Dyno time - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Im tracking! I will shoot you a PM when I get my Dyno date set up for a quick refresher

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Oh i'm aware of how a dyno works, area under the curve i'm just saying i'm not sure if they can display it. Like if the dyno just makes the graph and thats that, but like i said, i've never bothered to ask for a data print out... Actually if they could give you the data digitally that would be much better than actually printing it out lol bring a flash drive or something.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Oh i'm aware of how a dyno works, area under the curve i'm just saying i'm not sure if they can display it. Like if the dyno just makes the graph and thats that, but like i said, i've never bothered to ask for a data print out... Actually if they could give you the data digitally that would be much better than actually printing it out lol bring a flash drive or something.
Yes, to be 100% clear, of all people on here, I know you know how a dyno works, much much much better than me. I'm trying to probe that brain of yours for info because you're being super helpful. I'm really looking forward to working with you and Grabber and hopefully we can learn a lot about these tunes that people here haven't discussed before! This should be a great learning experience for all of us, I'm really excited.

Shunc... you should get in on this too.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, you flatter me, haha i'm just bored as **** at work and this is more fun lol.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, you flatter me, haha i'm just bored as **** at work and this is more fun lol.
lol.... same here, same here.....

Actually I'm in between jobs right now and therefore have been spending a lot more time on ME. People probably noticed that I was a member for a year but haven't been really active until a couple months ago. That's because I was writing my dissertation 24/7 before that. I finished my PhD in May and since then have been working two part-time jobs at the University of Michigan. One in the lab I did my research in, in Biomedical Engineering, and another for the Mechanical Engineering department. Buys the time until I find/start my next full-time job. Even with those two part-time jobs though, there is plenty of down time. But hey, it's been a great summer. Good to have a little down time after working really hard for so many years.

I have an offer to do a postdoc at Texas A&M. If I accept it, I'll move down there in about a month. Something I've noticed about this website: there are A LOT of Texans on here. My God. I'm moving from Michigan where I see 2015 Mustangs and other prototype and camoflauged prototypes all the time to a state where seemingly half of ME members live. WTH.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Whoo!! Texas!!!

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
lol.... same here, same here.....

Actually I'm in between jobs right now and therefore have been spending a lot more time on ME. People probably noticed that I was a member for a year but haven't been really active until a couple months ago. That's because I was writing my dissertation 24/7 before that. I finished my PhD in May and since then have been working two part-time jobs at the University of Michigan. One in the lab I did my research in, in Biomedical Engineering, and another for the Mechanical Engineering department. Buys the time until I find/start my next full-time job. Even with those two part-time jobs though, there is plenty of down time. But hey, it's been a great summer. Good to have a little down time after working really hard for so many years.

I have an offer to do a postdoc at Texas A&M. If I accept it, I'll move down there in about a month. Something I've noticed about this website: there are A LOT of Texans on here. My God. I'm moving from Michigan where I see 2015 Mustangs and other prototype and camoflauged prototypes all the time to a state where seemingly half of ME members live. WTH.

Lol I started out as an ME major, hence my love for cars, working in the auto industry was actually something I wanted to do... turns out ME is really fkin hard though lol and alas just wasn't for me, so I switched majors to accounting. Now I just type numbers into a computer all day and troll forums lol ... something somewhere went horribly wrong.

BTW, I don't think its in my profile but I'm from Houston lol.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Good info, thank you. I think I'll do at least a couple trials of each factor (different tunes), NOT in sequential order, and average them, take standard deviation for error bars. I know it will be more expensive to do so many pulls, but I don't care. I really want good data. Do they give you the raw data, or just a print out of the graph?

Shunc, I wonder how many pulls you'll be able to get in. If you can do multiple trials of each for the same cost, please go for it. If the give you the raw data I will be more than happy to help you analyze it, in fact I'd love to.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thank you sir I appreciate so much, I will be dynoed for an hour so more data for us to see I'll post it here right away.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, to be 100% clear, of all people on here, I know you know how a dyno works, much much much better than me. I'm trying to probe that brain of yours for info because you're being super helpful. I'm really looking forward to working with you and Grabber and hopefully we can learn a lot about these tunes that people here haven't discussed before! This should be a great learning experience for all of us, I'm really excited.

Shunc... you should get in on this too.
Sorry guys just got out of work and yes I will definitely be on this. I will have an hour for dyno so this is what I will do 3 pulls each Mpt, steeda and stock..

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
To get the raw data of the car datalog it for each run. It gets the folks who want data to look at data, plus you can ship the logs off to your tuners to see if more power can be found.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
To get the raw data of the car datalog it for each run. It gets the folks who want data to look at data, plus you can ship the logs off to your tuners to see if more power can be found.
Now this is the problem since I never data log a car before, can I just tell them that I want it data log as well while it's on the dyno? Or I have to do it myself with a computer?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Now this is the problem since I never data log a car before, can I just tell them that I want it data log as well while it's on the dyno? Or I have to do it myself with a computer?

Shoot mpt an email asking what pids they want, load livelink2 on a laptop connect your sct to the computer and the car. From there it's just a matter of hitting go. Save log and repeat.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Shoot mpt an email asking what pids they want, load livelink2 on a laptop connect your sct to the computer and the car. From there it's just a matter of hitting go. Save log and repeat.
Okay cool thanks I will do this..

Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep, that datalog will be great. In addition, ask your dyno guys if they can give you s file of the raw dyno data. This would be a spreadsheet or a text file that the dyno graph is generated from. It will contain RPMs and the corresponding HPs and torques. Thanks! Hope it's not much trouble.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol I started out as an ME major, hence my love for cars, working in the auto industry was actually something I wanted to do... turns out ME is really fkin hard though lol and alas just wasn't for me, so I switched majors to accounting. Now I just type numbers into a computer all day and troll forums lol ... something somewhere went horribly wrong.

BTW, I don't think its in my profile but I'm from Houston lol.
Nice, yeah I got my bachelor's in mechanical engineering and switched to biomedical engineering for grad school. Did an internship at Ford R&D when I was an undergrad, worked in diesel power train controls. Love cars, always was mechanically mindedand analytical, but I really like the biomedical applications too, so I got into making medical devices. My research is in optical instruments for cancer diagnosis.

Sweet that you're in Houston, my girlfriend lives there. That's why I looked for jobs in Texas. A&M is couple hours away, not bad compared to Michigan. I'll send you a PM next time I'm in town.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, that datalog will be great. In addition, ask your dyno guys if they can give you s file of the raw dyno data. This would be a spreadsheet or a text file that the dyno graph is generated from. It will contain RPMs and the corresponding HPs and torques. Thanks! Hope it's not much trouble.

No not at all and I'm planning on getting them anyway I will post it here. Thanks for the help and your knowledge is much appreciated.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Practice before hand lol, don't waste your hour.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Stock manual 261 at the wheels.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Stock manual 261 at the wheels.
I'll be happpy if I could get 270 with my mod and tune but will see tomorrow.. I saw a guy on you tube got into 301 with just Cai with no tune. I don't know how reliable dyno is but at least I will get a guesstimate hp.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I'll be happpy if I could get 270 with my mod and tune but will see tomorrow.. I saw a guy on you tube got into 301 with just Cai with no tune. I don't know how reliable dyno is but at least I will get a guesstimate hp.

You're auto trans, right? I would be happy with 270-280! Factor in the 15%~ you lose versus manual and you'd be over 300! Unless I totally am messing up the math again... God I just can't understand that s--t
Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

The dyno operator can flub the numbers and inflate or deflate them at will.

A dyno is a good tuning tool. So it is good to have a baseline and then dyno after to see the improvement.

So many variable can skew the numbers up or down like temp, dyno operator, strapping the car down too much, under inflated tires......list goes on.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
The dyno operator can flub the numbers and inflate or deflate them at will.

A dyno is a good tuning tool. So it is good to have a baseline and then dyno after to see the improvement.

So many variable can skew the numbers up or down like temp, dyno operator, strapping the car down too much, under inflated tires......list goes on.
Yes, that's exactly why I asked Grabber to do a stock tune pull as well. Their results don't mean much unless we have a base measurement to compare to. Same day, same dyno operator, same mods.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly why I asked Grabber to do a stock tune pull as well. Their results don't mean much unless we have a base measurement to compare to. Same day, same dyno operator, same mods.

This is what I'm going to do tomorrow morning at 9:30 perfect temp and it will be around 70, first two pulls will be my Mpt and 2 pulls stock. I decided not to include my steeda since it's weak and I don't use it at all I emailed steeda for a week now and see if they could send me a revise tune but no response but oh well I'm happy with my Mpt and don't think will be using another tune.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is what I'm going to do tomorrow morning at 9:30 perfect temp and it will be around 70, first two pulls will be my Mpt and 2 pulls stock. I decided not to include my steeda since it's weak and I don't use it at all I emailed steeda for a week now and see if they could send me a revise tune but no response but oh well I'm happy with my Mpt and don't think will be using another tune.

That's cool. Do you think you'll have enough time to do three pulls of each tune instead of two? Reason is that Voltwings said it takes at least one pull for each tune to set, so if you do three pulls we'll have two pulls of usable data, so that we can average them. I don't want you to do that if it's going to cost you more though. Basically, the more pulls you can do the better.

Voltwings - does that sounds right?

As for data collection, you'll need to do the data log with your tuner that you already mentioned, and the other thing is the data from the dyno (table of RPMs, HPs, and torques) that you'll have to ask the dyno guy for. It will be a spreadsheet or a text file. If he asks you why, say you want to dig into the data to calculate area under the curve and compare between your tunes and compare it to your data logs that you took.

All make sense? Let me know if you have any questions. Me, you, and Voltwings can exchange email addresses by PM to share the raw data and we can work on it over the weekend. You could post the regular dyno graphs that you get right here tomorrow though, I'm sure a lot of people are anxious to see.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's cool. Do you think you'll have enough time to do three pulls of each tune instead of two? Reason is that Voltwings said it takes at least one pull for each tune to set, so if you do three pulls we'll have two pulls of usable data, so that we can average them. I don't want you to do that if it's going to cost you more though. Basically, the more pulls you can do the better.

Voltwings - does that sounds right?

As for data collection, you'll need to do the data log with your tuner that you already mentioned, and the other thing is the data from the dyno (table of RPMs, HPs, and torques) that you'll have to ask the dyno guy for. It will be a spreadsheet or a text file. If he asks you why, say you want to dig into the data to calculate area under the curve and compare between your tunes and compare it to your data logs that you took.

All make sense? Let me know if you have any questions. Me, you, and Voltwings can exchange email addresses by PM to share the raw data and we can work on it over the weekend. You could post the regular dyno graphs that you get right here tomorrow though, I'm sure a lot of people are anxious to see.

I will try to do 3 pulls should be in an hour spun and definitely will ask for the sheet as for dati log I dont know if I can do that I haven't downloaded it to my computer. Maybe we'll try now and see I will grab my tuner to get the serial number. Does it really matter though to data log?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Downloaded the sct live link and sct updater and for some reason my sct updater would not open, I just bought a new computer so that's why I have to download the sct again. I want to update my handheld since it's been a while since I used them.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

It keeps saying connect programming tool and click OK.. Anybody know how to work this out?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

No, I have never done data logging before. Never tuned.

Personally I was more interested in digging into the dyno data than the data log. Voltwings suggested doing the data log too so that we could look at things like spark timing and compare how the didn't tuners tune, and how that relates to dyno results. That would be interesting, but it's not critical.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, I have never done data logging before. Never tuned.

Personally I was more interested in digging into the dyno data than the data log. Voltwings suggested doing the data log too so that we could look at things like spark timing and compare how the didn't tuners tune, and how that relates to dyno results. That would be interesting, but it's not critical.

Ok yeah I'm having trouble with my sct downloaded for some reason it won't open I might just get the graph and not data log if that works for you guys and I will call sct and see if they can help me figure this out.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I might just get the graph and not data log
I want to make absolutely sure you understand about the dyno. Ok, forget the data log with sct, I'm just talking about the dyno here. Only the graph will not do me and Voltwings any good. We need the numbers that make up that graph. It will be a file that the guy will have to give you, he'd probably email it. Or you should take a USB thumb drive with you so he can load it on there.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want to make absolutely sure you understand about the dyno. Ok, forget the data log with sct, I'm just talking about the dyno here. Only the graph will not do me and Voltwings any good. We need the numbers that make up that graph. It will be a file that the guy will have to give you, he'd probably email it. Or you should take a USB thumb drive with you so he can load it on there.

Yes I will have him email it to me and also I will bring my USB to save it there as well. Pm me your email and Voltwings too so I can send it. I got it now get all the data and numbers that make up the graph.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the vehicle datalogs would have been nice, but if you cant its no big deal man. Email PM'd.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Email PM'd. Don't forget to have fun!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Email PM'd. Don't forget to have fun!

Thank you guys. I'm super excited for this one.

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Yeah, the vehicle datalogs would have been nice, but if you cant its no big deal man. Email PM'd.
I brought my laptop with me I'll have them do the datalog hopefully they know.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Good luck and in for some numbers.

Are you running Windows 8.1? I heard that sometimes doesn't work with the datalogs.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang