A few Nitrous questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A few Nitrous questions

Just have a few quick questions regarding nitrous. It seems like it'll be a fun, cost-effective way to have fun in my street driven 6 and make some good power. I have been doing a lot of research on here and from what I can tell it's looking like I should run a 100-shot bottle....
Can anyone who's run nitrous in the 3.7's chime in and tell me what's a good set up to run? And what's a good full kit that will have everything I need to run safely? A little confused on all the bottle warmers etc.
What's a reasonable price to be running a 100-shot in my car? Will I need to get it Dyno tuned or can MPT or Bama write me a tune? Just wanna be sure before I make any purchases. Thanks! Sorry if some of the questions are "noob" I've never ran nitrous before. It's not very big here on Long Island, mostly a bunch of dirt bags driving around POS JDM crap scraping the ground making fart can noises.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
This setup is what I will be going with -

This - 2011-2014 3.7L V6 Mustang Hard-line Plate System - Ford Systems - EFI Wet Nitrous Systems

and this - Brand X Stage 2 Accessory Package for 4AN Systems - Accessory Packages - Nitrous Accessories

That is everything you will need besides the nitrous, colder plugs and a tune.

As far as a tune, I have only dyno tuned my nitrous cars. I am a little leery of using a mail order tune on a 100 shot. I think it will be safe, but I feel like the tuners will need to leave a good bit on the table to stay in the Goldilocks zone of safety. I would imagine with a few data logs the tuners can get you dialed in pretty well.

The other issue is that once you spray a 100 shot, you're going to want more.

I plan on going to a 150 shot and knowing that is likely the limit. I just haven't heard much about others doing a 150 shot. So who knows.

I did a write up about nitrous a few months ago, it might be worth reading over. It's just the basic stuff - Nitrous - True Facts
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
This setup is what I will be going with -

This - 2011-2014 3.7L V6 Mustang Hard-line Plate System - Ford Systems - EFI Wet Nitrous Systems

and this - Brand X Stage 2 Accessory Package for 4AN Systems - Accessory Packages - Nitrous Accessories

That is everything you will need besides the nitrous, colder plugs and a tune.

As far as a tune, I have only dyno tuned my nitrous cars. I am a little leery of using a mail order tune on a 100 shot. I think it will be safe, but I feel like the tuners will need to leave a good bit on the table to stay in the Goldilocks zone of safety. I would imagine with a few data logs the tuners can get you dialed in pretty well.

The other issue is that once you spray a 100 shot, you're going to want more.

I plan on going to a 150 shot and knowing that is likely the limit. I just haven't heard much about others doing a 150 shot. So who knows.

I did a write up about nitrous a few months ago, it might be worth reading over. It's just the basic stuff - Nitrous - True Facts
Wow, thanks! That's amazing info. I can't wait to read through it all right now. I was actually looking at that exact kit! It will be a little over $1k for everything, and I'm guessing a dyno tune would cost me about $400? I have no idea what colder plugs are. It's looking like I can run a 100 shot for between $1500-$2000... That looks like a much better alternative than a turbo or SC for $6k+.... I know if you don't cheap out and do everything proper it's totally safe. This is looking like a much more realistic option than taking a chance on a turbo kit or spending a lot of $ on a SC.... not really a huge fan of the procharger for the 3.7.... I wonder why more people don't run nitrous.
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My God, Ish. What do you do for a living? Might I suggest teacher? Or writer for an automotive journal? You have got to be one of the most valuable contributors to this site. Your write-ups are amazing and there is never a hint of condescension when you answer questions (unlike some other knowledgeable, yet ******-y, people on here). Thanks!

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
My God, Ish. What do you do for a living? Might I suggest teacher? Or writer for an automotive journal? You have got to be one of the most valuable contributors to this site. Your write-ups are amazing and there is never a hint of condescension when you answer questions (unlike some other knowledgeable, yet ******-y, people on here). Thanks!
I'm an entrepreneur. I own a fairly successful IT/PC repair store, a pool and spa business and I am currently putting everything together to purchase a pub/bar. No time currently or in the future to pursue any teaching or writing positions.

Don't let the words on the screen fool ya. I am not a nice person .. most of the time.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ish has the best write-ups. Always posts great explanations, instead of some people who just throw complicated info. at you that THEY KNOW you don't understand. I only got into cars about 5 months ago when I did my first mod (axelback) on my mustang... I have learned so much in such a short time from the forum and people like Ish... I went from not even knowing how to change a tire to doing my own axleback installs, CAI installs, plastidip, vinyl work, headlight installs and wiring, etc. I know it's not a lot but I'm pretty proud of myself for just 5 months of time! I learned all this through a forum, no in-person instruction, that's how good some of you guys have been at explaining things. Now that I'm getting into power adders and will be full or almost full bolt-on by the end of the month, and finally getting the finances to acquire real power adders and big projects, I can't wait! I can't wait for my first car show (The AM Show) to learn even more.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wow great info ish.. I like the idea of the nitrous. For 1k +Dyno tune. That seem like a great idea and it's instant so u can get a lil head start lol. Plus I like the idea of a 150 shot going from 50-75-100-125-150 so it's not putting all that pressure on ur internals. Nice info ish thanks

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed... Ish has a very nice write up indeed!!!

I do want to stress a couple things...

1) N2O is highly addictive!!! The instant torque is crazy! As he pointed out, you will end up want to keep moving up to a bigger shot... I know I did in my 4.0... eventually popping my motor... So my advice to guys is to do a 75 or 100 HP shot and then throw away the other jets to remove the temptation!

2) Tuning... i would definitely be on the dyno the first time you spray and make sure your everything is being watched carefully!!

3) Street use... as Ish pointed out there is some legal things... it is illegal to use N20 in the majority of the states. Personally i would find N2O pretty useless around town... it is such a dramatic, instant hit that i really wouldn't want it on the city street.... That being said, yes, N2O is a very economical way to get FI on your car, but i feel it is a track only application where as the other FI options may cost more but they are much more street friendly and are available 100% of the time.

just my thoughts...

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
nitrous