New headlight questions before buying? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
New headlight questions before buying?

I'm looking for better light output and mainly to convert to an HID setup if possible. With the front of my car, idk if I want to go with the smoked or clear. The clear will give better lighting, but that's a lot of chrome. But the black may look better, yet sacrifices light output. I'm not sure. Also, I'm getting clear raxiom halo hid fog lights. I have the drl feature on my car. Can I splice the lights so that when I put the car in gear, it'll run the halo light instead of the main headlight??? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407730661.374652.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	714.4 KB
ID:	163217

The original... Boss 227!
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I thought the Raxiom heaights weren't compatible with DRls??
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you want a set of Raxiom Halo HID's super super cheap let me know!
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I'm looking for better light output and mainly to convert to an HID setup if possible. With the front of my car, idk if I want to go with the smoked or clear. The clear will give better lighting, but that's a lot of chrome. But the black may look better, yet sacrifices light output. I'm not sure. Also, I'm getting clear raxiom halo hid fog lights. I have the drl feature on my car. Can I splice the lights so that when I put the car in gear, it'll run the halo light instead of the main headlight??? Attachment 163217

Did it all except the foglights. Some things I've learned in the process:

1) If you're going with the Raxioms and putting in HIDs: It technically voids the warranty, they're not made for them. They DO have a projector, but it's made for Halogens. You MUST use 35w, 55w runs too hot and eventually you will warp or melt the housing.

Make sure you buy a QUALITY kit. None of this Amazon or eBay crap. I learned that the hard way lol. I bought my full Morimoto kit from retrofitsource.com for $175 including the relay harness, bulbs, ballasts and wiring. No complaints whatsoever.

2) The headlights use an H9 connector, your stock headlights are H13, this is important. With the Morimoto kit I ordered an H9 kit and the relay ended up plugging up perfectly.

3) Inspect the seals on the headlights when you get them. I had a lot of fogging issues due to a bad seal. If you find one, seal the whole seam with heat resistant silicone.

4) If you get the smoked lenses like I have, your output will suffer. With the HIDs it's not TOO terrible but it's not great.

5) Make sure you calibrate them properly and take your time to get the cut-off correct.

6) As for the Halos, I spliced them into my parking lights. It turns them on when I have my parking lights on or when my headlights are on. If you have DRLs, you just need to find the correct wire to splice into and you should be good. I don't have those so I couldn't tell you. Make SURE you solder. Don't waste time and headaches with those crap splice clips.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Did it all except the foglights. Some things I've learned in the process:

1) If you're going with the Raxioms and putting in HIDs: It technically voids the warranty, they're not made for them. They DO have a projector, but it's made for Halogens. You MUST use 35w, 55w runs too hot and eventually you will warp or melt the housing.

Make sure you buy a QUALITY kit. None of this Amazon or eBay crap. I learned that the hard way lol. I bought my full Morimoto kit from retrofitsource.com for $175 including the relay harness, bulbs, ballasts and wiring. No complaints whatsoever.

2) The headlights use an H9 connector, your stock headlights are H13, this is important. With the Morimoto kit I ordered an H9 kit and the relay ended up plugging up perfectly.

3) Inspect the seals on the headlights when you get them. I had a lot of fogging issues due to a bad seal. If you find one, seal the whole seam with heat resistant silicone.

4) If you get the smoked lenses like I have, your output will suffer. With the HIDs it's not TOO terrible but it's not great.

5) Make sure you calibrate them properly and take your time to get the cut-off correct.

6) As for the Halos, I spliced them into my parking lights. It turns them on when I have my parking lights on or when my headlights are on. If you have DRLs, you just need to find the correct wire to splice into and you should be good. I don't have those so I couldn't tell you. Make SURE you solder. Don't waste time and headaches with those crap splice clips.

So should one order the ones with the factory HID option or the regular ones. There is no specific wire from my understanding. Just when you put the car into drive, it turns the headlights on. So I was wondering... Could I just use that to turn the halo on and run the halo instead of burning the hid bulbs 24/7

Old 08-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes you can that's what I did when I had mine in only the halo projector was on

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I thought the Raxiom heaights weren't compatible with DRls??

Few people on am and in the cyclone national group have done this apparently. You either lose them, which would be nice...or it's because it supplies constant power to the bulbs. Hid is an all power or no basis. 6v is what's for the drl to operate. And it needs 12... So it may flicker but so far everyone has had no problems.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I thought all of Raxiom's smoked lights were just a black housing with a clear lens? Sure did seem like it when I had their smoked halo head lights and fogs on my 06.

I think you're overthinking this. Even if the smoked lights are slightly tinted (it'd have to be a tiny amount), I don't think it would significantly affect light output.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
You could always find a set of used chrome Raxioms, pop 'em open and paint all the chrome black. Wam bam, you've got the blacked out look, but retain a clear lens
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have chrome raxiom HIDs super cheap for sale.... Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I'm looking for better light output and mainly to convert to an HID setup if possible. With the front of my car, idk if I want to go with the smoked or clear. The clear will give better lighting, but that's a lot of chrome. But the black may look better, yet sacrifices light output. I'm not sure. Also, I'm getting clear raxiom halo hid fog lights. I have the drl feature on my car. Can I splice the lights so that when I put the car in gear, it'll run the halo light instead of the main headlight??? Attachment 163217
Hey,

Looks like I'm a little late to the punch here and you've gotten some solid info! If there's anything I can help out with let me know or shoot me a PM, I'm always here to help out!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey,

Looks like I'm a little late to the punch here and you've gotten some solid info! If there's anything I can help out with let me know or shoot me a PM, I'm always here to help out!

Alex
Hi Alex,

I asked a very similar as the OP last week, and although Dan gave a response, it didn't answer my question and that question is still unresolved. Can you please take a look at the thread and advise? Thanks!
2012 V6 Halogen to OEM HID conversion

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sve has the clear lens, yet black housing!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407769090.436023.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	163227

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sve has the clear lens, yet black housing!Attachment 163227

Those look cool. But are they compatible with aftermarket HID kits, or just for halogens?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Those look cool. But are they compatible with aftermarket HID kits, or just for halogens?

I think if you go aftermaket, it would be because you have halogen. So I assuming yes? And even factory I suppose. I'll be buying these and getting a stangmod hid kit

Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think if you go aftermaket, it would be because you have halogen. So I assuming yes? And even factory I suppose. I'll be buying these and getting a stangmod hid kit

Oh no, I don't think so. There are different halo projector sets, those meant for halogen bulbs/ballasts, those meant for HID. If you use HID on the projectors meant for halogen, you can burn the projector, which is why AM voids the warranty if you mix them. That's why grabber has those projectors sitting in his garage that he can't use, he accidentally bought the HID kind even though he has stock halogen lights.

It's confusing as heck, I'm wanting to do the exact same thing as you (I have a 2012 v6 with factory halogen) but I haven't gotten a straight answer on what I need to buy to do the conversion. One second, I'll copy one of the answers I got on my post from last week that made sense.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Here you go. This is what the use RomanG said on my thread:

American muscle sells the same style headlights for those who dont have stock oem HID Lighting Raxiom Chrome Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo 49130 (10-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

Stangmods sells an HiD kit fitted perfectly for the Raxiom projectors, StangMods Raxiom HID Projector Lights Fits 2010-2012 Mustangs

I have the same set up, the hid nor headlights have given me problems and it looks very aggresive at night[COLOR="Silver"]

Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

New headlight questions before buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Here you go. This is what the use RomanG said on my thread:

American muscle sells the same style headlights for those who dont have stock oem HID Lighting Raxiom Chrome Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo 49130 (10-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

Stangmods sells an HiD kit fitted perfectly for the Raxiom projectors, StangMods Raxiom HID Projector Lights Fits 2010-2012 Mustangs

I have the same set up, the hid nor headlights have given me problems and it looks very aggresive at night[COLOR="Silver"]

So I'll need the non hid because I don't have oem hid. I believe if you go higher than a 55w kit, you'll burn it. I'm debating 35 or 55 and what color temp. 5 or 6. I want a crisp white

The original... Boss 227
Old 08-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I'll need the non hid because I don't have oem hid. I believe if you go higher than a 55w kit, you'll burn it. I'm debating 35 or 55 and what color temp. 5 or 6. I want a crisp white

The original... Boss 227
Correct. That is my understanding. If you get the Raxiom halos meant for halogens, and this HID set from StangMods, you should be all set: StangMods Raxiom HID Projector Lights Fits 2010-2012 Mustangs

I think that's what I'm going to do. Those are 35W. On the other thread multiple people said that 55W kits are a waste of money. Not much brighter and burn out faster.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The original... Boss 227
I'll warn you. Do not go 55w. Runs too hot. May not do it right away, but it WILL warp the housings eventually for those headlights that are not meant for HIDs. 35w is a good medium.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The original... Boss 227
Just do what will (guy at McClary dealership) suggested,
With new wiring (to completely bypass the smart junction box)
Or something along the lines of that :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
35 is more than enough. 55w is killer and more prone to problems. Get your kit from HID Extra or The Retrofit Source. 5000K is pure white, 6000K is white with a hint of cyan.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
35 is more than enough. 55w is killer and more prone to problems. Get your kit from HID Extra or The Retrofit Source. 5000K is pure white, 6000K is white with a hint of cyan.
+1 here. 55w almost halves the total life of your ballasts if nothing else for a minimal brightness gain.

I went with 6000k, very slightly blue and it matched my switchback LED's blue so it came out great.

5000k is if you want a more stock 13'14 look.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Coty as said before go with a good brand hid kit. I had 2 kits (cheap) they looked cool but always had issues and lights went out all the time. I pulled them out and gave them away.
If you need any help with the installation of them bring that thing over .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

From one Boss 227 to another Boss 227 go with the Raxiom smoked halo headlights. I just installed a pair on my pony a few months ago and freaking love them. I also did research on HID kits for these headlights and installed 35W 6000k set.

Respectfully, I would caution you and NOT recommend getting 55W. Its my understanding 55W gets too hot and will cause issues with housing or melting of the wires. No issues reported of this with a 35W kit.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
From one Boss 227 to another Boss 227 go with the Raxiom smoked halo headlights. I just installed a pair on my pony a few months ago and freaking love them. I also did research on HID kits for these headlights and installed 35W 6000k set.

Respectfully, I would caution you and NOT recommend getting 55W. Its my understanding 55W gets too hot and will cause issues with housing or melting of the wires. No issues reported of this with a 35W kit.

accept your boss 227ness lol
Did you go with the stang mods hid kit?

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
accept your boss 227ness lol
Did you go with the stang mods hid kit?

The real... boss 227
Ha ha ha. I accept bro. Actually so did not go with stang mods HID kit. I went here. Im really happy with them.

http://www.xenonpro.com/

Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

BAMF baby

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407955557080.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	163392   Click image for larger version

Name:	1407955575365.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	163393  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1407955596175.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	163394   Click image for larger version

Name:	1407955611916.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	163395  

Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #29
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:

Did u buy these headlights Coty?
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang