Mustang vs FR-S - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'm going to have to get in a 2014+ of each. I love driving my car into dealers, people are always happy to let me test drive things lol.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Suspension differences are minor with the 2015 models. They tuned out some of the oversteer with the FR-S. Both cars are made on the same assembly line, build quality will be identical among the twins. Even the interiors are mostly the same now, though there wasn't much difference before.

Toyota originally wanted the FR-S to be the more "fun" of the twins, and chose spring rates that were a little more tail happy. This resulted in plenty of rookie drivers hurtling off race tracks and roadways facing the wrong way. My insurance rates went up regularly as more and more of these cars were wrecked. So they wised up and balanced out the spring rates.

There are actually three "twins". The Toyota GT86 is sold everywhere but the US, where Scion carries the car. The GT86, the FR-S, and the BRZ all had different spring rates, with the GT86 having the softest rear rates, then the BRZ and then the FR-S. Car reviewers usually state that the BRZ is more balanced, but the FRS is more "fun".

Scion certainly has less of a brand image then Subaru, however FR-S customers seem to be treated much better with regards to Toyota service centers and aftermarket parts. I've heard countless horror stories of voided warranties at Subaru dealers and BRZ's. This is probably related to Subaru having plenty of experience with modified WRX's and STI's.

As for the tires, they are Michalin Primacy HP tires. Classified as a Summer touring tire, they are available on European market Prius's with the performance package (yes, overseas the Prius has a performance package lol). US bound Prius's do not come with the same tires and there is not a performance package option in the states.

The tires are not cheap, but are low rolling resistance tires with not much lateral grip. .89 on the skidpad with stock rubber, this jumps well into the .95 range with even a modest tire upgrade.
Having driven one I agreed with their reasoning for the tire choice. In a performance situation, these tires allow an inexperienced driver to entertain themselves with all facets of vehicle control whilst still being at reasonable speeds. As driver skill improves, grippier tires can be fitted. Some people don't get this, but the car is marketed to young novice drivers new to traditional sports cars. Emphasis is placed on driver control and less on outright performance.

But the bottom line is that the the twins are budget sports cars, and compromises had to be made. You get exactly what you need...a stiff capable chassis with good suspension, a torsion differential and a fantastic 6 speed transmission. Everything else is left up to the owner if they want improvements. The engine though anemic from the factory, is overbuilt and readily handles boost. Even the fuel system has extra capacity. There are tuners hitting almost 300whp on the stock fuel system with pump gas.

But if you are not into Tuner cars then don't even consider a twin. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. Now if I could stick a Coyote V8 in there.....YES PLEASE!
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Suspension differences are minor with the 2015 models. They tuned out some of the oversteer with the FR-S. Both cars are made on the same assembly line, build quality will be identical among the twins. Even the interiors are mostly the same now, though there wasn't much difference before.

Toyota originally wanted the FR-S to be the more "fun" of the twins, and chose spring rates that were a little more tail happy. This resulted in plenty of rookie drivers hurtling off race tracks and roadways facing the wrong way. My insurance rates went up regularly as more and more of these cars were wrecked. So they wised up and balanced out the spring rates.

There are actually three "twins". The Toyota GT86 is sold everywhere but the US, where Scion carries the car. The GT86, the FR-S, and the BRZ all had different spring rates, with the GT86 having the softest rear rates, then the BRZ and then the FR-S. Car reviewers usually state that the BRZ is more balanced, but the FRS is more "fun".

Scion certainly has less of a brand image then Subaru, however FR-S customers seem to be treated much better with regards to Toyota service centers and aftermarket parts. I've heard countless horror stories of voided warranties at Subaru dealers and BRZ's. This is probably related to Subaru having plenty of experience with modified WRX's and STI's.

As for the tires, they are Michalin Primacy HP tires. Classified as a Summer touring tire, they are available on European market Prius's with the performance package (yes, overseas the Prius has a performance package lol). US bound Prius's do not come with the same tires and there is not a performance package option in the states.

The tires are not cheap, but are low rolling resistance tires with not much lateral grip. .89 on the skidpad with stock rubber, this jumps well into the .95 range with even a modest tire upgrade.
Having driven one I agreed with their reasoning for the tire choice. In a performance situation, these tires allow an inexperienced driver to entertain themselves with all facets of vehicle control whilst still being at reasonable speeds. As driver skill improves, grippier tires can be fitted. Some people don't get this, but the car is marketed to young novice drivers new to traditional sports cars. Emphasis is placed on driver control and less on outright performance.

But the bottom line is that the the twins are budget sports cars, and compromises had to be made. You get exactly what you need...a stiff capable chassis with good suspension, a torsion differential and a fantastic 6 speed transmission. Everything else is left up to the owner if they want improvements. The engine though anemic from the factory, is overbuilt and readily handles boost. Even the fuel system has extra capacity. There are tuners hitting almost 300whp on the stock fuel system with pump gas.

But if you are not into Tuner cars then don't even consider a twin. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. Now if I could stick a Coyote V8 in there.....YES PLEASE!

I was at one point VERY interested in building a turn-key LS2 Toyobaru. It just doesn't make sense for how cheap you can do the same thing in a Miata, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang