Airaid CAI rattle on 2014 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Airaid CAI rattle on 2014

Have a bad rattle under heavy acceleration coming from recently installed Airaid on 2014 V6. Note that with 13's and 14's, the raised hood extends all the way down to grill, leaving a larger gap for the Airaid to seal under the hood. Design needs to be updated since it is not the same as older models. Have tried wedging some foam weather striping around various places on CAI, which helps, but did not eliminate the rattle. The sucking noise is nice, but the rattle kicks in half way through and ruins the whole thing.

Will go back to stock CAI box along with an Airaid 450-945 tube if I can't figure this out, or if it is normal.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
I have a airraid cai on my 2014 but mine does not rattle
Boss227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Same here mine is not rattling, you must have installed it wrong? Did you tighten everything down?
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
Have a bad rattle under heavy acceleration coming from recently installed Airaid on 2014 V6. Note that with 13's and 14's, the raised hood extends all the way down to grill, leaving a larger gap for the Airaid to seal under the hood. Design needs to be updated since it is not the same as older models. Have tried wedging some foam weather striping around various places on CAI, which helps, but did not eliminate the rattle. The sucking noise is nice, but the rattle kicks in half way through and ruins the whole thing.

Will go back to stock CAI box along with an Airaid 450-945 tube if I can't figure this out, or if it is normal.
Do you have a tuner on your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Do you have a tuner on your car?

Rattle is both with and without tune.

Removed and re-installed once already, yet still there.
Will see if third times a charm.

Are any of you with the newer style hood that has raised portion going all the way to grill/bumper, concerned about the possible failure to seal properly at the hood? Did you add anything extra to provide a better Airaid seal?
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I just used the seal that came with the cai and put it around the air box like in the instructions but I don't get any rattle at all and not really concerned about any sealing issues because whenever I first installed the little rubber seal on the air box and close my hood shut, it "sealed" if you understand it bended the rubber seal not much but enough to where I really wouldn't worry about it. Plus lots of 3.7 owners have the Airaid Cai.

I have a premium and the intake temps are basically same as the stock intake unless you sit at a stop for a while it will start to heat up but not much more that the stock intake.
I have the same body style as yours so maybe you got a bad part somewhere or its not seated properly maybe thats what is causing rattle. Specifically where is it rattling at?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
Rattle is both with and without tune.

Removed and re-installed once already, yet still there.
Will see if third times a charm.

Are any of you with the newer style hood that has raised portion going all the way to grill/bumper, concerned about the possible failure to seal properly at the hood? Did you add anything extra to provide a better Airaid seal?
Mine is a 2014 I had that heavy acceleration rattle also with both of my cai. C&L and Airaid. I'm on the stock tune thinking the engine was leaning out because it starts at 5k until redline

Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Strange mine doesn't rattle and its my DD maybe I have never noticed it. Must test it when I get off of work gonna go floor it a couple of times to see if there is any rattling.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Airaid on my 13, no rattle here. What do you think is rattling? The Airad box is bolted to the car and should not be moving and the hood under hard acceleration should be vibrating enough to cause a rattling noise against the "plastic" Airaid box. Maybe check your heat shield on your exhaust manifold? I suggest putting your stock air box back on and go from there.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's sounds more like the engine versus the cai itself. I had the shorties on so I tried both manifolds and headers the only way it stopped was to put the stock induction back on

Old 03-27-2015, 12:51 AM   #11

Same issue for me

I'm discovering the same issue on mine I have a 2014 V6 stick hood and a BAMA tune and I here the rattle when I accelerate I was not able to find the issue I have tighten everything down and it words me by any chance did any one find the solution or cause of it or source what the rattle is???
desertLuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #12

did any one find the main problem with the rattling yet I am still dealing with the issue and the dealership don't even want to touch it because it is an aftermarket part.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Is it metallic sounding? Plastic sounding? Both?

2012 Mustang V6,
3:73's, Airaid Intake, Dynomax VT Exhaust, Hotchkis Stage 1 kit, Hopes and Dreams injection.
Meaningoflife90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

When you installed the cai, did you out in the bolts that attached the intake tube to the splash shield?
Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Ditto on Kevin's remark also, when I installed mine, I dropped a screw down the air intake side. Had to remove the lower panel to get it. While I didn't hear a rattle, I took my car apart thinking there surely would be a rattle if I didn't. Could it be something as simple as you dropping a washer there and it's rattling on the plastic?
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I assume you try to duplicate the rattle while parked and having someone race the engine, to allow pinpointing the source.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 AM   #17
rob.james.arias

I had this issue for weeks! Thought I was the only one, scoured the internet trying to find a solution. No luck. I recently installed a CAI and the rattle started.

Well about three days ago I fixed the rattle.

There are brake lines that run under where the old stock intake box used to be. I think the old intake sat flush on them or close enough they had little to no movement. Once I realized that was the culprit I put foam under them and in between the metal they are above. No rattle. Hopefully this is the same fix for you.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 14 v6 premium with a air-raid cai and have never had a rattle noise and not worried about the seal breaking or being ruined either

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
wmelendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
I had this issue for weeks! Thought I was the only one, scoured the internet trying to find a solution. No luck. I recently installed a CAI and the rattle started.

Well about three days ago I fixed the rattle.

There are brake lines that run under where the old stock intake box used to be. I think the old intake sat flush on them or close enough they had little to no movement. Once I realized that was the culprit I put foam under them and in between the metal they are above. No rattle. Hopefully this is the same fix for you.

I will surely check on this rob.james.arias thanks!! ill get back to you on it or by any chance can you post some pics on where it is actually located like a guide on how you fixed it? I will greatly appreciate it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai