Mustang vs FR-S - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
I owned an FR-S for 1 year prior to trading it in on my GT. If the FR-S was stock it would be a slaughter. However he has made the perfect choice in mods for his car. The E85 tune and UEL header really bring that 2.0l boxer to life. Should put him solidly in the high 13's if he can drive.
With a perfect launch he has a chance. But the auto transmission in the mustang makes it much easier. I wouldn't bet the farm on either car however.

For those above who haven't had the chance to drive one, its a blast. I cannot express in words the joy driving that car brought me. Everything was pin point. The brakes, the transmission, the turn-in. It is such a better drivers car on every level compared to a "stock" Mustang that there are times I want to be driving it again. Then I put my right foot down and do something that the FR-S never could, and that's go somewhere. The damn thing was no faster then Oprah walking by a bakery, and there wasn't really a cheap way to change that either. And after 20 minutes of driving the car everything I said above gets thrown out and replaced with expletives about how much I hated it. It was a track day toy or a short trip car. Commuting in the FR-S was a disaster, and I'm not even that large of a person.

The FR-S was a perfect track car (on a budget). They don't get much better outside of purpose built kit cars or a race spec Miata. But as a daily driver, the car was mediocre. Small, loud, and the build quality was dodgy. I had a popping noise emanating from the trunk (TSB to fix that now), and the weatherstripping on the drivers side was eating itself to death.

I tell you though, had a pretty good factory stereo. Much more clarity then the Shaker in the mustang. But it didn't matter though because above 60mph you couldn't hear it over the road and wind noise lol.

Question did you lease the frs or buy? And did you lose out money when trading it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The FR-S is pathetically slow. I wanted to buy one instead of my 5.0 until I drove one. I knew it would be slow, but not THAT slow. For the love of god. You couldn't pay me to drive one daily.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcansmack View Post
Question did you lease the frs or buy? And did you lose out money when trading it in.

Bought, and I got fleeced on the trade. I snagged an excellent deal on my Mustang though, way below book, so it lessened some of the loss. However I wanted rid of my FR-S so badly that I didn't really care.

It was by far the worst and best decision I've made all year.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bought, and I got fleeced on the trade. I snagged an excellent deal on my Mustang though, way below book, so it lessened some of the loss. However I wanted rid of my FR-S so badly that I didn't really care.

It was by far the worst and best decision I've made all year.

Did you go to the same dealer that you had bought the fr-s from? And did you get a 5.0 or v6

Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you go to the same dealer that you had bought the fr-s from? And did you get a 5.0 or v6

No, different dealer. Bought a 5.0.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Whoops, didn't mean it like that my bad. Wasn't even street racing, under the speed limit entire time. I'll clarify that next time.

Yeah man. So remember no street racing talk allowed. That's why all my racing is done on private enclosed roads. Never ever ever ever done on public roadways. Always on private enclosed roads. I always emphasize that it was a private road because I wouldn't want to give off the wrong impression.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Yeah man. So remember no street racing talk allowed. That's why all my racing is done on private enclosed roads. Never ever ever ever done on public roadways. Always on private enclosed roads. I always emphasize that it was a private road because I wouldn't want to give off the wrong impression.

Your own private closed road? Looking back I think I have only raced on private closed roads too. I burn FR-S's on private closed roads all the time. By the time I hit 60 I am many car lengths ahead. 0-60 for me is just under 5 seconds. For them is like 6 and a half lol.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your own private closed road? Looking back I think I have only raced on private closed roads too. I burn FR-S's on private closed roads all the time. By the time I hit 60 I am many car lengths ahead. 0-60 for me is just under 5 seconds. For them is like 6 and a half lol.
Well bro, that's awesome. Glad you were on a private road and not a public road. That's very dangerous young man.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Get real, they do not do 0-60 in 6.5... It's way slower

Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have never raced a FR-S but they look nice. I did hear they are very slow in a straight line.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The private roads in Mexico are very beautiful. Desert, cacti and whatnot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Holy s--t 7.9 0-60 .... that thing is SLOW
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Lol omg I bet this rental car I have could beat it. It's a Hyundai accent

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind that car was not built to be a straight line acceleration car. It's a cheap road course toy.

The custom builds I've seen of them, that little 2.0L handles boost like a champ. There's some nasty turbo ed ones.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the link for Crawford ' s 450 hp one: The 450 HP Crawford Performance Turbo BRZ - /TUNED: http://youtu.be/oLP-HCcX9as

Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Here's the link for Crawford ' s 450 hp one: The 450 HP Crawford Performance Turbo BRZ - /TUNED: http://youtu.be/oLP-HCcX9as

I have a pretty nasty monster energy brz on forza... just saying

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #52
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Ok am I the only one that caught that he the closed caption reads "it's not every day that subaru releases a new box or engine" when he's actually saying "boxer engine" haha

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409112315.108364.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	164489
Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy s--t 7.9 0-60 .... that thing is SLOW
Even Edmunds has a better time then that lol. 0-60 in the mid to high six second range is accurate. I drove the car for a year. Its not speed demon, but was definitely faster then my 10yr old Focus which it replaced, and the Focus did the 60mph sprint in the high 7 second range.

As slow as it was, the damn thing could drift at like nobodies business. The ice skates for tires surely helped.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, different dealer. Bought a 5.0.

Yea cause I was thinking of trading in my 14 v6 for a 5.0, but don't know of it's worth it or not. Or just wait and trade it in for the new 2015 Stang

Old 08-27-2014, 03:00 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea cause I was thinking of trading in my 14 v6 for a 5.0, but don't know of it's worth it or not. Or just wait and trade it in for the new 2015 Stang

How important is it to you? The 2015 is vastly different, but if you wanted a 2014 V8, now is the time as they are marked way down in price.

You will lose money. How much money depends on the deal you can get on the GT and how much you'll get in trade. Fight for every trade dollar, and get an idea of what your car is worth before going to the dealer.

But from experience, don't do it. Your V6 is already a nice car, give it a couple years for them to work out the kinks of the 2015. I'm not sure what type of loan you have (if any), but if you are upside down in it at all, just keep the car and pay it down before trading it in. Had I been driving a 2014 V6, I would have kept it. But I just couldn't live with the FR-S anymore, and it cost me about $3k all said and done, but the jump from my FR-S to the GT was much bigger then your V6 would be to a GT.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #56
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Go for it....bet dinner and _____

win win situation for both of you.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You will likely get the most car for your dollar if you wait like 20-25k miles before you sell the V6. Your trade-in value at that point probably won't be much lower than it is now. You already took the big hit of driving it off the lot... Don't take that hit just to turn around and ditch the car.

That being said, I don't know what a 5.0 would be worth to you. But chances are it wouldn't be too worth it otherwise you would have bought one straightaway instead of a V6.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #58
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Smack,

it's up to you for the worth it value but Ford charges 5-6K for the V8 and you will have (guess) 3-4K depreciation. I would prefer the V8 but it wasn't worth 5-6K to me and I could have but just didn't see enough value in it. I've driven the V8 for good rides and it is noticeably better (Torque!!!!) but only occasionally have regrets.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep in mind that car was not built to be a straight line acceleration car. It's a cheap road course toy.

This. I took my 450 whp 5.0 with minor suspension work to Texas World speedway for a track weekend and an instructor had a bone stock BR-z. TWS is a FAST track, i was easily hitting 150+ on the front straight, and comfortably over 100 on some of the shorter ones... i had to point that instructor by several times. Granted, i am a novice, and he is an instructor, but its amazing how little power you actually need on track with a proper set up.

NOTHING could touch me on the first half of the track, where the horsepower clearly had an advantage, but the second half was real tight and i would get caught by all sorts of cars with half (if even) my horsepower... a mini, integra, miata, BR-z. The BR-z / FR-s was never intended to be a straight line car, but yes, in a straight line it is SLOW.

I think its also because people dont know how to drive it though. That car makes peak power at redline, and most people just arent comfortable ragging an engine out to 8k rpms ... i imagine most people are trying to treat it like your typical engine where ~4k rpms is the meat of your power band, but it just isnt.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed. It's an apples to oranges debate. Two cars built for two different things.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
This. I took my 450 whp 5.0 with minor suspension work to Texas World speedway for a track weekend and an instructor had a bone stock BR-z. TWS is a FAST track, i was easily hitting 150+ on the front straight, and comfortably over 100 on some of the shorter ones... i had to point that instructor by several times. Granted, i am a novice, and he is an instructor, but its amazing how little power you actually need on track with a proper set up.

NOTHING could touch me on the first half of the track, where the horsepower clearly had an advantage, but the second half was real tight and i would get caught by all sorts of cars with half (if even) my horsepower... a mini, integra, miata, BR-z. The BR-z / FR-s was never intended to be a straight line car, but yes, in a straight line it is SLOW.

I think its also because people dont know how to drive it though. That car makes peak power at redline, and most people just arent comfortable ragging an engine out to 8k rpms ... i imagine most people are trying to treat it like your typical engine where ~4k rpms is the meat of your power band, but it just isnt.

A bone stock 5.0 should comfortably trash all of those cars, especially on a "fast track". Don't believe me?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
A bone stock 5.0 should comfortably trash all of those cars, especially on a "fast track". Don't believe me?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

Lol kid, get out there and do it then come talk to me. Like i said, i am a novice and he was an instructor that has been doing this for 20+ years. 90% of driving is confidence, and dropping the hammer out of a corner in a 450 whp mustang, on a track you have never been on, in a type of driving you have never done before is a lot more nerve racking than in a 2700 lb, 170 whp Fr-s.

I also passed a BMW m3 and more than a handful of porches / corvettes. Just because the magazine says your car is fast doesnt mean you are. Some people also tend to take it slightly easier since thats the car they have to drive home as well, but my point remains the same. That car, in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, will do wonders on a track.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
The private roads in Mexico are very beautiful. Desert, cacti and whatnot.

Nice to know. Never notice myself, always hauling *** in first place so everything's a blur
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol kid, get out there and do it then come talk to me. Like i said, i am a novice and he was an instructor that has been doing this for 20+ years. 90% of driving is confidence, and dropping the hammer out of a corner in a 450 whp mustang, on a track you have never been on, in a type of driving you have never done before is a lot more nerve racking than in a 2700 lb, 170 whp Fr-s.

I also passed a BMW m3 and more than a handful of porches / corvettes. Just because the magazine says your car is fast doesnt mean you are. Some people also tend to take it slightly easier since thats the car they have to drive home as well, but my point remains the same. That car, in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, will do wonders on a track.

I'm just saying that your car should run laps around them. My point is that you will be much faster in your car than you would in a Toyobaru. I'm not talking **** to you for your lack of experience.

Also, I may not have done it in your car, but I've raced in a much faster car at MSRH... And I got lapped by spec racer fords. Does that mean that the spec racer fords are hot ****? Hell no, they are slow as balls compared to the heavily modified M3 track car I was racing in. The same way the BRZ is slow compared to your Mustang.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm just saying that your car should run laps around them. My point is that you will be much faster in your car than you would in a Toyobaru. I'm not talking **** to you for your lack of experience.

Also, I may not have done it in your car, but I've raced in a much faster car at MSRH... And I got lapped by spec racer fords. Does that mean that the spec racer fords are hot ****? Hell no, they are slow as balls compared to the heavily modified M3 track car I was racing in. The same way the BRZ is slow compared to your Mustang.

Ahh, excuse me. I get a little hot headed, and the fact that you pulled out lightening laps lead me to believe you've never done any sort of driving like this (keep in mind also, lightening lap is stock cars, not stuff thats caged / prepped like some of the cars that passed me). I actually pulled my whole Cobra jet top end and sold it to pay for dedicated track tires / rims. I had way too much power and not nearly enough grip, hoping it's a little more the other way around the next time i visit that track.

/threadjack.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahh, excuse me. I get a little hot headed, and the fact that you pulled out lightening laps lead me to believe you've never done any sort of driving like this (keep in mind also, lightening lap is stock cars, not stuff thats caged / prepped like some of the cars that passed me). I actually pulled my whole Cobra jet top end and sold it to pay for dedicated track tires / rims. I had way too much power and not nearly enough grip, hoping it's a little more the other way around the next time i visit that track.

/threadjack.

Good luck on your next outing. Consider investing in a sim racing set-up... You can learn a lot. $200 for a PS3 and Gran Turismo 6 and then $350 for a Logitech G27 and stand is a good entry level set-up without being to build your own PC. Bonus points if you already have a nice computer. The reason I say this is because sim racing (we are not talking need for speed here) is highly representative of real-life racing an it will teach you so, so much about how to handle your car on the track. You can actually buy a 5.0 in the game for a close approximation. Other than that, it will teach you the basics like racing lines, when and how to brake, that for most amateur drivers it's better to be slow into a turn and fast out, etc. $550 is not very much to spend when you compare stuff like fuel, tire, maintenance, and track day/membership fees.

Not that I'm insisting that you're a bad driver, just sharing an experience of something that helped me immensely.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'd get GT5 first, 6 is terrible. Not much difference in the physics but the interface is total garbage vs 5 or 4. I liked 4 the best (3-6), but wouldn't suggest the PS2 since 90% of people have LCD or better TVs now.

I couldn't speculate on the modified 86GT, but after I went to the strip and ran a 14.6 best, and saw a janky ~97 Honda civic run low 11s, but no 86s run I searched it. Google provided me with a lot of people very happy with 15s on their 86s. With an auto, and appropriate tire pressure following the driving techniques suggested early (page 2 maybe?) you should be fine.

Just for LOLs, I believe the 86 has the same tires they put on the Prius. Will have to fact check that, but I believe I read that. Also, if anyone is looking at them do NOT get the first year. They crapped out on a lot of things. The original radio on the Scion model (the one I test drove) looked straight out of an 80s Camry. "We use a basic radio to keep the price down, and because we know our consumers will be replacing them." Is what I was told. For 26k, it WAS missing a lot of fit and finish. Haven't been in a 14+.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I'd get GT5 first, 6 is terrible. Not much difference in the physics but the interface is total garbage vs 5 or 4. I liked 4 the best (3-6), but wouldn't suggest the PS2 since 90% of people have LCD or better TVs now.

I couldn't speculate on the modified 86GT, but after I went to the strip and ran a 14.6 best, and saw a janky ~97 Honda civic run low 11s, but no 86s run I searched it. Google provided me with a lot of people very happy with 15s on their 86s. With an auto, and appropriate tire pressure following the driving techniques suggested early (page 2 maybe?) you should be fine.

Just for LOLs, I believe the 86 has the same tires they put on the Prius. Will have to fact check that, but I believe I read that. Also, if anyone is looking at them do NOT get the first year. They crapped out on a lot of things. The original radio on the Scion model (the one I test drove) looked straight out of an 80s Camry. "We use a basic radio to keep the price down, and because we know our consumers will be replacing them." Is what I was told. For 26k, it WAS missing a lot of fit and finish. Haven't been in a 14+.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

I really like 6, just saying... There are way better sims out there but they're on the PC so that's a totally different animal.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I really like 6, just saying... There are way better sims out there but they're on the PC so that's a totally different animal.

I liked the Boss and GT500, but being FORCED to buy a certain car, and the lack of freedom kept pulling the controller towards the TV screen.

We actually made a comprehensive list of what angered us. It's a big list.

Here is the link: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...dont-know.html

Number 5. The exact Prius tire...lol. Since then, I heard they have ZERO plans for turbo or convertible. Also, I read the Subaru version is actually faster than the Scion, if anyone is interested in the 86.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I liked the Boss and GT500, but being FORCED to buy a certain car, and the lack of freedom kept pulling the controller towards the TV screen.

We actually made a comprehensive list of what angered us. It's a big list.

Here is the link: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...dont-know.html

Number 5. The exact Prius tire...lol. Since then, I heard they have ZERO plans for turbo or convertible. Also, I read the Subaru version is actually faster than the Scion, if anyone is interested in the 86.

The suspension is tuned slightly differently in the FR-S vs BR-z. The fr-s is a little more oversteer drift happy whereas the BR-Z is overall more balanced. I'd take the br-z simply because I think Scion is a ******y brand. Plus the interior options are a bit better for the Suby

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang