Suspension for DD - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Suspension for DD

So I searched the forums and didn't find any answers for my particular question. I would like to improve the handling on my DD, but don't have any desire to lower the car or stiffen it too much. In essence, I just want a really smooth ride where I don't feel the bumps, and I'd like to handle corners without feeling anything. I was thinking a Strut Tower Brace and possibly some sway bars. I don't want to break the bank either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Note: I never go to the track, nor do I plan on going to the track. So please don't offer suggestions that relate to racing. This is solely a DD. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Then leave it alone. Most upgraded suspension is meant to stiffen the car.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Then leave it alone. Most upgraded suspension is meant to stiffen the car.
+1
Maybe a strut tower brace? That will stiffen up the car a lot though. All suspension mods will stiffen your car up....that's the point of them. That's like asking for headers and a tune but no HP gains lol.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Tires make a big difference

Get the strut bar now.
Then when you need tires get a set of Michelin Pilot sport tires. You will have a car that will ride and handle way better then the Pirelli tires you have on it now.
The Michelin's may cost a little more but they are well worth the extra $$$$.

Read the reviews to see which ones are for your needs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michel...elin-tires.jsp

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Yea there really is no way to improve handling like that and keep the same ride comfort.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Excellent! Thanks a lot for the help, and for saving my wallet.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
All I can say is better sway bars and upgraded struts springs and coils

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And u want to stiffen it a little but not to much then I say get a strut tower brace for the front and the rear

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #9

Region: Arizona
Sway bars have a minimal impact on ride quality as well.
o2bav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The SR springs from American Muscle are what I have on my DD and I feel it made it ride better

BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #11
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bav8 View Post
Sway bars have a minimal impact on ride quality as well.
The largest sway bars you can find are going ot be the closest thing to what you are after. Technically not the way to go fast on a road course (huge bars, very soft springs), but for normal street driving, it will feel 100% better steady state cornering and turn in will be much improved.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
In essence, I just want a really smooth ride where I don't feel the bumps, and I'd like to handle corners without feeling anything.
I hate to say it, but sports cars are not known for their luxurious ride to begin with. My Chrysler 300 was like piloting a boat on the road - smooth sailing over every crack, bump and pothole. BUT, it handled like a boat too. I went through 3 sets of tires during the 60k+ miles I put on that car. I would say, daily driver or not, enhance what the car is made for (speed, handling, looks, etc), don't try to enhance aspects that it never had much of to begin with otherwise you might be disappointed - and lets face it, these things cost too much to invest in something your not going to be 100% happy with IMO.
Stealth 3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
In essence, I just want a really smooth ride where I don't feel the bumps, and I'd like to handle corners without feeling anything. ... Note: I never go to the track, nor do I plan on going to the track. So please don't offer suggestions that relate to racing. This is solely a DD. Thanks!
I have just the tip for you. Look into tires to get that supple ride you want. This will make a huge impact, trust me. 99% of the active members of the forum are going not going to like my advice, because most people here are trying to maximize performance. But if luxurious ride is what you care about, get some Michelins. I put the same energy saver tires on my Mustang for the winter that comes with my parents' Fusion hybrid. The reduction in road noise is DRAMATIC. Like... half. So you can hear your exhaust note better too (the good noise). The ride is much more supple. And it handles in the rain/snow very well. When I get home tonight I'll tell you the exact the model, can't remember.

And if you get a street tune you can still enjoy the get-up-and-go of your Mustang, even with those tires. You're not going to be able to drive at 130 mpg and you'll add tenths of seconds on your 1/4-mile, but you're never gonna do that, so who cares?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 3.7 View Post
I hate to say it, but sports cars are not known for their luxurious ride to begin with. My Chrysler 300 was like piloting a boat on the road - smooth sailing over every crack, bump and pothole. BUT, it handled like a boat too. I went through 3 sets of tires during the 60k+ miles I put on that car. I would say, daily driver or not, enhance what the car is made for (speed, handling, looks, etc), don't try to enhance aspects that it never had much of to begin with otherwise you might be disappointed - and lets face it, these things cost too much to invest in something your not going to be 100% happy with IMO.

You have an excellent point. I never thought about the fact that performance and smooth don't really go together. You cath have it both ways right?

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
I have just the tip for you. Look into tires to get that supple ride you want. This will make a huge impact, trust me. 99% of the active members of the forum are going not going to like my advice, because most people here are trying to maximize performance. But if luxurious ride is what you care about, get some Michelins. I put the same energy saver tires on my Mustang for the winter that comes with my parents' Fusion hybrid. The reduction in road noise is DRAMATIC. Like... half. So you can hear your exhaust note better too (the good noise). The ride is much more supple. And it handles in the rain/snow very well. When I get home tonight I'll tell you the exact the model, can't remember.

And if you get a street tune you can still enjoy the get-up-and-go of your Mustang, even with those tires. You're not going to be able to drive at 130 mpg and you'll add tenths of seconds on your 1/4-mile, but you're never gonna do that, so who cares?

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely take it to heart.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang