Boss 227 Build Thread - Page 12 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #386
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Yepp that's the one! I have read pretty good things about them on svt forum.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

I couldn't think of anyone else that would have a more extensive database to tune with when it comes to a turbo 3.7 then the tuner who CFM uses. JMS must be doing something right as far as tuning CFM, they hold the record and have been tuned longer then anyone else with a turbo. And they use SCT, which the majority of owners have
That's not to say Clamphiers tuner won't have that kind of extensive database, but it takes time. Only downfall is they are using Diablo.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #387
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
I couldn't think of anyone else that would have a more extensive database to tune with when it comes to a turbo 3.7 then the tuner who CFM uses. JMS must be doing something right as far as tuning CFM, they hold the record and have been tuned longer then anyone else with a turbo. And they use SCT, which the majority of owners have
That's not to say Clamphiers tuner won't have that kind of extensive database, but it takes time. Only downfall is they are using Diablo.
You see how expensive they are?
500 per hour! Eek!

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #388
Registered Member
Regular

If you want the best you got to pay for it. If I'm dropping the kind of money on a turbo kit, I don't mind dropping money on the dyno tune. I would think since they have all the data readily available your looking at 2 hrs max. So between $500-$1k for the best tuner available for 3.7 turbo is not bad if you ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #389
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
If you want the best you got to pay for it. If I'm dropping the kind of money on a turbo kit, I don't mind dropping money on the dyno tune. I would think since they have all the data readily available your looking at 2 hrs max. So between $500-$1k for the best tuner available is not bad if you ask me.
I would tend to agree here. Pay to play. The "best" shop out here is 600-700 an hour for FI cars. I wouldn't go there because they're almost exclusively a GM fan boy shop, but still. Plus I live too close to Texas to take it to any Joe schmo out here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #390
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Well ours is 350 for a tune and the diablo is 300 so 650 total and we made 600+ hp/tq and have pushed it way farther and through way more abuse than cfm I'm sure.

We will rune whoever wants to be tuned and look at our graphs compared to everyone else. Plus never seen a graph from cfm....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #391
Registered Member
Regular

No need for the hurt feelings man. I've been a HUGE supporter of your turbo kit on these forums and others when people didn't believe in it.

Yes yours is running those numbers on the turbo kit, but for how long who knows because you pulled the stock motor. CFM has been running there turbo kit for 1 yr. + and a procharger kit previously on stock motor.
Sometimes less is more but we won't know if that's the case because you already pulled the stock motor with high hp in a short period of time. I really wished you would have left the stock motor in there at that hp till it popped or a longer period of time.

Here is one of CFM from Feb. 2013 they show the graph in the video.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #392
Registered Member
Regular

Yea but I can guarantee you they haven't had as many full throttle pulls or as many miles. Like I said earlier I've had a procharger or turbo since 6k and I have 40000 now. So that's quite awhile not the same time but I guarantee you I have more miles and more full throttle pulls

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #393
Registered Member
Regular

10 minutes out.
Wish me luck

The real... boss 227
Old 08-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #394
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
10 minutes out.
Wish me luck

The real... boss 227
God speed

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #395
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
How'd it all turn out?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #396
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno numbers! And graph

The real... boss 227
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408809274671.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	164133  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #397
Registered Member
Regular

That was on the base 10 psi setting right? Pretty good gains. There's still room for improvement by the looks of it though.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #398
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Dyno numbers! And graph

The real... boss 227
That's great bro. I'm just trying to understand this. 93 pump gas you made 406 rwhp on 10 pounds boost. A pro charger system is making that same rwhp on 8 pounds boost 93 octane. I notice your rwtq is 371. What rwtq is the procharger system making? I'm not knocking the turbo system, I'm just trying to understand why this turbo kit is a better option based on those numbers.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #399
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Looks about the same as a Procharger with a little less HP and a little more torque on 93.
E85 looks a lot better. Why is there such a big gap between the HP and TQ %? Didn't Clamphier have them almost identical? I could be wrong but if remembered right clamphs torque % to his HP was a lot closer shouldn't it be the same %?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #400
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dyno numbers! And graph

The real... boss 227

Am I reading that right, they have you at 11.2:1 AFR on E85?

I currently tune with 11.0-11.3 AFR on 93 oct on this little 4 cyl turbo project I've been messing with @ 28 psi.

I would think that with full E85 you should be around 12.0:1+ AFR

Gasoline has an AFR of 14.7:1. E85 is 9.76:1

You should be able to lean out E85 a lot more, with more timing
Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #401
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That's great bro. I'm just trying to understand this. 93 pump gas you made 406 rwhp on 10 pounds boost. A pro charger system is making that same rwhp on 8 pounds boost 93 octane. I notice your rwtq is 371. What rwtq is the procharger system making? I'm not knocking the turbo system, I'm just trying to understand why this turbo kit is a better option based on those numbers.

I don't think that's a good representation of the 10 psi setting just yet. I'm willing to bet they can squeeze a bit more out of it with fine tuning before taking the boost up.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #402
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I'm wondering the same Kona

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #403
Registered Member
Regular

Well..
You're really comparing apples to oranges..
Different dynos, different calibrations, etc.

The real... boss 227
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #404
Registered Member
Regular

If you're responding to my post about the % difference, yes the numbers won't be the same, but the % of difference between the HP and TQ should be close to what Clamphs was. Ex. He made 500 HP 500ft/lb TQ, You made 400 HP so you should be making around 400 ft/lb TQ. 20% difference. Does that make more sense? Idk I'm not good at explaining and giving examples like others (popeye, Sakib, etc.) are on here so maybe someone will pick up what I'm trying to say and explain it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #405
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
If you're responding to my post about the % difference, yes the numbers won't be the same, but the % of difference between the HP and TQ should be close to what Clamphs was. Ex. He made 500 HP 500ft/lb TQ, You made 400 HP so you should be making around 400 ft/lb TQ. 20% difference. Does that make more sense? Idk I'm not good at explaining and giving examples like others (popeye, Sakib, etc.) are on here so maybe someone will pick up what I'm trying to say and explain it.
I understand what you're saying.

The real... boss 227
Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #406
Registered Member
Regular

Its how they bring the boost in. To me, this dyno graph looks like most big turbo cars tend to, whereas with Connors car, I'm willing to bet they ramped it in much harder down low. Just saying "10 psi" is very ambiguous, but that's how this dyno looks to me at least.

Honestly though, look at the useable powerband from 5-7k. When you hit it at 5k you've got about 400 ft/lbs, and you ride that out to a little over 7k and then shift, and you're coming in right back in the meat of your powerband. High torque spikes down low don't really matter when you're racing because you're never even in that section of the RPM band.

Another thing to note, as fond of the procharger as I am, you cant get hung up on the peak numbers. This car flatlines at about 400 whp for almost 1500 rpms or so, whereas the procharger tends to just rise up to that through the rpms. Very solid powerband, I wouldn't be upset with that at all. It still falls a bit on the top end, but since we've seen that with 2 engines and 2 separate tunes now, we can probably chalk that up to being a flow restriction in the v6 motor itself.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #407
Registered Member
Regular

The turbos being used are the same size correct? Cause a larger turbo at 10 psi will produce more hp than a smaller one. Boost is nothing more than the air preasure per square in. of an area. So you could also reach higher psi levels quicker with smaller intercooler piping as well.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #408
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
http://m.my350z.com/forum/showthread...542&styleid=70

Here is a link to comparisons for Dynocom, Mustang Dyno and a Dynojet.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #409
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
So how does it drive? Feel like a new animal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #410
Registered Member
Regular

Stop comparing #'s guys. We are talking about 2 different cars, on 2 different dynos.
Completely irrelevant to compare the 2 together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #411
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
So how does it drive? Feel like a new animal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

+1 how does it run???????
Boss227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #412
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Confused... clamphier's run on the dyno with the same turbo kit was around 500 hp with torque + 100 higher (not sure if I remember it right).

How come this one is running on the mid 400s?

What's the difference between clamphier's set up and yours?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #413
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
Confused... clamphier's run on the dyno with the same turbo kit was around 500 hp with torque + 100 higher (not sure if I remember it right).

How come this one is running on the mid 400s?

What's the difference between clamphier's set up and yours?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The difference is in the dyno that was used, and the tuning

The car pulls like a f***ing monster, I spun from 3rd to 4th...
Time for lower control arms and relocation brackets!
It sounds epic too! Like a race car! Haha
I'll do a revving video shortly

The real... boss 227

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

I floored it from a 20 roll, next thing I realized (while struggling to keep the car straight) I was going 80...
Dayum

The real... boss 227
Old 08-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #414
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The car pulls like a f***ing monster, I spun from 3rd to 4th...
Time for lower control arms and relocation brackets!
It sounds epic too! Like a race car! Haha
I'll do a revving video shortly

The real... boss 227

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

I floored it from a 20 roll, next thing I realized (while struggling to keep the car straight) I was going 80...
Dayum

The real... boss 227
THAT'S why I love boost!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #415
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah exactly. A dyno is not like a measuring stick. You're not going to get the same result every time you dyno a car. The same car on a different dyno, heck, the same car on the same dyno with different calibrations, will give you different numbers. Big part of doing science is knowing the uncertainty in your measurements. Usually when reporting results of experiments people will calculate +/- error bars to give a range of what the true number might be.

That's why for interpreting dyno data it is more important to look at the shape of the curve. And also it is important to have some kind of baseline to compare to, preferably taken on the same day. Unfortunately that's not always possible/feasible.

Congrats on an excellent build, Alrefire! Connor, you can count on me visiting LPF next time I'm in Houston, which will probably be mid September. I accepted a job at Texas A&M. Start date is October 1. Now I have to figure out how to move my entire life from Michigan to Texas in one Mustang.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #416
Registered Member
Regular

Start up vid http://youtu.be/6kru-6zh9hs

The real... boss 227
Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #417
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Start up vid Boss 227 LPF turbo startup - YouTube

The real... boss 227
Could you take a video outside the garage? Pretty sure the enclosed space is really changing what it actually sounds like. At least I hope it is. If that's what it really sounds like outside of a garage I couldn't deal with that noise.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #418
Registered Member
Regular

Screw the exhaust, I want a vid of a pull.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #419
Registered Member
Regular

Just did a couple rolling WOT pulls
Holy crap....
So much power...
I didn't want to record, because I'm already going from 20-90 in very little time.. and I'm still scared while flooring it XD

Haven't had the balls to do one from a dig..

And traction control is limiting me an insane amount!
I'm not disabling it until I get some suspension upgrades.

Tuner, henson performance, gave me a race tune for 93 and e85
Race tune disables traction, advance trac, and abs

The real... boss 227
Old 08-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #420
Registered Member
Regular

I hope that's not the tune you're going to run all of the time...disabling the nannies at race time is fine, but daily is dangerous.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang