Air Filter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

Region: South Carolina
Air Filter

So I'm at the gym discussing my 2014 GT. I advise that I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N air filter. He identified himself as a 30 year Ford Tech and he advised me to remove it immediately. He states that the K&N filter in time will screw up the air intake analyzer and Ford will not warranty the parts due to the K&N filter. He states the K&N filter does allow more air to flow but also does not filter the way the stock filter does. Is he correct? Any opinions on this. Buy just replacing the filter with the K&N and tuning with SCT tuner I definitely feel the difference in the cars performance.
tomal154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You tuned your car, your warranty has been toast since you uploaded your first tune. No, a K&N drop-in filter won't mess your car up or change your performance at all. Everything you feel is from the tune. If you were that worried just drop your stock filter in if you bring your car in to the dealership for work. They wouldn't even check your filter. But yeah, you tuned, your warranty is toast if they check it, and they can and will find that you tuned it if they want too.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Show him this as Ford has a performace pack....

Mustang Packs - Performance Packs, Power Packs, Handling Packs, Superchargers, Mustang Parts, Fiesta Packs, Fiesta Parts - Ford Racing Performance Parts

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Intakes in general don't do anything...
The tune is where the difference comes from

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Good catch smurf stang!

To the OP:

Ask that 30 year tech why Ford will use a "hi flow filter" in their Ford racing parts, but will void your warranty if you use one.

Then post his answer here on this thread. Curious minds want to hear his answer.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if you paid them to "install" the filter then it would be ok? This just sounds crazy to me, I hope I didn't void my warranty by dropping the K&N in. Definitely let us know what his response would be to seeing that ford sells the same thing directly through their website. Very curious. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Warranties

Warranties and stuff comes down to: What damaged the problem you are experiencing only. Ford will have to prove that whatever you did, is what caused that damage. I don't see any Air Intake filter as a cause of any kind of damage. Your whole car is Warrantied, not just a part of it. If your Car Engine blows up, you are not losing your Warranty because you changed a Air Filter or changed your Stereo. If your Stereo blows up, you're not losing your Warranty because you used Cheap Oil instead of what was right. Try not to Read soo much into things.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomal154 View Post
So I'm at the gym discussing my 2014 GT. I advise that I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N air filter. He identified himself as a 30 year Ford Tech and he advised me to remove it immediately. He states that the K&N filter in time will screw up the air intake analyzer and Ford will not warranty the parts due to the K&N filter. He states the K&N filter does allow more air to flow but also does not filter the way the stock filter does. Is he correct? Any opinions on this. Buy just replacing the filter with the K&N and tuning with SCT tuner I definitely feel the difference in the cars performance.

From what he told you can happen from the K&N, I think he is referring to over oiling the filter and screwing up the air intake sensor. I like my AFE Pro Dry filter. It's non-oiled.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
From what he told you can happen from the K&N, I think he is referring to over oiling the filter and screwing up the air intake sensor. I like my AFE Pro Dry filter. It's non-oiled.

Even if you did over-oil it, provided you didn't go nutty or leave it on for an extended period of time; You might catch a DTC code, remove the MAF, clean it and voila. Done, problem solved.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Even if you did over-oil it, provided you didn't go nutty or leave it on for an extended period of time; You might catch a DTC code, remove the MAF, clean it and voila. Done, problem solved.

That's fine, but some people probably don't know that and have been bringing cars into the dealer not knowing what's wrong. Some people do things without knowing the ramifications or how to diagnose and resolve them on their own.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #11

Region: South Carolina
I want to thank everyones input about this issue and will definitly ask about the "high flow filter" thanks again.
tomal154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang