Sad manual statistics - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sad manual statistics

So I've been reading that manual transmissions are real close to becoming extinct. And no I'm not talking about automatic with paddle shifters, I'm talking about the good old 6 spend manual.
Of all the new cars sold in the us only about 3.4 percent were manual. So from one loyal manual driver (14 years) to others, please we should start promoting these transmissions. Spread the good news lol!!!
Thumbs up for those already with manual transmissions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Over in Europe and other parts of the world manuals are very much alive, .but over here in N.A I'm afraid it is true, we are a dying breed. Nowadays with how much tech is in theses cars its just a matter of time before they go way of the dinosaur. Sad really. : (

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
My first car was a manual. I feel knowing how to row your boat should be mandatory.
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I really want a manual transmission although, if my parents had let me get a manual, I wouldn't be in a Mustang. I've driven friends manual cars, but my parents don't know that, so, I'll have to "learn" it with my dad at some point.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
It's out of pure laziness here in the U.S. Most people just see a car as an A to B mode of transportation. So anything that makes that process easier (automatic) becomes dominant.

That said, I do agree everyone should learn. Once you can drive a manual, you can pretty much drive anything. I started with a 90s S10 without a hydraulic clutch. Not fun but I learned.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I learned how to drive on a tractor in Ireland every summer starting at age 11. If you can drive one of those on those roads, you can drive anything.
If you haven't had the experience of driving on a country road in Ireland, you don't know how truly terrifying that is.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

I learned how to drive on a tractor in Ireland every summer starting at age 11. If you can drive one of those on those roads, you can drive anything.
If you haven't had the experience of driving on a country road in Ireland, you don't know how truly terrifying that is.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #7

amen to that brother. I know automatics these days are really good, but so much more engaging with manuals. it's sad when we Americans care more about cup holders than transmissions. glad other parts of the world, such as Europe still demand manuals. what's one of the best moments in race scenes in movies like the earlier fast & furious; it's when the racers are shifting. there's a reason they show those scenes; cause it's so dam cool!

Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
13rrstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Off-topic (forgive me), but if you haven't had the experience of driving in Vietnam, you don't know how truly terrifying that is. My girlfriend lived their for work for 1.5 years, and rode a motorcycle. Here is a sped-up video she made of her morning commute, using a GoPro on her helmet.

Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Off-topic (forgive me), but if you haven't had the experience of driving in Vietnam, you don't know how truly terrifying that is. My girlfriend lived their for work for 1.5 years, and rode a motorcycle. Here is a sped-up video she made of her morning commute, using a GoPro on her helmet.

Holy Hell. They drive on the right, left, middle, through each other.... I couldn't do that. Nope. Then she's off roading... wow. Now that's an adventure. Your girl is a better driver than I am. I am really impressed. All on a little bike. Wow.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
It's out of pure laziness here in the U.S. Most people just see a car as an A to B mode of transportation. So anything that makes that process easier (automatic) becomes dominant.

That said, I do agree everyone should learn. Once you can drive a manual, you can pretty much drive anything. I started with a 90s S10 without a hydraulic clutch. Not fun but I learned.
I learned to drive in a 1971 F800 Dump Truck with a 391 gas motor and 5 speed with a 2 speed rear axle, whats this hydralic clutch you speak of.
Even the Class 8 trucks are getting more automatics, more for longevity over anything else. People don't know how or want to learn to drive a manual trans anymore.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Manuals have a time and place, unfortunately on my 50 mile commute in traffic it isn't the time or place so I have an auto. I do agree everyone should know how to drive one so I bought a miata as a toy and my kids have to learn to drive that before they can get a license, works perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy Hell. They drive on the right, left, middle, through each other.... I couldn't do that. Nope. Then she's off roading... wow. Now that's an adventure. Your girl is a better driver than I am. I am really impressed. All on a little bike. Wow.
This will really stroke her ego when I show her that a gearhead from my Mustang forum said she's a better driver than him! But yes, I drive a Mustang and I have a girlfriend who is into bikes. Life is good!

Not trying to take anything away from what you did. Drove a tractor on Irish country roads at age 11? SA-WEET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcontra View Post
Manuals have a time and place, unfortunately on my 50 mile commute in traffic it isn't the time or place so I have an auto. I do agree everyone should know how to drive one so I bought a miata as a toy and my kids have to learn to drive that before they can get a license, works perfectly.
You are absolutely right. Anyone on this website loves driving, but for the vast majority of Americans, a car is just a way to get around. The easier the better. Therefore Google is developing self-driving vehicles. My 'stang is an auto because if I got the manual more than half of my family wouldn't be able to drive it (and they have no desire to learn). Funny you say that about the Miata - just a couple weeks ago my girlfriend's dad and I switched cars for fun. He has an old red one, looks like an '89 or early '90s model, not sure exactly. It's a very fun car.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sad indeed. I've actually never owned an automatic. Learned to drive in a 1968 VW Beetle manual 4-speed, then inherited my Dad's '64 Ford Falcon Ranchero with a 4-speed manual (wish I still had it). After that I had a '73 Toyota Corolla S-5, one of the first cars you could get with a 5-speed manual. To this day that was the sweetest shifting car I've ever owned. I followed up that with an '84 Toyota SR-5 Xtra-Cab pick up with a 5-speed manual, then an '02 Lexus IS300 manual. That car had a crappiest, numbest clutch feel of any car. It also wanted to chatter when cold. Sold that for my current '13 GT 6-Speed manual.

My wife has had a couple of automatic minivans and now a Rav4. All but the Rav4 (knock wood) have had major automatic transmission failures. My daughter's '99 Civic crapped it's auto too. I've spent thousands fixing / replacing automatics and I've grown to hate them.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'd give up my manual trans for a good dual clutch gearbox.

I'd still miss that clutch pedal tho.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Only way I'm swapping to the 4r70w is when my Mt-82 takes a crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I don't see manual transmissions lasting much longer, I would say within the next century they will most likely be phased out by technology since the new transmissions are becoming incredibly efficient.

Personally, I have driven both, but considering traffic and what I use my car for I could not justify having a manual. If I was going to the track or something yeah I'd love to have a manual, but I'm not and don't see that happening for a long time. Granted, I am not very good at using a manual because I've never owned one, just learned on my buddy's old car back in high school. So could I drive a manual? Yeah, but it wouldn't be pretty until I got use to it.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Yeah I don't see manual transmissions lasting much longer, I would say within the next century they will most likely be phased out by technology since the new transmissions are becoming incredibly efficient.

Personally, I have driven both, but considering traffic and what I use my car for I could not justify having a manual. If I was going to the track or something yeah I'd love to have a manual, but I'm not and don't see that happening for a long time. Granted, I am not very good at using a manual because I've never owned one, just learned on my buddy's old car back in high school. So could I drive a manual? Yeah, but it wouldn't be pretty until I got use to it.
Within the next century is as long as we need them to stick around, technically speaking.

I knew the concept of driving a manual when I got my Mustang but had only about an hour of experience on a Chevy S10.

I had my friend drive it home for me, practiced for a week, and now if I could I'd never get an auto again. It doesn't take long to get to a point where you can take it out on a highway.

I hit traffic everyday on my way to work, but I still wouldn't take an auto. Just too much fun.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
I learned to drive in a 67 mustang with a six and a manual. the car was brand new at the time. Ya I'm that old lol
Boss227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
Just too much fun.

I hear this all the time from a buddy of mine or anyone with a manual. He bought a WRX with barely any manual driving experience and he loves it.

It's all personal preferance I suppose, currently my commute to work is literally 5 - 6 minutes through city streets. So the amount of "fun" for me on a regular basis would be pretty minimal unless I drove around outside of town.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
There are some guys I know who want to race me. There cars are listed below, I told each of them that of course I would and we can head to the Immokallee Strip and run against each other. That said I told them I DRIVE so maybe you should race me with launch control off and at least paddle shift. They all say no?!? I mean I know we all love our cars but isn't there something to be said for leaving some driving to the driver??

2003 Audi RS6 Auto with Quatrro AWD and paddle shifters
2014 Porsche Cayman launch control and automatic
2006 BMW M3 Vert with Launch and Auto

FYI on a side note I should beat all three regardless right? The RS6 is the only one that really has me wondering
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
There are some guys I know who want to race me. There cars are listed below, I told each of them that of course I would and we can head to the Immokallee Strip and run against each other. That said I told them I DRIVE so maybe you should race me with launch control off and at least paddle shift. They all say no?!? I mean I know we all love our cars but isn't there something to be said for leaving some driving to the driver??

FYI on a side note I should beat all three regardless right? The RS6 is the only one that really has me wondering

Those RS audi's are nasty man. My friends brother has an RS4 and that thing PULLS. I would have to give it to the Audi, although I don't know what mods you have

Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post

I wouldn't be too over confident. That's a decent line up. The RS6 and M3, you'll likely lose the RS6 is not slow and 2006 M3 I believe is when they introduced the 4.0L V8, if it was still the in line 6 it'd be close due to the weight. The Cayman might be close.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My 350Z and Versa are stick shifts but I wanted an auto in my Mustang. I hope to always have at least one manual car but must admit, modern Automatics are great,
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Those RS audi's are nasty man. My friends brother has an RS4 and that thing PULLS. I would have to give it to the Audi, although I don't know what mods you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I wouldn't be too over confident. That's a decent line up. The RS6 and M3, you'll likely lose the RS6 is not slow and 2006 M3 I believe is when they introduced the 4.0L V8, if it was still the in line 6 it'd be close due to the weight. The Cayman might be close.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ya, I think the Audi is going to get me but we will see. All figuring a da we can go to track same time. The M3 should be a win especially since a converible and that kid said he can win no matter what so said he would turn off the launch control and he is 18 lol. The Cayman actually said nevermind, he said he knows I will beat him.

Few mods Tuned, CAI, suspension work, and full off road exhaust.

Sorry for highjacking thread for a bit. I really did start off ranting about manuals lol
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the post, but I'd like to hear from those who have always driven stick and have not changed to auto.

elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
I have always preferred driving a manual in all conditions except when driving a tow vehicle. autos are easier for towing.
Boss227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

we all have 80 years and left to live. Im pretty sure in 2014-2020 they're not going instinct. So You're good homie. Keep clutchin' on! 🙌
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #28

Region: North Carolina
I'm not denying the whole idea that most Americans see automobiles simply as a way to get from point a to point b, thus making automatics more popular. But, I've talked to many Mustang enthusiasts who have driven manuals in the past and they are actually picking the automatics over the manuals. Often times the automatics actually do run better times than the manuals cause of the computer and what not. I see so many more newer automatic GT's than I did five years ago. I like driving manual like most manual guys do, but I don't think it's simply based on American laziness or ignorance by any means - as far as muscle cars go anyways.

RaceRedOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
For drag racing I appreciate the auto, and racing a SMG, but daily driving a standard is a must. I have had 3 automatics, and 5 standards. I currently own three standards, and won't be buying an automatic ever again. Maybe an SMG if I get a true performance car (FF, the next GT40/44). But no automatics for me. The true driver enthusiast companies offer them. BMW, Mazda, Lamborghini, so on. Ford will not stop it in the Mustangs, at least not for a LONG time. Mazda offers a standard in the MP5 (van), the 3, maybe the 6, and the CX5. Those are just the ones I personally know of, there may be more.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRedOBrien View Post
I'm not denying the whole idea that most Americans see automobiles simply as a way to get from point a to point b, thus making automatics more popular. But, I've talked to many Mustang enthusiasts who have driven manuals in the past and they are actually picking the automatics over the manuals. Often times the automatics actually do run better times than the manuals cause of the computer and what not. I see so many more newer automatic GT's than I did five years ago. I like driving manual like most manual guys do, but I don't think it's simply based on American laziness or ignorance by any means - as far as muscle cars go anyways.

This also depends on what kind of track time you want. Drag racing, of course Auto will be better. But road courses, you want the control of a manual. Obviously drag racing is more popular with muscle car owners though.

I don't think the manual will ever go away but become increasingly harder to find on mainstream cars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang