Boss 227 Build Thread - Page 8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #246
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
He will post when he wants to post geeze guys cut him some slack. Would you want people breathing down your neck if you were trying to get it done and done right

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #247
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Yes it's the same kit, take that down because I don't want this thread deleted because of street racing

The real... boss 227
Nice man, that sixer is a monster. Hopefully yours sounds a little different tho lol
MyLittlePwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #248
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good, don't worry much about it not working on the first try. Work out the kinks and let us know when you get solid results. Please also let us know what went wrong though, after you figure it out, so that others don't make the same mistakes and we know what kind of things to look out for. It's the things that go wrong that we learn more from than the things that go right.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #249
Registered Member
Regular

Wait, i just thought of something, it may not have been a boost spike, are you running the Factory 2.73s? You may have mentioned that already but between trying to keep up with 2 threads i cant remember.

If you are, the load its probably seeing is tremendous, and could explain what caused the boost spike. I'm sure your tuner has things in check, but just trying to offer a suggestion in the meantime. I've seen cars pick up 2-3 lbs of boost when we do datalogs in 4th instead of 3rd due to the higher load down low.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #250
Registered Member
Regular

It has 3.55s it's something else. We've got it figured out now it's all good it's all on the tuner now

Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #251
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh, didnt realize he had switched. Carry on.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #252
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Actually this is very relevant to the kit. Someone having difficulty in tuning a kit that is hailed as an easy install, well it should be a slam dunk. We certainly don't want to pick anything apart but someone who is on his 4th day of tuning and still doesn't have a handle on things doesn't look very good. The fact that you had something hooked up wrong on an easily installed kit is also relevant.

I fail to see the cloak of secrecy reasoning. Either your tuner is very inexperienced or there are issues. Another reason I personally would not have let this kit be installed or tuned by anyone else other than the vendor. Your struggles ARE the true representation of the kit. I understand you would like for everything to be rosey, hit your numbers and go.......this is a revealing side of the kit.

If it was myself, I would explain the problems and why or how the tuner is a struggling to tune it.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #253
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
Actually this is very relevant to the kit. Someone having difficulty in tuning a kit that is hailed as an easy install, well it should be a slam dunk. We certainly don't want to pick anything apart but someone who is on his 4th day of tuning and still doesn't have a handle on things doesn't look very good. The fact that you had something hooked up wrong on an easily installed kit is also relevant.

I fail to see the cloak of secrecy reasoning. Either your tuner is very inexperienced or there are issues. Another reason I personally would not have let this kit be installed or tuned by anyone else other than the vendor. Your struggles ARE the true representation of the kit. I understand you would like for everything to be rosey, hit your numbers and go.......this is a revealing side of the kit.

If it was myself, I would explain the problems and why or how the tuner is a struggling to tune it.
My experience with tuning is close to 0, so i can't answer that effectively

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #254
Registered Member
Regular

Well, i think his point is that you could at least give us the Gist of what is going on. Not respondind to WGDC targets, bad MAF resolution ... basically just what the hold up is.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #255
Registered Member
Regular

That he quit working on his car to do another car. The problem the tuner should have realized before, it was an easy mess up it was nothing substantial and it wasn't a main component or anything. Just a vacuum hose and it took the tuner 3 pulls to figure it out just don't worry about it and leave him alone we have it figured out and it should be done soon. The tuner just doesn't have the best communication skills and stuff will be out soon enough

Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #256
Registered Member
Regular

Don't worry about it???? You want people to spend a minimum of 6 k with a tune on your system, and don't worry about it?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #257
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't worry about it???? You want people to spend a minimum of 6 k with a tune on your system, and don't worry about it?

I think he's trying to say its the Tuner's fault.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #258
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
It very well may be the tuners fault, and/or the installers fault... however, the official install time is 9 hours and 4 days to tune it. :-p

n = 1.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #259
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
KABOOM, lol. Jk.The kit sounds great but I think the pro charger system is where I would be at. Plug and play, way easier to install. 8 pounds boost and over 400 rwhp. Want to run 12 to 15 pounds boost, just forge the engine and call it a day. Easy peasey.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #260
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it's the tuner not the kit, he just goes slow and takes his time and he didn't check something that should have been checked.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #261
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
KABOOM, lol. Jk.The kit sounds great but I think the pro charger system is where I would be at. Plug and play, way easier to install. 8 pounds boost and over 400 rwhp. Want to run 12 to 15 pounds boost, just forge the engine and call it a day. Easy peasey.

I'm with you on this one. And that whine!!!! Sounds so sick. I could install myself, get it tuned, done. Looking like a much easier option. And that has enough power for me driving around on a DD.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #262
Registered Member
Regular

What's the average install time for the procharger?

The real... boss 227
Old 08-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #263
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
What's the average install time for the procharger?

The real... boss 227
About 4-6 hours going carefully/slowly. That's with not knowing what you're doing. Procharger authorized dealers can have it installed and dyno tuned in a day, 2 at the most.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #264
Registered Member
Regular

Joe average can do it over the weekend. A regular shop is a one day install.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #265
Registered Member
Regular

Well procharger does provide a base tune and supports all models now, 11-14. I'd have to get the D1SC head and bigger injectors if I went that route. But you could install it and actually drive to a dyno tuner as long as you weren't rev happy.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #266
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Well procharger does provide a base tune and supports all models now, 11-14. I'd have to get the D1SC head and bigger injectors if I went that route. But you could install it and actually drive to a dyno tuner as long as you weren't rev happy.
That makes more sense and you wouldn't have to be worried with boost spike or faulty waste gates or other issues that could arrive from installing a turbo. Does the Procharger base tune set you up to DD at 6 psi and over 400 whp?

Plus this "parasitic loss" people claim comes from the belt driven Prochargers sounds very outdated. Isnt the idea of the Procharger to have supercharger consistency but with little to no effort on the engines part?

Cars have some loss with belt driven parts anyway. Power steering, alternator, a/c condensers and come to think of it the V6 doesn't have a power steering pump so that eliminates one!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #267
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
About 4-6 hours going carefully/slowly. That's with not knowing what you're doing. Procharger authorized dealers can have it installed and dyno tuned in a day, 2 at the most.
Certainly I'm not knocking the turbo system here but if one has mechanical skills, one can install the procharger in 3-4 hours tops and far less stuff too worry about. Its just way easier than this turbo system, fabrication of all sorts. Plug and play and 400 plus rwhp and add bolt on mods like I have, your around 450 rwhp all on 8 pounds boost.

While these guys are hacking , fabricating stuff, worrying about boost spikes and waste gates, I'm there eating a ham sandwich and driving my new supercharged 3.7. Ha ha ha ha

Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #268
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
That makes more sense and you wouldn't have to be worried with boost spike or faulty waste gates or other issues that could arrive from installing a turbo. Does the Procharger base tune set you up to DD at 6 psi and over 400 whp?

Plus this "parasitic loss" people claim comes from the belt driven Prochargers sounds very outdated. Isnt the idea of the Procharger to have supercharger consistency but with little to no effort on the engines part?

Cars have some loss with belt driven parts anyway. Power steering, alternator, a/c condensers and come to think of it the V6 doesn't have a power steering pump so that eliminates one!
I believe the base boost is set at 8 psi.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #269
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
If I didn't install my injectors, I could drive to the tuner if I kept my rpms low, granny driving

The real... boss 227
Old 08-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #270
Registered Member
Regular

If the MAF housing was the same size as stock. Otherwise no you couldnt have, injectors or not.

Thats not a knock against this turbo kit, thats just basic tuning.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #271
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If the MAF housing was the same size as stock. Otherwise no you couldnt have, injectors or not.

Thats not a knock against this turbo kit, thats just basic tuning.
That's not true. When I installed my ecoboost manifold the MAF housing was much larger than stock. Not only did it drive on the stock tune it ran extremely well. Wasn't over pleased with idling but that turned out to have been a leaking header that wasn't picked up till late in the tuning cycle. The Spanish Oak based ECUs are pretty damn flexible.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #272
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
@grabber, the procharger is a centrifugal supercharger, so almost no noise. It's not n like the legendary whine of the twin screw Kenne Belle on the cobras

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #273
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
@grabber, the procharger is a centrifugal supercharger, so almost no noise. It's not n like the legendary whine of the twin screw Kenne Belle on the cobras

I've seen a few 3.7s with the Procharger and they do whine pretty nicely! Those twin screw kenne belles ROAR. Like oh my god :p

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #274
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's not true. When I installed my ecoboost manifold the MAF housing was much larger than stock. Not only did it drive on the stock tune it ran extremely well. Wasn't over pleased with idling but that turned out to have been a leaking header that wasn't picked up till late in the tuning cycle. The Spanish Oak based ECUs are pretty damn flexible.

its 100% true, The mass airflow calculation includes MAF diameter, and i have tuned SEVERAL cars going from as low as 2.5" MAFs up to 4" mafs ... there is no ifs ands or buts about it. Regardless of how sophisticated an ECU may or may not be, even changing the diameter as much as .5" is enough to peg almost any modern ECU's fuel trims.

I'm also not familiar with the "ecoboost manifolds" but is the MAF in the manifold? Thats an odd design, so i dont really think you and i are talking about the same thing.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #275
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Turbo spool and waste gate blow off are pretty satisfying as well though. Although I still will have a Terminator at some point as a project car. Just love em.

The which is better argument going on now is a moot point. Install what YOU want. Personally, I think the procharger is good for people who want easy, quick power and don't plan on anything crazy. Whereas the turbo setup offers a lot more potential for people who want to get a little nutty.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #276
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Econoboost manifold?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Grabber...like this whine:
Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #277
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
its 100% true, The mass airflow calculation includes MAF diameter, and i have tuned SEVERAL cars going from as low as 2.5" MAFs up to 4" mafs ... there is no ifs ands or buts about it. Regardless of how sophisticated an ECU may or may not be, even changing the diameter as much as .5" is enough to peg almost any modern ECU's fuel trims.
So I guess that my car didn't start first turn over with a completely different intake manifold and a larger MAF housing. ****, then I wonder what the hell happened?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #278
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Turbo spool and waste gate blow off are pretty satisfying as well though. Although I still will have a Terminator at some point as a project car. Just love em.

The which is better argument going on now is a moot point. Install what YOU want. Personally, I think the procharger is good for people who want easy, quick power and don't plan on anything crazy. Whereas the turbo setup offers a lot more potential for people who want to get a little nutty.

The best part is we have these different options to compare and choose!! Gotta give a big thanks to LPF for giving us the option.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #279
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I've seen a few 3.7s with the Procharger and they do whine pretty nicely! Those twin screw kenne belles ROAR. Like oh my god :p

Opps it didn't post right here the link for you Grabber

http://youtu.be/szn_fwD_IuI
Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #280
Registered Member
Regular

Voltwings your wrong mine ran and drove as well. Just idled a little different. But have fun figuring out how to do the procharger install it's about equivalent as our kit I've installed both a few times and it takes both about the same ours may even be faster..

Plus procharger comes with a 6 pound base map and it sucks it wouldn't even drive when I put it on I made a strategy tune that ran better. If you have diablo we can send you a base tune otherwise don't install the injectors and you'll get wherever you are going....

I've gone both options and not because I'm trying to sell the kits but just because I rode in a turbo car and it changed my perception forever the torque is unreal and the efficiency is dumb. I lost 4 mpg with the procharger and had to drill the crank and literally did nothing with the TURBO and gained 8 mpg. Just something for yall to think on

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang