Ringing/jingling sound under accelleration? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Question Ringing/jingling sound under accelleration?

I've only had my car for less than 1,500 miles and so far absolutely love it. One thing that concerns me though is that under acceleration, I get this sound from the engine that I can only describe as sounding like the little bell you put on a cat's collar? Is this normal for the 3.7? Before I bought it I test drove a 5.0 and didn't remember hearing this from that ride (and what a ride!). I just traded out a Nissan Altima that had a wheezy noisy engine and was hoping I'd be getting away from that? Any ideas if I should bother talking to my dealer about this? I've already had to have them re-tint my windows twice...
Stealth 3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Do you have an auto or a manual
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Hmm... I can't think of what it would be, that's strange. Is there a cat hiding under the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 3.7 View Post
I've only had my car for less than 1,500 miles and so far absolutely love it. One thing that concerns me though is that under acceleration, I get this sound from the engine that I can only describe as sounding like the little bell you put on a cat's collar? Is this normal for the 3.7? Before I bought it I test drove a 5.0 and didn't remember hearing this from that ride (and what a ride!). I just traded out a Nissan Altima that had a wheezy noisy engine and was hoping I'd be getting away from that? Any ideas if I should bother talking to my dealer about this? I've already had to have them re-tint my windows twice...
Are you referring to pinging/knocking noise under load? -let's say while going up hill in a higher gear.

It could be a bad tank of gas, what octane fuel are you using? Try chevron/shells highest octane fuel you can get in your area (make sure you run down your tank to dry before you fill up) and see if it helps.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
+1 jingly sounds like spark knock; also can sound like frying eggs when ready to burn a piston in old school motors

It should not be spark knocking. Take a long drive and burn what you have out almost to the end of tank, then fill up with 91 or 93 from a name brand, a real name brand. If it continues go back to your dealer and have them look at the knock sensors

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
maybe bad tank of gas?

Have you seen your cat lately?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't say it was knock due to bad gas or low octane, or at least not what I have heard before. It's an auto btw. Literally it's like a jingling sound under load - very faint. I know these engines purrr, but the collar bell is a bit much for Ford to engineer into it... I read (maybe on some other forum) that someone else had the same issue and the dealer said it was the Ti-VCT??
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
OK, but when I have heard engine pinging in modern engines it literally was a cats bell like sound. If your Ti-VCT is making this noise under load, somethings very wrong with it. Take it to the dealer and see what they say.

Ok bad song here goes:
Is your engine Tinklin' are you listnin'? Cats bells are playin' are they dinglin'?
Your engines at play and its causing dismay, reving in a [somethign here] wonderland.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

LOL THAT WAS TOO FUNNY! I'm going to have to take it up there and ask (nicely) that they re-tint my entire car now since I've discovered bubbles in both side windows and my rear one - the only windows I don't see bubbles in are my side sail windows, but those have louvers so I don't see them anyway. Hopefully they won't give me the "on these cars thats normal, just give it some time..." crap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang