Mustang vs FR-S - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Duluth
Region: Georgia
Posts: 5
Mustang vs FR-S

Hello everyone,

Alright my husband has a 2014 FR-S and I have a 2014 V6 Mustang (auto). I was wondering if he would be able to keep up with me if we went to the track and raced? My baby is stock (not for too long) and the FR-S isn't.

FR-S has a stage 2 E85 tune, a unequal length header and an exhaust. In a nutshell it's a 2700lb car with 200rwhp.

I honestly believe he wouldn't keep up but before I go making fun of his little car, I want to make sure.

Whenever the subject gets brought up he just avoids the question. Typical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140730_234028.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	164162  
TaTis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackFiveOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 83
This is the V8 section tho.....


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlackFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Duluth
Region: Georgia
Posts: 5
I'm sorry, I'm new I thought I was in the right section. Can the mods move it the proper section?
TaTis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaTis View Post
I'm sorry, I'm new I thought I was in the right section. Can the mods move it the proper section?

Moved


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,209
With the Mustang being an auto, it's likely the FRS might be able to hang on the rear bumper (drag strip) assuming it's a manual and has a good driver.

However, get a decent tune on the Mustang and that Toyobaru will need more power to keep up.

If you are talking about a track with turns, it will be a drivers race.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
You will be fine if you can drive it. Those FRS's are slooooooowww in a straight line


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Ok we can guess with math, but the theory is too close. In theory it should be yours "could be" better; but in practice things are different then theory.

305 Flywheel - 20% max loss = ~ 245rwhp in a ~3400 pound car = 13.80 / 1
305 Flywheel - 15% best loss = ~260rwhp in a ~3400 pound car = 13.07/1
RS 2700 / 200rwhp = 13.5 /1

What types of rear gears does the RS have for quick off the line? Is it a Stick?
Yours is an auto , 2.73 gears or 3.31s gears?

Sounds like a drivers race to me if the cars are so close?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Duluth
Region: Georgia
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
With the Mustang being an auto, it's likely the FRS might be able to hang on the rear bumper (drag strip) assuming it's a manual and has a good driver.

However, get a decent tune on the Mustang and that Toyobaru will need more power to keep up.

If you are talking about a track with turns, it will be a drivers race.
The FR-S is a 6 speed manual. My husband has never been to a drag track, but has done a few autocrosses and a couple track days on a road course. Me, personally I have never had a car worth taking to a track until I bought my Mustang and I haven't tracked this car yet sooo........ I have no idea who is the better drag racer.
TaTis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
R.R.STANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 138
Should be a win for the mustang. I tried to get an frs to play the other day and he stayed back lol
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaTis View Post
The FR-S is a 6 speed manual. My husband has never been to a drag track, but has done a few autocrosses and a couple track days on a road course. Me, personally I have never had a car worth taking to a track until I bought my Mustang and I haven't tracked this car yet sooo........ I have no idea who is the better drag racer.
Well, if you put it in "S" Mode, and just floor it and let the auto shift its-self my money is you will win ! He wont shift perfect and others are sayin' RS' are slow on straights

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
My money is on the Mustang.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Duluth
Region: Georgia
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Ok we can guess with math, but the theory is too close. In theory it should be yours "could be" better; but in practice things are different then theory.

305 Flywheel - 20% max loss = ~ 245rwhp in a ~3400 pound car = 13.80 / 1
305 Flywheel - 15% best loss = ~260rwhp in a ~3400 pound car = 13.07/1
RS 2700 / 200rwhp = 13.5 /1

What types of rear gears does the RS have for quick off the line? Is it a Stick?
Yours is an auto , 2.73 gears or 3.31s gears?

Sounds like a drivers race to me if the cars are so close?

I refuse to learn more than I know about his car. All the things that I know are because he actually had to take money out of the account and I wanted to know what it was going towards. LOL and I do know its a manual
2.73
TaTis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
When you go up to the line put your left foot on the brake hard, then start to give it gas, around 2k rpm then when the lights go. Let go on the last yellow (yes leave on the yellow not the green, by the time you are actually moving it'll be green). When you go let go of the brake and mash the gas. You will win.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Duluth
Region: Georgia
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
When you go up to the line put your left foot on the brake hard, then start to give it gas, around 2k rpm then when the lights go. Let go on the last yellow (yes leave on the yellow not the green, by the time you are actually moving it'll be green). When you go let go of the brake and mash the gas. You will win.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
Thanks for the tip, now I just have to get him to go to the track. The only track he will be willing to go to are road courses. I believe he secretly already knows what will happen......
TaTis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Definitely rooting for the Mustang, but as a side note: If they offered a turbo 4 STI version of the BRZ/ FR-S it would be an amazing car. ~300 ish HP in that tiny car with the same handling characteristics? Hell yes.
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 79
I tried to sit in an frs to test drive one. Never even started the car. Anyone over 5'8" will have their head in the roof.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBuffalo View Post
I tried to sit in an frs to test drive one. Never even started the car. Anyone over 5'8" will have their head in the roof.
I considered one of these cars until I sat in one (I'm 6'1") and realized it's too small. Crappy outward vision eliminated my sadness over it being so small. Im too old to buy tiny cramped cars and pretend they are comfortable or safe for me.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newport News VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Definitely rooting for the Mustang, but as a side note: If they offered a turbo 4 STI version of the BRZ/ FR-S it would be an amazing car. ~300 ish HP in that tiny car with the same handling characteristics? Hell yes.
YES
__________________
2014 Oxford tri-pedal 3.7L- Airaid CAI, BBK 73mm TB, MGW Shifter, DSS Driveshaft, Whiteline Bracket, BBK Shorties, Lethal O/R H-pipe with HighFlow Cats Installed, Vibrant Resonators, Pypes Axlebacks. Track Pack Wheels!
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Put your spare tire and jack in your husbands trunk and you should be fine.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendora California
Region: California
Posts: 519
Lol here's me and an FRS. I was stock but 3.55s and a tune

http://youtu.be/XtUvYVZd-vs


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberBlue1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Malverne
Region: New York
Posts: 2,275
That FR-S is slow.
Not sure why my post was deleted earlier in the thread, but I burn FR-S's no problem. They are really slow in a straight line. Like, really, really slow.
__________________
"At least it isn't a Honda"
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
That FR-S is slow.
Not sure why my post was deleted earlier in the thread, but I burn FR-S's no problem. They are really slow in a straight line. Like, really, really slow.
Zero talk of street racing being allowed on this forum is the reason.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberBlue1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Malverne
Region: New York
Posts: 2,275
Whoops, didn't mean it like that my bad. Wasn't even street racing, under the speed limit entire time. I'll clarify that next time.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
"At least it isn't a Honda"
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Whoops, didn't mean it like that my bad. Wasn't even street racing, under the speed limit entire time. I'll clarify that next time.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Aggressively accelerating up to speed limit

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberBlue1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Malverne
Region: New York
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Aggressively accelerating up to speed limit

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws

Exactly :p


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
"At least it isn't a Honda"
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Aggressively accelerating up to speed limit

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
Don't forget the footage was shot in Mexico. On a closed course.
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Ya don't need to go to Mexico, just go to the Nevada Black Rock Desert 2 hours north of Fernley on 447, 2-1/3 hours out of Reno, a few miles North of Gerlach NV. They run jet cars on the 22 mile long dry lake bed and shoot rockets to 77 miles into outer space. Oh an once a year they do burning man there.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Lol its not Mexico, it's "Mexico".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
We all find ourselves in "mexico" occasionally

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
We all find ourselves in "mexico" occasionally

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
"Mexico" still has streets though. So wouldn't that still be considered street racing? And not allowed on here?

hmmmmmmm
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Mexico has a lot of closed streets one could use for racing!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
But in all seriousness what do you hell do when a car that has no business facing you tries to at the lights? I like to make them think we are racing and then watch them take off like a dumb *** while I'm putting along

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
But in all seriousness what do you hell do when a car that has no business facing you tries to at the lights? I like to make them think we are racing and then watch them take off like a dumb *** while I'm putting along

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
Pretty much the same. Some kid out here has a Chrysler 300 C that is ghettofied to no end and straight pipes. He likes to make it a habit of revving his engine at just about anything that moves. At stop lights I like to do that very thing. One of these days there's going to be a cop there and it will be HILARIOUS.
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pittsburg
Region: California
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaTis View Post
Hello everyone,

Alright my husband has a 2014 FR-S and I have a 2014 V6 Mustang (auto). I was wondering if he would be able to keep up with me if we went to the track and raced? My baby is stock (not for too long) and the FR-S isn't.

FR-S has a stage 2 E85 tune, a unequal length header and an exhaust. In a nutshell it's a 2700lb car with 200rwhp.

I honestly believe he wouldn't keep up but before I go making fun of his little car, I want to make sure.

Whenever the subject gets brought up he just avoids the question. Typical.

Frs are slow, I've got 3 videos of me racing my friends and I smoked him 3 times lol, you will win hands down. YouTube channel is dmartinezproductions .


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Region: Texas
Posts: 182
I owned an FR-S for 1 year prior to trading it in on my GT. If the FR-S was stock it would be a slaughter. However he has made the perfect choice in mods for his car. The E85 tune and UEL header really bring that 2.0l boxer to life. Should put him solidly in the high 13's if he can drive.
With a perfect launch he has a chance. But the auto transmission in the mustang makes it much easier. I wouldn't bet the farm on either car however.

For those above who haven't had the chance to drive one, its a blast. I cannot express in words the joy driving that car brought me. Everything was pin point. The brakes, the transmission, the turn-in. It is such a better drivers car on every level compared to a "stock" Mustang that there are times I want to be driving it again. Then I put my right foot down and do something that the FR-S never could, and that's go somewhere. The damn thing was no faster then Oprah walking by a bakery, and there wasn't really a cheap way to change that either. And after 20 minutes of driving the car everything I said above gets thrown out and replaced with expletives about how much I hated it. It was a track day toy or a short trip car. Commuting in the FR-S was a disaster, and I'm not even that large of a person.

The FR-S was a perfect track car (on a budget). They don't get much better outside of purpose built kit cars or a race spec Miata. But as a daily driver, the car was mediocre. Small, loud, and the build quality was dodgy. I had a popping noise emanating from the trunk (TSB to fix that now), and the weatherstripping on the drivers side was eating itself to death.

I tell you though, had a pretty good factory stereo. Much more clarity then the Shaker in the mustang. But it didn't matter though because above 60mph you couldn't hear it over the road and wind noise lol.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:51 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.