My project for the AM show - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My project for the AM show

So I spent all day getting my car ready for the AM show today, so I could just do a quick wash and fast wax the night before.... Clay bar'd, washed, waxed, shined, new plasti dip, glossifier on the dip, vinyl treatment, tire shine.... Literally everything. Anything else I should do? It's my first car show! Gotta say the mustang looks good she looks like she came off the showroom floor Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407452823.655293.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	163091

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
So I spent all day getting my car ready for the AM show today, so I could just do a quick wash and fast wax the night before.... Clay bar'd, washed, waxed, shined, new plasti dip, glossifier on the dip, vinyl treatment, tire shine.... Literally everything. Anything else I should do? It's my first car show! Gotta say the mustang looks good she looks like she came off the showroom floor Attachment 163091

Looks great! I usually put a few coats of wax on before a show just so it has the extra "pop"

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Polish...polish is your friend...wax can eventually cause issues when over used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You should use that picture for your avatar. Great pic.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Sure looks purdy.... Nothing better than a nice waxing.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! I will make it my avatar as soon as I can remember how!
I have never used polish.... I've always just waxed. What are the benefits of polish?
I used Black Magic tire spray on my plastidipped wheels and as you can see from the pic it made them shine like crazy... really glad that worked.
I love waxing my car! I love the smell of wax... lmao. That and gasoline are my two weird favorite smells.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys! I will make it my avatar as soon as I can remember how!
I have never used polish.... I've always just waxed. What are the benefits of polish?
I used Black Magic tire spray on my plastidipped wheels and as you can see from the pic it made them shine like crazy... really glad that worked.
I love waxing my car! I love the smell of wax... lmao. That and gasoline are my two weird favorite smells.
Polish is used to make your car shine, it makes the color pop. Wax is more for protection. Some polishes take out small swirls and scratches. Try some Chemical Guys Black Light with a good wax....you'll be blown away.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

There is something very intimate about waxing your car.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Polish is used to make your car shine, it makes the color pop. Wax is more for protection. Some polishes take out small swirls and scratches. Try some Chemical Guys Black Light with a good wax....you'll be blown away.
I'll order some before the AM show! My process for washing my car goes like this.
Rinse whole car
Wash whole car with soap cleaner (Mother's california gold)
rinse again
dry with microfibers
wax one section at a time, I swirl the wax on in circle motions with foam applicator, let sit for a minute, then with a microfiber buff it so the swirls are gone, then turn microfiber over and buff again so it shines (I've been using Turtle Wax Ice wax)
then I spot check for wax spots
I usually do one good coat of wax (enough so it hazes over completely), sometimes 2 if it's been more than a few weeks between each wax
If I'm in a rush I will replace the waxing steps with a speed wax spray (Lucas oil slick mist)

A friend told me I should be putting 3-5 coats of wax on everytime I wash my car... I feel like that's really over kill....
Am I doing this right? Anything else I should be doing or not doing? I'm assuming polish after I wax?
This is my first car that is truly mine so I haven't gotten into the advanced stages of detailing yet.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

First, no circular motion, that causes swirl marks. Wax the direction that the wind blows over the car, straight lines. 3-5 coats is way to much. Two good coats twice a year is good. Then every once in a while you can throw another coat on. Carnuba wax breaks down at about 140 degrees and synthetic around 300 degrees. I prefer Carnuba. Always use a good quality wax.

Go to YouTube and search for Chemical Guys. They have a ton of videos...watch them. Trust me it's worth it.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Oh yeah one more thing...polish first then wax. Wax is always the final step.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
First, no circular motion, that causes swirl marks. Wax the direction that the wind blows over the car, straight lines. 3-5 coats is way to much. Two good coats twice a year is good. Then every once in a while you can throw another coat on. Carnuba wax breaks down at about 140 degrees and synthetic around 300 degrees. I prefer Carnuba. Always use a good quality wax.

Go to YouTube and search for Chemical Guys. They have a ton of videos...watch them. Trust me it's worth it.
Oops. I've been waxing about once a month March-October..... I've been using the speed wax primarily and using the real wax once every 3-4 months. I actually started doing side to side today, a lot easier and it worked better. Will over waxing hurt my car's paint since I only clay bar twice a year? (once in May, once in October before it gets real cold). I just really enjoy waxing my car LOL, it's nice to take a few hours on a nice day and have a few beers, listen to some music, and put some awesome smelling wax on, really helps me unwind.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

I'm with you I like waxing too. It won't hurt any thing but it really won't help either. I find it relaxing and therapeutic. If you're going to do it that much make sure you're using quality stuff. Make sure to get yourself some super soft micro fiber towels, 16x16 is a good size.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oops. I've been waxing about once a month March-October..... I've been using the speed wax primarily and using the real wax once every 3-4 months. I actually started doing side to side today, a lot easier and it worked better. Will over waxing hurt my car's paint since I only clay bar twice a year? (once in May, once in October before it gets real cold). I just really enjoy waxing my car LOL, it's nice to take a few hours on a nice day and have a few beers, listen to some music, and put some awesome smelling wax on, really helps me unwind.

Well you're getting a workout alright. Every month... that's pretty crazy. Plus your friend said 3-5 coats! (Though you knew that was crazy.) Man, if you did that your car would be encased in a half-inch shell of wax. You would do the name "turtle wax" proud.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Well you're getting a workout alright. Every month... that's pretty crazy. Plus your friend said 3-5 coats! (Though you knew that was crazy.) Man, if you did that your car would be encased in a half-inch shell of wax. You would do the name "turtle wax" proud.
Yeah it really can be a work out. I knew 3-5 times couldn't be right... it would take 6+ hours!!! I only do 1 solid coat or sometimes 2 if it doesn't look right, then spot check.
I got a huge pack of 60 big microfibers from Costco the other day for $9.99 ... I love Costco.
LOL a half-inch shell of wax would at least protect my car from rocks... my poor front bumper has a bunch of little chips.... stupid NY... the potholes and roads were horrible this winter.... nothing I can do about it, can't wait for my front end conversion this winter however.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

A little off topic, but recently I saw another grabber blue mustang in my area. He pulled up next to me the other week and I burned him badly off the line LOL. I saw him parked today.... and.... HE COPIED MY HOOD STRIPES. LITERALLY GOT THE SAME EXACT ONES DONE. I am so mad. I guess it is kind of flattering that he copied me, but still.... It's MY car... don't want 2 GB mustangs in the same area with the same hood stripes.... really not cool move by him.....
Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A little off topic, but recently I saw another grabber blue mustang in my area. He pulled up next to me the other week and I burned him badly off the line LOL. I saw him parked today.... and.... HE COPIED MY HOOD STRIPES. LITERALLY GOT THE SAME EXACT ONES DONE. I am so mad. I guess it is kind of flattering that he copied me, but still.... It's MY car... don't want 2 GB mustangs in the same area with the same hood stripes.... really not cool move by him.....

What a d.b. Get your own ideas.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Polish...polish is your friend...wax can eventually cause issues when over used.
Actually, polish can cause issues if over used. Polish takes off minuscule amounts of clear coat whereas wax, when applied properly, doesn't remove any.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
Actually, polish can cause issues if over used. Polish takes off minuscule amounts of clear coat whereas wax, when applied properly, doesn't remove any.

This is very true. Most polishes have a very fine abrasive in it to remove imperfections. The Blacklight from CG doesnt use any abrasives.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is very true. Most polishes have a very fine abrasive in it to remove imperfections. The Blacklight from CG doesnt use any abrasives.

I've always wanted to try Blacklight but have had problems with color tinted waxes before. Have you used it yet? As of now, I use wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0 for its ruggedness and after 24 hours I top it with 2-3 coats of meguiars gold class. I actually just ordered a new bottle of community 845, which will take place of the gold class.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I've always wanted to try Blacklight but have had problems with color tinted waxes before. Have you used it yet? As of now, I use wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0 for its ruggedness and after 24 hours I top it with 2-3 coats of meguiars gold class. I actually just ordered a new bottle of community 845, which will take place of the gold class.

I used it this past weekend. My wife has a 2014 Fusion in Tuxedo Black. I gave it the full treatment....wash, clay, wash, Black Light and topped it off with Petes 53 paste wax. It is beautiful, the shine is crazy. I highly recommend this stuff. Its good on any color car.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I used it this past weekend. My wife has a 2014 Fusion in Tuxedo Black. I gave it the full treatment....wash, clay, wash, Black Light and topped it off with Petes 53 paste wax. It is beautiful, the shine is crazy. I highly recommend this stuff. Its good on any color car.
How was the application and removal? From the pictures, it looks like Blacklight is more of a gel/liquid than a paste wax. Does this mean it is easy to apply and remove?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
How was the application and removal? From the pictures, it looks like Blacklight is more of a gel/liquid than a paste wax. Does this mean it is easy to apply and remove?
Yes it more of a liquid. Easy on and easy off. Also, little to no dust. It really is a great product.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes it more of a liquid. Easy on and easy off. Also, little to no dust. It really is a great product.

I guess after I finish the Collinite, I'll buy a container of Blacklight and try it out. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I guess after I finish the Collinite, I'll buy a container of Blacklight and try it out. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, no problem.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Wet Obsession is good wax as well. A bit expensive but worth every penny.

Wet Obsession

Give it a try, you will be amazed with the results.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb427r View Post
Wet Obsession is good wax as well. A bit expensive but worth every penny.

Wet Obsession

Give it a try, you will be amazed with the results.

Hmm, I've never heard of it. I'm going to do some research and might that out too.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Any tips on cleaning vinyl hood stripes?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Meeting up place for the AM show

This is about fifteen minutes from the Raceway. Meeting up at 8:am to drive in together so all the M.E forum members can park together.
The address is

Holiday Inn at 6170 Morgantown Road 19543

Meeting up time is at 8AM and leave for the event at 8:30
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any tips on cleaning vinyl hood stripes?
I don't have much experience with stripes but i have cleaned other vinyl. Usually i use a boars hair brush and a trim detailer that's safe for plastic, rubber, or vinyl. Are yours just dirty or are they yellowing?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Clean as f!! Good job!
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thank u I am getting really excited for the AM show

Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
That's what polishing is meant to do...

Any abrasive at ALL will remove small mils of clearcoat. It's what it's designed to do. Swirls, scratches, imperfections are caused by irregularities in the coat. For example, swirls are small gouges in the coat, and you must then polish the surrounding to level that coat in that area.

The reason you see the swirls so visibly is the light refracts off the grooves it leaves behind and scatters the light. When you have a clean paint job, it reflects and bounces off in one direction.

Waxes do NOT get rid of swirls, they simply fill in the grooves left behind by swirls.

All that being said, you have to polish A LOT to burn through clearcoat to the point where you would have issues, or use a rotary improperly (rotary, not a dual action polisher. I wouldn't recommend a Rotary to be used by anyone who doesn't know what they're doing).
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang