shops to install lowering springs- long island - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
shops to install lowering springs- long island

I ordered a set of lowering springs w/ adj panhard bar today from AM and so I started calling around to find a place to install them but after making about an hour of calls I can not find one shop that will do it for under $450.

I realize this is a stretch but has anybody from long island gotten springs/ ph bar installed and can recommend a shop that is not crazy expensive? I mean one shop wanted $600 which is just utterly ridiculous, but I guess that's NY for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
I ordered a set of lowering springs w/ adj panhard bar today from AM and so I started calling around to find a place to install them but after making about an hour of calls I can not find one shop that will do it for under $450.

I realize this is a stretch but has anybody from long island gotten springs/ ph bar installed and can recommend a shop that is not crazy expensive? I mean one shop wanted $600 which is just utterly ridiculous, but I guess that's NY for ya.
I feel ya man!! Same out here where I live in Cali. The first set of lowering springs I had installed were in my 97 GT vert and I paid 800.00 for crappy Swift springs and install....thats when I learned to them myself. If you saw how easy it is you wouldn't believe it. IIRC the rears are a total of 4 bolts. I did the rears in less than 30 minutes.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea its crazy! I searched around on here and people were saying "no more than $150 for install" so I called the first shop with this in mind and when the guy said $550 I actually bursted out laughing at him lol. He was like good luck getting them done much cheaper. I guess he was right haha.

I want to install them at home but is the alignment something I can do myself? or do you need a machine to dial it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yea its crazy! I searched around on here and people were saying "no more than $150 for install" so I called the first shop with this in mind and when the guy said $550 I actually bursted out laughing at him lol. He was like good luck getting them done much cheaper. I guess he was right haha.

I want to install them at home but is the alignment something I can do myself? or do you need a machine to dial it in?

No you cant do the alignment. Put the springs in drive it over for an alignment and then use the money you saved for some other mods.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Watch this video. If you do it this way you dont even need a compressor. I do mine like this,all you need is an extra jack.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...d3&age=0&&tt=b
Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I live on LI too and the cheapest I could find for a lowering spring install was $400.... That's mainly the reason I haven't put them in yet. I am hoping to pick some up at the AM show and do them myself with a friend after... You can use a jack to put them in as stangman said above and that is the way I will be doing it, then I will install the adj. pan. and take it for an alignment.... not sure if I am going to get camber bolts... they're so cheap I figure why not but not sure if/why I need them.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have a friend mechanic who does the installation if your intrested but we live in Massachusetts probably 4 hour drive. One of the member here I helped him out and installed his headers for a good price. He doesn't charge like others do.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Granted I am in Florida But I paid $540 for UCA, LCA's, Panhard bar, Springs, Shocks Struts and that included full alignment and new Strut mount bearings(not sure that exact part but came apart when removing old struts).
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
they are easy to do, id assume half hour per corner is what you would be charged. Depending on the shops hourly rate I cant see it being any cheaper then 200. And since shops charge by the hour and most the time takes them less then they quote just wait in the lobby and when there done in an hour or so look at them and say great, I didn't think it would take 4 hours of labour, sure am glad to only pay for an hour
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank u everybody for the advise. I actually canceled the order and decided to wait a little on lowering it. I bought some anthracite grey plastidip for my wheels instead.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Thank u everybody for the advise. I actually canceled the order and decided to wait a little on lowering it. I bought some anthracite grey plastidip for my wheels instead.
Floorjack with stands and a few basic tools. You do the rear springs and panhard bar when the back off the car is lifted. Very easy to do I was more comfortable installing my springs more than removing my stock grille . Go for it put that baby in da weeds!!
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I had my Struts/Shocks/Springs done at Realspeed Automotive in Bohemia. I have those guys do all of the work I can't do/don't want to do myself. It is a little more expensive on Long Island but I have been to other shops and these guys treat my car like it's their own - and that counts for a lot in my book!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2006 GT - JLT CAI, BBK Throttle Body, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Intake Manifold, American Racing LT Headers with High Flow Cats, Borla Stinger Cat-Back, FRPP 4.10 Gears, Hurst Short Throw, Steeda Lowering Springs, Tokico D-Spec Shocks and Struts, Steeda Upper and Lower Control Arms, Steeda Front and Rear Sway Bars, Steeda End Links, Torque Box Brace, Steeda adjustable Bumpsteer, Boss Comp Front Control Arms, Steeda Shock Tower Brace, Raxiom Gen5 Style Tail Lights, Custom Tune from Realspeed - More to Come!
jhealy608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhealy608 View Post
I had my Struts/Shocks/Springs done at Realspeed Automotive in Bohemia. I have those guys do all of the work I can't do/don't want to do myself. It is a little more expensive on Long Island but I have been to other shops and these guys treat my car like it's their own - and that counts for a lot in my book!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I work right down the street from those guys! They are actually one of the shops I called. Were a little on the expensive side but I can tell they do awesome work and the guy I spoke to was super helpful and nice. If i ever need some major work done like going f/I or gears I'll definitely be going to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Floorjack with stands and a few basic tools. You do the rear springs and panhard bar when the back off the car is lifted. Very easy to do I was more comfortable installing my springs more than removing my stock grille . Go for it put that baby in da weeds!!

Doesn't sound too bad.. I definitely want her lowered soon I feel like it makes the look of the car! I like the 1.5 inch drop of the sr springs so I think I'll go with those.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yea man, I had them do my gears and some other work as well. They also custom dyno tune, I wouldn't recommend it until you're done with any performance mods, but man it makes quite a difference.
2006 GT - JLT CAI, BBK Throttle Body, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Intake Manifold, American Racing LT Headers with High Flow Cats, Borla Stinger Cat-Back, FRPP 4.10 Gears, Hurst Short Throw, Steeda Lowering Springs, Tokico D-Spec Shocks and Struts, Steeda Upper and Lower Control Arms, Steeda Front and Rear Sway Bars, Steeda End Links, Torque Box Brace, Steeda adjustable Bumpsteer, Boss Comp Front Control Arms, Steeda Shock Tower Brace, Raxiom Gen5 Style Tail Lights, Custom Tune from Realspeed - More to Come!
jhealy608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I might tackle the lowering spring install here soon. Is their a precise way of tightening all the bolts and nuts, like would I need a torque wrench?
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I recently did these myself (upstate New York) and it wasn't too bad (some of the bolts were a pain to remove though), although having a friend to help makes it far easier and not being afraid to remove the brake caliper (for 13-14 because they apparently switched the bolt orientation to put the head behind the caliper) also helps tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.STANG View Post
I might tackle the lowering spring install here soon. Is their a precise way of tightening all the bolts and nuts, like would I need a torque wrench?
Not sure if you're kidding, but if you don't want your car to fall apart it's probably a good idea.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Figured I would need them just making sure. Well what has everyone used to take the 2 strut bolts off by the rotor? Couldn't get them off with regular hand tools.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, those were a pain. I had to use an impact wrench. After taking them off the first time, they are way easier to get out later. I'm also pretty sure they are supposed to be one-time use only. (I put in the camber bolts so at least one of them on each side is different)
Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm I guess I'll need to find some I can borrow. Did you use spring compressors or put a jack under and compress that way?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I think this service manual will come in handy.

Ford Service Manuals - GROUP 04 [Suspension]

Pick front or rear suspension.
Then pick specifications.
Scroll down and there's your torques.

Good luck.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm I guess I'll need to find some I can borrow. Did you use spring compressors or put a jack under and compress that way?
Spring compressors. I replaced the shocks and struts as well. Autozone or the like usually has spring compressors you can rent for free (after a deposit that you get back when you return them).
Old 08-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Just did mine yesterday..SR springs.

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407816505281.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	163287  
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang