Boss 227 Build Thread - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #141
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Dyno tune takes 2 days people...
Calm down :p

The real... boss 227
2 days? Wow... so what would that tune cost?
__________________
___
John - The V6 Apologist

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
How much boost are you set at?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
10 lbs

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #143
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
To up the boost you don't have to by a pulley or change one out. It's not belt driven so it's not parasitic runs off the exhaust. Way more efficient and you will pick up gas mileage. It's not limited you can make lower power or high power just depends what you want to run that day and you wouldn't have to do anything else. Plus it makes almost 100 more torque on the same amount of boost as the procharger

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
and not just max boost, with turbos you can change the boost curve by RPM or even gear, depending on boost controller setup.
__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
and not just max boost, with turbos you can change the boost curve by RPM or even gear, depending on boost controller setup.
No boost controller sadly

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Same size turbo just not oil less, it has a cast wheel and journal bearing. And then also no injectors

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Same size turbo just not oil less, it has a cast wheel and journal bearing. And then also no injectors

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
If I buy one... tell me what I need...
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
So if you buy the $4350 one you would need injectors and a tune and that's it. Basically a tuner kit with the cheaper turbo still comes with everything else

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular
 
smurf stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
and not just max boost, with turbos you can change the boost curve by RPM or even gear, depending on boost controller setup.
To a degree. Boost controllers can only control so much as the rest depends on the turbo itself and other factors like cam timing, restrictions........
__________________
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
So if you buy the $4350 one you would need injectors and a tune and that's it. Basically a tuner kit with the cheaper turbo still comes with everything else

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
What do you recommend? I dont nothing about turbos...I was planing to get a SC...but this looks great!
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #150
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
To a degree. Boost controllers can only control so much as the rest depends on the turbo itself and other factors like cam timing, restrictions........
Boost controllers control everything on ours we have a 10 pound 15 pound and 18 pound setting and they all hold it perfect. Then we also have boost by gear and boost by rpm and all works flawlessly

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
What do you recommend? I dont nothing about turbos...I was planing to get a SC...but this looks great!
Well I suggest the best one just because oilless makes install easier but the oil fed is definitely an option just have to tap the oil pan it's up to you though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular
 
3.7L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Well I suggest the best one just because oilless makes install easier but the oil fed is definitely an option just have to tap the oil pan it's up to you though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

How difficult is it to tap into the oil pan and connect it to the turbo?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
There's a good spot for it just never had to tap one because we are oil less. But there is a lot of ways to do it just depends how safety precautious you are. But also don't know if the oil pan will come out without jacking the motor up

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #154
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
To a degree. Boost controllers can only control so much as the rest depends on the turbo itself and other factors like cam timing, restrictions........
20 years ago, I used this for RPM boost control on an AWD Talon (and I still had it kicking around HAHA!!). Worked pretty well back then, allowing for 26 @ 3500 tapering to 18 by redline. Had to do stuff like that back then as ECM had a max mass air flow based fuel cut, that could not be programmed out.

Modern feedback logic controllers and/or ECM based boost control (combined with much better wastegates) have tremendous control over boost curves, so I'm going to have to generally disagree with "to a degree".

__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #155
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
And tuner said he's not gonna be done today
Anyone want to give me a ride?
Classes start again tomorrow :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #156
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Boost controllers control everything on ours we have a 10 pound 15 pound and 18 pound setting and they all hold it perfect. Then we also have boost by gear and boost by rpm and all works flawlessly

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
20 years ago, I used this for RPM boost control on an AWD Talon (and I still had it kicking around HAHA!!). Worked pretty well back then, allowing for 26 @ 3500 tapering to 18 by redline. Had to do stuff like that back then as ECM had a max mass air flow based fuel cut, that could not be programmed out.

Modern feedback logic controllers and/or ECM based boost control (combined with much better wastegates) have tremendous control over boost curves, so I'm going to have to generally disagree with "to a degree".


He's right, what he means is you can only physically tune what the turbo is capable of. For the sake of example, a Garrett 40r wont give you 30 psi at 3000 rpms on a 1.6L motor no matter how hard you try, secondly, a tiny stock turbo like the ST's K03 wont hold 25 psi at redline you know.

In regards to "modern feedback logic" controllers, that only matters so much, What really matters is if you're using an actual solenoid or a bleeder valve. Most OEMs use bleeder valves, which cant physically hold themselves open at higher WGDC loads, which is why boost tends to fall off until you upgrade to an actual solenoid.

No one is actually "wrong" here, i just felt the need to throw my .02 in.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #157
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Well I suggest the best one just because oilless makes install easier but the oil fed is definitely an option just have to tap the oil pan it's up to you though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Exactly, no mess at all.
Just make sure you tighten the barbs on the turbo (for the coolant lines)
We didn't do that, and now we are regretting that.... I have a small coolant leak that the tuner is supposedly going to fix.

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #158
Registered Member
Regular
 
smurf stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
He's right, what he means is you can only physically tune what the turbo is capable of. For the sake of example, a Garrett 40r wont give you 30 psi at 3000 rpms on a 1.6L motor no matter how hard you try, secondly, a tiny stock turbo like the ST's K03 wont hold 25 psi at redline you know.

In regards to "modern feedback logic" controllers, that only matters so much, What really matters is if you're using an actual solenoid or a bleeder valve. Most OEMs use bleeder valves, which cant physically hold themselves open at higher WGDC loads, which is why boost tends to fall off until you upgrade to an actual solenoid.

No one is actually "wrong" here, i just felt the need to throw my .02 in.
Exactly what I was trying to say.
__________________
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #159
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Well duh if the motor can't make it it's not going to make it but if the turbo and motor can do it it's not limited or off by the controller. The controller controls it to the decimal it's ridiculous when you start messing with it and you can see and feel the difference

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #160
Registered Member
Regular
 
smurf stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Well duh if the motor can't make it it's not going to make it but if the turbo and motor can do it it's not limited or off by the controller. The controller controls it to the decimal it's ridiculous when you start messing with it and you can see and feel the difference

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I was saying it can control only so much. You can't get a big wheel big trim turbo to be full tilt at 3k just like the small K03 can not push a lot of boost till the end of the rpm band and tapers off some.
__________________
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #161
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas
Region: Kansas
Posts: 68
Will there be any videos on the install and dyno runs?!?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
AgentGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #162
Registered Member
Regular
 
smurf stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,341
Alrefire should be getting tuned shortly.


Good luck on the rollers.
__________________
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #163
Registered Member
Regular
 
mystang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,201
Sub'd
__________________
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Alrefire should be getting tuned shortly.


Good luck on the rollers.
Tuner said he won't be done today, which is problematic for me, becayse I've got school tomorrow

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberBlue1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Malverne
Region: New York
Posts: 2,275
Looks like you may be biking or busing it to school!
How come the tuner is taking so long? Hope price won't go up because of that. If you would share, how much is the dyno tune going to cost?
__________________
"At least it isn't a Honda"
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Looks like you may be biking or busing it to school!
How come the tuner is taking so long? Hope price won't go up because of that. If you would share, how much is the dyno tune going to cost?
600 for 93 and e85 tune

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberBlue1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Malverne
Region: New York
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
600 for 93 and e85 tune

The real... boss 227
Sounds good to me. Here (NY) it is $400-$500 for a tune. Guess you got a discount for the 2 together, or maybe it is just cheaper where you are.
__________________
"At least it isn't a Honda"
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #168
Registered Member
Regular
 
R.R.STANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 138
Is the stang your only car?
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #169
Registered Member
Regular
 
R.R.STANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 138
Thats the only thing holding me back from going with FI. I would have to buy a second car first
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #170
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.STANG View Post
Is the stang your only car?
Yep,
And my friends are taking care of me, so it's all good :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #171
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
He's right, what he means is you can only physically tune what the turbo is capable of. For the sake of example, a Garrett 40r wont give you 30 psi at 3000 rpms on a 1.6L motor no matter how hard you try, secondly, a tiny stock turbo like the ST's K03 wont hold 25 psi at redline you know.

In regards to "modern feedback logic" controllers, that only matters so much, What really matters is if you're using an actual solenoid or a bleeder valve. Most OEMs use bleeder valves, which cant physically hold themselves open at higher WGDC loads, which is why boost tends to fall off until you upgrade to an actual solenoid.

No one is actually "wrong" here, i just felt the need to throw my .02 in.
You can add that caveat to almost any piece of equipment operated out of the range it was designed for. Don't see what it adds to the discussion on the general question of why typically installed turbo setups are better than typically installed supercharger setups.
__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #172
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuisBlackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 334
What boost controller are you using clamp?
__________________
2014 Black Mustang GT. 20" Amr wheels, Sr Performance lowering springs 1.5", stillen front chin, mmd window louvers, roush AB exhaust. FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: @barrios_Luis
LuisBlackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #173
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
I'm using the eboost2 I love it, I also like the aem one too though. They all do the same thing just slight price differences between them

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #174
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
You can add that caveat to almost any piece of equipment operated out of the range it was designed for. Don't see what it adds to the discussion on the general question of why typically installed turbo setups are better than typically installed supercharger setups.


I was just adding clarification to what he said.


Someone said something along the lines of you can control boost by rpm to whatever you want.


Smurf elaborated on that


I believe you and Connor kind of missed where he was coming from


I used a hyperbole, yes, for the sake of making an obvious example to hopefully bridge the gap in communication because he is right. Well, I suppose you both are. You can tune boost by rpm, to an extent*. Some people who are newer to turbos, or do not have first hand experience with various types of boost controllers may not know that. However, this is not the thread for discussing how different types of boost controllers effect your dyno curve. /threadjack.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #175
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Very nice setup, can't wait to see the result!!
__________________
“anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”
-George Carlin
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Boss 227 :: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 227 alrefire Member Garages 8 11-18-2015 10:15 PM
227 fender stripes somedopebeats 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 8 02-08-2015 07:50 PM
Boss 227 geepoons 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 136 06-04-2013 08:14 PM
The original Boss 227 is back! Whitelightning 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 17 03-01-2013 10:54 PM
2011 Mustang "BOSS 227" :: 2011 Ford Mustang Whitelightning Member Garages 0 06-05-2012 08:02 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:29 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.