2012 V6 Halogen to OEM HID conversion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2012 V6 Halogen to OEM HID conversion

I would like to install the Raxiom Chrome Projector Halo lights:
Raxiom Chrome Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo 49109 (10-12 GT, V6 with Factory HID) - Free Shipping

I also want HID lights. My 2012 V6 Premium came with halogens from the factory. However, those Raxiom halos will only fit if the car came with factory HIDs. The note on AM specifically says: "Not intended for use with vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights or Aftermarket HID Kits."

My question is: What do I need to buy to convert my OEM halogen setup to the OEM HID setup?

And if anyone thinks this is a stupid way to go about getting to my end goal, please advise on other options. My end goal is HID headlights + aggressive look. By the way, although they are really popular on this forum, I do NOT like the smoked halos.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
American muscle sells the same style headlights for those who dont have stock oem HID Lighting Raxiom Chrome Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo 49130 (10-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

Stangmods sells an HiD kit fitted perfectly for the Raxiom projectors, StangMods Raxiom HID Projector Lights Fits 2010-2012 Mustangs

I have the same set up, the hid nor headlights have given me problems and it looks very aggresive at night[COLOR="Silver"]
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
American muscle sells the same style headlights for those who dont have stock oem HID Lighting Raxiom Chrome Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo 49130 (10-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

Stangmods sells an HiD kit fitted perfectly for the Raxiom projectors, StangMods Raxiom HID Projector Lights Fits 2010-2012 Mustangs

I have the same set up, the hid nor headlights have given me problems and it looks very aggresive at night[COLOR="Silver"]
Nice - thanks, RomanG! I knew about the other Raxioms, but I didn't think it would work with aftermarket HIDs. Didn't know about that one available on StangMods. This solution will work for me I think.

But let me throw something else into the mix. Let's say I have a chance at a great deal on the Raxioms that I linked to, the ones meant for OEM HID. Anything I can do to make those work? Because the total cost MIGHT end up being cheaper, depending on how much it costs to do the OEM conversion rather than StangMods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It definitely won't be cheaper if you want to go oem. you would have to get oem bulbs, projectors, ballast and a switch in the headlight connection. Browsing around the forums I've seen people get quoted up to 2000$ from dealershipsfor a complete oem switch to HIDs. The Kit from sting mods is under 200 and works just at well, also you get a lifetime warranty. If a bulb or Ballast goes out they replace it free of charge.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2012 V6 Halogen to OEM HID conversion

Contact grabber blue1993, he Is selling a pair at a fair price if you are interested.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo345 View Post
Contact grabber blue1993, he Is selling a pair at a fair price if you are interested.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Haha, already did, that's what initiated this post and what I was talking about when I said I can get the Raxioms for cheap. But what Roman is saying is that the OEM conversion part can be $2,000, not the Raxioms. Grabber accidentally bought the Raxioms that only work with OEM HIDs.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
I would like to install the Raxiom Chrome Projector Halo lights:
Raxiom Chrome Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo 49109 (10-12 GT, V6 with Factory HID) - Free Shipping

I also want HID lights. My 2012 V6 Premium came with halogens from the factory. However, those Raxiom halos will only fit if the car came with factory HIDs. The note on AM specifically says: "Not intended for use with vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights or Aftermarket HID Kits."

My question is: What do I need to buy to convert my OEM halogen setup to the OEM HID setup?

And if anyone thinks this is a stupid way to go about getting to my end goal, please advise on other options. My end goal is HID headlights + aggressive look. By the way, although they are really popular on this forum, I do NOT like the smoked halos.
We don't recommend that you run HID's with the Raxiom headlights. However, I personally run HID's on my 2011 GT with the Raxiom Smoked Projectors. We don't recommend HID's because they're known for being temperamental or causing issues. The warranty won't be valid if the HID's were to melt the housing.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
We don't recommend that you run HID's with the Raxiom headlights. However, I personally run HID's on my 2011 GT with the Raxiom Smoked Projectors. We don't recommend HID's because they're known for being temperamental or causing issues. The warranty won't be valid if the HID's were to melt the housing.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Hi Dan. I don't understand. In the link I posted you guys put: "Application. Raxiom Chrome HID Halo Projector Headlights are designed to fit the 2010 to 2012 V6, and GT model Mustangs that are equipped with factory HID lighting." That's straight from AM. Why are you saying you don't recommend it for HIDs and that the warranty won't be valid?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Ive heard the same however i hear 55w Hid kits cause more problems, 35w kits are safe to use and haven't given me problems.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

HID's run alot hotter then halogen bulbs do. Raxiom headlights are projector style arent they? Projector style headlights are only meant for halogen the way they disperse the light around. HID's installed in a projector style headlight will have tons more glare and can even have random rainbow stars show up in the light pattern. Cops will definately pull you over if you have too much glare. 55watt Hid kits are a waste of money stick with the 35watt kits. 55watt kits are not that much brighter then 35watt kits and the 55watt only last half as long as the 35watt kits do since the bulbs burn out way quicker. When installing HID's its best to have a metal projector housing with a glass lens. On my previous car I had hid fog lights that had the correct metal projector housing with a glass lens and 6k hid bulbs. The fog lights were bright enough to where i could run those without my headlights needing to be on if i chose to. And with the headlights on you cant even tell they are on all you saw was the blue tinted hid bulbs overpowering my halogen projector headlights.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think you guys understand. I'm not trying to put projectors made for halogen ballasts in HIDs. I know that creates glare and might even get you pulled over. The link I put says these projectors are for HIDs. GrabberBlue1993 has them sitting in his garage because he doesn't have HIDs, he has halogens. I'm utterly confused how this is possible if Dan and you guys are saying you can't put those projectors on HIDs. Then what CAN you put them on??? I'm sure Grabber would love to know so that he wouldn't have $300 projectors collecting dust in his garage. What am I missing here?

Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yeah this is where I got really confused... can't I just get an HID kit (ballast, bulb, etc.) and put them into the HID head light? I don't understand why this won't work the headlights are made for HIDs... my stock bulbs and raxiom H9's don't fit. What in the world goes in them?
I have the complete Raxiom HID projector chrome halo head light kit. I need to put bulbs in. What does someone need to put in to make them work.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Raxiom headlights take H11 bulbs. Hids are fine in the Raxiom Halo headlights, they do not produce glare. It is better to get 35 watts as 55 watt hid may melt the inside housing on the headlight,
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
When they say they don't recommend HIDs in the Raxioms, they mean aftermarket/non-OEM HIDs because they are usually of a lower quality and can cause issues, such as melted/warped lenses. The OEM HIDs on the other hand are a higher quality and don't run as hot. That's why there is a set of Raxioms that is designed for the OEM HIDs, which I believe are D2S bulbs.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hey RomanG. I noticed that on the StangMods kit that you got, it says: "Single beam - low beam only". Does this mean that you don't have brights (a.k.a. hi-beam) on your car anymore?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The bulb is an H11 bulb, it is a single fillament bulb meaning there only 1 single "bulb" inside the bulb and thats the low beam bulb. There is no seperate highbeam filament. However, the raxiom headlights operate on a shutter style for highbeam and lowbeam. When your lowbeams are on, the shutter is opened halfway, and you turn on your highbeams the ****ter fully opens. With the kit you will be getting "highbeams." However its only the shutter letting out more light from the lowbeam bulb, not from a high beam bulb. So yes and no
Old 08-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The bulb is an H11 bulb, it is a single fillament bulb meaning there only 1 single "bulb" inside the bulb and thats the low beam bulb. There is no seperate highbeam filament. However, the raxiom headlights operate on a shutter style for highbeam and lowbeam. When your lowbeams are on, the shutter is opened halfway, and you turn on your highbeams the ****ter fully opens. With the kit you will be getting "highbeams." However its only the shutter letting out more light from the lowbeam bulb, not from a high beam bulb. So yes and no
Thanks. Lol reg. censoring of the word shutter. You must have made a typo there....

Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

RomanG, I think I want to go with your exact setup. Can you please post a picture and list the exact components you chose? I think temperature is the only thing you haven't mentioned yet. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
RomanG, I think I want to go with your exact setup. Can you please post a picture and list the exact components you chose? I think temperature is the only thing you haven't mentioned yet. Thanks!

This is the kit i went with personally. The kit will include absolutely everything you need; bulbs, ballast, connections ect. The bulb sizes are h11 and I went with an 8k temperature which is blue. The Hids run at 35 watts, its not hot enough to melt your housing or anything. I can post a picture tomorrow of the Hids when they are on.

StangMods Raxiom HID Projector Lights Fits 2010-2012 Mustangs
Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Just FYI, the stock HIDs Ford uses are Osrams, very high quality stuff. Osram and Philips are THE best manufacturers of HID equipment around, period. That being said, they're also very overpriced if you want aftermarket parts from them or OEM.

As for the concern over glare, these will not glare, while the projector is meant for halogens, it's still a projector, just a low-quality one. You do get a relatively clean beam. The "glare" you see from crappy kits are when people put HIDs in normal, reflector halogen housings.

The light bounces around all these reflectors and causes that bad glare and absolute garbage for usable light for the driver.

Stay away from 55w, they run too hot and will eventually warp the plastic housing. 35w is hotter than halogens but is a good medium.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
This is the kit i went with personally. The kit will include absolutely everything you need; bulbs, ballast, connections ect. The bulb sizes are h11 and I went with an 8k temperature which is blue. The Hids run at 35 watts, its not hot enough to melt your housing or anything. I can post a picture tomorrow of the Hids when they are on.

StangMods Raxiom HID Projector Lights Fits 2010-2012 Mustangs

So you're saying the bulb size needed for raxiom projectors is H11? I haven't been able to find an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
So you're saying the bulb size needed for raxiom projectors is H11? I haven't been able to find an answer.

Quote:
Raxiom headlights take H11 bulbs. Hids are fine in the Raxiom Halo headlights, they do not produce glare. It is better to get 35 watts as 55 watt hid may melt the inside housing on the headlight,
There's your answer.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes the raxiom headlights take an h9 bulb, h11 if you go with the hid kit mentioned above
Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

No. The raxiom projection headlights take H9 bulb size. The H13 bulb size is the OEM headlights. H13 bulbs are too big to fit in the raxiom projection headlights. I know this because I just installed a pair of raxiom halo smoked projection headlights on my 2011 3.7.

I also had installed a 35W 6000k HID set and originally ordered the kit with H13 bulbs. I had to get H9 bulbs to fit the Raxiom lights and now I have a pair of brand new H13 hid bulbs left and never been used.

Anyone interested in brand new replacement H13 hid bulbs, make an offer. Remember, these H13 hid bulbs will fit into your OEM headlights but not the Raxiom lights.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
No. The raxiom projection headlights take H9 bulb size. The H13 bulb size is the OEM headlights. H13 bulbs are too big to fit in the raxiom projection headlights. I know this because I just installed a pair of raxiom halo smoked projection headlights on my 2011 3.7.

I also had installed a 35W 6000k HID set and originally ordered the kit with H13 bulbs. I had to get H9 bulbs to fit the Raxiom lights and now I have a pair of brand new H13 hid bulbs left and never been used.

Anyone interested in brand new replacement H13 hid bulbs, make an offer. Remember, these H13 hid bulbs will fit into your OEM headlights but not the Raxiom lights.

I never stated they were h13
Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I never stated they were h13
I know you never said OEM headlights took H13 bulbs. Im saying H13 bulbs the factory headlights take.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The kit i listed above from Stangmods comes with an adapter. 1 end plugs into the oem h13 harness, the other end contains the h11 bulb. I have h11 bulbs and that fit perfectly fine to the raxiom projector. H9 and h11 have the same bases, they are both smaller and fit into the raxiom projector. The h13 is to large. And i know this because ive had this kit installed for quite a while. I know what im talking about.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The kit i listed above from Stangmods comes with an adapter. 1 end plugs into the oem h13 harness, the other end contains the h11 bulb. I have h11 bulbs and that fit perfectly fine to the raxiom projector. H9 and h11 have the same bases, they are both smaller and fit into the raxiom projector. The h13 is to large. And i know this because ive had this kit installed for quite a while. I know what im talking about.
I didn't know H11 bulbs are the same size as H9 bulbs.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I didn't know H11 bulbs are the same size as H9 bulbs.

The base is the same size, both fit. The difference is the connector. The h9 fits into the stock oem 3 pin connector from the headlight on the car. The h11 has a 2 pin connector, however the kit i listed above comes with an adapter; 2-3 prong, allowing the h11 hid to properly connect inside the raxiom headlight. They both have the same size base
Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ive been referring to the hid kit i listed above. If you dont want hid then the bulb is basic h9 for the raxiom headlight. The kit i listed above comes with an h11 however contains an adapter that connects to the oem headlight plug
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Ive been referring to the hid kit i listed above. If you dont want hid then the bulb is basic h9 for the raxiom headlight. The kit i listed above comes with an h11 however contains an adapter that connects to the oem headlight plug

So if I don't get the kit linked above I should get H9 bulb size?

BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So if I don't get the kit linked above I should get H9 bulb size?

Yes h9
Old 08-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes h9
Yep, what he said. Lol. H9 then.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #34

So if I'm reading this correctly my Raxiom H9 bulbs can be converted to the HID H11s?
Thunder_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
H9 and H11 'hid' bulbs are gonna be same 'if' you buy a complete hid kit. I currently have h9 hids in my H11 fog projector housing.

Also, it's better to go with h9 than H11 just because of the amount of the light they produce. They're 'supposedly' high beams, and this is what most people do who are wanting to get more light out of their stock H11 headlights.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 v6