May be time to say goodbye - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
May be time to say goodbye

Hello all. I've been pondering lately about possibly getting rid of my mustang πŸ˜”. I'm thinking about practicality purposes, resale value, and the overall fact that I don't want drive it everyday anymore. I don't have the money for another vehicle at the moment and am torn with what I should do... Any thoughts, concerns, or criticisms are welcomed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407793365.957718.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	163261

A little photo for those who may want to see it.
UB2PED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I made that mistake recently. Wanted a more practical car, better gas mileage, easier to keep looking nice (got so tired of the black car). Well, two months later I was back into a Mustang. Ended up costing me more because of the negative equity on trading in a brand new car that was two months old. Give it some serious thought before you do it, and take your time making your decision. Love my new Mustang though - even more than the 5.0 that I traded in.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What if I could snag an 01' SVT lightning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I can only speak from my personal experience. Every time I've gotten rid of one of my Mustangs, I've regretted it.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I guess that could very well spell true for me I'd presume. I've been wanting to go back to a truck, but still want performance. Guess I'll have to save for a raptor lol.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I've almost gotten rid of the stang twice...
In the end, I'm glad I didnt.
I'd be so lost without it :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
I made that mistake recently. Wanted a more practical car, better gas mileage,

Bruh! Kept the economy car and traded the mustang for a truck. I traded the wrong car. Never again will I choose gas mileage over speed, reliability, and looks. Im trading it into a dealer for a 2015 whenever they come out.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
Bruh! Kept the economy car and traded the mustang for a truck. I traded the wrong car. Never again will I choose gas mileage over speed, reliability, and looks. Im trading it into a dealer for a 2015 whenever they come out.
Awesome. You'll have to post pics of that '15 when you get it. Since 2012, I've been through six cars - on my fourth Mustang. I think I'm finally done.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I went from a mustang to an accord back to my current 13 mustang. Think about it real hard. But I understand your thought process. Good luck with whatever route you take. Your stang is a beauty btw.

2013 v6 Black Mustang,JLT CAI, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
Steven3_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You have a 3.7L, consider for a moment the fuel efficiency is almost on-par with a lot of Economy cars out there. Provided you keep your foot out of the gas.

As far as a Lightning, that would be completely opposite of what you said you wanted to do. Those things drink fuel like a fat kid on cake.

Plus in bad weather, since they aren't 4x4, that torque will have you sliding everywhere.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A 2014 V6 with stock gears, rims, and so on is still a Mustang.

My best tank to date was 28.8 mpg in Los Angeles traffic. The best I ever got out of a tiny econobox in my life was 31mpg (same traffic, real-world city/highway driving, with a manual as well). It's not a V8. So what. It still looks great, drives great, and gets econobox mpg. Manual and rear wheel drive just adds to the fun. All for 18-19K after incentives and rebates.

Go ahead. Get an econobox. It'll end in tears. It always does.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
Awesome. You'll have to post pics of that '15 when you get it. Since 2012, I've been through six cars - on my fourth Mustang. I think I'm finally done.
How does someone go through 6 different cars in a 2 year period and out of that 4 mustangs. Lol

Sent from my naked Johnson. The thrid real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
How does someone go through 6 different cars in a 2 year period and out of that 4 mustangs. Lol

Maybe he works for Ford in management and gets two cars per year to lease. My dad got that for 30 years before he retired. We drove 4 Jaguar XJ6's from 1995-1999. Sure beats the discount for working at the Gap.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Multiple people here are ripping on the OP for wanting to trade in his mustang for fuel economy reasons. Read his post. Nowhere did he mention fuel economy as a reason. Heck, he's talking about maybe getting a Raptor.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Multiple people here are ripping on the OP for wanting to trade in his mustang for fuel economy reasons. Read his post. Nowhere did he mention fuel economy as a reason. Heck, he's talking about maybe getting a Raptor.

Multiple people? Can you give us some names? Pretty sure most of us are just giving our experiences after getting rid of our mustangs. The only comment that i saw is the light green mustang dude saying "go ahead trade for an econobox." And if that hurts your feelings...lol
Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
You have a 3.7L, consider for a moment the fuel efficiency is almost on-par with a lot of Economy cars out there. Provided you keep your foot out of the gas.

As far as a Lightning, that would be completely opposite of what you said you wanted to do. Those things drink fuel like a fat kid on cake.

Plus in bad weather, since they aren't 4x4, that torque will have you sliding everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
A 2014 V6 with stock gears, rims, and so on is still a Mustang.

My best tank to date was 28.8 mpg in Los Angeles traffic. The best I ever got out of a tiny econobox in my life was 31mpg (same traffic, real-world city/highway driving, with a manual as well). It's not a V8. So what. It still looks great, drives great, and gets econobox mpg. Manual and rear wheel drive just adds to the fun. All for 18-19K after incentives and rebates.

Go ahead. Get an econobox. It'll end in tears. It always does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
Multiple people? Can you give us some names? Pretty sure most of us are just giving our experiences after getting rid of our mustangs. The only comment that i saw is the light green mustang dude saying "go ahead trade for an econobox." And if that hurts your feelings...lol
There's two, which is multiple in my books. As for hurting my feelings... lol indeed. Don't know what I said that would imply MY feelings were hurt, not like I contributed to this conversation at all. Was just trying to prevent the thread from derailing from the OP's question.

Speaking of which, OP, one of the things you mentioned is resale value. Considering brand new 2014s will be getting cleared out from lots to make room for the 2015s, I would say you better hang on to what you got. The other things you are talking about, like practicality and "that you don't want to drive it everyday anymore" are totally subjective. You need to give us a little more information about your situation to advise on that... what makes it impractical for your purposes? Kids? You need to haul stuff? And why don't you want to drive it every day anymore? As an unmarried 29 year old male, a Mustang couldn't fit my needs better than any other point of my life. But that answer is going to depend person-to-person.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't think anyone is ripping on OP but the OP is asking a question that has no right or wrong answer too. If the OP wants a truck then go get a truck and get rid of the stang. The OP indicated he doesn't have a desire to drive his stang. Okay, then get rid of the stang. What is people gonna say to make the OP feel excited about this stang again?

If dude wants a truck then go get a truck and sell the stang. Its thst easy. Sell the stang and go buy a truck.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe he works for Ford in management and gets two cars per year to lease. My dad got that for 30 years before he retired. We drove 4 Jaguar XJ6's from 1995-1999. Sure beats the discount for working at the Gap.

OP, do you work for Ford?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB2PED View Post
Hello all. I've been pondering lately about possibly getting rid of my mustang ν ½νΈ”. I'm thinking about practicality purposes, resale value, and the overall fact that I don't want drive it everyday anymore. I don't have the money for another vehicle at the moment and am torn with what I should do... Any thoughts, concerns, or criticisms are welcomed. Attachment 163261

A little photo for those who may want to see it.
What the hell is "practicality purpose"?

Resale value? Well the V6 mustang does not have a good resale value.

Don't want to drive it everyday anymore? Why?

You ain't got no money for another vehicle so..........Not a good position you are in.

Sell the mustang and buy a Yugo.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

May be time to say goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post

Sell the mustang and buy a Camaro.

+1 go such fast.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OP, do you work for Ford?

I do work for Ford, but in sales. Maybe I just have the "I wants", but don't have the means of getting them. I try to keep my car in "show" condition, which is difficult due to it being my daily. I'm trying to limit the usual "wear and tear" that a daily gets. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, I'm just at a crossroads of what I should do.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB2PED View Post
I do work for Ford, but in sales. Maybe I just have the "I wants", but don't have the means of getting them. I try to keep my car in "show" condition, which is difficult due to it being my daily. I'm trying to limit the usual "wear and tear" that a daily gets. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, I'm just at a crossroads of what I should do.
It is definitely difficult to always keep a car in show quality when its someone's daily driver and miles get racked up on daily basis. Its great to want things but its not always affordable to get them. If you lost the loving feeling for your stang, then so be it.

After almost 4 years of owning my stang and I still push a little chubby every time I look at it. I absolutely love driving it, feeling the acceleration and hearing the exhaust as the car takes off.

Clearly your a person who gets board very easy with cars and looses interest quicker than many people change underwear. Lmao. Nothing wrong with that if that's your thing and how you like to roll. 6 cars in two years. Thats a different car every 6 months. Ha ha ha ha

Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Buy a really cheap used truck or other car as a second. I drove my V6 and now my GT as a Fair Weather daily driver, with my truck doing the heavy work. Yesterday's rains and today's rain means its a truck day at work

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Buy a really cheap used truck or other car as a second. I drove my V6 and now my GT as a Fair Weather daily driver, with my truck doing the heavy work. Yesterday's rains and today's rain means its a truck day at work

Art
This is exactly what I want to do. Driving a mustang in NY winters isn't exactly fun.. I get stressed out even driving her in the rain lol. I want to buy a beater truck for bad weather/ daily driving to save racking miles on the mustang. It must be hard though to get up for work and look at the mustang then a pos truck and say "ill drive the truck today." lol
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
This is exactly what I want to do. Driving a mustang in NY winters isn't exactly fun.. I get stressed out even driving her in the rain lol. I want to buy a beater truck for bad weather/ daily driving to save racking miles on the mustang. It must be hard though to get up for work and look at the mustang then a pos truck and say "ill drive the truck today." lol
I'm with you guys. My Mustang is my only car and I live in Michigan. You can imagine how that goes in winter. I never thought of myself as a truck kind of guy, but for some odd reason recently I've had a thing for really old Ford pickups. I'm talking 1970s model F-series. Man those look good. This one, for example.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2389.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	163304
Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've always loved my Mustangs and I want to constantly drive them, but I'm a bit more practical than that. So when I got to the point that I wanted to keep the mileage low on my Mustang and couldn't afford another car, I did what every smart-thinking, fast-driving, muscle-car-loving male would do.

I got married.

BAM. Instant second car!
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
I'm in the same boat as you... my mustang has not been very happy the past few winters here on LI... not to mention the roads when it rains aren't very good.... I remember about a month/month and a half back we got so much rain in a downpour I was scared to take the Mustang on the Southern state because I was scared I would drown it. I took a truck instead and at some dips and hills on the SS my mustang would have had water up to its head lights.... definitely will be purchasing a pick up in the next year or two and turbo/SC'ing the 'stang... a nice RAM1500 or F150 would be nice for NY winters
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you... my mustang has not been very happy the past few winters here on LI... not to mention the roads when it rains aren't very good.... I remember about a month/month and a half back we got so much rain in a downpour I was scared to take the Mustang on the Southern state because I was scared I would drown it. I took a truck instead and at some dips and hills on the SS my mustang would have had water up to its head lights.... definitely will be purchasing a pick up in the next year or two and turbo/SC'ing the 'stang... a nice RAM1500 or F150 would be nice for NY winters

Yea bro last winter was a rough one here on the island.. not to mention the potholes we had to deal with after. I had a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee before I bought the mustang and it was awesome in the snow. Had I not wanted extra mod money so badly for the mustang, I would have kept it lol. I definitely regret selling it now.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My mustang is a dd, live in a big city..when i first got it id clean it daily and and would cry everytime i got a stone chip.. But as time went by i just accepted that it will get dirty and i will get stone chips.. Still keep the car clean but arent as crazed about it when i first got it
youoweme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have so many rock chips on my bumper from those freakin' pot holes. It kills me but I have just accepted it... Can't wait to do my front end conversion I am finishing the rear this month!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what my wife wants to know

Well, in 2012 I traded my 05 Mustang v6 and my F-150 for a Honda Pilot for my wife (her first brand new vehicle ever - and she was 34) and I decided on something cheap and economical - a new Honda Civic. Well, that lasted for 800 miles, and then I traded the Civic for a 2010 v6 premium (grabber blue). Had that one for 5 months or so then decided that I wanted a GT. Got an 07 GT manual - black. Drove that for about 6 months and then decided that I wanted a 14 GT premium - also black. After driving that for a few months, I gave up trying to keep it looking nice. I was so sick and tired of spending a couple of hours on it only to have it looking like hell a few days later. Then, the $600 a month car payment started bothering me too. I should have just traded it in on a different color, but I decided to get something cheaper and more economical (sound familiar?), so I got a 14 Honda Accord. Really nice car, but I really missed driving a Mustang. So, I traded that for a base v6 Race Red. Just got that three weeks ago this coming up Friday. No more trading (it's actually 5 Mustangs, not 4 since 2012). I'm paying it off this month and not worrying about car payments any longer. I've wasted a lot of money since 2012, I'm done.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My advice to the OP, sell your car outright or take it to a place like Carmax and sell it to them. Hopefully you won't be upside down on the car. Then buy a beater car/truck and then save up and buy a garage queen.

If my Mustang had any sort of potential collectibility I may consider parking it and driving something else. However, my car has no chance of ever being collectible, therefore, I drive it everyday.

I just don't understand why people buy a low end version of a popular car and then won't drive it because it's hurting the resale value, mileage or whatever. It's a Mustang and not a special one at that. Drive it and enjoy it. If you don't like, get something else that you do.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Just like sakib, grabberblue and mikeygaga have said I want to get a used car/truck. It's really just to stop racking up miles on my mustang even though it's only nearly 8 months old. Honestly I wasn't even looking for a mustang to buy, I was in the market for a truck or econocar but I'm happy to say I got the mustang. I'm not worried about snow since it doesn't even snow here in south Texas haha but when it and IF it rains it sometimes gets flooded not good conditions to be driving in my mustang. The OP can look for a good used car if he doesn't want his mustang as a daily driver. Like someone else said earlier I wouldn't trade in the mustang since 2015's are on the way. Do some hard thinking, in the end it's your decision and your vehicle.
Vic14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You'll probably regret it if you do

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I am not adverse to putting miles on my 13 GT, but I don't drive it in NW Ohio winters period unless the roads are completely dry, and no salt dust on them; which means never until the spring rains wash the roads clean. I also don't drive it in the rain, unless I get caught, and when I do I power wash the underbody. I was taught that by a Boss Lady I worked for that had a Lotus with lots of miles and looked brand new. That is the point, at 250K miles I want it looking still new and not rotting underneath

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang