Boss 227 Build Thread - Page 9 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #281
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lol how is the only guy here who actively tunes wrong? I never said it wouldnt run, but do you understand how a MAF works? Your cars were running incredibly lean going to a different sized MAF from stock without adjusting the tune. Talk to any tuner and they will tell you that. Its common knowledge.

I tuned a car once with a different sized MAF from stock, only 1/2" difference, and it pegged the Fuel trims at 30% and was still running an 18 AFR, but by all means, im the one who doesnt know what the **** IM talking about.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #282
Registered Member
Regular

Here are 3 MAF curves from cars I myself have personally tuned. 2.5", 3" and 3.5", and you can see they're logarithmic, meaning the further up the curve you go, the larger the discrepancy gets.

Between the 2.5" and 3" at 2.5 Maf volts you're commanding 12% more G/s of fuel

Between the 3" and 3.5" at the same MAF voltage you're commanding about 34% more fuel. Argue with that and tell me I'm wrong. Dumbasses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.5 inch.PNG
Views:	125
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	163986   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 inch.PNG
Views:	120
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	163987  

Name:	3.5 inch.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	163988  
Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #283
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a performance car on the tune it will work which 95% of people have. It's the same size pipe as most cold air intakes. My car ran a little bit rich which I preferred anyways

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #284
Registered Member
Regular

Your literally arguing just to argue, trying to take a scientific approach to everything. When in real life doesn't matter, if the car runs and drives and as long as it's not super lean it would be good enough to drive it to a tuner. Your making a big deal out of something that doesn't matter and things we have PERSONALLY done work just fine just like you

Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #285
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I'm with you on this one. And that whine!!!! Sounds so sick. I could install myself, get it tuned, done. Looking like a much easier option. And that has enough power for me driving around on a DD.
The procharger doesn't whine at all, even with the non helical gears. I've ridden in one.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #286
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
If you have a performance car on the tune it will work which 95% of people have. It's the same size pipe as most cold air intakes. My car ran a little bit rich which I preferred anyways

Quote:
Your literally arguing just to argue, trying to take a scientific approach to everything. When in real life doesn't matter, if the car runs and drives and as long as it's not super lean it would be good enough to drive it to a tuner. Your making a big deal out of something that doesn't matter and things we have PERSONALLY done work just fine just like you

All you needed to say was that your kit includes the same MAF size as stock, because is that not what i said in my original post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If the MAF housing was the same size as stock. Otherwise no you couldnt have, injectors or not.

Thats not a knock against this turbo kit, thats just basic tuning.

You, are the one arguing just to argue Connor. My point was you cannot drive (or excuse me, should not) a car if the MAF has been changed and not tuned for. I was then told several times i was wrong, and proved why i was not. The only reason a car will run super lean, with no changes to the tune, is if the MAF size is wrong. And tuning IS a scientific approach, putting **** on and hoping for the best to just limp it to the tuner, is not.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #287
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not arguing I was just stating a fact that my car ran perfectly fine and that popeyes car ran fine with a big change too. I'm not arguing that's facts

Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #288
Registered Member
Regular

I give up connor, obviously with the OEM MAF housing your car ran fine. With no datalogging however, you just think popeye's car was running fine, and i can promise you it was not. Look at the MAF tables i posted, THOSE are facts. His car was running lean, i dont care what you or anyone else says. But enough derailing. Lets see how this dyno comes out tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #289
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
We started the car and revved to 1400 with my 93r tune with no problem.
There wasn't even a check engine light
That's the first start vid I have on youtube

LPF Turbo 3.7L Cyclone Mustang "Boss 227" First S…: http://youtu.be/8YhKoEZPlic

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #290
Registered Member
Regular

And the cars have factory wide bands so we can look at them. It's not like I'm just saying stuff to say it. Idles almost perfect to

Old 08-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #291
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
It sounds.... Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
AgentGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #292
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGTO View Post
It sounds.... Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'll go ahead and tell you the video doesn't do justice, it's so loud that it didn't pick it up.
I had to yell at coty who was 4 ft away for him to hear me.
It's loud, and deep, infact, 3 or 4x louder than my other setup

It shook the ground. it was so beautiful :')

The real... boss 227
Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #293
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Is it connected to any resonators or mufflers?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #294
Registered Member
Regular

I've tried to explain it to them and they don't understand lol

Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #295
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've tried to explain it to them and they don't understand lol

I veugly remember something being said. It's something along the lines of custom mid pipe and the turbos exhaust side just leads to a down pipe. But there are 30 pages on this thread and I don't want to read through it all again to find it.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #296
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Turbo spool and waste gate blow off are pretty satisfying as well though. Although I still will have a Terminator at some point as a project car. Just love em.

The which is better argument going on now is a moot point. Install what YOU want. Personally, I think the procharger is good for people who want easy, quick power and don't plan on anything crazy. Whereas the turbo setup offers a lot more potential for people who want to get a little nutty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Just for my clarification and understanding, are you saying that the pro charger supercharger for the 3.7 one cannot get nutty power from? Can one not obtain 600 rwhp with the pro charger system as one can with the turbo system?

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #297
Registered Member
Regular

And.... car won't be picked up tomorrow morning...
So don't start asking for numbers, because I have none..
All that's left is transmission tuning.

The real... boss 227
Old 08-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #298
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Just for my clarification and understanding, are you saying that the pro charger supercharger for the 3.7 one cannot get nutty power from? Can one not obtain 600 rwhp with the pro charger system as one can with the turbo system?

Correct, the ProCharger is limited. You can do pulley swaps for more boost, but there is a limit to the size of pulley you can use. I think with the nastiest pulley available you wouldn't even be close. If someone can offer results that prove me wrong, feel free.

The turbo has far more potential just by the nature of what it is. Not to mention it offers the capacity to go Twin Turbos in the future. Of course, that's definitely uncharted territory for the 3.7, doesn't mean it isn't viable though.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #299
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

You can but at 600 hp you will make about 470 tq and you'll have to be on like 20ish pounds of boost on a p1 or you'll have to get a d1 which is another 1200 or you ship your p1 in and it's 800 bucks. Turbo kit hp/tq usually match with tq a little higher and on lower boost

Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #300
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I veugly remember something being said. It's something along the lines of custom mid pipe and the turbos exhaust side just leads to a down pipe. But there are 30 pages on this thread and I don't want to read through it all again to find it.
And I'm saying my exhaust is the same as hassans and yall said it sounded like crap. But when you hear it in person it's awesome driving around; full throttle yes gets pitchy but that's just the wastegates the actual exhaust sounds good!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #301
Registered Member
Regular

It makes absolutely no sense to me that the car can be properly tuned when the MAF diameter is incorrect. I mean... that's how it calculates how much air is going into the cylinders, it should throw everything off. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to learn how clamphier and popeye think that it can be okay. I understand what Voltwings is saying. I don't understand what the others are saying.

Maybe you guys are saying that it's "good enough"? Good enough to keep low rpms and make it to a tuner to get it properly tuned? Just because a car runs, even if it's seemingly running well, doesn't mean that it's running properly.

Again, not trying to argue, if it's coming off that way. Just trying to learn. What I've read from Voltwings is very convincing, I have not heard a convincing argument from Connor and popeye.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #302
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'm not gonna argue anything.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408667793916.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	164008

That manifold and MAF housing started first turn. I ran it around the block on many different occasions long before I got a tune. AND it had the GT throttle body on it. Stock tune. I'm not gonna argue a thing.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #303
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And I'm saying my exhaust is the same as hassans and yall said it sounded like crap. But when you hear it in person it's awesome driving around; full throttle yes gets pitchy but that's just the wastegates the actual exhaust sounds good!

Oh i never heard your exhaust. Can I find it on YouTube? I've seen a couple videos with a guy who has a silver Mustang that has a Procharger. Pretty mean sounding and he keeps right at the door handle of a Boss 302 the whole time...
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #304
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
I'm not gonna argue anything.
Attachment 164008

That manifold and MAF housing started first turn. I ran it around the block on many different occasions long before I got a tune. AND it had the GT throttle body on it. Stock tune. I'm not gonna argue a thing.

Ummm.... okay I thought I made it clear by explicitly saying that I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to learn, but I guess that still wasn't understood. I know you're saying it ran. What I would like to know is WHY and HOW. No one has explained how the tune can compensate for an incorrect MAF diameter. This stuff isn't magic, there's something going on in there that is making it happen. I want to know what that is.

All I'm doing is asking a question. If you don't know the answer, say you don't know, don't just blow it off by saying "I'm not going to argue." Especially when I said that I'm not trying to argue.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #305
Registered Member
Regular

Stock widebands = self tuning (to a degree) so MAF Housing size is not as critical as with previous narrow band cars.

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #306
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh i never heard your exhaust. Can I find it on YouTube? I've seen a couple videos with a guy who has a silver Mustang that has a Procharger. Pretty mean sounding and he keeps right at the door handle of a Boss 302 the whole time...
That's my car

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #307
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Ummm.... okay I thought I made it clear by explicitly saying that I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to learn, but I guess that still wasn't understood. I know you're saying it ran. What I would like to know is WHY and HOW. No one has explained how the tune can compensate for an incorrect MAF diameter. This stuff isn't magic, there's something going on in there that is making it happen. I want to know what that is.

All I'm doing is asking a question. If you don't know the answer, say you don't know, don't just blow it off by saying "I'm not going to argue." Especially when I said that I'm not trying to argue.
With the new cars the computers will compensate a lot and learn not by any means a stand alone or efi or anything but enough to idle properly and drive around decent. I'm not saying go out and race it but it learns enough to decently drive it and get around

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #308
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's my car

Lol seriously?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #309
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Lol seriously?
That's the one, they ran with the 1320 folks. Title of the video was "WEIRD Sounding V6 Turbo Stang THROWS DOWN". Can't post the link for reasons, but you can check it out.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #310
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Stock widebands = self tuning (to a degree) so MAF Housing size is not as critical as with previous narrow band cars.
Quote:
With the new cars the computers will compensate a lot and learn not by any means a stand alone or efi or anything but enough to idle properly and drive around decent. I'm not saying go out and race it but it learns enough to decently drive it and get around

Alright, thanks a lot guys. That doesn't completely satisfy how in depth I want to understand this, but what you guys said at least tells me what to look up and research. Very cool - thank you.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #311
Registered Member
Regular

Well this thread derailed quickly..
Before I release results, I want y'all to understand that the results were on a dynocom not on a dynojet, and that a dynocom will read lower than a dynojet.
How much, I'm not sure?

Maybe instead of measuring dick size, we could discuss the difference between the dynos

The real... boss 227
Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #312
Registered Member
Regular

The reason I'm saying that is because I can already see y'all discussing my dyno numbers and putting em right up to connors

The real... boss 227
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #313
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Alright, thanks a lot guys. That doesn't completely satisfy how in depth I want to understand this, but what you guys said at least tells me what to look up and research. Very cool - thank you.

Well how in depth do you want to go? The factory cars come with wide bands, they can read the air fuel percentage that is going through. the computer has all kinds of maps and tables that when it sees certain ratios it compensates.

For example if you put a new intake on or first put a new tune it it idles high and like crap then if you let it keep running for a few minutes it will settle down and compensate enough to idle decent and drive. Like I said it won't completely self tune but it adjusts a decent amount and can get you going. The car has maps that it's supposed to stay in and the computer tries to make it as close to that as it can.

Anyways back to the turbo

Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #314
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
More interested in the graph rather than peak numbers. Way more information there and just spill the beans. Who cares what it peaked at.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #315
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
More interested in the graph rather than peak numbers. Way more information there and just spill the beans. Who cares what it peaked at.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I don't have the graph yet, should get it tomorrow morning

The real... boss 227

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang