4.10 - automatic - shifting points - problem on WOT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
4.10 - automatic - shifting points - problem on WOT

Hey guys!

Doing my 0-60 run and noticed shifting points issues.

Basically:

- 1st gear up to 7000 rpm

- shifts (jerks) to 2nd and 3rd gear

The issue is somewhat similar to this >>>>> Shift issue after tune with my Auto. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

I've attached a video to show the RPM band. You can also try to hear the sound instead if the video is shaky....

It is not a continuous flow of shifting in 2nd and 3rd gear

(1st gear - ok; 2nd - problem; 3rd- problem; 4th -ok)

Just got my jon lund tune and I thought it was a tune issue. Tried it in my MPT tune but same thing happened.

Forwarded my issue with MPT and lund racing but both of them needs a data log. But SCT live link Gen II seems to be having an issue and I can't connect the device. And SCT's help line will keep you on hold for eternity!

Feedback from jon lund:

"Most likely it is an issue with having 4.10s and shift points need to be dialed in. The more aggressive gear you put in this the harder it is for the PCM to anctipate the shift."

Any thoughts on this? Is it something that I can fix myself ? Or this needs to be fixed by either MPT or lund racing? Or a dyno tune?

For now, I will be using manual on S mode for my runs...

Thanks in advance for the inputs...

(Note: it runs good on normal driving)
Attached Files
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
Hey guys!

Basically:

The issue is somewhat similar to this >>>>> Shift issue after tune with my Auto. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

I've attached a video to show the RPM band. You can also try to hear the sound instead if the video is shaky....

Just got my jon lund tune and I thought it was a tune issue. Tried it in my MPT tune but same thing happened.

Forwarded my issue with MPT and lund racing but both of them needs a data log. But SCT live link Gen II seems to be having an issue and I can't connect the device. And SCT's help line will keep you on hold for eternity!

Feedback from jon lund:

"Most likely it is an issue with having 4.10s and shift points need to be dialed in. The more aggressive gear you put in this the harder it is for the PCM to anctipate the shift."

Any thoughts on this? Is it something that I can fix myself ? Or this needs to be fixed by either MPT or lund racing? Or a dyno tune?

I know from a previous post that you had that you were going WOT as soon as you had your new 4.1 gears installed. You're not supposed to do that for AT LEAST 200-300 miles, most suggest at least 500. Going WOT over and over again on a brand new set of gears... you may have messed them up.
I'm not an expert on gears but this sounds pretty likely what happened. You can datalog and try and fix it with tunes if you want, but if that doesn't work I would def. get those gears checked out, you may have really messed them up.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That was a different issue. The problem in the previous post is the vibration which was sorted out by replacing the stock driveshaft with a 1 piece aluminum one.

If there is a problem with the gears, then the problem should occur even on normal driving which is not the case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I had the same issue in my 2011. Ken @ MPT said there were some errors in the SCT tables for my strategy code and it was an error they had encountered before. Had an updated tune attached to his reply and everything was good to go. In the logs it would show the throttle body closing causing the upshift-then downshift, even though the pedal was wide open.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks livewire! Just need to sort out SCT's livelink to get the data log. ... Once I plug the cable to the OBD port and click "COMM" in the livelink, it says "no device connected".

Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've been having the exact problem discussed in that link you posted. I have 3.55s, 91P MPT tune, steeda CAI, borla s-types and the 18" 235 tires. Now I'm worried when I go to the track again this will happen. So I might shift it manually for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Problem sorted out... got a revise tune from lund racing.

" I think it was a SCT database issue. It is horrible for 13-14 V6 PCM codes. Lots of errors."

Thanks Jon lund!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Had the exact same issue on my 2013 today at the track. Had to shift in select shift the rest of the night. What's the fix? Just ask for a revised tune or updated tune? I have mpt.
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes R.R. stang... you need to do a data log then send to MPT.

Lund racing was able to fix it with the video I sent.

Sent a video to MPT as well but not sure if they can revise the tune with the video alone.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Okay thanks! Will do soon as I get a chance. I actually ran a faster time in select shift than when I left it in drive.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I noticed as well. But it shouldn't be like that I guess. What's the point of using their tune if we are are going to use the manual shifting option....

I've asked for a revised tune with a maximized shift points (7000rpm). Let's see what the tuners will say in my request.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yea shifts fine until I go Wide open throttle. I will give them a call monday. I know of atleast 4 guys have this problem as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Got the revised tune from Jon Lund and it is better now... better than my MPT!

Best run: 5.5s on Drive! (with tire screech on 2nd gear)

Let's see how the revised tune from MPT will do... haven't received the revised one...

Perhaps it will be better once I install my 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, whiteline LCA & relocation bracket. .. hopefully a set of race star / weld racing rims + nitto NT05

(The 2nd video looks like a good run but wasn't able to click the "ok" button...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140818_234543.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	163781  
Attached Files
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

How do you like your Lund tune? Better than MPT? I really am not too impressed with MPT after driving around on it for a few weeks. I am wanting to try either AED or Lund
Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey guys!

Basically:

Feedback from jon lund:

So you are only getting 5.5 seconds with 410s? And your in Southern California?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I got 5.3 with 3.73 in texas 95 degree humid day with my mpt
Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

@grabberBlue lund racing for performance. MPT for show (ghost cam). Well, I need to try the revised tune from MPT first. That's what I feel for now.

@mustangs I'm in the middle east... Dubai, UAE. ...

Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@grabberBlue lund racing for performance. MPT for show (ghost cam). Well, I need to try the revised tune from MPT first. That's what I feel for now.

@mustangs I'm in the middle east... Dubai, UAE. ...

Oh sorry I got you mixed up with another thread. Well Dubai's elevation is at sea level. Besides the heat your car should be running good. so maybe your getting bad traction from all the sand on the roads 😂. Also those 410s must be ridiculous.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Oh sorry I got you mixed up with another thread. Well Dubai's elevation is at sea level. Besides the heat your car should be running good. so maybe your getting bad traction from all the sand on the roads 😂. Also those 410s must be ridiculous.

Plus he has 20' wheels I believe. That'll hurt him
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yah... Hot. .. Sandy if it's windy. .. and 20s. .. still thinking if I will go with 15 or 17 weldracing or racestars

Old 08-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Lund Racing is the best for 1/4 mile times and top end power. MPT is 2nd they focus more on low end power/torque with better top end power then Bama. Bama is better then stock but once you try MPT you will be like why didnt i try MPT first. Also a little trick for you guys that cant get 93 octane. I live in Cali so cant get more then 91 octane at the pump, but i use Torco High Octane Accelerator. Its a race gas concentrate so it actually raises your octane. If you have 5 gallons of gas in your tank then you mix 8oz of Torco to get +4 octane. Just google Torco Race Gas to see the graph of how much accelerator to use based on how much gas is in your tank. 5 gallons of gas is a little less than half a tank on our 11+ mustangs.

Also Lund Racing is $200 or $250 for a tune. MPT is only $75 and BAMA is 3 tunes for $99
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I have both MPT and lund. Just haven't tried the revised tune from MPT. I hope it's better as you said...

Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
How do you like your Lund tune? Better than MPT? I really am not too impressed with MPT after driving around on it for a few weeks. I am wanting to try either AED or Lund
Sorry to hear your not impressed with the MPT tune. I love my MPT tune that pulls and shifts the hardest. Its a beast of a tune. Have you done a data log with MPT yet?

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Sorry to hear your not impressed with the MPT tune. I love my MPT tune that pulls and shifts the hardest. Its a beast of a tune. Have you done a data log with MPT yet?

Yes that post was from about a week ago and I worked on some things with Ken and it's back to pulling like a beast!! Not sure what he tweaked but I reloaded it and did the relearn process but was more aggressive during it. I babied it for 75 miles the first time so it may have learned passively... I was more aggressive for only 50 miles then went WOT and it's a lot more aggressive now! Love it!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Yes that post was from about a week ago and I worked on some things with Ken and it's back to pulling like a beast!! Not sure what he tweaked but I reloaded it and did the relearn process but was more aggressive during it. I babied it for 75 miles the first time so it may have learned passively... I was more aggressive for only 50 miles then went WOT and it's a lot more aggressive now! Love it!

Excellent news. I love it too.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
Lund Racing is the best for 1/4 mile times and top end power. MPT is 2nd they focus more on low end power/torque with better top end power then Bama. Bama is better then stock but once you try MPT you will be like why didnt i try MPT first. Also a little trick for you guys that cant get 93 octane. I live in Cali so cant get more then 91 octane at the pump, but i use Torco High Octane Accelerator. Its a race gas concentrate so it actually raises your octane. If you have 5 gallons of gas in your tank then you mix 8oz of Torco to get +4 octane. Just google Torco Race Gas to see the graph of how much accelerator to use based on how much gas is in your tank. 5 gallons of gas is a little less than half a tank on our 11+ mustangs.

Also Lund Racing is $200 or $250 for a tune. MPT is only $75 and BAMA is 3 tunes for $99
How much faster do you run the 1/4 mile in using your Lund tune over your MPT tune?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang