2.73s get a bad rap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
2.73s get a bad rap

The 2.73s get a bad rap. My car doesnt run to bad with them. Heres a video of a first gear roll then shift to second. Ran up on traffic so had to stop. Sr performance springs, j&m panhard bar, barton bracket and faux gt500 mufflers only mods

3.7 mustang 2.73 manual - YouTube
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have 273s. Easy to bog in first with air con on. Reverse on a hill is a joke! I have to reverse up a hill from my garage to the street. I have to either slip the clutch the whole way or fly up the drive like a loonatic! 273 is too tall. I really wish I had got the 331. But now I have an excuse to get 355's!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

2013 mustang convertible. Impact blue. Stripe delete. Pony package. Bone stock.
mpachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
The 2.73's aren't bad when you're moving. Drop it in second or third and take off like a bat outta hell.

From a stand still is where they show their weakness.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Did you try with the advance Trac turned off. My car will bog inbetween shifts with it on. I can smoke these stock 17s from a dead stop and chirp 2nd and 3rd. Its been hard trying to decide on a gear swap for a 98% daily driver.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I couldn't stand my 2.73s, they were way to tall. IMO they should never had been standard in the base mustang. I would have like to have seen 3.31s standard and an optional 3.55s or 3.73s in the performance package. My first reaction when I test drove one was where the hell is the advertised 305hp, this thing blows off the line. Now with 3.73s its a beast!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I belive the 3.15 would be a perfect interstate cruising gear
Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I couldn't stand my 2.73s, they were way to tall. IMO they should never had been standard in the base mustang. I would have like to have seen 3.31s standard and an optional 3.55s or 3.73s in the performance package. My first reaction when I test drove one was where the hell is the advertised 305hp, this thing blows off the line. Now with 3.73s its a beast!

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
I think ive asked you before, but what rpms are you turning at 75mph
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Did you try with the advance Trac turned off. My car will bog inbetween shifts with it on. I can smoke these stock 17s from a dead stop and chirp 2nd and 3rd. Its been hard trying to decide on a gear swap for a 98% daily driver.

No I haven't. I'll have to try that.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would have been happier with 3.15s over the 2.73s I had, they were just so bad off the line.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think ive asked you before, but what rpms are you turning at 75mph
If I had to ball park it, because I can't say for sure, but around 2300. I have a manual.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
If I had to ball park it, because I can't say for sure, but around 2300. I have a manual.

Not bad, I might have to look into them
Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I can burn the tires off all the way through 2nd gear in my PP. I've even done this without turning off advance trac.

Jeremy
Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
I can burn the tires off all the way through 2nd gear in my PP. I've even done this without turning off advance trac.

Jeremy
2.73s??
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Can you tell me how to turn Advance Trac off? I'd like to give it a try.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Can you tell me how to turn Advance Trac off? I'd like to give it a try.
With your car running in neutral (manual) press the brake and hold it and then push and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds until the adavance trac off message appears in the message center. The traction control light stays on is the only issue. You will have to do this every time the key is turned off. It automatically defaults back on.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
With your car running in neutral (manual) press the brake and hold it and then push and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds until the adavance trac off message appears in the message center. The traction control light stays on is the only issue. You will have to do this every time the key is turned off. It automatically defaults back on.
I have an automatic, will this still work for my car?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 08-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure
Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Not sure
Fair enough, I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and see what happens. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it
Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Not sure
Yes it will
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

Yes, it will. With your foot on the brake and no throttle, press and hold the button for five seconds.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hot dang, guys, will do. This should be interesting
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Imagine it with 115 more hp and 110 more torque. Butt clenching the first time or 2. Especially when the *** end of the car moves side to side for flooring it after a turn in the rain.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Imagine it with 115 more hp and 110 more torque. Butt clenching the first time or 2. Especially when the *** end of the car moves side to side for flooring it after a turn in the rain.
Good tip, I'll keep that in mind. Sweeeeeeet
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Yes, it will. With your foot on the brake and no throttle, press and hold the button for five seconds.

Can confirm above. You don't have to go to neutral however. You can just be in drive and as grabber said press it.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
Can confirm above. You don't have to go to neutral however. You can just be in drive and as grabber said press it.
Better still
Old 08-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post

You can't be moving. You must be sitting still with foot on brake.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My 2011 3.7 came with 2:73 gears and what a freaking joke for performance purposes. They SUCKED A $$. I had 3:73 gears installed and she is a mini beast with them. No way would I go lower than 3:73 gears on our 3.7 set up. Makes a huge huge difference.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The thrid real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

There is no way to burn the tires off the line unless you do a 3k clutch dump with traction turned off if you have 2.73. The thing I hate is this......you are sitting at a light.....light turns green....you are preparing for a normal launch letting clutch out and the guy beside you in something you can beat rips it....there is nothing you can do but mash the peddle and wait until 3000 rpm before you start to feel the acceleration.....the stupid little honda already has such a jump on you he is already laughing!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it has a bit of lag with the nanny devices turned on from a dead stop, but even with a 3-5mph roll-out, it's great. With manual, you can keep it still moving a little bit about 50% of the time at the lights. With the stupid-ware turned off, it's a proper bit of fun. But it will get sideways as fast as the cars from a couple of generations ago did if you aren't careful.

The Stock V6 isn't about being a true muscle car. It's not silly fast. It won't easily smoke the tires. What it does have going for it is that it's only 3-5mpg less efficient than an econobox and only costs about 1-2K more. It's the 19K econobox with the soul of a demon

Oh - my best tank so far? 420 miles at almost 29mpg combined. Rush hour traffic.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. I just wish they had put the 331 in all the mustangs instead of trying for the EPA rating. I love my mustang....I just wish I could have found my perfect options list with the 3.31. I don't even thing they offered this gear with the convertible. When I was shopping every convertible had the 273.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I dont thing the 2.73's are bad at all but you have to remember this is a performance oriented fourm. So of course people are going to upgrade and get what is the best performing gears. But for daily driving the 2.73's aren't bad. A little slow off the line but once you get the RPM's up its a fun car to drive that still gets great MPG's on the highway. Again, I've said this many times with many different parts. There is not one best gear, it's what is best for what you use the car for.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #33
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
The 2.73s get a bad rap. My car doesnt run to bad with them. Heres a video of a first gear roll then shift to second. Ran up on traffic so had to stop. Sr performance springs, j&m panhard bar, barton bracket and faux gt500 mufflers only mods

3.7 mustang 2.73 manual - YouTube
If you think that ride you did was a blast, try it in a Mustang equipped with a 3:31, a 3:55, or higher! You'd see a huge difference!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpachal View Post
I agree. I just wish they had put the 331 in all the mustangs instead of trying for the EPA rating. I love my mustang....I just wish I could have found my perfect options list with the 3.31. I don't even thing they offered this gear with the convertible. When I was shopping every convertible had the 273.

Easy to change...under 500 bucks including parts and labor if you shop for a deal.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
2.73s??
PP comes with 3.31 gears.

Jeremy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang