Plastidip spray system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Plastidip spray system

Hey all, so I've been plastidipping a few cars and wheels, emblems, etc. on the side for some $ every now and then, just some friends cars for some mod $ lol.
I've decided to purchase a full spray system for plastidip and start doing professional grade dip jobs for cheap to jump start my nitrous / FI fund
Just wondering - How many of y'all love/hate dipped cars? Is it big in your area? It's a little popular among the ricer crowd here but IK people are starting to dip their 'stangs pretty nice.
I was thinking of charging $400 a full car and $100 a set of 4 wheels and $25 an emblem

What do you guys think of the idea/prices? I'll post up some pics of what I've done with just rattle cans!
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
IDK dude. Plasti dip is just plasti dip. I did this my first try for only $7 and I've never really sprayed much paint in my days.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408579818.391208.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	612.1 KB
ID:	163939

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
IDK dude. Plasti dip is just plasti dip. I did this my first try for only $7 and I've never really sprayed much paint in my days.
Attachment 163939

Maybe it is a bad idea. Maybe I will just get the full spray kit and do mine for the winter to protect the paint.
Shops charge $600-$700 for a full car here on Long Island, which is why I thought it would be a good idea.
I will look a little further into it. Might just do my own and have the spray system if any friends want it done maybe.
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Post up some pics of your plasti-work. At the AM show this weekend, there were a few cars that were flip flop colored (green to purple) but it didn't look like real paint.
Certainly was different.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Maybe it is a bad idea. Maybe I will just get the full spray kit and do mine for the winter to protect the paint.
Shops charge $600-$700 for a full car here on Long Island, which is why I thought it would be a good idea.
I will look a little further into it. Might just do my own and have the spray system if any friends want it done maybe.

shops charge that for paint right not plasti dip

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
shops charge that for paint right not plasti dip

Nope, for Plasti . and that's cheap. It can range anywhere from $500 - $1000 depending onh ow basic to complex you wanna go and the quality of the job.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408581913.781935.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	940.4 KB
ID:	163940Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408581930.299831.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	964.1 KB
ID:	163941Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408581960.955535.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	800.1 KB
ID:	163942Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408581989.886384.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	842.4 KB
ID:	163943Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408582009.491869.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	163944

Wheels and my rear decklid panel. Really pleased with how they came out, looks like matte black paint not plastidip

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408582168.785930.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	163945
Before

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408582189.343773.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	605.7 KB
ID:	163946Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408582202.102288.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	163947

After
We did all the body work on the car ourselves and it dipped it with rattle cans... 37 cans.....

Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The Honda came out really nice for being dark blue and then going bright red with no base coat lol (He wanted to be a cheap azz, its a beater). Clean, sleek, blended. Good lines. Had to do the hood and roof black to cover up the dings we hammered out the hood and did the trunk black to match.
All done with spray cans from home depot (red/black were the only colors they had lololol)
If I can do that with rattle cans, with a full spray system it will be perfect.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Personally I hate Plasti dip. I thought it was a fad that would have passed already.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think it can look good if done right with the spray system. I've done my emblems but I'm actually contemplating doing my car sometime in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
blueprint87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Personally I hate Plasti dip. I thought it was a fad that would have passed already.

This. It just doesn't have the deep, rich color that paint has. It's not for me, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Best of luck grabber, make sure to keep us updated with any projects you do. Those before/after pics are pretty interesting.

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah we will see. I was originally going to do it to protect my paint during the winter.... and then got entranced by all the crazy colors. I do love my Grabber blue though.... especially the color scheme I have going on right now.

I have about $400 in the mod money budget right now....
Just spent almost 8-900 last week on mods lol.....
Maybe I should pace myself a little better....

Front end conversion is my big project. I need about 1k for that.
And S-types. May get those for Christmas though.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I agree, plastidip is a fad that will die soon. That being said, if people are willing to pay you to do it and you can make some extra cash, why not?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #15

Region: Mississippi
I love plastidip, but it isn't big where I live. I think $400 a full car is a good price, but the wheels are a little steep. I dipped all four of my own wheels a couple weeks ago for $20 total. It was super easy. Maybe charge $75?

abbottsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Grabber, I think your plasti dip work looks amazing bro and there is definitely a market for it. What did you use to cover the areas up and cover the trunk emblem up. You live a bit far from Maryland to where I live. Did you wait to peel off the tape when the dip is completely dry or do it after the last spray coat and still a little wet?

You do great work? Did you remove the wheels off your car when dip them? Did you dip the other side of the wheels so no aluminum showed?

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1408635360771.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	163977  
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Grabber, I think your plasti dip work looks amazing bro and there is definitely a market for it. What did you use to cover the areas up and cover the trunk emblem up. You live a bit far from Maryland to where I live. Did you wait to peel off the tape when the dip is completely dry or do it after the last spray coat and still a little wet?

You do great work? Did you remove the wheels off your car when dip them? Did you dip the other side of the wheels so no aluminum showed?

Thank you! I used blue painters tape for the emblem and for the top cut off line for the decklid, and for the bottom and tail lights and rest of the car so it wouldn't spray on it I used a vinyl sign/poster for Broadway my uncle had lying around about 3 ft x 6 ft and stuck it right there to use as a tarp of sorts. The tape the first time I did it was an issue for me. I tried both way, wet it would get flecks everywhere and dry it would pull it off a little. What I did was wait till it was mostly dry, take a plastic knife (one of those "yoshi blades" you see on Tv that are super sharp plastic) and as I lifted the tape I would slowly trim and stick it.

Yes I removed the wheels when I did it, mostly because I was putting new center caps in anyway. It made it so easy I just laid the tire flat and got a perfectly even coat, no drips and no need to worry about hitting the car. I got inside the rims pretty far, didn't do the back because I felt there was no need too, but made sure you could see no silver at all. I put 6-7 coats on so it really has that dark black "matte paint" look. The judge at the AM show actually had to ask me if the wheels were plasti dipped he didn't know what they were and when I said yes he was impressed he said they were the best he had seen that day. When I told him the rear decklid was plastidip too he didn't believe me and I had him touch it and he almost fell over lol.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you! I used blue painters tape for the emblem and for the top cut off line for the decklid, and for the bottom and tail lights and rest of the car so it wouldn't spray on it I used a vinyl sign/poster for Broadway my uncle had lying around about 3 ft x 6 ft and stuck it right there to use as a tarp of sorts. The tape the first time I did it was an issue for me. I tried both way, wet it would get flecks everywhere and dry it would pull it off a little. What I did was wait till it was mostly dry, take a plastic knife (one of those "yoshi blades" you see on Tv that are super sharp plastic) and as I lifted the tape I would slowly trim and stick it.

Yes I removed the wheels when I did it, mostly because I was putting new center caps in anyway. It made it so easy I just laid the tire flat and got a perfectly even coat, no drips and no need to worry about hitting the car. I got inside the rims pretty far, didn't do the back because I felt there was no need too, but made sure you could see no silver at all. I put 6-7 coats on so it really has that dark black "matte paint" look. The judge at the AM show actually had to ask me if the wheels were plasti dipped he didn't know what they were and when I said yes he was impressed he said they were the best he had seen that day. When I told him the rear decklid was plastidip too he didn't believe me and I had him touch it and he almost fell over lol.

Bro, you do great work and really think you have a nitch with it and people will pay to have plati dip done. The wheels look amazing and the rear trunk area looks great too.
I had plasti dip stuff and if you let it completely dry, it pulls other areas up. If you wait too short of time to peel stuff up, that doesn't work either.

Truth is, I suck at plasti dip! Grabber I need your expertise. Lol!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Bro, you do great work and really think you have a nitch with it and people will pay to have plati dip done. The wheels look amazing and the rear trunk area looks great too.
I had plasti dip stuff and if you let it completely dry, it pulls other areas up. If you wait too short of time to peel stuff up, that doesn't work either.

Truth is, I suck at plasti dip! Grabber I need your expertise. Lol!

Not sure if you can tell from this picture

but I left about 1/8 inch extra on top of the decklid so I would have a little room to cut it with the plastic sharp knife and a ruler while it was still a little pliable and it would stick right back down.
The best advice I would give is to just mist lightly the entire area, wait 30 seconds, mist again. You don't have to cover everything the first few times, that way it builds up evenly and looks flat. I literally must have put 15-20 mist coats on each wheel. It naturally fills in the spaces left behind from each coat. When I'm done with the mist coats, I let it dry for a few minutes then mist in any spots I missed or that look uneven. Comes out perfectly flat and clean every time! A lot of people just spray it and they get flecks and bubbles. if you're using the cans, make sure to shake and have a pin or needle with you to clean the nozzle out if it starts not spraying perfectly. The plastidip can clog up the spray hole and you'll get some messed up stuff on it.
The hardest part is deff peeling off..... try the plastic sharp knife (yoshi blade is the one I have) and just go slowly and super carefully. If a little comes out, just cut and push down, no one will notice!
We will be doing my friends girlfriend's car with the spray system once we get my car lowered, new brakes, and headers on it! I have a very, very busy mod schedule lol.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

and if you can see, some of the rear is still blue while some is already black. instead of trying to make the black, just keep misting it will all fall in naturally.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure if you can tell from this picture

but I left about 1/8 inch extra on top of the decklid so I would have a little room to cut it with the plastic sharp knife and a ruler while it was still a little pliable and it would stick right back down.
The best advice I would give is to just mist lightly the entire area, wait 30 seconds, mist again. You don't have to cover everything the first few times, that way it builds up evenly and looks flat. I literally must have put 15-20 mist coats on each wheel. It naturally fills in the spaces left behind from each coat. When I'm done with the mist coats, I let it dry for a few minutes then mist in any spots I missed or that look uneven. Comes out perfectly flat and clean every time! A lot of people just spray it and they get flecks and bubbles. if you're using the cans, make sure to shake and have a pin or needle with you to clean the nozzle out if it starts not spraying perfectly. The plastidip can clog up the spray hole and you'll get some messed up stuff on it.
The hardest part is deff peeling off..... try the plastic sharp knife (yoshi blade is the one I have) and just go slowly and super carefully. If a little comes out, just cut and push down, no one will notice!
We will be doing my friends girlfriend's car with the spray system once we get my car lowered, new brakes, and headers on it! I have a very, very busy mod schedule lol.
Thanks bro. Looks great.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! Really appreciate it! I can't afford new wheels, so for $20 I made my wheels new!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Im gonna do my wheels next as well

Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I did dip my stock wheels. It was OK at first but I grew to hate them. Very tough to clean, flaked off pretty easily and just looked janky.

Much happier with a proper set now. I'm just gonna wash the old ones off and keep them for winter tires when I can't use my Mickey Thompsons.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang