Lowering spring install question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Lowering spring install question

When taking the bolt off the top of the shock without using the spring compressor why does the nut keep turning but not coming off or moving anywhere on the bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
You have to hold the shaft.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Use vice grips and an open end wrench.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Trying that, do I need a vice clamp or what should I use?

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I has the same problem when installing mine, I had to get vice grips put it between the coils in the spring and hold the shaft in place while removing the top bolt

2013 Black 3.7 V6
O/R H pipe
JLT intake
Bama 91R tune
_nathannnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Off to the store to get vice grips.... Breaking out the lanterns gonna be a night install

Old 08-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
When taking the bolt off the top of the shock without using the spring compressor why does the nut keep turning but not coming off or moving anywhere on the bolt?

So your nuts are moving and you want to use a pair of vice grips on your shaft? Can't your wife or girlfriend give you a hand?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Off to the store to get vice grips.... Breaking out the lanterns gonna be a night install

Good luck bro!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

She's at dinner with her parents right now which is where I should be except my car has no front wheels on it. Hopefully with the vice grips I'll be done in an hour or two, got a buddy helping

Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
She's at dinner with her parents right now which is where I should be except my car has no front wheels on it. Hopefully with the vice grips I'll be done in an hour or two, got a buddy helping

I ended up having to use a deep-well socket, a shallow socket, and a 1/4" extension. The shallow socket fits inside the deep-well and holds the shaft. The deep-well turns the nut, the extension is so you can hold the shallow. Getting those things off were a huge pain.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Be patient it will work.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Holy **** that was ridiculous. When we were doing one of the front springs the ball bearings al came out. Had to be so careful putting it in, and the whole assembly is heavy. All in the dark with flash lights. That was a pretty rough install but finally at midnight it is done!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408767046.108821.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	164123

Can't rly see and it will settle once I drive it and be a lot lower

Old 08-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

What ball bearings?
Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You know the circle at the top of the strut? Like where it goes into the tower it's like a ring? Well that seperated and in the ring is a bunch of super tiny metal balls all greased up in a circle

Old 08-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy **** that was ridiculous. When we were doing one of the front springs the ball bearings al came out. Had to be so careful putting it in, and the whole assembly is heavy. All in the dark with flash lights. That was a pretty rough install but finally at midnight it is done!!!
Attachment 164123

Can't rly see and it will settle once I drive it and be a lot lower

Car looks great! Good job Grabber, your hard work really paid off!

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

I want to see more pics grabber, great job though.

I'm thinking the ball bearing is on the strut mount, you might want to replace that.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I want to see more pics grabber, great job though.

I'm thinking the ball bearing is on the strut mount, you might want to replace that.
+1, that's what I read before I had mine done, I'm clumsy and probably would have lost some. Lol

Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Lowering spring install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, that's what I read before I had mine done, I'm clumsy and probably would have lost some. Lol

The first one was fine the second one just separated . It feels fine no squeaks groans shifts or anything. I'll check it out in a week when I go for the alignment. Gonna do the panhard today in a bit once it stops raining! Then I'll post pics

Old 08-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
What springs do you go with? Also, are you talking about the strut mounts falling apart? Seems to happen to a bunch of people.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

SR Performance lowering springs. Got them for $135 at the AM show. They are good quality springs.
And yes, the top of the strut mount fell apart. I just put it back together and held it with one hand while holding a flash light with the other while my friend pushed the brake assembly into it and bolted it and then lined up the bolts through the strut tower and capped them on all while trying to not separate the strut mount LOL. That s--t is heavy man. I am sore today.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
SR Performance lowering springs. Got them for $135 at the AM show. They are good quality springs.
And yes, the top of the strut mount fell apart. I just put it back together and held it with one hand while holding a flash light with the other while my friend pushed the brake assembly into it and bolted it and then lined up the bolts through the strut tower and capped them on all while trying to not separate the strut mount LOL. That s--t is heavy man. I am sore today.
Yikes, glad I got the camber plates. They replace the strut mounts so I just have to yank the whole assembly out and replace it.

I went with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, not as much of a drop but I trust Eibach knows what they're doing. Now if my buddy can free up his schedule I can get some help putting all this stuff on

Looks good though grabber. Take more pictures with something that's not a potatoe
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yikes, glad I got the camber plates. They replace the strut mounts so I just have to yank the whole assembly out and replace it.

I went with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, not as much of a drop but I trust Eibach knows what they're doing. Now if my buddy can free up his schedule I can get some help putting all this stuff on

Looks good though grabber. Take more pictures with something that's not a potatoe
Yeah I had no idea it would fall apart like that. If I had, I would have gotten the plates....
The Eibach's are a great product, they were my choice before I heard good things about the SR and just loved the look the SR drop brings.
You definitely need a buddy's help. It would be basically impossible to do it yourself.

I will once it stops raining! My phone is such a POS....
Old 08-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
+1 my bearings went everywhere. My sr springs are great and you won't be disappointed with them. So license plate lights check, lowering springs check, time for the headers
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
+1 my bearings went everywhere. My sr springs are great and you won't be disappointed with them. So license plate lights check, lowering springs check, time for the headers
Hopefully sometime this week or next weekend. I need my buddy's help and he's moving into school Monday so I gotta wait for him to get a full free day.

As long as I picked the bearings up and put them back in it's ok right? I may be missing 1 or 2 but it feels totally fine driving so I'm not really worried. Hoping these things will settle even lower in a week! Gonna wait a week or 2 to bring it in for an alignment.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hopefully sometime this week or next weekend. I need my buddy's help and he's moving into school Monday so I gotta wait for him to get a full free day.

As long as I picked the bearings up and put them back in it's ok right? I may be missing 1 or 2 but it feels totally fine driving so I'm not really worried. Hoping these things will settle even lower in a week! Gonna wait a week or 2 to bring it in for an alignment.
Just along as the bearing where free of debris and grit. Your car will lower more as you drive it. It took mine about 2-3 days before it looked lowered 11/2" my alignment is still good 8-9k on them
Old 08-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just along as the bearing where free of debris and grit. Your car will lower more as you drive it. It took mine about 2-3 days before it looked lowered 11/2" my alignment is still good 8-9k on them
I'll take it for an alignment sometime next week then! Just wanna be safe. I didn't install my Eibach camber bolts. Should I?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll take it for an alignment sometime next week then! Just wanna be safe. I didn't install my Eibach camber bolts. Should I?
I didn't, and just rotated my tires and they look even. When I installed the panhard bar I put it the same as the stock one. My rear is lined up correctly. I bought the adjustable bar because im sure miles down the road it will be needed.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't, and just rotated my tires and they look even. When I installed the panhard bar I put it the same as the stock one. My rear is lined up correctly. I bought the adjustable bar because im sure miles down the road it will be needed.
Ok cool I'll just sell the bolts and not worried about it. I rotate the tires about every 5k miles anyway. I feel like the panhard bar will be awesome in the long haul, got the BMR adjustable one it's really high quality.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok cool I'll just sell the bolts and not worried about it. I rotate the tires about every 5k miles anyway. I feel like the panhard bar will be awesome in the long haul, got the BMR adjustable one it's really high quality.
If your keeping your car for a few years keep the bolts, you may need them later. I went with the j&m aluminum adj bar. The bmr is great, AM had a good sale on the j&m when I was getting the springs
Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If your keeping your car for a few years keep the bolts, you may need them later. I went with the j&m aluminum adj bar. The bmr is great, AM had a good sale on the j&m when I was getting the springs
Agreed. They're 30 bucks, you might sell them for 20, not worth the bother. Keep em.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'll keep 'em then!
I could have gotten the J&M for $90..... I wanted the SR Performance one which would've been $95/$100, but they've been out of stock for like months. Decided to go all out with the BMR hammertone adj. one and I managed to snag it for just under $130 at the show instead of the $150 price tag on it.
I am so sick of suspension work lol. Going to go put the panhard on after lunch, rain finally stopped. Oh how I wish I had a garage and lift.....
Old 08-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll keep 'em then!
I could have gotten the J&M for $90..... I wanted the SR Performance one which would've been $95/$100, but they've been out of stock for like months. Decided to go all out with the BMR hammertone adj. one and I managed to snag it for just under $130 at the show instead of the $150 price tag on it.
I am so sick of suspension work lol. Going to go put the panhard on after lunch, rain finally stopped. Oh how I wish I had a garage and lift.....
Yea good price, I believe mine was with the code $109. You shouldve caught the panhard bar with the rear springs
Old 08-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408820927.822286.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	701.3 KB
ID:	164143
Cleared up a little, time to finish!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ok! Took her for a quick drive. Deff a lot lower! Feels good no noises or vibrations. Heard a little noise pulling into the driveway after but couldn't replicate it so I'm not worried. Everything looks good! Turns, sharp stops, WOT, handled everything perfect! Alignment looks and feels perfect! Can't wait to see them settled in in a few days! Awesome product by SR, highly recommend!!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408825763.778488.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	847.9 KB
ID:	164147

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408825775.728597.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	952.9 KB
ID:	164148

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408825795.697279.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	850.6 KB
ID:	164149

Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

It's dropped even more today!!! It looks so sick. I will take more pic's once I get my new phone later today, new hi def ultrapixel camera woohoo!

It's really low. It's perfect. I couldn't be happier with these SR Springs.

Is it gonna go even lower!? It hasn't even been 48 hours but I have put about 40-50 miles on since the install.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang