Moldy rain smell? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Moldy rain smell?

So my door accidentally somehow got left cracked open the other night and it rained so now my car smells like crap! Not a lot of water got in but it did get all over my door and now it smells moldy anyone know how to get rid of the smell?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Not much you can do

The best thing is to just park in the sun with the windows down or best yet, just open the trunk and both doors. The smell will go away after everything dries out. It will take a while. I see you live in Georgia so when you do this just keep an eye out that it don't rain while everything is open.
Spraying crap inside your car will make it intolerable. Don't do it.

If you can't keep things open go to Walmart and get some "DAMP_RID" to put inside of your car. It will absorb moisture. This stuff works great.

Don't feel bad, I had cars with "SUN ROOFS" and learned about how bad this smell can be. I live in Florida and know what rain can do to the inside of a car.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I wonder if you want to remove the door panel and blow/blot out any water.....also do the same for the floor/carpets.
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I don't think the water would fill the door panel

The door has drain holes.
I have been thru this and believe me when I'm telling you that nothing but a good hot sunny Georgia day and some Damp-Rid is going to get the smell out of that Mustang.
Try spraying crap and then you have smells that Never Ever go away. It is just that the carpet got wet and it will dry out eventually.
The OP is probably not the first or last person that this has happened to.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
What Ronnie said. I had a leak in my car under the dash and it just took some time out in the sun for the smell to go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The door has drain holes.

I have been thru this and believe me when I'm telling you that nothing but a good hot sunny Georgia day and some Damp-Rid is going to get the smell out of that Mustang.

Try spraying crap and then you have smells that Never Ever go away. It is just that the carpet got wet and it will dry out eventually.

The OP is probably not the first or last person that this has happened to.

Ronnie

Yep. But it wouldn't hurt to take to door panel off when leaving it out in the sun. Also check the foam pads by the door hinge. I would take the out and just let every thing dry out with the windows down as Ronnie suggest.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions guys haha today looks like a pretty good day so I'll leave the windows down it sure does rain quite a bit here though so you never know!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
yes, it has drain holes.....? are they clogged. Look at a front speaker install guide if you want to take off the panel it's easy if you find all the screwa (behind inside handle!) so ya left the door ajar???
Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
yes, it has drain holes.....? are they clogged. Look at a front speaker install guide if you want to take off the panel it's easy if you find all the screwa (behind inside handle!) so ya left the door ajar???
yeah I guess I have no idea how though I just came out to my car in the morning and my door was soaking wet on the inside but the seats and steering wheel were fine so I just must have not closed it enough
Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
During the winter my trucks rear cab had this on the carpet. Somehow snow or water got in the back drivers side. I used the sun and shop fans blowing on the carpet on the first day over freezing.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang