensor so that's not the issue. Point is I'm done...again. No more wasting time and money on intakes...
Why post this on my thread?
__________________
Kevin C.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Opps...I thought this was one of Grabber93s threads.
__________________
“anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”
-George Carlin
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAI and Bama tune install, CEL comes on slo5.0 2011-2014 Mustang GT 12 05-08-2014 11:11 AM
Is it really dangerous to install Steeda cai without tune? KevinLorenzo 2005-2010 Mustang GT 5 04-28-2014 09:16 AM
(AM CAI+TUNE) is tire size important with tune? Vaiit 2005-2010 Mustang GT 9 03-31-2014 11:13 AM
Problems with tune after install mods (CAI, TB, Plenum, etc) reboot4ever 1996-2004 Mustang GT 9 10-11-2013 02:38 PM
CAI or CAI + Tune? Shack 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 73 04-03-2013 03:20 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:26 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.