Dyno time - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Dyno time

This Thursday I will be having my car dynoed to see where I'm at hp wise.. Where should I start first stock tune or my Mpt and steeda tune and what's your guess on my numbers? My bolt on is below..

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Manual 280ish,auto 270ish.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Manual 280ish,auto 270ish.
Thanks sadly its auto.. Would love to have a manual since it was how I learn how to drive. No auto in the philippines only manual but my wife said auto so auto it is.. 270 hp would be good enough for me..

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
This Thursday I will be having my car dynoed to see where I'm at hp wise.. Where should I start first stock tune or my Mpt and steeda tune and what's your guess on my numbers? My bolt on is below..

Borla, Mac, Ford racing, mpt 600 to the wheels easy I would try it as is, everything has been working together good for you. So try as is first then change it up
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Borla, Mac, Ford racing, mpt 600 to the wheels easy I would try it as is, everything has been working together good for you. So try as is first then change it up
Thanks bigshow14 as always.. I will try my Mpt first then stock then steeda.. 600 to the wheels hahaha wishful thinking..

Old 08-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Thanks bigshow14 as always.. I will try my Mpt first then stock then steeda.. 600 to the wheels hahaha wishful thinking..

You will be surprised of the results, are you on a 93 tune
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
You will be surprised of the results, are you on a 93 tune
Yup 93... The only octane I use.. I'm pretty much done with my mod performance wise so might as well see the numbers..

Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I think you'll make atleast 275 to the wheels, maybe 280. If it was manual i would say 290-300
Excited to see what you get since we have pretty much the same set up
My headers will be here by the weekend. After seeing your ceramics I need them

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I think you'll make atleast 275 to the wheels, maybe 280. If it was manual i would say 290-300
Excited to see what you get since we have pretty much the same set up
My headers will be here by the weekend. After seeing your ceramics I need them

I will post on here right away.. Called the shop and hoping for tomorrow but they're packed so wait till Thursday.. I'm very impress with the ceramic by the way on the way home after the show pass through new York and traffic is horrible. How do you drive your stang there.? I got stuck for hours.. That will be nice if I got those numbers you mentioned.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will post on here right away.. Called the shop and hoping for tomorrow but they're packed so wait till Thursday.. I'm very impress with the ceramic by the way on the way home after the show pass through new York and traffic is horrible. How do you drive your stang there.? I got stuck for hours.. That will be nice if I got those numbers you mentioned.

We got stuck for hours too... Made it down in 2 hours, back up took 4 and a half. The bridges were just so jammed up.... Roads were torn up... Pot holes and rocks flying everywhere... It's not bad like that on LI. They fixed the roads quick after this winter being so bad. It really sucks in the winter here...

Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We got stuck for hours too... Made it down in 2 hours, back up took 4 and a half. The bridges were just so jammed up.... Roads were torn up... Pot holes and rocks flying everywhere... It's not bad like that on LI. They fixed the roads quick after this winter being so bad. It really sucks in the winter here...

Thats alright just keep that grabber shining at all times.. Or don't drive it at all in the snow lol.. Use the Jeep hahaha will see if she lets you..

Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats alright just keep that grabber shining at all times.. Or don't drive it at all in the snow lol.. Use the Jeep hahaha will see if she lets you..

Oh god Hahahaha I refuse to drive it until it's not brand new anymore. I've driven it once or twice so far. It's a surprisingly smooth ride. It will be amazing in the snow.
She can't drive the 'stang she's too scared. It's too fast for her

Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
So before slapping it onto the rollers which tune are you liking best right now?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just remember, Power under the curve > Peak numbers. The highest HP isnt always the fastest.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Just remember, Power under the curve > Peak numbers. The highest HP isnt always the fastest.
+1

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh god Hahahaha I refuse to drive it until it's not brand new anymore. I've driven it once or twice so far. It's a surprisingly smooth ride. It will be amazing in the snow.
She can't drive the 'stang she's too scared. It's too fast for her

Lol... Take good care of her she's a keeper.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
So before slapping it onto the rollers which tune are you liking best right now?
I use my Mpt all the time since I can feel it more than my steeda. So I'll do that first.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll post it here once I get the numbers and let me know what you think since I am not familiar with the graph.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll post it here once I get the numbers and let me know what you think since I am not familiar with the graph.

Have them overlay the graphs, that will be your best bet.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have them overlay the graphs, that will be your best bet.
Do you mind to explain this more to me whats overlay the graphs so I know what to tell them when I get there. Thanks

Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you mind to explain this more to me whats overlay the graphs so I know what to tell them when I get there. Thanks

They'll take your various Dyno pulls (remember which is which) and basically put them all on 1 sheet for you. It will basically let you compare the power each tune makes at various RPMs. Since the graphs are usually a little wavy, it may not be an exact science if the difference is only a few whp, but it should give you an idea.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hey, question. Do the measurements get affected by doing more pulls? It's hard to say what I'm trying to say... Will running the engine hard to do the first couple pulls cause the third pull to be affected, for example? Like because of engine heating?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm a very data-driven person. If/when I go to the dyno, I'm going to try to do the most scientifically valid experimentation I can. Drift would affect my data analysis. How much of an affect would drift have, and is there a way I can normalize for it? Maybe by running multiple samples of each test in random order?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Not really on an all motor car, actually, when i dynod my highest run was my second pull (and this is not uncommon). Hell, i've tuned several boosted cars on the dyno and we havent really seen any degrade in performance, and the only brakes they get between pulls is the few minutes it takes to adjust the map.

Even if you did lose HP, it would be 2-3 at a time, maybe as much as 5 or something, you wouldnt be dropping 10-15 whp after every pull.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not really on an all motor car, actually, when i dynod my highest run was my second pull (and this is not uncommon). Hell, i've tuned several boosted cars on the dyno and we havent really seen any degrade in performance, and the only brakes they get between pulls is the few minutes it takes to adjust the map.

Even if you did lose HP, it would be 2-3 at a time, maybe as much as 5 or something, you wouldnt be dropping 10-15 whp after every pull.
Good info, thank you. I think I'll do at least a couple trials of each factor (different tunes), NOT in sequential order, and average them, take standard deviation for error bars. I know it will be more expensive to do so many pulls, but I don't care. I really want good data. Do they give you the raw data, or just a print out of the graph?

Shunc, I wonder how many pulls you'll be able to get in. If you can do multiple trials of each for the same cost, please go for it. If the give you the raw data I will be more than happy to help you analyze it, in fact I'd love to.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Good info, thank you. I think I'll do at least a couple trials of each factor (different tunes), NOT in sequential order, and average them, take standard deviation for error bars. I know it will be more expensive to do so many pulls, but I don't care. I really want good data. Do they give you the raw data, or just a print out of the graph?

Shunc, I wonder how many pulls you'll be able to get in. If you can do multiple trials of each for the same cost, please go for it. If the give you the raw data I will be more than happy to help you analyze it, in fact I'd love to.

I'll take you up on the offer to analyze data when I go for the dyno! Hoping to get the headers and install them and get the updated tunes in and set up a dyno appt. for next weekend. It will be my first time dyno'ing, so any advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll take you up on the offer to analyze data when I go for the dyno! Hoping to get the headers and install them and get the updated tunes in and set up a dyno appt. for next weekend. It will be my first time dyno'ing, so any advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated
Absolutely. I will never turn down data. I have an engineering PhD, I thrive on data... it makes me happy!

And now I have branded myself as nerd. Can't hide behind the internet anymore.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by Raw data?

Also, it takes 1-2 pulls for a tune to "set." The computer analyzes and learns a lot of the information at WOT, so it would not be beneficial to load a tune / do a pull, load anothe tune / do a pull ... you will want 2-4 pulls on each map for a good comparison. Assuming i understood your "nonsequential order" comment correctly.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by Raw data?
By "raw data" I mean can they give me a spreadsheet or text file that has a table of the actual numbers. Like all the RPMs and all the corresponding HPs/TQs. Not just a printout of the graph. If it's just a printout of the graph, I rescind my offer to analyze shunc's and Grabber's data, since it's impossible to analyze data without having the raw data.

Quote:
Also, it takes 1-2 pulls for a tune to "set." The computer analyzes and learns a lot of the information at WOT, so it would not be beneficial to load a tune / do a pull, load anothe tune / do a pull ... you will want 2-4 pulls on each map for a good comparison. Assuming i understood your "nonsequential order" comment correctly.
Thank you, this is very important. You understood me correctly. However, I could then do the 2-4 pulls on each map as a group, then sequentially do my multiple trials in random order, correct? Only problem is that it would a s--t ton of pulls. For example, let's say I had three tunes to test: stock, Steeda, BAMA. Let's say I want to do 3 pulls on each map to allow it to set like you said. And let's say I want to do 2 trials of each tune. Here is an example order for that experiment:

Stock pull 1, trial 1
Stock pull 2, trial 1
Stock pull 3, trial 1

Steeda pull 1, trial 1
Steeda pull 2, trial 1
Steeda pull 3, trial 1

BAMA pull 1, trial 1
BAMA pull 2, trial 1
BAMA pull 3, trial 1

Steeda pull 1, trial 2
Steeda pull 2, trial 2
Steeda pull 3, trial 2

BAMA pull 1, trial 2
BAMA pull 2, trial 2
BAMA pull 3, trial 2

Stock pull 1, trial 2
Stock pull 2, trial 2
Stock pull 3, trial 2

So what you're saying is that of the 3 pulls in each group, I can only use the third pull because the tune was "setting" in the first two pulls?

That's 18 pulls I need to run, and I can only use the data from 6 of them. Holy smoke.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

*in my experience* lol, maybe i should qualify my statement. I believe all the numbers will be fairly close, but again, the "setting" is something that happens. To be honest, i feel your testing may be excessive, since the Delta will not be very large. I imagine there wont even be a 10 whp difference between the highest and lowest hp on the same tune.

You could probably get by with just the 9 pulls, and analyze data from the last 2. When i say the tune settles i mean it learns its fuel and spark targets, cam targets, things like that, and really just kinda smoothes itself out. If you datalog your runs and arent comfortable going through the logs, that is something i can help you with, and honestly enjoy doing. Can basically compare spark / fueling for each log, and see if/what the car has changed per pull.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
*in my experience* lol, maybe i should qualify my statement. I believe all the numbers will be fairly close, but again, the "setting" is something that happens. To be honest, i feel your testing may be excessive, since the Delta will not be very large. I imagine there wont even be a 10 whp difference between the highest and lowest hp on the same tune.

You could probably get by with just the 9 pulls, and analyze data from the last 2. When i say the tune settles i mean it learns its fuel and spark targets, cam targets, things like that, and really just kinda smoothes itself out. If you datalog your runs and arent comfortable going through the logs, that is something i can help you with, and honestly enjoy doing. Can basically compare spark / fueling for each log, and see if/what the car has changed per pull.
Sounds great. Yes, we could do the first 9 pulls and analyze data from the last 2 pulls of each group, assuming that the tune has set enough after the first.

And my first question about the raw data? This is something that the dyno guys will be able to provide me?

Oh yes, I would want to datalog the runs too, that would be awesome! Could use your help to analyze. I really want to learn a lot more about engine tuning and the nitty-gritty technical stuff. Best way to learn is by doing.

Shunc and Grabber - would you guys be willing to datalog while you do your dyno runs and send me and Voltwings your data? Of course I will do this on my own car soon enough, but like I said, the more data the better.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds great. Yes, we could do the first 9 pulls and analyze data from the last 2 pulls of each group, assuming that the tune has set enough after the first.

And my first question about the raw data? This is something that the dyno guys will be able to provide me?

Oh yes, I would want to datalog the runs too, that would be awesome! Could use your help to analyze. I really want to learn a lot more about engine tuning and the nitty-gritty technical stuff. Best way to learn is by doing.

Shunc and Grabber - would you guys be willing to datalog while you do your dyno runs and send me and Voltwings your data? Of course I will do this on my own car soon enough, but like I said, the more data the better.
Sure, just let me know how to do it before I go and I'll do it!
What I'm taking from this is:
MPT tune
pull 1
pull 2
pull 3
switch to Bama
pull 1
pull 2
pull 3
correct?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sure, just let me know how to do it before I go and I'll do it!
What I'm taking from this is:
MPT tune
pull 1
pull 2
pull 3
switch to Bama
pull 1
pull 2
pull 3
correct?
Correct. If you have time leftover can you also do stock? Of course we know that MPT and Bama should both be better than stock, but this would tell us by HOW MUCH (and not just take their word for it). Since you have a bunch of other mods on your car, the stock measurement is necessary. In experimentation this is called the "control" measurement.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Sure thing. I should be able to get those in an hour right? Trying to find a dyno priced by time, $100/hr. , rather than $75 for three pulls. Looking into good ones locally on Long Island now, the one by me is run by a dirtbag
Old 08-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Sure thing. I should be able to get those in an hour right? Trying to find a dyno priced by time, $100/hr. , rather than $75 for three pulls. Looking into good ones locally on Long Island now, the one by me is run by a dirtbag
I've never heard of a dyno displaying the raw data, but i have also never asked. Likely something i would ask when calling around for quotes.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've never heard of a dyno displaying the raw data, but i have also never asked. Likely something i would ask when calling around for quotes.
The data MUST exist, the graph doesn't make itself, there are real numbers behind it that the machine is measuring (not trying to sound like an a$$, I swear). I've analyzed this kind of data in my lab projects for my internal combustion engines class in 2006. The dyno guys probably just don't give it to people because most 99% of people won't care to have it. I bet if you ask them they would give it to you, it doesn't hurt them in any way to provide it. Grabber, you know what to ask right? Just ask them if they can give you a file with a table of the RPMs, horsepower, and torque. I will start looking into places around here in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang